Author Topic: Before, During and After Wembley - Recommendations  (Read 33509 times)

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Before, During and After Wembley - Recommendations
« on: February 15, 2016, 02:59:23 am »
Two weeks to go! :wave

Some of you on here are seasoned veterans but I thought perhaps we could share suggestions based on the final for people like myself who have only done Wembley a handful of times, those who are going for the first time and those who haven't got a ticket, but might want to take part in some of the boozing and singing before/during and after the match :wave

Add to this with your own suggestions and experiences.

I'll start with the basics from what I know anyway.

Pre Match Pubs Away From Wembley

For most semi finals and finals at Wembley, a pub that is always popular with match going fans and has been for many years is The Globe at Baker Street, mainly because it's essentially a good hub to meet people coming in from all over London and have a few drinks before boarding the underground to Wembley Park. Usually you get a mixture of both fans in there. Villa for instance was good natured, with fans singing competing songs in turn etc and only turned a little nasty once most of the (larger) Liverpool contingent had left for the game, and then some of the Villa fans started some of the less endearing chants we know they come out with when they don't fear reprisal as much. Police generally are ok with you bevvying on the street with cans around the outside of the pub, but the local Tesco's obviously sell out quick and just stick warm beer in the fridges to restock, so if you intend on bringing your own and would prefer it cool/cold, buy it before, or drink it warm ;D From memory - they sometimes close The Globe for a period when the game ends - presumably so fans can't mingle there again- when emotions might be running high.

Here is a a picture of Liverpool fans at the Globe. This looks like it might be before Cardiff game as the other fans all appear to be in blue. It's always manic and loads of tourist people on the buses drive past and have no fucking clue what is going on, which is often quite hilarious.

Also at Baker Street I know a lot of people go into the Wetherspoons called The Metropolitan on the other side of the road, but I haven't been in there so couldn't tell you what it's like.

Pubs Near The Ground

In terms of pubs nearer to the ground, the police usually assign pubs to each team for segregation purposes and for some of them you may have to show them a valid match ticket for the appropriate end to gain entry. Liverpool have been situated on the East almost every time recently, but this time we'll be on the West side of the ground. Here is a list of the assigned pubs from 2015. It is likely that we'll be assigned the pubs in Blue which were the West side pubs assigned for Aston Villa last year. http://content.spiritofshankly.com/system/documents/821/original/WembleyPubsEastWest2015.pdf

The oft mentioned pub on the West side of the ground that I have seen is The Green Man - but again my experience with that pub is limited so hopefully others can fill everyone in on what that's like or if they prefer any of the other pubs on the West Side. The Green Man is roughly a 12 minute walk from Wembley Central or a 13 minute walk from Wembley Park

The other pubs we may get if the segregation is the same: Blue Room, Liquor Station, JJ Moons, Thirsty Eddie's, Masti, Flannery's, Station 31, The Corner House, Fusilier, The Copper Jug and Powerleague (addressed for all these pubs are in the Spirit of Shankly link). Anyone with any experience of these?

Pubs For Watching The Match

In terms of watching the match, my only experience of this was in 2012 when my brother and I went to the Globe and then went onto The Golden Egg to watch both games. The Golden Egg was brilliant, as it was run by a Liverpool supporter I believe and before the match there were loads of banners up. Obviously the banners came down as people disappeared to watch the match but loads stayed to watch it and it felt like the very next best thing to being in the ground as goals and penalty wins were celebrated with random hugs like you'd expect at the ground with the one bonus being that celebration beers (or commiseration ones in the case of the Chelsea game) weren't hard to get. Unfortunately in looking towards a hopeful final in 2015 (I was at the Villa game but would probably miss out on the final) I discovered that this pub is now closed.

Therefore, London reds.... Are there any other big pubs that you would recommend people could gather in before or after, or that could be a great meeting point to watch the final with like minded reds? Personally I couldn't watch a cup final in the comfort of my own house, or in a pub in my city and would have to make the trip somewhere. I drove all the way up to Anfield for the Chelsea 2007 match, just to watch it in the Sandon - which was fab. Bundling over everyone with beer flying everywhere when Kuyt scored wouldn't have been the same on my own or with a handful of mates elsewhere and if you're unsure about making the trip down without a ticket, trust me, if you find somewhere with a lot of reds, it's absolutely boss - songs, the lot.

