Author Topic: Jari Litmanen  (Read 88227 times)

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
Re: Jari Litmanen
« Reply #240 on: October 19, 2009, 05:30:29 pm »
another masterclass. shame about the clueless linesmen.

is he fit for the finnish cup semis this sunday?
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #241 on: October 19, 2009, 05:49:49 pm »
Litmanen against Germany. Class is permanent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saTGBjIwC-s
Thanks for posting. Few players I rather watch than Litmanen at his best, his awareness and vision are out of this world.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #242 on: October 19, 2009, 05:53:37 pm »
Any chance of him wanting to come back in January?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #243 on: October 19, 2009, 05:58:43 pm »
How the fuck does he see some of those runs? Watching it from the broadcast, I still can't see the movement of his teammates that he can. For instance, that left footed, curled pass over the top, I didn't know what the fuck he was doing until I noticed that a striker was making a run to the ball

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #244 on: October 19, 2009, 06:33:47 pm »
Any chance of him wanting to come back in January?

Wouldn't it be nice?

Reina
Johnson Carra Agger Insua
Kuyt Lucas Gerrard Riera
Litmanen
Torres

And I never post line ups...

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2009, 06:45:20 pm »
Wouldn't it be nice?

Reina
Johnson Carra Agger Insua
Kuyt Lucas Gerrard Riera
Litmanen
Torres

And I never post line ups...

Nor do I, though I can't help thinking your team would improve with some pace on the right wing and with our player of the last six months on the left.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: October 19, 2009, 08:07:54 pm »
is he fit for the finnish cup semis this sunday?

Yes he's fit as far as I know.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #247 on: October 19, 2009, 08:12:28 pm »
Nor do I, though I can't help thinking your team would improve with some pace on the right wing and with our player of the last six months on the left.

On the right, fine, and on the left, much as I admire Yossi, he does his best work on the ball, and I expect Jari will have that most of the time.

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: October 20, 2009, 12:49:08 am »
How the fuck does he see some of those runs? Watching it from the broadcast, I still can't see the movement of his teammates that he can. For instance, that left footed, curled pass over the top, I didn't know what the fuck he was doing until I noticed that a striker was making a run to the ball

i know. it's like he has eyes in the back hidden under that mullet. didn't even look up.

would be really made up if my favourite player of all time came back- a sort of macca redux.

Yes he's fit as far as I know.
great news hope he wins the whole thing.

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:28:40 pm by Helsinki Red »

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: November 13, 2009, 08:26:02 am »
Brilliant. Thanks for them.

No problemo mate. Lovely vids.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #252 on: November 13, 2009, 08:57:48 pm »
No problemo mate. Lovely vids.
Defo mate, all them clips...God I wish we could still get him on loan now. Doesnt matter who the main striker is. Jari would create chance after chance for them!
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: November 13, 2009, 11:22:06 pm »
Defo mate, all them clips...God I wish we could still get him on loan now. Doesnt matter who the main striker is. Jari would create chance after chance for them!

Not a Rafa type player though is he? Dirk every time.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #254 on: November 14, 2009, 11:00:06 pm »
Not a Rafa type player though is he? Dirk every time.

VdeM is right, isn't he?

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: November 15, 2009, 04:35:36 pm »
VdeM is right, isn't he?

He's often right, but what are you referring to specifically?

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #256 on: November 15, 2009, 06:08:26 pm »
He's often right, but what are you referring to specifically?
What he said.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #257 on: November 15, 2009, 09:28:50 pm »
VdeM is right, isn't he?

You have it in for Dirk. All because his second touch is a tackle.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: November 16, 2009, 08:15:26 am »
He runs around a lot more than Jari though etc.

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: November 16, 2009, 01:29:04 pm »

david's first touch is his tackle.

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: March 7, 2010, 06:34:05 am »
was browsing around for previews when i came across this:

"But my real saviour at Ajax, the man who saved my career, was Jari Litmanen. He was so good and committed and experienced. We had three good strikers: Machlas, Mido and myself. And Jari took you by the hand, on the field. He talked, coached, guided and basically made you better on the pitch. He allowed others to play better.”

he then speaks of kuningas in the company of zizou and bergkamp- which is pretty much consistent in my view where jari is in history- one of the really "complete" players in terms of finishing, passing, technique, tactics and awareness.
http://netherlands.worldcupblog.org/1/zlatan-ibrahimovic-jari-litmanen-saved-me.html

very touching video of his last game for the ajacieden (with one of the very underrated yet very technically gifted/tactically minded defenders of all time- dirk "danny" blnd): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKHWluuWMQg

on a tangent- do we have an official channel yet?
« Last Edit: March 7, 2010, 06:36:59 am by buchigo! »

Offline Jaska

• Hävytön mulkku - cheek shagger
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: March 9, 2010, 11:42:17 pm »
was browsing around for previews when i came across this:

"But my real saviour at Ajax, the man who saved my career, was Jari Litmanen. He was so good and committed and experienced. We had three good strikers: Machlas, Mido and myself. And Jari took you by the hand, on the field. He talked, coached, guided and basically made you better on the pitch. He allowed others to play better.”

he then speaks of kuningas in the company of zizou and bergkamp- which is pretty much consistent in my view where jari is in history- one of the really "complete" players in terms of finishing, passing, technique, tactics and awareness.
http://netherlands.worldcupblog.org/1/zlatan-ibrahimovic-jari-litmanen-saved-me.html

very touching video of his last game for the ajacieden (with one of the very underrated yet very technically gifted/tactically minded defenders of all time- dirk "danny" blnd): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKHWluuWMQg

on a tangent- do we have an official channel yet?
Fantastic!

