Author Topic: Anyone here play the Guitar?  (Read 118364 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Anyone here play the Guitar?
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2007, 01:05:40 pm »
I think on that note (no pun intended) I think I will grab the exotic wood Ibanez, or at least go to my local decent guitar shop - guitar village, which has loads in stock, with a view to getting that. Then pick up that f105 when I'm a bit more advanced.

thanks.

No problems - just make sure you get to play the guitar before you buy

Make sure you play EACH note on each Fret - all the way up past the 12 bar and beyond

make a note of any buzzing (especially lines of buzzing) or poor fingering (For example, the 1st fret, 1st string then the 2nd fret 2nd string, then the 3rd fret 3rd string etc) as this could indicate a twist in the neck - these can usually be fixed by the shop

The buzzing would likely be caused by a bad setup (again this can be fixed by the shop)

If you decide to go for a much better (but cheaper) second hand guitar - again check the setup and make sure the nect isn't twisted or warped - and again the shop will fix this.

In older guitars you can get a real bargain - if you get one that is worn then get the shop (or a decent repairist) to refret and stone the guitar - followed by a complete setup (This just means they stick new frets in it - then use a 'stone' to straighten and lower the frets, then set it up from scratch)

You could end up with the most beautiful guitar you've played set up just for you and at a fraction of a cost of new ones*

*Doesn't usually work with Fenders or Gibsons as they hold their price really really well**

** Which is why it's always worth considering going after Gibsons and Fenders***

*** I'm talking the proper ones not the ones made by substandard plants or copies
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2007, 08:29:09 pm »
Pretty much all the good advice has been given to. I just started teaching again recently, and I forget just how clueless people are at first when it comes to the instrument. I naively set out a couple of songs to teach and haven't got around to any yet because I'm still showing the kids basic technique and chords.

It's frustrating the life out of the bloke who owns the shop because he naively encourages the kids to plug into to tranny amps and crack up the volume, which is just utterly pointless. One of the other teachers there has been teaching kids who can't play bar chords to play Satriani. Of course, the best bit, is that he hasn't taught these kids to hold a plectrum, so they're trying to play Satch Boogie with just their middle finger ::)

Frustrating beyond belief.

Anyways, the best advise I can give is probably to take it slowly and for good sakes try and become a rounded guitarist now. I've just started learning to finger pick recently and I'm finding it an absolute nightmare. I mean, I'm struggling with More Than Words for chrissakes. Whereas when it comes to your basic rock guitar/shredding I'm - without meaning to come across as cocky - 'capable'. Not jaw-droppingly good, but I can do enough to get me by to a very reasonable standard.

I'm a bit obsessed though, when it comes to learning new runs and techniques I just spend hours on them slowly building up because I had a habit of racing through things before and getting stuck in a habit of playing them poorly. I still struggle with certain things. And until the last year, I was so obsessed with practicing lead, that my rhythm technique was shot to shit.

Unfortunately I'm in a band with someone like that at the moment. The guy can pick like a maniac, but he can't actually follow my rhythm at all. Nor can he pull off a decent vibrato or basically just "hold back". Typical over-playing fretwanker who has no basic rhythm technique and can only pick if it's at a 100mph - Do not go down that road because you will get unbelievably frustrated when you realise (and eventually you will) how shit it sounds and you try and 'fix' your technique.

Aye, basically that's my cliché "It's better to be 'good' than fast" lecture for you. Hope all goes well for you. Don't get too disheartened if you can't do something straight away, certain things have taken me years to perfect and I'm still practice them in some cases.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Shabby14

• Anny Roader
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2007, 11:40:04 am »
a reply to the post above mine... i totally agree with you about kids who want to play guitar and plug into an amp on an electric and try their hardest to play the loudest note possible. When you're in a music store, they're always upstairs pissing about, gets on your nerves well bad.