Bit lengthy, but hopefully that's the ball rolling. Hopefully whatever happens everyone will have a great day and hopefully it'll be made even better with some trophy lifting :wave
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 03:24:04 am by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline kalle-anka

• Dönåld Dükk!!!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS member 6912
Re: Before, During and After Wembley - Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 05:23:08 am »
Loads of useful info!
Just a reminder to make sure you're on the right train at the tube! Before Chelsea we had a few too many drinks and went the wrong way, ended upper running all of Wembley way and just made it by YNWA  :scarf

Offline stevesteve

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 06:53:09 am »
Good post mate.
Metropolitan for breakfast then the globe then the Green man then stumbling into Wembley :-)

Offline Sooty89!!!

• Simpleton with a Repressed Replica Top Fetish.
  • Kopite
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 08:14:52 am »
We usually have a few round Kings Cross, get the tube to Kilburn and have a few hours round there on the High Street, its busy but not too busy, then get the tube to Wembley Park and have a few cans on Wembley way! Were staying over in Watford this time though so probably just head straight for Wembley and drink round there.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 12:22:17 pm »
The Globe pic was indeed Cardiff 2012, my mug is just visible bottom left. Lovely old day that was, even sticking in there for the game without a ticket it was full of Reds.

Do the pubs around Wembley show the game and let us without tickets stick around?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 01:17:12 pm »
The Globe pic was indeed Cardiff 2012, my mug is just visible bottom left. Lovely old day that was, even sticking in there for the game without a ticket it was full of Reds.

Do the pubs around Wembley show the game and let us without tickets stick around?
Sure we went back to The Globe to watch it in 2012 as the pubs round Wembley were closing whilst the game was on.

Offline willss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 01:29:56 pm »
If the Powerleague bar is the one almost underneath Wembley way then that is all-ticket on the match day.

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 01:39:57 pm »
We usually have a few round Kings Cross, get the tube to Kilburn and have a few hours round there on the High Street, its busy but not too busy, then get the tube to Wembley Park and have a few cans on Wembley way! Were staying over in Watford this time though so probably just head straight for Wembley and drink round there.

The Flag outside Watford Junction station is a good boozer
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 02:31:30 pm »

It's absolutely massive as well.

Offline Dan6times

• "Oh, he's not seeing me, I'll get him later... DAN!"
  • Kopite
  • Imagine not supporting Liverpool
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 12:16:14 pm »
Mate of mine wont have a match ticket,will he be ok to get into The Green Man?
“For those of you in the cheap seats I'd like ya to clap your hands to this one; the rest of you can just rattle your jewelry!”

Offline bullyred

• Main Stander
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 12:28:39 pm »
Yes mate should be fine beer garden is massive easy to get in

Offline Dan6times

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 01:22:36 pm »
Yes mate should be fine beer garden is massive easy to get in

Cheers
“For those of you in the cheap seats I'd like ya to clap your hands to this one; the rest of you can just rattle your jewelry!”

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 02:10:36 pm »

Heard a few dodgy characters congregate around there though.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 05:41:45 pm »
Heard a few dodgy characters congregate around there though.
Yes you!  ;D

Offline ant

• Legacy Fan
  • Spread the faith - YNWA !!!
    • OLSC - France
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 12:04:15 am »
the torch charged a fiver to watch the fa cup against chelsea and shut just before the game to clean up then opened minutes before the game again. I jumped in through a window and watched the final, Carroll defo scored, I saw it out of one eye after about 10 pints !

was ith there before cardiff and everton but went those games but heared it was open to watch them on tv !
www.liverpoolfrance.com - The home of Liverpool fans in France.

Get down to 1 of our 2 pubs in Paris, Lush Bar or Kop Bar, for all the Red's games on the tele :
http://www.liverpoolfrance.com/ou-voir-les-reds/

TRADE COUNT WHEN WE HAD A TICKET EXCHANGE : 24

Offline kopite 1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • those were the days my friends
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 01:06:51 pm »
anybody going back into London after the game for a drink, I'm staying at premier inn Euston, Will be in the green man about 12 o clock
support the fight for justice dont buy the sun

jft96

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 01:19:34 pm »
Metropolitan for breakfast then the globe then the Green man then stumbling into Wembley :-)

Has become my standard pre-game checklist  ;D

Will be getting the coach straight to the Green Man this time around though, I think. Was good in there before Cardiff so looking forward to it.

