Author Topic: New York... have you been?  (Read 234295 times)

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
Re: New York... have you been?
« Reply #1720 on: April 11, 2018, 03:56:32 pm »
I ordered wings in one place. 10 massive wings came. Had to put it in a box to take away.

A few years ago we went to Washington DC after being in New York. On the first night we just walked into a restaurant that looked nice and was fairly busy. The waitress said it was 'family style dining' and when we asked what that meant she just said where you order dishes to share. We ordered 3 dishes between two of us and I reckon we could have easily fed 10-15 people with the amount of food that was served. The cost of the meal was still about half the price of a normal meal for 2 in New York.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #1721 on: April 11, 2018, 05:13:12 pm »
accidentally ticked that she'd committed a fraud

Hers wasnt approved. That simple mistake is why

I did this going to Vegas 2 years ago! I ticked the box that confirmed I was basically a committed violent pyro-loving maniac. Got denied and I had to move my holiday back a couple of months so I could get a VISA. Good times... :0

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #1722 on: April 11, 2018, 05:15:31 pm »

I remember Ciara from on here filled all hers in wrong but they sorted it for her.

I ticked a yes instead of no...! And it got declined. Had to go through the hassle of getting a VISA. They said that was the only question they couldn't change the answer to - any other and I would have been fine. :D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1723 on: April 12, 2018, 12:47:47 pm »
ha ha

there was a cheesecake place called juniors i was in. i went twice, both times i was told to save room for cheesecake at the end

never enough room for it
Throw in the larger (or it feels that way) alcohol glasses and its amazing ;D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1724 on: April 12, 2018, 12:49:05 pm »
A few years ago we went to Washington DC after being in New York. On the first night we just walked into a restaurant that looked nice and was fairly busy. The waitress said it was 'family style dining' and when we asked what that meant she just said where you order dishes to share. We ordered 3 dishes between two of us and I reckon we could have easily fed 10-15 people with the amount of food that was served. The cost of the meal was still about half the price of a normal meal for 2 in New York.
Yeah its deffo different. When ive been Florida i would only have one actual meal a day as it was so filling.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1725 on: April 12, 2018, 01:16:33 pm »
the portions are bloody huge too

yup that's how it is in the states, which isn't always a good thing.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1726 on: April 12, 2018, 01:16:54 pm »
i'm going in September and my itinerary is basically just going to be food places, main thing i'm looking forward to

good luck mate, hope you have a belter of a time, enjoy it!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1727 on: April 12, 2018, 04:34:14 pm »
Throw in the larger (or it feels that way) alcohol glasses and its amazing ;D
some of them have to be larger

yup that's how it is in the states, which isn't always a good thing.

definitely not

I did this going to Vegas 2 years ago! I ticked the box that confirmed I was basically a committed violent pyro-loving maniac. Got denied and I had to move my holiday back a couple of months so I could get a VISA. Good times... :0
thought i saw you on the telly last tuesday alright
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1728 on: April 13, 2018, 08:50:05 pm »
Carmine’s 44th Street, fucking brilliant. Of all the places as a family we ate at, kids said they would have eaten there every day

Can’t recommend it enough. Book early though.....

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1729 on: May 5, 2018, 10:31:25 am »
Getting a ticket for broadway show - is it cheaper getting it while in NYC on the day?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1730 on: May 5, 2018, 01:43:33 pm »
Not done it myself but there's a big booth at Times Sq that sells them cheaper for same day shows, similar to what they do in London.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1731 on: May 5, 2018, 02:08:16 pm »
Cheers. Yea think i've seen the place you are on about. Group i'm with want to see Lion King next month.

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1732 on: May 7, 2018, 06:17:39 pm »
Cheers. Yea think i've seen the place you are on about. Group i'm with want to see Lion King next month.

There's an app called TodayTix that's good for getting cheaper tickets. Have a look on there to get an idea of the price.

Lion King will be pretty expensive regardless but everyone raves about it so could be worth paying a bit more for.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1733 on: June 4, 2018, 02:30:51 pm »
Just returned. Beautiful city.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1734 on: June 5, 2018, 03:24:36 pm »

May well be too late for this, but a good tip for the TKTS booth is to avoid the one in Times Square (as the queues are always horrendous), and take the subway to Brooklyn. Get off at Jay Street, and there's a TKTS booth opposite the subway there. Barely any queues (as only the locals know about it) and they sell the same tickets as at Times Square.

