Author Topic: The Great Persons "Cabinet" Draft - Discussion Thread  (Read 27867 times)

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
The Great Persons "Cabinet" Draft - Discussion Thread
« on: October 9, 2017, 12:59:35 pm »
Ever wondered what the UK would’ve been like with Bill Shankly as Prime Minister? Or Peter Ridsdale as Minister of Finance? Well now’s your chance…

Each drafter will be tasked with creating a state/country/nation, call it what you will, and then selecting a cabinet of 8 Ministers to lead it to greatness…or destruction! The goal is a simple one: to create the greatest state the world has ever seen. You may select any person ever to have existed, living or dead. Be creative and bring together greats from the worlds of politics, science, finance, philosophy, sports & the arts in order to create the ultimate super-team.

At the end, each drafter will get the chance to present their newly formed administration, explaining how they’d come together to create the greatest state this world has ever seen. Then we all vote on which drafter has created the state in which we’d most like to live.

Rules:

-   1 Prime Minister
-   1 Foreign Minister
-   1 Minister of War/Defence
-   1 Minister of Finance/Economy
-   1 Minister of Science/Health
-   1 Minister of Culture/Education
-   2 Wildcards (Create your own Ministries)

At least one of your Ministers must be female.

Only real people who have actually existed are eligible, so no fictional characters, alter egos or characters from myths/legends. Religious figures are eligible, but without relying on religious scriptures as evidence (i.e. if you pick Jesus, you get the Jesus of Nazareth who gave teachings on Christianity rather than Jesus as he appears in the Bible).

There are no restrictions on who you can pick in each category, so you can pick a footballers as your Minister of Science if you really want to, although it probably wouldn’t be advisable!

Selection Order:
Lastrador
Betty Blue
Rysoph76
Samie
noname
Harold Barton
Buck Pete
Anywhichwayucan
sms1986
KingLuis
Titi Camara
Crimson_Tank
tubby
Klippity Klopp
Vishwa Atma
Eel Lobo
Sheer Magnetism
McrRed
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:00:29 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Great Persons "Cabinet" Draft - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 9, 2017, 01:07:16 pm »
I quite liked the idea of the Food Minister being added.

We can all have Chefs, Gemma Collins etc as the Minister! :D

But it looks good KL, should be a fun draft and not too serious.  Actually the stranger and more bizarre & unlikely the picks the better I'd say.  ;D

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #2 on: October 9, 2017, 01:20:06 pm »
I quite liked the idea of the Food Minister being added.

We can all have Chefs, Gemma Collins etc as the Minister! :D

But it looks good KL, should be a fun draft and not too serious.  Actually the stranger and more bizarre & unlikely the picks the better I'd say.  ;D

I pretty much pulled the 8 Ministers/Ministries out my arse while typing up the opening post :D So I'm open to suggestions for amending the list, or adding more Ministries to it.

We could even expand the draft & make it so you're picking a whole load of other stuff and essentially building a country rather than just the administration. Geographical region, monuments, stuff like that. Just a bit wary of expanding it too far and having way too many picks.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #3 on: October 9, 2017, 01:31:41 pm »
Personally I think you've got it almost spot on. The only amend I would make is dropping the sports minister in favour of a second wild card.

That way it's a bit more free form and gives people options. Drafters could elect for a minister for social reform and a minister for food, or whatever the hell they like.

I think a sports minister is about as interesting an appointment as one to have your piles poked back in!

I wouldn't make it any more complicated than that. Also, as Betty will tell you, write ups are about as useful as a moustache on a mule.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4 on: October 9, 2017, 01:40:08 pm »
Haha this sounds ace, I’ll have a go
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #5 on: October 9, 2017, 01:44:13 pm »
Personally I think you've got it almost spot on. The only amend I would make is dropping the sports minister in favour of a second wild card.

That way it's a bit more free form and gives people options. Drafters could elect for a minister for social reform and a minister for food, or whatever the hell they like.

I think a sports minister is about as interesting an appointment as one to have your piles poked back in!

I wouldn't make it any more complicated than that. Also, as Betty will tell you, write ups are about as useful as a moustache on a mule.

