Author Topic: Texas Hold 'Em Poker Tips  (Read 459330 times)

Offline AdamL

• Queenie's testicles, as seen in the Echo
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
Re: Texas Hold 'Em Poker Tips
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2006, 08:37:23 pm »
But the fact was i had hit 6 straights before that so i should have known that the possiblity of hitting another one would be high.

nice logic ;)

the stupid thing is, your play was 100% correct, and id reccomend doing exactly the same every single time you play from now on. you'll never know whats going to land after the flop. such is the chance you take
Momo Is Boss

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2006, 08:45:39 pm »
anyone looking at this thread now, i need a quick tip:

usualy when i play big tournaments they are no limit freeze outs. however right now im in a tournament which allows rebuys. 600 players to begin with, currently down to 560.

but yeah, how should the option of rebuys and add-ons affect my game? should i play looser? play my natrual game? so far ive played typically tight for me and managed to build my stack by about 30%, and yet i still find myself only middling in the field.

any tips or thoughts on whether i should play a natrual game or look to loosen up?
Momo Is Boss

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #202 on: July 1, 2006, 10:23:14 am »
Such a reassuring  line that!

same thing just happened to me. one twat at the table has been raising all in over and over and chasing everyone away. i got dealt KQs in middle position. table folded to me so i put in a raise of 3 times the blind. this twat comes piling in after me, all in. if it was anyone else id have probably let my hand go; chances are theres an ace in his hand which makes him favorite, and he could even already have his hand made with a pair. not to mention i didnt want to expose my chips to a coin flip.

but this prat must have raised all in 7 hands of the last 10, and no-one had called. there was no way he was getting hands that often, and he was probably full of confidence of taking my bet off the table. so i called.

he turned over 94o, and caught a 9 on the turn.

youve just got to shrug your shoulders, tell yourself that person isnt exactly gonna make thousands playing the game, and like fiend says, just be grateful there are players like him in the game because its their chips you take.

Isn't it better for someone else to wait and call him? Hopefully someone who manages to turn out to be a river rat?

btw , did you come to a conclusion on your rebuys?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #203 on: July 1, 2006, 01:59:13 pm »
Isn't it better for someone else to wait and call him? Hopefully someone who manages to turn out to be a river rat?

btw , did you come to a conclusion on your rebuys?

sort of - and its all a big scam! right ok well rebuys i can appreciate and understand. you get knocked out and want to continue playing, so you re-enter the tournament. makes sense enough i guess.

But add ons? Doesnt that defeat the whole object of the game, which is to increase your share of the chips by effective and good play? i found at the end of the first hour 80% of the people at the table (and i assume in the whole tournament) chose to add on. i was forced too as careful play meant i was middling in the field, but would have been stuck at the back after everyone else had added 1500 more chips.

where is the incentive to play well an play tightly if you know as soon as you're knocked out you can just get more chips, and even then you can double up by just doubling how much you pay for an entry fee? to put a typically left wing slant on it (a left wing slant on poker - bloody hell!) its all based on the ability to pay than it is on the quality of your game.

afterwards i entered a $25 freezeout, and found the play much tighter and much more conservative. got eliminated about half way through in that game.

i know it sounds like an excuse, but i just didnt get the cards at all yesterday. very very few premium hands landed with me, and those i did play i found myself not hitting flops, and always seeming to be up against 3 or 4 hands instead of just one, so even a strong bet probably wouldn't have took the pot down.
Momo Is Boss

Offline Reddave7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #204 on: July 2, 2006, 05:24:39 pm »
Right, I've been playing sit and go's these last few weeks. I've been playing fast ones that are £5.50 to enter plus 50p house fee. The blinds are the same as 10 seat tables but they go up every six hands. The top two are payed, 2nd receiving £7.50 and 1st receiving £22.50 so obviously 1st is the target. I find them a bit luck based as if yoUr cards try up ur pretty much fucked as the action is so quick. I was getting great success in these recently until I just started losing. Lucky I'd withdrawn funds early but I just lost everything. Don't know what happened but what can you do. Anyway I've now got a healthy :D £0.00 sitting in me account so what do you suggest I do. I'm thinking about sticking about 20 to 30 quid in to see if I can get going again but can't be fucked losing more. What should I do ?
RAWK Premier League Prediction Champion 08, 09
RAWK European Prediction Cup Champion 09/10

Offline Fiend

• Want's a Mod to 'give him one'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Got Weird Enough For Me
« Reply #205 on: July 2, 2006, 05:32:04 pm »
Fast sit n gos are hugely dependant on getting the right cards. The skill factor is diminished because of the ever increasing blinds.

If you think you are a decent player and improving why not play a normal blind speed. There would be less variance. You can still play short handed if that is your preferred type of game.