One year, I queued up for 2 hours at the Times Square booth. Next year I went to Brooklyn and was sorted in 15 minutes.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #1735 on: June 5, 2018, 03:47:27 pm »
One year, I queued up for 2 hours at the Times Square booth. Next year I went to Brooklyn and was sorted in 15 minutes.
Brooklyn is boss.  It's where the real people live.

The theatre, museums, comedy clubs, big screen emporiums and shopping are better in Manhattan, but food, parks, non-tourist activities and just relaxing are done best in Brooklyn.  Cos' there's fewer fucking tourists and no crowds.  Coney Island's rides and food are a must (Nathans fries and clam strips), the Aquarium is cool, Brooklyn Museum, Botanical Gardens. 
Scousers take note: Do the Water Taxi hop from Wall St to 69th St Brooklyn pier for an unforgettable understanding of the harbor.  Long Beach, a little Long Island seaside town with a huge white sand beach is just a short train ride from Penn.  Prospect Park has cheap concerts during the Summer and Park Slope/Downtown is great for pub crawls or trendy restaurants.

Kill the humourless

Offline Craig Mac

• Leeches files boo hiss!
  • Kopite
  • We shall not, we shall not be moved!
« Reply #1736 on: June 5, 2018, 03:50:41 pm »
Going at the end of the month can’t wait! Been before so already done all the obvious touristsy things, I wondered if anybody had any recommendations past the obvious tourist attractions, things to see, places to go and things to eat. Already booked to see Book of Morman and watch the Yankees

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #1737 on: June 5, 2018, 04:56:05 pm »
Going at the end of the month can’t wait! Been before so already done all the obvious touristsy things, I wondered if anybody had any recommendations past the obvious tourist attractions, things to see, places to go and things to eat. Already booked to see Book of Morman and watch the Yankees
See Above
Museum of the Moving Image in Queens. 
Paley Museum of Television (if it rains)
Stomp
BB King's Closed  :-X
Terra Blues
Find a BBQ joint and eat way too much meat.
July Thursdays Sunset Concerts at Wagner Park
Get a Groupon for Arlenes Grocery
Take an NBC Studio tour and enjoy the murals of 30 Rock
Buy a hot sausage with mustard and onion from a street vendor
Learn all about NYC at the Museum of the City of NY
Go the Bronx Zoo
Liberty Science Planetarium
Ferry to Hoboken and walk the promenade
Water taxi to Brooklyn Bridge park and walk the promenade
Sleep when you get home
Kill the humourless

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1738 on: June 5, 2018, 06:17:28 pm »
Went the start of may, walked over 90km in total  ;D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1739 on: June 5, 2018, 06:28:59 pm »
Watched Aladdin on Broadway. Very enjoyable.

Also went to a speak easy. Which was jaw droppingly good.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1740 on: July 4, 2018, 09:46:07 pm »
I have about 6 hours in New York tomorrow morning to pick things to do. I've already visited the Statue of Liberty so doing that is out of question. I'm coming in via Penn Station and prepared to walk around quite a bit with my GoPro.

What places will people recommend? I'm thinking of going to Central Park, then Flatiron, then start walking towards the Empire State, then One World Trade Center, Brooklyn Bridge. Anything else I should add? Any restaurant recommendations? :wave
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #1741 on: July 5, 2018, 02:36:26 am »
I went to New York and the only touristy thing I did was go to Broadway and had the best craic. I didn't think I was going to like the place as much as I did but it is a cracking spot. I was very surprised by how friendly people were too.
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline CarraG238

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1742 on: July 5, 2018, 03:07:09 am »
I have about 6 hours in New York tomorrow morning to pick things to do. I've already visited the Statue of Liberty so doing that is out of question. I'm coming in via Penn Station and prepared to walk around quite a bit with my GoPro.

What places will people recommend? I'm thinking of going to Central Park, then Flatiron, then start walking towards the Empire State, then One World Trade Center, Brooklyn Bridge. Anything else I should add? Any restaurant recommendations? :wave

6 hours isn't much, but you probably can fit in Central Park in? As for food, try and hit Hells Kitchen which shouldn't be too far away from the park via Subway.

Personal choice for pizza is NY Pizza Suprema across the street from Penn  :lickin
“It was the first game of the qualifying for us and well we can take a lot from it ,like I was talking to one of the guys from TNS about my internet connection at home and he said the reason I sometimes can't get on is because I am running the wrong browser with Windows 95 and he suggested I update to Windows XP” - 23 Carra Gold

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1743 on: July 5, 2018, 03:31:55 am »
6 hours isn't much, but you probably can fit in Central Park in? As for food, try and hit Hells Kitchen which shouldn't be too far away from the park via Subway.