I was taught through  tabluture (sp) for about 3 months. After I understood it, I didn't need lessons anymore, and the internet was all I needed. If there's a song you like, just search for it in Ultimate Guitar, and bingo, you can play the song. I started on an Electric, which was the wrong option, then I was going to buy an acoustic, but while looking for one online, I found a Fender Jazzmaster for £440 so I bought it instead. I bought an Electro Acoustic in January and I love it, I think i play it more than my electric now, but when i go back to my electric, it feels so much different than before! I advise you to get an acoustic first, for sure!

I started when I turned 13, and I wish I would have started earlier, because I'd be better than I am now. I'm 16 and a half now, but my progress is slow, most probably becuase the music I like isn't very difficult, and I like to relax by playing songs I like basically..

Here are a few samplers.. a Jack Johnson Medley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPqc6_9Q364

Don't Look Back in Anger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll8TGROQLxg

Rewind by Paolo Nutini
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwJZg90USeE

and Jenny Don't be hasty on the Jazzmaster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUmtc3g4vXg

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
  • I'd walk a million miles...
« Reply #83 on: May 5, 2007, 11:40:54 am »
How's all the fellow beginners getting on then?

i'm not really having a problem with learning the chords for tunes as such, the difficulty for me at the moment is fine tuning what i have learned for a particular tune, ie, hitting the wrong strings by mistake and getting those horrible twangs! and also getting the rythim and timing right! i know it will probably come with practice though!

has anyone here visited www.Licklibrary.com ? there are some awesome tutorial dvd's for sale on here!

you can buy dvd's which teach you to play some of the biggest rock tracks known to man, from AC/DC to The Who!

I bought the Green Day one a couple of weeks ago which has 5 songs to learn, the teacher is fantastic and explains everything very clearly and slowly, breaking everything down into measures, I would highly recommend this site for anyone wanting to learn their favourite ever tune very quickly, it's much more fun than learning to play nursery rhymes in books like 'guitar for dummies'!

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: May 5, 2007, 12:37:12 pm »
How's all the fellow beginners getting on then?

i'm not really having a problem with learning the chords for tunes as such, the difficulty for me at the moment is fine tuning what i have learned for a particular tune, ie, hitting the wrong strings by mistake and getting those horrible twangs! and also getting the rythim and timing right! i know it will probably come with practice though!

has anyone here visited www.Licklibrary.com ? there are some awesome tutorial dvd's for sale on here!

you can buy dvd's which teach you to play some of the biggest rock tracks known to man, from AC/DC to The Who!

I bought the Green Day one a couple of weeks ago which has 5 songs to learn, the teacher is fantastic and explains everything very clearly and slowly, breaking everything down into measures, I would highly recommend this site for anyone wanting to learn their favourite ever tune very quickly, it's much more fun than learning to play nursery rhymes in books like 'guitar for dummies'!

Good site, thanks.

Did you buy 'guitar pro', it's really good, and when you combine it with a good tabs site, such as

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

you can find an amazing amount of music to learn (and not have to do nursery rhymes).

I haven't been going as long as you.  I can read music now, I know where all the notes are on the neck, have learnt 35 chords (although I still can't play them all well), but I'm having a struggle like you with rhythm and timing, and transitions.  I'm guessing this all gets better over time if you practice enough.

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
  • I'd walk a million miles...
« Reply #85 on: May 5, 2007, 07:08:03 pm »
Good site, thanks.

Did you buy 'guitar pro', it's really good, and when you combine it with a good tabs site, such as

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

you can find an amazing amount of music to learn (and not have to do nursery rhymes).

I haven't been going as long as you.  I can read music now, I know where all the notes are on the neck, have learnt 35 chords (although I still can't play them all well), but I'm having a struggle like you with rhythm and timing, and transitions.  I'm guessing this all gets better over time if you practice enough.

I have seen 'Guitar Pro' advertised mate, and looked at the sample sheets, thought it looked a bit too complex for me, it would probably take me as long to work the proramme as it would to learn a tune though!
how does it work and how much did you pay for it?

