Author Topic: Arsenal: Top of the divers league  (Read 307155 times)

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Reply #7640 on: Today at 10:11:49 am »
Two seasons of not winning anything does  not make a manager great. You are just getting sillier and sillier.

Rodgers never won anything at Liverpool I believe. I suppose thats tough when you decide to play the reserves at real madrid.

No disrespect meant for an ex Liverpool manager and if you rate him highly then im sure you have your reasons.

Don’t really want to discuss rodgers anymore, I dont want to upset the residents, I just dont rate him as highly as you do

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #7641 on: Today at 10:13:01 am »
Who rates Rogers highly?

Online Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #7642 on: Today at 10:17:19 am »
He couldn’t back it up the following season, consistency is what separates the top managers from the flashes in the pan.

I think it just shows how far your standards have fallen sadly, even this season you've never actually thought you could win the title. Even now you've given it up, and so think finished 2nd or 3rd a couple of seasons in a row with no trophies is something to celebrate. Its a shame....because its not, particularly when you've lead the league for as long as Arsenal in both seasons.

Brendan Rodgers and Roy Hodgson are the only managers not to win a trophy during their time here since the 1950s btw :D Its not really a hill anyone is fussed about dying on here, slate him all you want. That a lot of people see comparisons with Arteta is obviously quite triggering, I can understand that.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7643 on: Today at 10:28:26 am »
I think it just shows how far your standards have fallen sadly, even this season you've never actually thought you could win the title. Even now you've given it up, and so think finished 2nd or 3rd a couple of seasons in a row with no trophies is something to celebrate. Its a shame....because its not, particularly when you've lead the league for as long as Arsenal in both seasons.

Brendan Rodgers and Roy Hodgson are the only managers not to win a trophy during their time here since the 1950s btw :D Its not really a hill anyone is fussed about dying on here, slate him all you want. That a lot of people see comparisons with Arteta is obviously quite triggering, I can understand that.

That is a crazy stats about the trophies. In fairness only Rioch and Emery havent won trophies at Arsenal since the mid 80s but cant tell for certain how previous managers got on.
I wouldnt say Rodgers was a failure at Liverpool , it was a tough task managing Liverpool then and only a Klopp could turn it around. Not everyone who isnt Klopp is a failure, as im sure youll find out soon enough.
Arteta similarly took over a circus and has done great to turn it around, still at the start of the journey
« Last Edit: Today at 10:33:20 am by The North Bank »

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #7644 on: Today at 10:42:43 am »
Its a little unfair criticising Arsenal. Theyre above us in the table. 2nd only to the cheats. Theyve done okay. A trophy doesnt always reflect progression. Theyre moving in the right direction (for them). Dont get me wrong, I hope they fall flat on their arse. But theyve made some progress.

Theyre still shit (in case my gooner mates read this (unlikely theyre too thick))
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #7645 on: Today at 10:49:37 am »
Let's hope wolves take advantage of their European woes
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #7646 on: Today at 10:52:06 am »
They have developed really well, even if we dislike how they play and go about a game. Looks like they will be staying around the top of the league for the next few seasons.

I don't understand this whole thing around not having the experience in Europe being a big factor in the defeat to Bayern though. Plenty have teams have gone on runs, beaten the best sides over 2 legs and got to finals etc without needing years of experience in their players.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7647 on: Today at 10:56:20 am »
They have developed really well, even if we dislike how they play and go about a game. Looks like they will be staying around the top of the league for the next few seasons.

I don't understand this whole thing around not having the experience in Europe being a big factor in the defeat to Bayern though. Plenty have teams have gone on runs, beaten the best sides over 2 legs and got to finals etc without needing years of experience in their players.

Dortmund are in the semis without making a dent in the competition for over a decade, and just beat one of the most difficult teams you could face in it. And they're not full of loads of experience, certainly no more than the likes of Jesus, Havertz and Jorginho. Just seems like a bad excuse. Or maybe it just explains why they've never achieved anything in European football, constantly overthinking it like its a different sport.

Offline cissesbeard

• Kopite
« Reply #7648 on: Today at 10:58:14 am »
not sure how rodgers got brought up in here but for my money arteta is a much better manager. seems to have improved arsenal each year, which is all you can really ask for.
think the semi v bayern was a big missed opportunity for them though.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #7649 on: Today at 11:00:03 am »
Finished 7th, then capitalized on a freakish Suarez year, was unable to make it count because he cant organize a defence and Liverpool shipped 50 league goals that year. Suarez left in 2014 and Brendan is now out of ideas and then gets the sack because he didn't have one player to bail him out.

Arsenal's goals are spread across the team, we don't have a titanic goal scorer. We have patterns of play that come from coaching. Its through Arteta system that we are the leagues top scorers this year. Arteta can organize a defence and team out of possession, something Brendan could never do.

And if Brendan is so good, why not take him back for next season? Dont think Celtic will stand in his way, apparently the Celtic fans cant stand him, as he taken them backwards from where Ange left them.

In a heartbeat.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7651 on: Today at 11:19:53 am »

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7652 on: Today at 12:31:23 pm »
Rodgers never won anything at Liverpool I believe. I suppose thats tough when you decide to play the reserves at real madrid.