Up the Reds.

The Green Man certainly didn't in 2012. A few of my mates were ticketless and they left me in there to head back to town to watch it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:33:30 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Dan6times

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 04:02:05 pm »
Has become my standard pre-game checklist  ;D

Will be getting the coach straight to the Green Man this time around though, I think. Was good in there before Cardiff so looking forward to it.

Up the Reds.

The Green Man certainly didn't in 2012. A few of my mates were ticketless and they left me in there to head back to town to watch it.

So were they not left in without a ticket or what?

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 04:16:00 pm »
So were they not left in without a ticket or what?

Says that they left him in there to go back to town, so I would guess he meant that they were let in, but  as the game wasn't on, they had to depart before kick off to find somewhere else.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 12:39:28 pm »
Cheers for all the info Hij :)

The Green Man is on twitter and facebook - https://twitter.com/thegreenmanpub & https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Green-Man/102076393190694 if anyone wants to ask if they're showing the game on tv etc
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Post-Rafalite

• Kemlynite
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 06:34:14 pm »
Cheers for all the info Hij :)

The Green Man is on twitter and facebook - https://twitter.com/thegreenmanpub & https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Green-Man/102076393190694 if anyone wants to ask if they're showing the game on tv etc

Emailed them yesterday at 6pm. No response yet. Will post if I get a reply.

Me and my boy will be going there straight after kick off to watch the game if we don't manage to sort two tickets beforehand. Don't want to line the tout's pockets so more than likely it will be The Green Man if they are showing.
Coming up from Bournemouth, gonna be a top day out either way.  ;D

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 11:33:12 pm »

Me and my boy will be going there straight after kick off to watch the game if we don't manage to sort two tickets beforehand. Don't want to line the tout's pockets so more than likely it will be The Green Man if they are showing.

If you don't hear back from them soon their phone number is on the facebook page. Found they have a website too - http://www.thegreenmanhotelatwembley.co.uk/ 

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 04:06:37 am »

What are you doing beforehand?

If you aren't sure, make sure you ascertain between getting in the Green Man without tickets and the match being on afterwards. Even if there are issues watching the match, I first took my brother to the Millennium Stadium and he enjoyed the outside bit - the footballs flying everywhere and all the songs more than he did the match.

Up to you, but if you don't get tickets sorted before the game- my opinion would be to take your lad somewhere where all the reds will be. Whether it's the Globe or the Green Man (if you can get in without tickets). There is nothing more magnificent than seeing loads of reds singing our songs even if you have to watch the game somewhere else- I've done it.

Up to you Post-Rafa.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline kopite 1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • those were the days my friends
support the fight for justice dont buy the sun

jft96

Offline stevienash

• Legacy Fan
  • 'White liquid in a bottle has to be milk.'"
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2016, 04:15:06 pm »
Green man it is then, Are we having an a RAWK boozer

yes complete Wanker Hats, foam hands and name badges
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 04:17:21 pm by stevienash »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2016, 08:23:27 pm »

So every one is going in fancy dress as Chopper? Ace, might go fucking mad and get a half n half as well.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2016, 08:24:37 pm »
So every one is going in fancy dress as Chopper? Ace, might go fucking mad and get a half n half as well.
If we are all going as Chops I'll have to get on eBay for a 3 star jumper!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2016, 08:30:06 pm »
If we are all going as Chops I'll have to get on eBay for a 3 star jumper!
The prices are increasing as you're pondering it. Good job I've still got mine.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2016, 09:01:52 pm »
Just spent the week down there with work and had a hotel near Wembley. Saw this thread and thought I'd give a quick plug for the Wembley Tandoori if you're after a pre-match belly filler/beer soaker upper or post-match pint of cobra.  Ended up in there twice and they served us some fantastic indian and Nepalese dishes, bit different to the norm, but really good & cheap as well.

I was chatting with the owner about next Sunday and he said he was looking forward to it, was opening at 11.30 and would be packed solid by 12.