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: May 5, 2007, 07:27:52 pm »
I have seen 'Guitar Pro' advertised mate, and looked at the sample sheets, thought it looked a bit too complex for me, it would probably take me as long to work the proramme as it would to learn a tune though!
how does it work and how much did you pay for it?

It was 59 euros, did an online download.

There is a phenomenal amount of music online that you can download and use in the program.

The program "plays" the music, including all the instruments, and you can slow it down to a speed you can keep up with.  It also displays the fretboard as it's playing, so you can see the fingering required.  It's a great way to learn songs.

I think you can also compose music on it.  It probably has a lot of capability that I haven't figured out yet!

You can download it on a trial basis, get some tabs from somewhere like ultimate-guitar, and try it.  On the trial basis, it limits how many bars are shown, but it's enough for you to make a call on whether it's useful to you.

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
« Reply #87 on: May 5, 2007, 07:34:51 pm »
Guitar Pro is a great programme. I got it free from a mate of mine. It´s a very useful one when learning how to play cover songs on guitar. It´s not complex at all - definitely very easy to use. I can fully recommend it.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
Learning the Guitar (FAO Rawk music types)
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2007, 10:16:37 pm »
I am 26 on Tuesday (yay me). I have decided I need to learn a new skill, something to relax with, so I have decided I want to learn the guitar.

I need some good advice......Best way to learn, equipment, patience etc

I don't expect to be doing the Scar Tissue solo in a day or anything so know it will take time. Ideally I want to learn electric, Lo wants to try acoustic.

So what should I get (needs to be fairly cheap.....are the ones you get in Cash Converters and places ok? are there any on ebay?)

What are the best places to get lessons? Can you self teach?

Will my RAWK daddy give me tips?

Offline ds2190

• Simon Cowell + Oswald Moseley's pernickety lovechild
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Learning the Guitar (FAO Rawk music types)
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2007, 10:20:02 pm »
I am 26 on Tuesday (yay me). I have decided I need to learn a new skill, something to relax with, so I have decided I want to learn the guitar.

I need some good advice......Best way to learn, equipment, patience etc

I don't expect to be doing the Scar Tissue solo in a day or anything so know it will take time. Ideally I want to learn electric, Lo wants to try acoustic.

So what should I get (needs to be fairly cheap.....are the ones you get in Cash Converters and places ok? are there any on ebay?)

What are the best places to get lessons? Can you self teach?

Will my RAWK daddy give me tips?

What is your budget?

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2007, 10:20:53 pm »
What is your budget?

Don't quite know, people suggest things and my reaction will tell me the budget

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Will there ever be a Rainbow ?
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2007, 10:23:46 pm »
Best off getting an acoustic guitar, much easier to learn on.  Don't go mad with the price either, some of the best guitars for beginners are the cheapest.

Get tough strings as well as it will do your head in changing them every five minutes.

There are numerous ways to learn and only you know which one suits you best.

Personally I play Piano and go to a music teacher and I feel this is the best way for me.

Whatever you do mate, good luck with it.

If music be the food of love, then i'll have a bacon double cheeseburger... or something like that.
Come on RAWK lets ave it and you can bring your fuckin dinner as well.

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/ <-- Read this JFT96

MICHAEL SHIELDS YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2007, 10:24:02 pm »
i would check ebay, otherwise just go to your local music shop with your budget in mind and they will give you advice on what would be best for you.

it all depends on whether you want a electric or acoustic guitar.

One thing i would suggest you to do is get lessons of a teacher, my dad and uncle tried to learn by themselves and they ended up giving up in frustration, i learned by having lessons and stopped after 3 years.

i would suggest a place in crosby called 'High Notes' and ask for a lad called Mark, awesome teacher.

Offline ds2190

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2007, 10:24:31 pm »
Best off getting an accoustic guitar, much easier to learn on.

Get tough strings as well as it will do your head in changing them every five minutes.