No disrespect meant for an ex Liverpool manager and if you rate him highly then im sure you have your reasons.

Don’t really want to discuss rodgers anymore, I dont want to upset the residents, I just dont rate him as highly as you do
Where did I say I rate Rodgers highly?

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7653 on: Today at 02:52:04 pm »
Rodgers and Arteta do have some similarities: both seem like decent coaches, both lack charisma and come across as thin-skinned, and neither look like they have what it takes to get an elite team across the finish line on the biggest stages.

Rodgers has had the higher highs, but Arteta has so far avoided the latter season meltdowns that Rodgers had at both Liverpool and Leicester after a couple of seasons (and the latter pretty much getting Leicester relegated is a pretty significant black mark).

Then again, Arteta did get unprecedented power to reshape the Arsenal squad regardless of the financial implications, bombing out big players not long after they were handed lucrative contracts (which ultimately was the right decision, in fairness), whereas Rodgers - thankfully, from my POV - never had that level of control and was constantly jostling with the 'committee'.

Ultimately, I wouldn't want either of them anywhere near Liverpool, and I think it'd be very interesting to see how this Arsenal squad did under a different manager, because for my money it's a pretty handy squad that would win the league under Klopp and is maybe only a goalscorer and goalkeeper away from being pretty formidable regardless.

Online Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7654 on: Today at 02:59:33 pm »
If we're being fair to Rodgers, he spent about the same on transfers (net) in his four seasons here that Arteta spent in the summer. They have spent an absolutely incredible amount of money, Rodgers (probably luckily) didn't have the financial backing Arteta has. And that has to be included in any comparison between the two, or what the expectations were.

They've apparently spent £550 million NET in his four years there  :o  :o  :o Didn't realise it was that much.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7655 on: Today at 03:04:14 pm »
Arteta seems to be making the same mistakes as last season (at the end of the season)?

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7656 on: Today at 03:18:27 pm »
If we're being fair to Rodgers, he spent about the same on transfers (net) in his four seasons here that Arteta spent in the summer. They have spent an absolutely incredible amount of money, Rodgers (probably luckily) didn't have the financial backing Arteta has. And that has to be included in any comparison between the two, or what the expectations were.

They've apparently spent £550 million NET in his four years there  :o  :o  :o Didn't realise it was that much.

Yeah, since Rodgers was advocating for the likes of Benteke, Dempsey and Ashley Williams, I'm not sure how much good another £100m+ would've done him!

But yes, Arteta's spending is something that doesn't come up much when he gets praise from the pundits/media - similar to his mentor in that respect. Having said that, it does reflect the different state of play for title-challenging teams now - if you're going to compete with a team of financial dopers, and you don't have the high transfer hit rate/best-in-class manager that we've had for the last few years, then you need to splash big money to bridge the gap.

My guess would be that if Arteta and Rodgers swapped roles for next season, neither would perform much better than the other currently is - Arteta would win the SPL, and Rodgers would challenge for the league but ultimately fall short.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7657 on: Today at 04:23:22 pm »

Not sure it’s fair to compare transfer prices of 10 years ago to transfer prices now when discussing how much either have spent?

Online Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7658 on: Today at 04:26:50 pm »
I respect Arsenal because they are a proper football club unlike 115 but that doesn't mean they aren't a bunch of cheating shithouses which they are.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7659 on: Today at 04:27:09 pm »
Yeah, since Rodgers was advocating for the likes of Benteke, Dempsey and Ashley Williams, I'm not sure how much good another £100m+ would've done him!

But yes, Arteta's spending is something that doesn't come up much when he gets praise from the pundits/media - similar to his mentor in that respect. Having said that, it does reflect the different state of play for title-challenging teams now - if you're going to compete with a team of financial dopers, and you don't have the high transfer hit rate/best-in-class manager that we've had for the last few years, then you need to splash big money to bridge the gap.

My guess would be that if Arteta and Rodgers swapped roles for next season, neither would perform much better than the other currently is - Arteta would win the SPL, and Rodgers would challenge for the league but ultimately fall short.

I do think the play acting, constant diving, whinging at refs, faking head injuries and the bizarre mid-half team talks would stop under Rodgers. You wonder how much of a boost that would be, we've just seen the last week they've gone out of the CL because of Saka diving instead of just trying to score a goal.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7660 on: Today at 04:28:00 pm »
Rodgers is a good manager, not a truly great one. Arteta is a good manager, at the moment not a truly great one. What are we even fucking debating here?

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #7661 on: Today at 04:35:41 pm »
Why? What has Arteta actually done?
He’s thrown a kettle over a pub. What have you ever done?

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7662 on: Today at 04:35:41 pm »

How much did the Liverpool squad cost to assemble, and how much did the Arsenal squad cost to assemble? Because I bet there isn’t much difference in how much both squads actually cost.

Where Liverpool have done better than Arsenal is selling. They had assets that they could or were forced to sell. Arsenal didn’t really have that to the same level. Most of their main assets were all ageing on big contracts that they had to release.