Personal choice for pizza is NY Pizza Suprema across the street from Penn  :lickin

I keep traveling back to the city, usually to hang out with people. Got a few hours to myself so can walk around and explore.

Decided on Central Park, Flatiron then walking to downtown, across Brooklyn bridge and back to Penn Station. Let's see how it goes. :D
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #1744 on: July 8, 2018, 11:14:59 pm »
Going to be in Harlem for a week in august, anyone suggest any "not to be missed" shops, places or restaurants they have discovered in this end  of  town? Any other local knowledge appreciated too.

Offline Jon G

• I'm Jim Rockford, at the tone leave your name and number and I'll get back to ya. PM Jon Hall if you can read this...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 78 stone wobble
    • not mine
« Reply #1745 on: September 13, 2018, 07:53:28 pm »
Anyone know if the 11st bar opens for early for kick offs? Out there for the Fulham game, and it's a 12pm ko, so 7am out there.
NOTHING GREAT HAS EVER BEEN ACHIEVED WITHOUT PASSION - CARRAGHER 23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1746 on: September 13, 2018, 09:57:03 pm »
Anyone know if the 11st bar opens for early for kick offs? Out there for the Fulham game, and it's a 12pm ko, so 7am out there.

Should be plenty that are, Carragher's should be, I was at a bar down the block from the Wellington hotel at 7.30 when we got trashed by Arsenal under Rodgers.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1747 on: September 14, 2018, 09:51:43 am »

It does, but they're a bit cliquey now, and might not let you in if you arrive late as they get full up. This might not be an issue for Fulham, but deffo would be for "bigger" games. I recommend Carragher's or The Boot Room at the Irish American as bigger alternatives with good brekkies.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Jon G

• I'm Jim Rockford, at the tone leave your name and number and I'll get back to ya. PM Jon Hall if you can read this...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 78 stone wobble
    • not mine
« Reply #1748 on: September 14, 2018, 04:12:20 pm »
Sound. My hotel is closer to Carraghers, so will probably pop there.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1749 on: September 16, 2018, 01:35:07 pm »
You probably will want to go out to watch it but for backups sake, check your hotel telly, might have the channels, ours did and we only looked after we’d walked through snow at 7am to watch us draw to Plymouth 😂

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1750 on: September 16, 2018, 10:02:06 pm »
Going to New York for the first time next year as my bird is a bridesmaid at her mates wedding in Central Park.

Only going for the week but looking forward to it!

Offline Jon G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 78 stone wobble
    • not mine
« Reply #1751 on: September 17, 2018, 08:04:29 pm »
You probably will want to go out to watch it but for backups sake, check your hotel telly, might have the channels, ours did and we only looked after we’d walked through snow at 7am to watch us draw to Plymouth 😂

Good thinking.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #1752 on: September 19, 2018, 03:54:11 pm »
Hi lads,

I'm currently looking into booking a holiday for myself and the missus for 5 nights in New York in June. Flights are going to cost roughly 1000 quid for the two of us. I'm looking for some advice in regards to booking a reasonably priced hotel or AirB&B.

Most hotels seem to be in or around the 1000 mark for the dates we are considering. Although this is probably the norm it would be quite expensive for us. Would staying outside of Manhattan be an option? If so, what are the areas to avoid or look out for? We would be looking for somewhere with possibly a view of Manhattan, some restaurants in the area and easily accessible to the city (Not asking for a lot!). Is trekking in and out of the city each day more hassle than its worth?

AirB&B's seem to be considerably cheaper and they are a real option for us. Has anyone any eperience with using these in New York? Again, outside of Manhattan the prices are cheaper and with better apartments. Could anyone recommend any areas or share some info I should be aware of? We are trying to be economic leaving us more money to do things that are worth doing.

Also, does anyone know of any reliable sites that do hotel deals for New York?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1753 on: September 19, 2018, 08:17:46 pm »
Hi lads,

I'm currently looking into booking a holiday for myself and the missus for 5 nights in New York in June. Flights are going to cost roughly 1000 quid for the two of us. I'm looking for some advice in regards to booking a reasonably priced hotel or AirB&B.

Most hotels seem to be in or around the 1000 mark for the dates we are considering. Although this is probably the norm it would be quite expensive for us. Would staying outside of Manhattan be an option? If so, what are the areas to avoid or look out for? We would be looking for somewhere with possibly a view of Manhattan, some restaurants in the area and easily accessible to the city (Not asking for a lot!). Is trekking in and out of the city each day more hassle than its worth?

AirB&B's seem to be considerably cheaper and they are a real option for us. Has anyone any eperience with using these in New York? Again, outside of Manhattan the prices are cheaper and with better apartments. Could anyone recommend any areas or share some info I should be aware of? We are trying to be economic leaving us more money to do things that are worth doing.

