Author Topic: New York... have you been?  (Read 233730 times)

Offline momo22

• Legacy Fan
Re: New York... have you been?
« Reply #1640 on: November 11, 2017, 09:23:59 pm »
Me and my partner arrive in New York on the 15th for 4 days, then we fly to Vegas. It's my first trip to America (she's done both before). So over the past couple of weeks I've read all 43 pages of this thread, it's helped loads but I still have a few questions.

I fancied going to an NHL game and I wanted to go to a Rangers game but I think they're away during the dates we're there. Is it worth going to see the Islanders in Brooklyn instead? Should we dedicate a day going round Brooklyn? could also do the Brooklyn bridge and visit Grimaldi's. Anything else a must see in Brooklyn?

Things we will definitely do whilst there:

Top of the Rock
Times Square
Central Park
Ground Zero
Staten Island Ferry
Katz's Diner
Wall Street Tour
Possibly the day in Brooklyn
Would an NBA game more enjoyable then NHL?

Anything else a must see? We are going to go back in February so don't have to cram it all in but want to be as busy as possible.

Would also like to go to a music venue or concert for R&B or Hip Hop, anywhere with music and a good atmosphere will do though. I had a look at BB Kings and we miss Method Man and Redman by a couple of days, any similar venues to there?

We're staying in Hells Kitchen and seen someone recommend Five Napkin Burger any other recommendations around there? Maybe even just a bar to end our long days with a few beers.

We probably won't have time to fit this in but any decent night clubs to go to that don't cost an arm and a leg? What's the usual dress code in New York clubs?

Last thing now. The Liverpool match! Reading at the start it seemed that 11th Street Bar was the place to go, but recent comments don't seem so sure. Is Carraghers the best alternative?

Apologies for the long post, just excited to get over there.
Now you think Ronald McDonald gonna go down to the basement and say, "Hey Mr. Nugget - you the bomb. We sellin' chicken faster than you can tear the bone out. So I'm gonna write my clowney ass name on this fat-ass cheque for you."

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1641 on: November 12, 2017, 12:43:08 am »
You seem to have a good list there. For a day in Brooklyn, I really like the Brooklyn Brewery tour (Williamsburg). Would also recommend Lucali (Carroll Gardens) for pizza - best pizza I've had in N.Y. They don't take reservations so get there when they open if you can, it's also byob. Brooklyn is huge though so doing Brooklyn Bridge and a few other neighborhoods in one day might not be easy. Not as many touristy things as Manhattan but it would be cool to check it out.

If you're into museums you should go to the Met or Natural History when you're near Central Park or the 9/11 museum when you're at ground zero.

I live near the 11th st bar so it's usually my go to for the match. It's small so you'd need to get there early if it's a big game. Its good if you can get a seat down the back with the big screen but you shouldn't go out of your way to go there. Carragher's and the Irish American Pub (on John st) are just as good and a lot bigger. If you do go to 11th st though make sure to go to Tompkins Square Bagels for breakfast!

If you're staying in hell's Kitchen you should call in at Rudy's for a $3 pint and a free hotdog. It's a real dive bar but usually a good laugh.

Also, I saw the Islanders once and they were shite. It'd be like going to Liverpool to watch Everton. Although the Barclays Center is a bit nicer than Goodson  ;D

Can't be of much help in terms of clubbing but I'd guess there are a lot of good R&B / hip-hop places in the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

Enjoy!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1642 on: November 12, 2017, 11:16:22 am »
Not long to go :scarf

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1643 on: November 12, 2017, 11:16:21 pm »
Last thing now. The Liverpool match! Reading at the start it seemed that 11th Street Bar was the place to go, but recent comments don't seem so sure. Is Carraghers the best alternative?

Apologies for the long post, just excited to get over there.
Hey, let me know which place you watch the game. I'm there for Everton match.

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1644 on: November 12, 2017, 11:23:07 pm »
Was in Central Park with a mate about ten years ago and got talking to some British lads who were playing footy. Anyway one of them was a scouser and we asked him if there was anywhere he’d recommend to watch the reds against Chelsea(fa cup semi final) which was the next day. He suggested Nevada Smiths. Anyway we ended up watching it in a random pub due to where we were sightseeing at the time. Fast forward another couple of days and my mate and I are crossing the Brooklyn Bridge and when we get to the far side my mate hears a voice behind him ‘hello mate, did you make it to Nevada smiths?’ Very strange coincidence that in a city of around 8 million people we bumped into that same fella at rush hour in a completely different part of the city.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1645 on: November 14, 2017, 10:03:55 am »
It better to book excursions for nyc prior to going or whilst i'm there?