Offline Reddave7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #206 on: July 2, 2006, 05:44:46 pm »
Fast sit n gos are hugely dependant on getting the right cards. The skill factor is diminished because of the ever increasing blinds.

If you think you are a decent player and improving why not play a normal blind speed. There would be less variance. You can still play short handed if that is your preferred type of game.

Yeah I agree with the skill level going down in the fast ones but I find them more fun. I do play normal sit and go's as well but I prefer the fast ones. I don't really have enough money to play cash games either. You think I should deposit bout 20 quid in and play at bit more or leave it for a bit ?

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: July 2, 2006, 05:46:14 pm »

where is the incentive to play well an play tightly if you know as soon as you're knocked out you can just get more chips, and even then you can double up by just doubling how much you pay for an entry fee? to put a typically left wing slant on it (a left wing slant on poker - bloody hell!) its all based on the ability to pay than it is on the quality of your game.

The strategy when playing a rebuy tournament is very different from a freezeout. Its absolutely essential to build as big a stack as possible during the rebuy period. 

After the rebuy period ends then play settles down to a more normal style. But you get people who may have rebought 3 or 4 times and looked like a donk that have now built stacks of 15,000 vs tight players who have 4000.

I dont really play them often as I dont have the balls to play that loose however I won €1200 on Paddypowerpoker a few months back coming 2nd in one. :D

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: July 2, 2006, 05:51:02 pm »
Yeah I agree with the skill level going down in the fast ones but I find them more fun. I do play normal sit and go's as well but I prefer the fast ones. I don't really have enough money to play cash games either. You think I should deposit bout 20 quid in and play at bit more or leave it for a bit ?

£20 playing £5.50 tourneys is really not enough bankroll. I know they pay 33% of particapants but as you said really only 1st makes a profit. You should be playing with a bankroll of at least 10 times your buyin. Give it a go if you dont mind losing £20. If you win the first 1 or 2 tourneys you would be in a more comfortable position

Offline Reddave7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #209 on: July 2, 2006, 05:55:39 pm »
£20 playing £5.50 tourneys is really not enough bankroll. I know they pay 33% of particapants but as you said really only 1st makes a profit. You should be playing with a bankroll of at least 10 times your buyin. Give it a go if you dont mind losing £20. If you win the first 1 or 2 tourneys you would be in a more comfortable position

Yeah, I'm not gonna go skint if I lose 20 quid but I'm hoping to build it up. I might try and play at bit more on the 10 seat normal sit and go's. How should I be playing these ? Tight first 2 or 3 rounds then open up and be more agressive when the blinds are bigger and worth stealing ?

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #210 on: July 2, 2006, 06:01:05 pm »
The strategy when playing a rebuy tournament is very different from a freezeout. Its absolutely essential to build as big a stack as possible during the rebuy period. 

After the rebuy period ends then play settles down to a more normal style. But you get people who may have rebought 3 or 4 times and looked like a donk that have now built stacks of 15,000 vs tight players who have 4000.

I dont really play them often as I dont have the balls to play that loose however I won €1200 on Paddypowerpoker a few months back coming 2nd in one. :D

not gonna play those rebuy ones again from now, stick to freezeouts i reckon. the style of play was just too loose. didnt like it at all
Momo Is Boss

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 2, 2006, 06:02:25 pm »
Yeah, I'm not gonna go skint if I lose 20 quid but I'm hoping to build it up. I might try and play at bit more on the 10 seat normal sit and go's. How should I be playing these ? Tight first 2 or 3 rounds then open up and be more agressive when the blinds are bigger and worth stealing ?

Dont go broke in first 3 rounds, Find the donk or donks,  see Theory of M on page 2 for later play (ie dont get too low).

Why not play our game at 9pm? $5 rebuy on pokerroom. Bit of a laugh and generous payout structure

Offline Reddave7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #212 on: July 2, 2006, 06:08:03 pm »
Dont go broke in first 3 rounds, Find the donk or donks,  see Theory of M on page 2 for later play (ie dont get too low).

Why not play our game at 9pm? $5 rebuy on pokerroom. Bit of a laugh and generous payout structure

Right mate, thanks for your help, appreciate it :)

I'd love to play in the RAWK game but only have an account with betfair ( see below if registering ;) ) Not my card to put money in, it's the old mans and I deposit through paypal and pokerroom don't accept that. What can I do ? If the game is ever on betfair, you'll be sure I'll be in. Seems it's a great crack when the numbers turn up.

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #213 on: July 2, 2006, 06:18:48 pm »
would there be any chance of having it on betfair tonight? might be able to make it meself then...
Momo Is Boss

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: July 2, 2006, 06:24:54 pm »
would there be any chance of having it on betfair tonight? might be able to make it meself then...