Try an AirBnB in Hoboken. A very, very quick look showed an AirBnB for £650 in Hoboken. Great bars around, a few good places to eat (e.g. Grimaldi's pizza), and while you (probably) won't get a view of Manhattan from your room, the views from the riverside in Hoboken are spectacular, and you'll be able to walk along the riverside walkway and chill at the little park areas they've got along there. The PATH train into Manhattan is much cleaner and easier than the subway, and very convenient too (other than Sundays when it runs less regularly, so just make sure you plan your Sunday trips a bit).
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline FaitAccompli

• Kopite
« Reply #1754 on: September 19, 2018, 11:03:06 pm »
Hi lads,

I was in New York last week with my gf, and stayed in an AirBNB - four nights in Brooklyn (Bushwick area), which cost £178 including AirBNB's service fees. The host was quite possibly dealing dope, but he was very chilled out and the flat seemed pretty safe. The area also felt fine, we were 10 minutes away from a subway station that was on the line to Jamaica station, so it was easy to get to/from JFK airport. Brooklyn's a pretty interesting area as it's multicultural but also quite hipster in some parts. It's also easy to walk from there up to any of the bridges, if you're into walking - we walked up to Queensboro bridge, into Central Park, around most of the park and then made our way down to the bottom of Manhattan. Subway-wise, it was pretty easy to get into and out of Manhattan. You won't likely get a view of Manhattan though, unless you can find somewhere in Brooklyn Heights or Williamsburg.

As for air fares, it depends where you're flying from I guess. If I had been writing this message in June I would have recommended looking at Norwegian, as I flew with them to/from Chicago in May and had a good experience, but the experience I had with them in trying to get to Boston in August was terrible, so they can be mixed, and their customer support if something does go wrong is terrible.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1755 on: September 20, 2018, 06:07:14 am »
Hi lads,

If you are flying into Newark, then I would suggest looking at Jersey City. Being in NJ, it's cheaper than NY options like Hoboken and Brooklyn. It's connected to NYC via PATH and is literally across the river from New York. Some AirBnbs also give the option of views of NYC from their rooms, which is pretty neat. An added advantage is you can take the ferry to Statue of Liberty from Liberty park, which is always less crowded. You also get the bonus view of lower Manhattan from the beautiful Liberty park and can spend an evening admiring the New York sunsets from there.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1756 on: September 20, 2018, 08:22:09 am »
Hi lads,

I have stayed in an AirB&B in Harlem and it was really nice, right next to the park. More expensive than what you're wanting though so I won't bother trying to find it!

The last time we went we booked through BA holidays and having looked up the prices for the hotel we stayed at, they got us a good deal with an upgrade as well. It's worth doing a search.

Seems BA are currently doing a sale! Just did a quick search and can get returns for two in June for ~£700. As a package, they can do the flights and hotel for £1500 and upwards.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #1757 on: September 20, 2018, 11:30:16 am »
Thanks very much for all the replies. I am going to look into them all when I have time and will report back. Cheers again, very helpful.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1758 on: September 20, 2018, 11:45:56 am »
Thanks very much for all the replies. I am going to look into them all when I have time and will report back. Cheers again, very helpful.
you're looking at 200 quid a night for a decent hotel min

I stayed in the sofitel just off times sq, there must have been a mistake on their site as i got it 600 for 4 nights. everytime i looked it up after that it was double

also stayed in the affinia shelburne, Murray hill, it was just off 5th avenue, sofitel was nicer but the affinia good too

if you need hotel sites for booking i can usually use, booking, or hotelscombined or trivago

https://www.sofitel-new-york.com/
https://www.affinia.com/shelburne
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:48:59 am by Hellrazor »
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1759 on: September 20, 2018, 02:27:23 pm »
Hi lads,

stayed this year at the Hyatt House in Exchange Place New Jersey. Absolutely amazing, right on the Hudson with a breath taking view across the Manhattan skyline. Also is right beside a PATH station so easy to nip in every morning to the Oculus (WTC subway hub).
Great rooftop bar and the restaurant is top floor too, so you have that view at breakfast every morning. It might be a bit pricey though.
If you are budgeting - get a Sightseeing Pass - we got them for about $200 a person, but they have everything you will want to do on them, and more that you just won't have time to cover. An absolute must as well is to buy the 7 day unlimited subway pass - even if you are only there 5 days, you'll easily save money.

Oh, and why spend £1000 on flights? Get on to Norwegian, they are great!!
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company