Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1446319 times)

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Virgil Van Dijk signs for Liverpool
« Reply #3960 on: December 21, 2018, 10:34:17 pm »
I give up. H's too good. Honestly cant find the words anymore to express how good he is.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #3961 on: December 21, 2018, 10:38:18 pm »
Best defender I've ever seen unrivaled
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3962 on: December 21, 2018, 10:38:47 pm »
Machine.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3963 on: December 21, 2018, 10:39:02 pm »
What a man :-* :lickin

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #3964 on: December 21, 2018, 10:39:34 pm »
Superlatives don't do him justice, like at all.

Offline babraham

• blincoln. Likes to have man crushes cos he's so pretty, oh so pretty (vacant).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3965 on: December 21, 2018, 10:41:00 pm »
I honestly think Adama Traore is the fastest player in the league. That was crazy.
The imbecile formerly known as babraham. But now called babraham again! Though still an imbecile. Sadly.

Klopp: "We have to change from doubters to believers...NOW"

Offline lucid-tentacles

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Living for the moment
« Reply #3966 on: December 21, 2018, 10:44:48 pm »
I used to think Sami was magnificent but Virgil well i'm speechless
I don't mind waitin', don't mind waitin'
Cause no matter how long it takes
All of us know
That it's getting better
Growing stronger, warm and wilder
Getting better everyday,

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3967 on: December 21, 2018, 10:45:53 pm »
He is the best player in the league for me. World class.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3968 on: December 21, 2018, 10:48:12 pm »
He is the best player in the league for me. World class.

Yip. I know Salah, Hazard, Kane, De Bruyne, Aguero etc would be a lot of peoples choice, but its always been Van Dijk for me. The single most important player in the league to any team.

Offline Red Dane

• Kopite
  • Probinate nobis similibusque
« Reply #3969 on: December 21, 2018, 10:49:27 pm »
He is by far the best in the League - and so much better than Laporte!
Every power draws its ultimate consequences at every moment. Supposing that this also is only interpretation-and you will be eager enough to make this objection?-well, so much the better. (Nietzsche; Beyond Good & Evil, p. 30-31).

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3970 on: December 21, 2018, 10:53:33 pm »
How long before Southampton are claiming we massively underpaid for Virgil like Roma do with Salah?
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3971 on: December 21, 2018, 10:55:20 pm »
I used to think Sami was magnificent but Virgil well i'm speechless

I used to joke that we needed a Sami with pace. And now we've signed one.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3972 on: December 21, 2018, 10:55:42 pm »
How long before Southampton are claiming we massively underpaid for Virgil like Roma do with Salah?

No, no. He was overrated and not the player he was pre-injury remember?

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3973 on: December 21, 2018, 10:56:57 pm »
I think they under paid for Danny Ings. There is a 25goal a season striker if he’s injury free. We should have made them pay at least 30.

Offline lucid-tentacles

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Living for the moment
« Reply #3974 on: December 21, 2018, 10:57:29 pm »
I tell you Van Dijk and Gomez are going to live long in our memories
I don't mind waitin', don't mind waitin'
Cause no matter how long it takes
All of us know
That it's getting better
Growing stronger, warm and wilder
Getting better everyday,

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3975 on: December 21, 2018, 11:12:32 pm »
In terms of achievements he’s clearly behind many Liverpool defenders, but I have never seen a better central defender playing for us. Hyypiä was fantastic, but Van Dijk has everything he had, with added leadership, far greater pace, and better ability on the ball. I honestly doubt if I have ever seen a more talented central defender for any team in the 25-30 or so years that I’ve been watching football. Again, many have achieved a lot more, but very few can match Van Dijk’s allround ability.

He's prime Rio Ferdinand 90% of the time. And then when he needs to, he morphs into prime John Terry. He's absolutely amazing in a way that few defenders are. Maybe a more physical version of Nesta who IMO was the best defender in the world for about a decade before he aged and the next generation came through.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline T. Finn

• Main Stander
« Reply #3976 on: December 21, 2018, 11:13:42 pm »
Give him whatever he wants for as long as he wants

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #3977 on: December 21, 2018, 11:19:51 pm »
He is by far the best in the League the world - and so much better than LaPorte! Everyone

Fixed that for you mate  :wave

The guy is a colossus! A total man mountain and an incredible footballer. Worth every single penny. So so glad he's ours! God bless Jurgen and his secret trip to Blackpool!  ;D
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3978 on: December 21, 2018, 11:22:37 pm »
https://www.football365.com/news/next-year-could-be-liverpools-year-with-van-dijk

Since he joined, no player has played more minutes for Liverpool. No player has completed more passes, made more clearances, won more headers, or made more interceptions. Opponents cannot go through him, under him, over him or around him. They must simply hope for the best, because in his current form, there might be no better defender in the world.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3979 on: December 21, 2018, 11:25:16 pm »

Not all down to him of course but he easily claims the poster boy creds.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3980 on: December 21, 2018, 11:29:47 pm »
This man might just be the best player, adjusting for position, in the world.

I think already after a year he is my greatest ever Liverpool player.

I have not seen anything like him. He's seriously world class.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3981 on: December 21, 2018, 11:32:02 pm »
https://www.football365.com/news/next-year-could-be-liverpools-year-with-van-dijk

Since he joined, no player has played more minutes for Liverpool. No player has completed more passes, made more clearances, won more headers, or made more interceptions. Opponents cannot go through him, under him, over him or around him. They must simply hope for the best, because in his current form, there might be no better defender in the world.