They dont do private tournaments AFAIK

Offline Reddave7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #215 on: July 2, 2006, 10:35:52 pm »

They dont do private tournaments AFAIK

Thats a real shame. I wouldn't have made it tonight but most other night I'd have been there. Any betfair skin things that allow you to play private games ?

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: July 3, 2006, 10:22:26 am »
Pretty sure betfair do do private tournaments.

Will explore the possibilities.

Offline Throxenby

• Has a date with Fat Frank sometime in 2007
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 4, 2006, 02:23:50 am »
Tip: Never play JJ. It's a horrible hand. :)
na
its a shite hand if yer raise and get a caller but other than that its a cracking hand.
God bless the skywashed for they know not what they do.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #218 on: July 4, 2006, 08:58:41 am »
Any updates on investigating Betfair?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: July 4, 2006, 10:45:21 am »
Any updates on investigating Betfair?

Yes, I emailed them but users can't set them up. I don't understand how there are private tournaments showing on the interface though.

Is there a way of setting up a 'private' poker tournament with  free software? We could put the entry fee with a trusted rawkite to dole out?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline AJ

• a.k.a. Billy Two-Threads. Property of RAWK – soon to be raffled - has as much chance of becoming a mod as David Moyes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: July 8, 2006, 11:03:45 pm »
I really can't believe my luck sometime. Few weeks ago in a game of school poker, one of the lads raised £2 pre-flop. With me not having much money on me I folded Q4. It wasn't a difficult choice to make at the time, didn't have the money and didn't think the hand was that good. Well fuck me, flop comes down, Q44. Absolutely gutted, could not believe what had just happened. By this point, pot is up to about £12. Turn comes down and you guessed it, a 4. I was close to tears at this point. The pot in the end was about £20 and was won by something stupid like a pair of 6s.

However, it gets better. A few days ago I was dealt AA and raised pre-flop. Got re-raised and thought it was just a bluff. Flop came down, something like QJA. After a few re-raises we stopped at around £10. Turn comes over and it's an A. Betting raised to about £20 and a K came down on the river. Stupid me didn't actually check to see what was on the table and only when the betting finally stopped at about £30 did I realise what I had done, my 4 As had been beaten by you guessed it, a royal flush. Absolutely devastated.

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #221 on: July 8, 2006, 11:14:46 pm »
However, it gets better. A few days ago I was dealt AA and raised pre-flop. Got re-raised and thought it was just a bluff. Flop came down, something like QJA. After a few re-raises we stopped at around £10. Turn comes over and it's an A. Betting raised to about £20 and a K came down on the river. Stupid me didn't actually check to see what was on the table and only when the betting finally stopped at about £30 did I realise what I had done, my 4 As had been beaten by you guessed it, a royal flush. Absolutely devastated.

thats about as bad as beats get isnt it???

Momo Is Boss

Offline AJ

• a.k.a. Billy Two-Threads. Property of RAWK – soon to be raffled - has as much chance of becoming a mod as David Moyes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: July 8, 2006, 11:20:34 pm »
thats about as bad as beats get isnt it???
Well atleast I didn't get beat by shite.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: July 9, 2006, 02:00:09 am »
you sure you don't have any crafty dealers at your school?

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: July 9, 2006, 02:08:19 am »
Most gutting thing I've ever experienced yesterday. Me and a few lads are playing a bit of low stakes poker in a free period in college and we come to the last hand before lunch. I get dealth Q,4 off suited and one of the lads raises £2 all in. I consider it for a bit, I was a few quid up and it was the last hand but in the end I folded, thought he must have something big to bet that (considering raises are usually 10/20p). Anyway, flop comes down, Q,4,4. Screw the poker face, I nearly cried. Turn comes over, you guessed it, a 4. At this point I left the room, only being told later that a pair of 6s won the £12 pot. Gutting.

I really can't believe my luck sometime. Few weeks ago in a game of school poker, one of the lads raised £2 pre-flop. With me not having much money on me I folded Q4. It wasn't a difficult choice to make at the time, didn't have the money and didn't think the hand was that good. Well fuck me, flop comes down, Q44. Absolutely gutted, could not believe what had just happened. By this point, pot is up to about £12. Turn comes down and you guessed it, a 4. I was close to tears at this point. The pot in the end was about £20 and was won by something stupid like a pair of 6s.

Bad luck and by the looks of it bad memory of this thread.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: July 9, 2006, 02:08:48 am »
I contemplated it but I did see him shuffling beforehand. If he did fix it in some way he'll gob off about it some time and he'll get fucked ;).

As for now, I'm playing on PokerRoom. Played in a few freeroles tonight but not taken them particularly seriously. However, I've been in this one for about an hour now. 10 player tournament, $1000 play chips divided between the top 3. I'm down to the last 2 now, just lost a huge hand and most of my chips but atleast I'll win something.