There are numerous ways to learn and only you know which one suits you best.

Personally I play Piano and go to a music teacher and I feel this is the best way for me.

Whatever you do mate, good luck with it.

If music be the food of love, then i'll have a bacon double cheeseburger... or something like that.

I preferred learning on an electric personally.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2007, 10:25:35 pm »

same here, found it easier as the neck is smaller.

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2007, 10:26:20 pm »

Easier was a bad word. Benefical/ better would have been more appropriate.

The best piece of advice I can actually give is learn to read music.

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2007, 10:26:33 pm »
Electric attracts the bitches aswell  :P

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2007, 10:27:19 pm »
If your looking at electrics things like these are decent to have a look at!

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/73153?s=9134x$1$clasqg8Z$YlYT7A0FlhFkbpbfMbfDf/x0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o2076986

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/73153?s=9134x$1$clasqg8Z$YlYT7A0FlhFkbpbfMbfDf/x0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o2076986

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-stratocaster/1006

Or for something a little different the kramers are decent value

http://www.musicyo.com/brandpos.asp?dept_id=1&Series=Designer%20Series

"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2007, 10:27:23 pm »
Electric attracts the bitches aswell  :P

You can always move on to that mate but acoustic is the "bread and butter".

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2007, 10:29:27 pm »
Easier was a bad word. Benefical/ better would have been more appropriate.

The best piece of advice I can actually give is learn to read music.

there is no need for you to learn music, i seem to be able to play fine without having to read music, my neighbour who plays in a band and has been playing for 25 years cannot read music.

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2007, 10:29:32 pm »
Also have to agree with the lessons thing, it gives you a good base to start from. Also if i were you when you get your guitar if you buy online have a professional look at it for you as it will possibly need a set up, which would probably cost about £50 but is well worth it
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2007, 10:29:34 pm »
You can always move on to that mate but acoustic is the "bread and butter".

I was kidding above ;)
Will prob go for acoustic as the amp would cost extra on the leccy

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2007, 10:32:18 pm »
you can look at getting a decent acoustic to start you out for about 80 quid,

i would urge you to get a fender acoustic starter set , 90 quid and you get everything you will need including tuner etc.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2007, 10:34:07 pm »
you can look at getting a decent acoustic to start you out for about 80 quid,

i would urge you to get a fender acoustic starter set , 90 quid and you get everything you will need including tuner etc.

Got any decent link to recommendations?

Offline simo77

• Main Stander
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2007, 10:34:51 pm »
I started a few months ago and go to a tutor. Starting to get really frustrated, especially as the tutor talks for the first ten minutes or so about what he's been up-to lately, constantly gets interupted, answers the phone etc :no :no
At £15 per half hour, plus the travel, I can see us parting company quite soon.
My cousin who lives in west derby brought me a flyer from liverpool adult learning services (www.liverpool.gov.uk/learninliverpool) who are running guitar for beginners courses at various locations in liverpool. They are £48 for 10x 2 hour lessons, starting at various times of during the day and evenings. Just wish I was a bit closer to make it worth my while with the travelling. Give it a go mate, you'll love it.

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2007, 10:36:20 pm »
there is no need for you to learn music, i seem to be able to play fine without having to read music, my neighbour who plays in a band and has been playing for 25 years cannot read music.

I suppose it depends on why you want to play and whether it is important to you. I would say learning to read music is every bit as important as learning to play it.

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2007, 10:36:24 pm »
I'm not learning the guitar cant be arsed to be honest  :P

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2007, 10:40:28 pm »
I suppose it depends on why you want to play and whether it is important to you. I would say learning to read music is every bit as important as learning to play it.

i don't understand why i would need to learn to though, i mean all songs are tabbed so in what circumstance would i need to learn to read music.

Offline ds2190

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2007, 10:55:59 pm »
Wouldn't recommend Encore personally. Look cheap, feel cheap.