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1646 on: November 14, 2017, 10:26:17 am »
It better to book excursions for nyc prior to going or whilst i'm there?
i booked mine there

as i said above the guy we booked from on the street allowed us to extend our hop on hop off bus for longer and threw in a free river cruise around staten island. we wouldnt have got that before

i dont remember the full ins and outs price wise and what not but we got a much better deal

talk nice to them
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1647 on: November 14, 2017, 03:04:20 pm »
i booked mine there

as i said above the guy we booked from on the street allowed us to extend our hop on hop off bus for longer and threw in a free river cruise around staten island. we wouldnt have got that before

i dont remember the full ins and outs price wise and what not but we got a much better deal

talk nice to them
Cheers!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1648 on: November 14, 2017, 03:06:47 pm »
Cheers!
talk nice

but also be prepared to walk off. bargaining

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #1649 on: November 14, 2017, 05:06:41 pm »
Nevada Smiths.
Shite MU pub.

Hey, let me know which place you watch the game. I'm there for Everton match.
Carras is OK, as is Football Factory.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:08:21 pm by jambutty »
Kill the humourless

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1650 on: November 14, 2017, 11:05:34 pm »
talk nice

but also be prepared to walk off. bargaining
Carras is OK, as is Football Factory.
Cheers.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1651 on: November 15, 2017, 11:55:40 pm »
Just got 6 tickets to see The Lion King on Broadway in a couple of weeks when family come to visit. Good times.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1652 on: November 16, 2017, 12:32:13 am »
Staying at The Langham Place
Family wanted breakfast in the hotel, $35 a day per person, ok thanks for that. $10 round the corner

Already booked all of the evening meals via opentable to ensure we get in at Christmas
Currently pre booking the main things we want to do.

Love New York, vibrant city

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1653 on: November 16, 2017, 09:05:40 am »
Just got 6 tickets to see The Lion King on Broadway in a couple of weeks when family come to visit. Good times.
saw it

was cool.

Staying at The Langham Place
Family wanted breakfast in the hotel, $35 a day per person, ok thanks for that. $10 round the corner

Already booked all of the evening meals via opentable to ensure we get in at Christmas
Currently pre booking the main things we want to do.

Love New York, vibrant city

the two times i went i never got breakfast in hotel. we found one lovely spot but dont ask me where or went to subway

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1654 on: November 16, 2017, 03:19:29 pm »
the two times i went i never got breakfast in hotel. we found one lovely spot but dont ask me where or went to subway

Last time we went we stayed at the millennium on broadway. Found a great little breakfast place around the corner. However, it’s too much ch trouble to do that with kids. O.K

So I’ll be getting my $35 worth and not eating again until evening.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1655 on: November 16, 2017, 03:23:11 pm »
Last time we went we stayed at the millennium on broadway. Found a great little breakfast place around the corner. However, it’s too much ch trouble to do that with kids. O.K

So I’ll be getting my $35 worth and not eating again until evening.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1656 on: November 16, 2017, 04:09:06 pm »
If you're in NYC and looking to feed 4 decently and cheaply, go to a good deli and order 2 corned beef, turkey, ham, pastrami, roast beef or worreva sarnies to go with 4 extra pieces of bread.

You'll get half a pound of meat on each, which when spread amongst 4 of you should do nicely.
Kill the humourless

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1657 on: November 16, 2017, 05:56:35 pm »
saw it

was cool.

At the Minskoff? Where did you sit?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1658 on: November 16, 2017, 07:41:53 pm »
At the Minskoff? Where did you sit?
yes it was. Upper deck I think. Quite high up. But a great experience

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1659 on: November 16, 2017, 08:44:51 pm »
yes it was. Upper deck I think. Quite high up. But a great experience

We're central, half way up the top deck. Hopefully it's not like watching an animal-themed Subbuteo game.

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #1660 on: November 17, 2017, 09:38:56 pm »
Not really a theatre type personally but it was absolutely fantastic.
Our seats were orch p seats 1 and 3 next to the rail. Brilliant. Prepare to be amazed.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1661 on: November 18, 2017, 09:43:00 am »
Go see Matilda on Broadway, that was my favourite.

Also avoid that Applebees in Times Square, genuinely the worst place I've ever eaten in my life.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1662 on: December 4, 2017, 09:13:20 am »
Early morning game v Everton. Looking forward to watching it in NYC ;D

Online LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1663 on: December 5, 2017, 07:49:39 pm »
Early morning game v Everton. Looking forward to watching it in NYC ;D

The derby was on when i went to new york for the first time, definitely felt weird getting up at 7am to go to the pub to watch footy haha

luckily we won though, the bluenose who was with us was in a sulk all day hahaha!