"This was Wolves chance. They had been the better team in the first half...".

Yeah. No.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3982 on: December 21, 2018, 11:32:56 pm »
This man might just be the best player, adjusting for position, in the world.

I think already after a year he is my greatest ever Liverpool player.

I have not seen anything like him. He's seriously world class.
woah Gerrard didn’t grow old for nothing. Chill out yeah.

Offline GIPPO77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3983 on: December 21, 2018, 11:33:24 pm »
A real team leader.
YNWA

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3984 on: December 21, 2018, 11:33:30 pm »
Oldies - is he better than peak Jocky? Best defender I’ve seen in England in my lifetime, better than hyypia, Ferdinand, terry, vidic, Campbell, Adams & Stam.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3985 on: December 21, 2018, 11:35:12 pm »
I’m 28 and he’s possibly the best centre back I’ve seen for this club.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3986 on: December 21, 2018, 11:37:03 pm »
Oldies - is he better than peak Jocky? Best defender I’ve seen in England in my lifetime, better than hyypia, Ferdinand, terry, vidic, Campbell, Adams & Stam.

That's the question for me too. I agree with you on the rest. He seems to have something more than all of the players you listed there. Faster than Hyypia, better aerially and more aggressive than Ferdinand, faster and much better on the ball than Terry and Vidic, better overall than Campbell and Adams, and faster again and better on the ball than Stam.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3987 on: December 21, 2018, 11:40:48 pm »
That's the question for me too. I agree with you on the rest. He seems to have something more than all of the players you listed there. Faster than Hyypia, better aerially and more aggressive than Ferdinand, faster and much better on the ball than Terry and Vidic, better overall than Campbell and Adams, and faster again and better on the ball than Stam.
Terry was underrated on the ball. Was two footed. Wouldn’t say there is much between VVD and Terry passing wise.

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3988 on: December 21, 2018, 11:40:58 pm »
I’m 28 and he’s possibly the best centre back I’ve seen for this club.

The best since Sami by a long way.
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3989 on: December 21, 2018, 11:43:21 pm »
Terry was underrated on the ball. Was two footed. Wouldn’t say there is much between VVD and Terry passing wise.

I thought he was underrated too but some of the passes that Virgil hits, his close control and touch, and his shooting are all a level above Terry's. There was a moment today when a defender tried to close him down as he was about to shoot. He faked a shot, move the ball slightly to leave the defender sliding away into no man's land and then hit his shot, which was blocked. But it was not the control of a defender. It was of a much higher calibre and more akin to that of a forward.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3990 on: December 21, 2018, 11:44:15 pm »

He's close enough for it to be a debate. He's probably a touch quicker than Hansen, but everyone is quicker - basically, Hansen was as quick versus the strikers of his day as VVD is now. VVD is better in the air, and probably physically stronger. Hansen I think put the ball into touch less, being pretty much the best defender I've ever seen at unexpectedly turning away from a challenging striker with the ball and keeping possession. Hansen also seemed more adept bringing the ball out of defence - VVD looks good doing it, but it doesn't often really come to anything (he often advances 20 yards then turns and lays the ball back). But that's a tough one to recall without forensic examination of Hansen games to a degree that they don't exist, and the lack of stats for that period.

It's close, on talent. VVD certainly has a way to go to prove himself over an extended period, and at the moment possibly needs to have a few more commanding performances in the biggest of games.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3991 on: December 21, 2018, 11:45:01 pm »
What a player. Sometimes he makes defending look so easy, so natural. That's an art very few master.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3992 on: December 21, 2018, 11:48:54 pm »
There's no one I enjoy watching more for us right now. The bit where he stood off Jimenez, the foot race with a really fucking fast Traore where he just went through the gears and the goal he richly deserves. What a wonderful footballer.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3993 on: December 21, 2018, 11:48:55 pm »
In terms of achievements he’s clearly behind many Liverpool defenders, but I have never seen a better central defender playing for us. Hyypiä was fantastic, but Van Dijk has everything he had, with added leadership, far greater pace, and better ability on the ball. I honestly doubt if I have ever seen a more talented central defender for any team in the 25-30 or so years that I’ve been watching football. Again, many have achieved a lot more, but very few can match Van Dijk’s allround ability.
25 years would take us back to 1993. That includes the age of Maldini, Nesta, Desailly etc. So Van Dijk isn't the only defender in that time with all-round world class ability.

If he wins some serious trophies, we can start comparing him to the best of other generations. Right now, we limit it to his own generation: Ramos, Varane, Thiago Silva, etc., and we can say that he is probably the best in the world right now.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #3994 on: December 21, 2018, 11:55:36 pm »
Virgil must be feeling really chuffed and justified in his decision to come here, literal choice of any club in the world, chose the absolute best place for him.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3995 on: December 21, 2018, 11:57:17 pm »
Virgil must be feeling really chuffed and justified in his decision to come here, literal choice of any club in the world, chose the absolute best place for him.

Almost a year since we signed him and around 18 months since he last visited Blackpool.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3996 on: December 21, 2018, 11:57:44 pm »
If we’re picking sides and I have first pick from any player on the planet...

I pick VVD has my first choice
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3997 on: December 21, 2018, 11:58:18 pm »
Hes our centre half
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3998 on: December 22, 2018, 12:00:15 am »
Hes fucking good!  ;D
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3999 on: December 22, 2018, 12:03:24 am »