As for lessons, unless you really struggle teaching yourself you shouldn't need them. YouTube is full of tutorials that I find more helpful than actual lessons. Never had a formal guitar lesson.

Sez_20

« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2007, 11:12:54 pm »

I can read music. I can also play guitar. Never have I had to use the first thing to do the second. It's easy to read guitar tab anyway.

Depends how you think you'll learn best Brad. You said you'd like to learn to play to relax. IN that case, I wouldn't bother with lessons. Who's bothered about your technical ability or bad habits when you're just going to be chilling by yourself. Some of the best guitar players I know never had a proper lesson. Personally, I enjoyed playing guitar more because there was no one telling me what to play or asking where my theory homework was.

Get a chord book or get someone to show you a few basic chords or find a tune you like that only has a few easy chords in (plenty of them) and you'll learn in no time.

As for a guitar, I recommend learning on an acoustic. If you learn on an electric (apart from the cheap ones being a bit nasty), you'll get used to the smaller neck and lighter strings. My first guitar was a £40 second hand best seller effort. It was fine for me and I still have it now, still sounds great. Anything that feels good and has a nice tone (to you, not what anyone else says) is fine, regardless of the price.

Offline Okkervil

• Smells... love me love my gas
  • Legacy Fan
    • Support The Retired Greyhound Trust.
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2007, 11:16:50 pm »
Ive wanted to learn guitar for ages. Ive have some basic knowledge of the saxophone, from when i was younger, but thats it.

I always struggled to read music  :( My brain just doesn't seem to be wired up right to read it for some reason!  ???

Recently however Ive started to think about trying an instrument again and the acoustic guitar or mandolin particularly appeal.

Good luck learning Brad.
To make men Socialists is nothing, but to make Socialism human is a great thing. - Oscar Wilde

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2007, 11:17:32 pm »

Just get The Beatles Complete for guitar.

Teach you all you need to know...

87:13

Offline Shabby14

• Anny Roader
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2007, 11:18:46 pm »
If you just want to play to relax... then IMO there's no need to read music. Read tab and learn chords.. and you'll play some of your favourite songs in a few weeks :)

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2007, 11:20:45 pm »
Ta for all this people :)

Will report back with progress over the weeks

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2007, 11:57:13 pm »
The bible...

"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2007, 01:11:37 am »
Nice one! Keep this thread updated with how you get on- I've always regretted not learning to play the electric guitar or piano (mainly piano) when I was younger. If you can get into it at 26, you'll be an inspiration for me to start at 18/19  :P

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2007, 01:16:15 am »

Offline Jin

• ky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2007, 02:16:25 am »

Lennon and McCartney couldnt read music (well, I think McCartney learnt to later) and thats good enough for me. Tabs are easy to read once you get the hang of it.

What I would suggest, along with that awesome Beatles chordbook, is not to go for the cheapest guitar in the shop. WHile there are exceptions to the rule, I've found that the cheapest guitars can actually be harder to learn on. My cousin struggled for ages on this crapy acoustic he bought for 30 quid. After a year of learning, he lost interest in it because he felt  that he wasnt really getting anywhere. He knew chords and how to strum, but he couldnt change chords at a good speed, couldnt really play notes and stuff properly, and everything he played sounded like shit. So the poor guy just gave up.

When I had a go at his guitar, it became obvious why he wasnt improving. The strings were waaaaay to tight for a beginner, even I could barely get a sound out of it even when  pressing hard. The sound didnt resonate at all. and the neck was too thin, our fingers just got in the way. And just the feel of the guitar was cheap and poorly made. The thing was just shite, but the salesman had told him it was the perfect beginners guitar.

I suggested that he save up for a better guitar (after Pete Townesending that salesman with that perfect beginners guitar). He eventually got a lovely Fender acoustic and found that much better to play. He realised he wasnt shit after all, and now hes a pretty good guitarist.

I suggest when you do choose a guitar, to take a friend who plays down to the shop with you and get him/her to have a go at some guitars.