Author Topic: Why was the DNC thread locked?  (Read 2856 times)

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Why was the DNC thread locked?
« on: November 5, 2017, 07:10:26 pm »
Nothing seemed particularly out of line, no insults etc?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Why was the DNC thread locked?
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2017, 11:41:26 pm »
Well, as an interested reader rather than a poster, it seemed to me that it had rapidly spiralled into the same sort of unpleasant nastiness that infects the Labour party thread.

I'm guessing that the moderators felt one such thread was quite enough for the various shades of left-wing thought to despise each other in, and that nothing of value has been lost.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 6, 2017, 12:08:56 am »
Well, as an interested reader rather than a poster, it seemed to me that it had rapidly spiralled into the same sort of unpleasant nastiness that infects the Labour party thread.

I'm guessing that the moderators felt one such thread was quite enough for the various shades of left-wing thought to despise each other in, and that nothing of value has been lost.

It seems odd to me that American politics are fair game as long as you aren't criticizing the Democrats. There's two threads on Trump, and one on mass shootings, but we can't talk about the other side? The Democrats rebuilding (well, shooting themselves in the foot mostly) is a valid topic for discussion, but it's not allowed in the Trump thread and it's not allowed it's own thread because some people are passionate about Bernie (pro and against)?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 6, 2017, 12:43:25 am »
Well, I'm no spokesman for the moderating team, but the key thing seems to me to be the level of effort needed to keep things on track. Pretty much all of us agree about Trump and right wing politics - in that we at RAWK tend to despise what they do, Republican or Tory. Little dissent arises, the insults are aimed at the representatives of the right.

Left wing politics has, I think it's fair to say, split very substantially into factions. Posters here reflect that, and tend to rapidly start denigrating those that don't think like they do. Left wing politics has also developed a fairly weird hagiographic tendency, and this often makes reasoned arguments almost impossible. This, because we all care, and are in a general sense of despair about the way the right is taking the world, tends to raise passions to the point where innuendo, anger and insult take over.

Since the politics forum is a sub-section of a football site, I would take the view that moderators feel it's not worth the candle. Hard enough dealing with the WUMs and depressives on the football threads, let alone a sub-section that probably no-one would miss if it got deleted.

I imagine if we were all better at self-moderation, there would be less locked topics.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 6, 2017, 12:48:25 am »
Well, I'm no spokesman for the moderating team, but the key thing seems to me to be the level of effort needed to keep things on track. Pretty much all of us agree about Trump and right wing politics - in that we at RAWK tend to despise what they do, Republican or Tory. Little dissent arises, the insults are aimed at the representatives of the right.

Left wing politics has, I think it's fair to say, split very substantially into factions. Posters here reflect that, and tend to rapidly start denigrating those that don't think like they do. Left wing politics has also developed a fairly weird hagiographic tendency, and this often makes reasoned arguments almost impossible. This, because we all care, and are in a general sense of despair about the way the right is taking the world, tends to raise passions to the point where innuendo, anger and insult take over.

Since the politics forum is a sub-section of a football site, I would take the view that moderators feel it's not worth the candle. Hard enough dealing with the WUMs and depressives on the football threads, let alone a sub-section that probably no-one would miss if it got deleted.

I imagine if we were all better at self-moderation, there would be less locked topics.

Well that's probably about as good an answer as anyone could hope for, they should make you a mod...

...and then you should run a DNC thread  ;D

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #5 on: November 6, 2017, 06:08:23 am »

That’s pretty much it. Same reason that Labour threads keep getting locked.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #6 on: November 6, 2017, 04:26:17 pm »
Well, I'm no spokesman for the moderating team.....

That's an absolute belter of a post and expresses things far better than I ever could be arsed to. I echo every sentiment in it, especially the one at the end, although, as an elitist snob, I should point out it is "fewer" and not "less". ;D :wave

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #7 on: November 6, 2017, 04:29:53 pm »
That's an absolute belter of a post and expresses things far better than I ever could be arsed to. I echo every sentiment in it, especially the one at the end, although, as an elitist snob, I should point out it is "fewer" and not "less". ;D :wave

You have been away too long if you still register discrete topic rather than an amorphous wall of idiocy. The use of less conveys that sentiment.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #8 on: November 6, 2017, 04:33:26 pm »
The current Labour topic is being ridiculously harshly moderated, which anything that can be interpreted as snide called out. It leads to moderating decisions that probably are gratuitously draconian. But there is no other practical way to keep the topic open. We suspect the same approach would have been necessary for the DNC one, and it is more grief that it is worth. We will probably have to bite the bullet come primary time, but for the moment the price is too steep.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 6, 2017, 05:15:40 pm »
You have been away too long if you still register discrete topic rather than an amorphous wall of idiocy. The use of less conveys that sentiment.
That's exactly what I was thinking    :P

Online Banquo's Ghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 6, 2017, 06:54:10 pm »
... although, as an elitist snob, I should point out it is "fewer" and not "less". ;D :wave

You are right, and I am utterly shamed. Now I notice that there was a split infinitive there as well. Oh, the ignominy.

:-[

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 6, 2017, 10:11:59 pm »
The current Labour topic is being ridiculously harshly moderated, which anything that can be interpreted as snide called out. It leads to moderating decisions that probably are gratuitously draconian. But there is no other practical way to keep the topic open. We suspect the same approach would have been necessary for the DNC one, and it is more grief that it is worth. We will probably have to bite the bullet come primary time, but for the moment the price is too steep.

I find it fascinating, as an American. I get that it's a British site so British politics will naturally be a part of it, and adding American stuff is just more work for minimal benefit, but it's an interesting topic of conversation in the west these days.

Hey Claus, fuck off.