Author Topic: The Overseas fan...A perspective  (Read 5403 times)

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
Re: The Overseas fan...A perspective
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2019, 11:48:45 pm »
I think it would be the case with most people in the ground, if a supporter from another country was sat next to them and started having a chat, they would probably be interested in where you were from and ask you about it. Most people are friendly and if you're nice they're nice back.

I sat next to a guy from Birmingham for years, we got on fine but couldn't understand a word he said.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2019, 01:59:50 am »
I feel some affinity for the OP. I was born in an African country and got into the club at a really young age when my parents were supporting them in the '89 cup final. After that I was obsessed, got a replica shirt and got my mom to sew a white nine on the back so I could pretend I was Rushie.

We moved to England a few years later, I got to go to some games and still occasionally do, but the reality is most of it is from afar. Having said that, I lived in the US for a while and met some fans there, spent six months in Melbourne going to the Imperial to watch games starting at 2am and onwards, and have watched games and bonded with fellow fans in and from loads of countries. Usually they have their own local teams and we enjoy swapping notes. More recently, I moved elsewhere in the UK and joined what became one of the biggest regional supporters groups and got to know a bunch of Liverpool expats and people from elsewhere in the country and outside. They were all sound and they were some of the more passionate fans you could ever meet, and they've formed a community based on the club.

Ultimately, I think we start off in different places and hopefully meet somewhere in the middle. I don't want to sound trite or sanctimonious but a big part of the reason I love the club is because of what it represents, and while the spirit of the city is instrumental in that, I'd like to think it's something that's universal, and something we ultimately recognise in each other. Both at Anfield and on rawk.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2019, 04:27:09 am »
Australian supporter here of about 17 years, give or take. I've been lucky enough to get to Anfield once so far in those 17 years (Klopp's first home game!), and I hope to get there many more times in my life. If I had no other commitments and/or was 10 years younger, I'd probably move to Liverpool for a year or two so I can make those visits more frequent.

The first thing I'll say is, overseas supporters - the ones that do care enough to make the pilgrimage to Anfield at least, can have a very real and special connection with the club. Special enough that for eight months of the year, it's a part of the weekly routine to get up at/stay up till 2am-5am to watch the team play. Special enough to feel the heartbreak of a lost cup final or title race for days. That's with whatever family commitments, whatever travel commitments, whatever work commitments that might be going on, for a club that's on the other side of the world. In some ways, it's more of a madness to have that kind of dedication for and connection with a club for overseas supporters than it is for local supporters. After all, we don't live in cities that live and breathe football. Our communities are virtual (a la RAWK) or hard won by specifically seeking out other fans. Our connection with the club isn't something we inherit or are born into. It's something we very much choose.

With all of that said, there's no doubt in my mind that whatsoever that local supporters have more of a connection with the club. The fact that we are so far from the club means our connection to the club cannot be as viscerally real and lived as that of someone that's in the city. For example, as I hated Hicks and Gillett and mourned the loss of Rafa in 2010, and felt the turmoil of the Hodgson months and lead-up to FSG taking over, following every development up to that moment, I couldn't be a part of any of the collective action, in organisation or participation. For club tragedies like Hillsborough, I can be a student of the history and again, feel some measure of the anger. But those emotions will always be one or several steps removed because not being there means I don't have the ability to participate and be a part of the experience in the same way that I would if I were.

But, I do think we overseas supporters give a lot of love and devotion to the club in a way that we do to few other things in life. Outside of family and career (and my values, which Liverpool happily reflects), there's nothing else that's more important to me. In that context, I hope local supporters will begin by treating us like any other supporters - mind you (and maybe it's because I don't talk about being an overseas supporter everyday), I've never felt that I've been treated differently on RAWK.

Offline henry

• Anny Roader
  • My chicken is better than yours
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2019, 11:59:09 am »
I am originally from Hong Kong and I have been supporting Liverpool since I was 8-9 years old. Came to Scotland for schooling at the age of 15 and I was really lucky to watch Liverpool when they were doing their Asia tours back then and if not because of those tours, I wouldn't be able to watch them in person when I was younger.

I was really fortunate to land myself a decent job after uni and from 2010 onward I managed to travel to Anfield for at least 1 game per season with my friends and now it has become an annual Lad weekend event.

I understand why some local supporters don't like the idea of the team travelling for their pre-season match but even a HOME pre-season match host in Scotland means a lot to the Scottish supporters like myself who can't visit Anfield all the time and we are in the same island so imagine folks who are from a different country.

It is not impossible, its just improbable

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2019, 12:09:40 pm »
I am originally from Hong Kong and I have been supporting Liverpool since I was 8-9 years old. Came to Scotland for schooling at the age of 15 and I was really lucky to watch Liverpool when they were doing their Asia tours back then and if not because of those tours, I wouldn't be able to watch them in person when I was younger.

I was really fortunate to land myself a decent job after uni and from 2010 onward I managed to travel to Anfield for at least 1 game per season with my friends and now it has become an annual Lad weekend event.

I understand why some local supporters don't like the idea of the team travelling for their pre-season match but even a HOME pre-season match host in Scotland means a lot to the Scottish supporters like myself who can't visit Anfield all the time and we are in the same island so imagine folks who are from a different country.

Same with me, the first Liverpool game I've ever watched live was here in Hong Kong a few years ago. Those tours mean a lot to people like us.

I don't begrudge the local fans saying that the team belongs to Liverpool. I mean they are appropriately named Liverpool Football Club for that reason. But regardless, the story I get most emotional to now above all else is the one about Anne Williams, and I feel just as proud and happy for the supporters all these years who have used all their efforts in order to show the truth to the world.

LFC means a lot to a lot of people around the world. I think in this respect, it is something the club and their supporters should be proud of.