Interesting read about the managers' styles as well.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #262 on: March 10, 2010, 09:45:35 am »
What a great read. Very refreshing interview that, you never get anything like it in Sweden. Like Zlatan himselfs says, it's just tabloids trying to sell papers using his name, you never get any insights about him, his clubs, or the managers he's played for. Comes across as a quite thoughful and humble person, not what I expected.

Offline mbroon

• would like a clean space - hasn't got one
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: March 10, 2010, 11:00:06 am »
What a great read. Very refreshing interview that, you never get anything like it in Sweden. Like Zlatan himselfs says, it's just tabloids trying to sell papers using his name, you never get any insights about him, his clubs, or the managers he's played for. Comes across as a quite thoughful and humble person, not what I expected.

You wan't to get an insight about Zlatan, watch Blådårar 2. Follows Malmö FF's way back into Allsvenskan and Zlatan enters the fray. There are off-pitch interviews with him, the director at Malmö and others.

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: March 11, 2010, 08:05:55 pm »

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: March 11, 2010, 08:20:36 pm »
Also for the Dutch speakers can I just say that Dirk Kuyt is shuyt.

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: March 11, 2010, 11:45:21 pm »
Also for the Dutch speakers can I just say that Dirk Kuyt is shuyt.

you went in the litmanen thread for that? god you're lame.

Offline Captain Relief

• Gerrard Handler
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #267 on: March 12, 2010, 12:07:25 am »
One of the best players in the 90s for sure.
Might have been posted before but has anyone seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ-ZfM71TFM
The quality's not the best but that's a compilation of his performance in a game of the Finnish Cup when he was 17. What a talent.
Allegedly there was an Ajax scout watching that game, and they obviously signed him immediately since the scout was so convinced that this lad would become one of the top players in the world.
"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."
—Bill Shankly about the 'This is Anfield' plaque

Offline sull14

• Legacy Fan
  • Random Avatar Title.
« Reply #268 on: March 12, 2010, 12:38:19 am »
He is nothing short of a footballing genius. his ability to execute what he intends is poetry in motion. What a footballer.

Of all of the regrets of GH's era, (not signing Anelka, not pushing on for the league) etc this is the one that pains me most.

The lad was made up when he signed by us. and you can clearly tell from reading about his persona off the field, that he meant every word.

Wish he was given a fair go. Genuinely think he'd still nearly be with us if he was treated properly.
JFT96

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: April 16, 2010, 09:19:05 am »
Litmanen signed a new contract with FC Lahti until the end of season. Finnish Premier League kicks off tonight.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #270 on: April 16, 2010, 04:40:13 pm »
Litmanen signed a new contract with FC Lahti until the end of season. Finnish Premier League kicks off tonight.

Legend.

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: April 16, 2010, 06:30:11 pm »

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! one more year from kuningas!

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: April 25, 2010, 08:43:41 pm »
Litmanen scored his first goal of the season today. King Litti equalised for Lahti on 89th minute.

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: April 25, 2010, 10:19:30 pm »
Very tempted to get Litmanen 37 on my shirt. One of my favourite players of all time.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #274 on: April 25, 2010, 10:20:42 pm »
Of all of the regrets of GH's era, (not signing Anelka, not pushing on for the league) etc this is the one that pains me most.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, over 50-odd years of watching LFC I'd put losing Litmanen as one of the half-dozen or so times I've wondered if I was beginning to lose confidence in the way the team was being run. A unique player.
I'm trying to remember who we were playing, that game when he robbed somebody out on the right wing not far inside their half, then ran through and scored untouched. Sheer genius.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #275 on: April 25, 2010, 10:21:31 pm »
That pass to Heskey, in the Man City FA Cup game. Sheer bloody genius.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #276 on: April 26, 2010, 01:06:18 pm »
That pass to Heskey, in the Man City FA Cup game. Sheer bloody genius.

First time diagonal ball for Heskey to run onto? Made Andy Morrison look poor and that was no easy feat!

Favourite game of his was the 5-0 against Palace when he set up a few and tried to tee Fowler up for a goal when it was easier for him to score.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #277 on: April 26, 2010, 01:10:25 pm »
First time diagonal ball for Heskey to run onto? Made Andy Morrison look poor and that was no easy feat!

That's the one. Poetically beautiful.

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: April 26, 2010, 01:35:01 pm »
Absolute class player and I was disappointed to say the least that he didn't or wasn't allowed to make a bigger impact in his time here.

One stat that surprised me is that he has only scored 25 league goals since 1999 !
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: May 3, 2010, 06:13:30 pm »
Litmanen scored his 2nd goal of the season tonight. Lahti are leading 1-3 against Inter away.