Turn right out of Wembley park and it's just before the petrol station on the right. I might get a free popadum after this.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2016, 10:00:18 pm »

I'll dig out my 14/15 #YOLOTOURE shirt.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2016, 10:32:53 pm »
Used to live Harrow many moons ago and for the finals in 2011 went back there simply because I knew the area and hotels, boozers, etc.  Cheap as chips accommodation (compared to London generally) and free parking, and only couple of stops to Wembley park.  Couldn't believe how empty the tube was heading to Wembley and again because we were heading out of the city after the finals the tubes had plenty of room after the game.  Next day easy to get out of London also whether driving or train.

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2016, 06:45:47 pm »
Posted this in the the other thread, surprised Moore Spice has been allocated to us.

Here is the full list of pubs Liverpool have been allocated:

Moore Spice - Wembley Retail Park, Unit 2, Engineers Way, HA9 0EH

The Green Man - Dagmar Avenue, Wembley, HA9 8DF

Blue Room - 53 Wembley Hill Road, Wembley, HA9 8BE

Liquor Station - 379 High Road, Wembley, HA9 6AA

JJ Moons - 397 High Road, Wembley, HA9 7DT

Thirsty Eddie’s - 412 High Road, Wembley, HA9 6AH

Masai - 576 - 582 High Road, Wembley, HA0 2AA

Flannery’s - 610 High Road, Wembley, HA0 2AF

Station 31 (Speakeasy) - 299 -303 Harrow Road, Wembley, HA9 6BD

The Corner House (Mannions) - 313 Harrow Road, Wembley, HA9 6BA

The Arch - 324 Harrow Road, Wembley, HA9 8LL

Fusilier - 652 Harrow Road, Wembley, HA0 2HA

The Copper Jug - 10 The Broadway, Wembley, HA9 8JU

Power league - Olympic Way, Wembley

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/capital-one-cup-final-2016-10888199
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 06:47:23 pm by Swissgaz »
"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 09:09:34 am »
Says that they left him in there to go back to town, so I would guess he meant that they were let in, but  as the game wasn't on, they had to depart before kick off to find somewhere else.

Yeah, sorry, this is exactly what I meant. They let us all in no bother, but after checking if they were showing the game and being informed that they weren't allowed by the police they got off after one drink.
Twitter | Blog

Offline CoventryYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2016, 09:52:33 am »
Haven't been able to go to any games this year due to being 21 and buying a house (something had to give!), but I have been to 2/3 of our recent Wembley trips and loved every second before the game so I am thinking of coming down without a ticket just to experience it again.

Two questions...

* I swear I needed a ticket for the Globe last time?
* When everyone starts to move down to Wembley, where is the best place to go and watch the game?

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2016, 10:00:47 am »
* I swear I needed a ticket for the Globe last time?

I went to the Globe for Cardiff and Villa and wasn't asked for a ticket. From what others have said a few who didn't have a ticket stayed there to watch the game as well.

* When everyone starts to move down to Wembley, where is the best place to go and watch the game?

As others have said above, might be worth contacting The Green Man to see if they'll be showing it. It'll be bouncing in there beforehand.
Twitter | Blog

Offline stevesteve

• Anny Roader
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2016, 10:20:27 am »
I went to the Globe for Cardiff and Villa and wasn't asked for a ticket. From what others have said a few who didn't have a ticket stayed there to watch the game as well.

As others have said above, might be worth contacting The Green Man to see if they'll be showing it. It'll be bouncing in there beforehand.

Second that. Never got asked for a ticket in the globe.

Offline AJL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This time one year, we'll be the Champions again
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2016, 10:47:05 am »
Anyone driving down the using the M40 and fancying a decent brekky, we've found and booked an All You Can Eat job for £3.99 each at Uxbridge about 4 minutes off the motorway.

Ugly Ducking Carvery - UB9 4LJ -
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side"

#JFT96

Offline nickyd186

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2016, 10:56:58 am »
Going down Sat afternoon staying kings cross area. Any suggestions where to go sat night for a few beers
What we achieve in life, echos in eternity

Offline sambhi92

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Round the Fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2016, 11:38:25 am »
Going down Sat afternoon staying kings cross area. Any suggestions where to go sat night for a few beers

If you fancy a decent Indian and beer I'd go to Dishoom if i was you. Fantastic place, although a little pricey.

If you fancy just beer in a pub, Queens Head pub is always decent.

Round the Fields of Anfield Road