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1664 on: December 5, 2017, 10:48:20 pm »
The derby was on when i went to new york for the first time, definitely felt weird getting up at 7am to go to the pub to watch footy haha

luckily we won though, the bluenose who was with us was in a sulk all season hahaha!
Corrected that for you mate.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1665 on: December 5, 2017, 11:04:31 pm »

luckily we won though, the bluenose who was with us was in a sulk all day hahaha!

Last time I was in NYC, I watched us play against Arsenal and get demolished [2015 away under Rodgers]. Had a shot of vodka at 7.30 in the morning, and there were Arsenal fans from London buying me pints to make me feel better about or loss  ;D

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #1666 on: December 6, 2017, 07:56:52 am »
I’ve been going for the week before Christmas for the few years, staying with friends. Not to do anything in particular, just to eat and drink and walk about. Love it.

This derby chat reminded me where I was watching the Mane derby last year. Convinced my friends to jib off work early to come and watch the game in Carragher’s. They had no clue what was going on as they found me a fair few rounds in. They ‘got it’ by full time, now one of them has converted and watches the reds almost weekly.

Not going this year. Sulking at the screen now  :(

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1667 on: December 7, 2017, 07:45:54 pm »

;D yeah will be an odd one. Long as we do the business - time its on could be early for all i care ;D

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1668 on: December 8, 2017, 05:01:10 pm »
Not really a theatre type personally but it was absolutely fantastic.
Our seats were orch p seats 1 and 3 next to the rail. Brilliant. Prepare to be amazed.

Outstanding. Absolutely brilliant.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1669 on: December 11, 2017, 07:57:49 pm »
Love the place.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1670 on: December 27, 2017, 09:06:03 pm »
Forgotten just how amazing his place is.

Ellis Island and got to go in Liberty’s pedestal

Drinking cocktails now. This place is even better when your kids are staring open mouthed at averything

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1671 on: December 29, 2017, 04:06:48 am »
Carmine’s on W44th Street. What a place. Highly recommended

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #1672 on: December 29, 2017, 09:12:55 am »
I was over in April for a first time visit, five days of either walking the streets of the Big Apple and hiring a car to drive out to each of the five Boroughs plus New Jersey.

I cant stress enough to get some decent trainers because after a few days my feet were literally on fire. You don't realise how much you actually walk but you end up paying for it big time.

We stayed near the Port Authority Bus Terminal and one of the more decent boozers we found was Lansdowne Road in the Hells Kitchen area. It gets packed but its worth a few hours in there.

If you have a travel card for the Subway - which is well worth investing in - then head down to O'Hara's on Cedar Street. Its by the WTC Memorial site and round the corner from the firehouse known as 'Ten House' (this was the firehouse which was directly opposite the WTC).

My pal is a Captain in the FDNY and took me into here for a few pints. The pub was actually damaged on 9/11 and re-built and now is like a hang out for off duty firefighters and cops. The walls and interior are decorated with patches from fire departments and police departments all over the world.

They have a huge photo album/scrapbook behind the bar which has photographs and letters from post 9/11, its quite an emotional read to be honest but well worth it.
The Guinness in here was by far the best I tasted during our stay and they do good food too.

If you are travelling out or have time on your hands, I really, really recommend Joyce's Tavern out on Staten Island. Its on Richmond Avenue and shows the game but the ale and food in there is top draw, plus we found the locals and staff genuinely nice people.

New York is boss, I love it.  ;)
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1673 on: December 29, 2017, 02:13:45 pm »
Going back in May! Superb city.

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1674 on: March 19, 2018, 04:04:25 pm »
Going in July as part of my honeymoon, also going Boston and Washington.

Aside from the main things to see, anyone got any hidden gems or not so touristy recommendations? Whether they are places to eat/drink or things to see. Cheers.
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1675 on: March 19, 2018, 10:47:37 pm »
Going at the start of may. Went back in 2005 i think last time so hopefully a good omen for liverpool :D

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1676 on: March 28, 2018, 10:22:03 pm »
soo, my girlfriend is desperate to go for her 30th so i'd love to make it happen. Money is the only problem, we bought a flat and don't really have any savings so some sort of deal where you can pay in installments would be ideal. Would like to go maybe early next year? January might be good time price wise. I'm thinking for probably 4-5 days. If anyone has any advice on deals or the best places to look  please point me in the right direction :)

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1677 on: March 28, 2018, 10:55:38 pm »
Anyone planning a trip in '18 should consider hearing YNWA on Broadway.  Carousel has been revived!
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1678 on: March 28, 2018, 10:56:18 pm »
Going in July as part of my honeymoon, also going Boston and Washington.

Aside from the main things to see, anyone got any hidden gems or not so touristy recommendations? Whether they are places to eat/drink or things to see. Cheers.
Scroll back
Kill the humourless

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1679 on: March 28, 2018, 11:23:19 pm »
Flew there this time five years ago. Got engaged at the time