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: July 9, 2006, 02:10:01 am »
Bad luck and by the looks of it bad memory of this thread.
I had a feeling I'd posted it before :P.

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: July 9, 2006, 02:18:23 am »
Just finished the tournament, came second and won $300 play money. I got dealt AJ and quickly raised the bet of my opponent to $600 from $450.  He calls and the flop comes down as 3,4 and K of clubs, same suit as my ace. At this point I have no option but to go all in $450. He calls and the turn is a 10 of hearts making no difference to either of us. River comes down as an 8 to pair with one in his hand, beating me. Bit gutted but that's poker.

Offline Martyn.

• Nearly 20 and still a virgin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: July 9, 2006, 12:21:40 pm »
I played this the other night, lost £4...
Number 9

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: July 9, 2006, 04:41:40 pm »
I had a feeling I'd posted it before :P.

With a memory like that, we won't have to bother building up an image for you at the RAWKWSOP.

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: July 9, 2006, 05:05:48 pm »
With a memory like that, we won't have to bother building up an image for you at the RAWKWSOP.
With ability like mine, you won't have to bother turning up ;).

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: July 9, 2006, 06:57:24 pm »
With ability like mine, you won't have to bother turning up ;).

I take it you've played M!chael at the RAWK WSOP ?

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: July 9, 2006, 07:10:24 pm »
I take it you've played M!chael at the RAWK WSOP ?
Nope, not played many off here really. Beat the likes of Hightown, Huyton, Lo, Brad and JP though ;).

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: July 11, 2006, 05:17:28 pm »
A few more comments about poker spy.
I haven't figured out the colour coding used fully on the thing, but it really does give you tons of information. I'm going back to ring games for a bit and it gathers so much info on your opponents it's scary. It helps calculate outs and percent win chances for you so you can figure out pot odds much more easily. I'm not too sure how usefull it is at spotting 'bad' play in others as it can't tell if they are bluffing or trying to present an image. At the very low limit games I guess players aren't generally good enough to be able to pick off like that and just playing good hands well is the best yuo can do.

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill!!!!!!!
« Reply #234 on: July 11, 2006, 10:11:39 pm »
A few more comments about poker spy.
I haven't figured out the colour coding used fully on the thing, but it really does give you tons of information. I'm going back to ring games for a bit and it gathers so much info on your opponents it's scary. It helps calculate outs and percent win chances for you so you can figure out pot odds much more easily. I'm not too sure how usefull it is at spotting 'bad' play in others as it can't tell if they are bluffing or trying to present an image. At the very low limit games I guess players aren't generally good enough to be able to pick off like that and just playing good hands well is the best yuo can do.

Fooking brilliant got it tonight at 4 pm Started with $52 now on $107.  Buzzing my tits off with poker spy.  Only really looking at the calculator for now, but still, well worth the $50 pay into party poker.Above comments are all true, I love it so far.  Only problem is that you spend alot of time watching the data rather than the players
Oh W**ky W**ky, W**ky W**ky W**ky W**ky Warrington.

Betfair referal code 6TXMVXF6J. £25 free

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #235 on: July 11, 2006, 10:16:23 pm »
pokerspy - what would this be then? links, screenshots anyone? never even heard of it!
Momo Is Boss

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #236 on: July 11, 2006, 10:41:01 pm »
http://www.poker-spy.com/

that it? looks interesting.... anyone whose got it wanna send us a copy? ;D
Momo Is Boss

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill!!!!!!!
« Reply #237 on: July 11, 2006, 10:44:40 pm »
http://www.poker-spy.com/

that it? looks interesting.... anyone whose got it wanna send us a copy? ;D

Signed up for partypoker $50 outlay.played beginer $0.10 and £0.25 for 50 hands to qualify for 20% outlay bonus so got $10 for free. then sorted it with poker spy now on $147.  The best free thing I have ever got!! great piece of kit.
Oh W**ky W**ky, W**ky W**ky W**ky W**ky Warrington.

Betfair referal code 6TXMVXF6J. £25 free

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #238 on: July 11, 2006, 10:46:10 pm »
downloaded the trial and its pretty interesting stuff ot say the least, even said i was a 'dangerous tight and aggresive player' :D

only went in for 10 lost all first hand poket 10's to pocket J's ::)
then played with another 10 and left abot 6 or 7 quid up after a lil while, interesting stuff though!
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #239 on: July 11, 2006, 10:47:36 pm »
Signed up for partypoker $50 outlay.played beginer $0.10 and £0.25 for 50 hands to qualify for 20% outlay bonus so got $10 for free. then sorted it with poker spy now on $147.  The best free thing I have ever got!! great piece of kit.

ive already overspent my gambling budget for this week - but i'll defo be lookin into this
Momo Is Boss