That's a really good idea actually. Wasn't too fussed about the Sports Minister myself, especially if we're gonna be doing an Ultimate Sportsperson draft at some point. And if we're replacing it with a second wildcard then people can still pick a Sports Minister if they want to.

Write-ups will be optional if we do them, just think it would be cool to let people explain their picks, how their country would work and whatnot. Doubt they'll affect the vote much either way.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 9, 2017, 01:58:29 pm »
Ha ha I've literally picked all mine already...and 13 alternates ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 9, 2017, 02:05:29 pm »
No category for The Department of Social Affairs and Citizenship?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8 on: October 9, 2017, 02:15:35 pm »
Bearing in mind I know absolutely nothing about politics, is this option a choice of two?

-   1 Minister of Science/Health

So I either pick a minister of science or health?  Or is it the same thing?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #9 on: October 9, 2017, 02:18:38 pm »
Bearing in mind I know absolutely nothing about politics, is this option a choice of two?

-   1 Minister of Science/Health

So I either pick a minister of science or health?  Or is it the same thing?

Yeah one or the other, same with Culture/Education. That was me trying to cram as many Ministries in there as possible :D

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #10 on: October 9, 2017, 03:03:56 pm »
I'll have a go at this one, haven't done a draft in a while and this seems like it might be a laugh  :wave
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline Harold Barton

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: October 9, 2017, 03:26:41 pm »
I'll have a go.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #12 on: October 9, 2017, 03:33:21 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/krithika-varagur/mother-teresa-was-no-saint_b_9470988.html

Thought twice about using the pic in the opening post for this reason. But given that my alternative was the pic below, it's safe to say my hands were tied :D

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 9, 2017, 03:41:20 pm »
No category for The Department of Social Affairs and Citizenship?
What about the Department of Records at the Ministry of Information?

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 9, 2017, 04:00:09 pm »
If you take exception to something, the report button is there for a reason, snippy comments derailing the thread just aren't on.

Cheers 8) :wave

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 9, 2017, 04:27:49 pm »
If you take exception to something, the report button is there for a reason, snippy comments derailing the thread just aren't on.

Cheers 8) :wave

Didn’t see much wrong with your piles comment, but as long as you've learned your lesson.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 9, 2017, 04:40:15 pm »
;D :wave

Are we hoping for 16 drafters? Could defo do with a few more! The more the merrier and all that!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 9, 2017, 04:43:50 pm »
Call upon the Mongoose, Pete  and the rest of new batch of drafters.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #18 on: October 9, 2017, 04:44:14 pm »
I'm out.

Offline Harold Barton

• Main Stander
« Reply #19 on: October 9, 2017, 04:54:30 pm »
You either create something and you keep it a secret and you die with it, or you can benefit the craft.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 9, 2017, 05:20:29 pm »
Mate i need your expertise on a thread i created in the Boozer.  :wave

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #21 on: October 9, 2017, 05:36:35 pm »

Are we hoping for 16 drafters? Could defo do with a few more! The more the merrier and all that!

16 would be ideal but we can go ahead with fewer drafters if needed. We've got 10 already so we're not doing too badly, let's give it until tomorrow.

Think a few are put off because it sounds political when in reality it'll be nothing of the sort... there's bound to be some great pisstaking in this thread, much more so than in the music/movie drafts ;D

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 9, 2017, 05:54:14 pm »

-   1 Minister of War

???

What is that about?
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23 on: October 9, 2017, 05:59:03 pm »
This and the selection thread are the only threads I'm posting in. I'm sure the merry band of know-alls will help you out.

I'm going to enjoy this draft and then I'm off again.

That exile lasted long. :D

Good to see you have a change of heart though.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #24 on: October 9, 2017, 06:07:22 pm »
???

What is that about?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_Defence

Gone with the Ministry of War alternative so that people have the option of picking wartime leaders/generals from the past who might've been well suited to a Ministry of War, and less so to a Ministry of Defence!

Changed it to "Minister of War/Defence" though so that people have the option  :thumbup

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 9, 2017, 06:09:41 pm »
This and the selection thread are the only threads I'm posting in. I'm sure the merry band of know-alls will help you out.

I'm going to enjoy this draft and then I'm off again.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 9, 2017, 06:18:27 pm »

Think a few are put off because it sounds political when in reality it'll be nothing of the sort... there's bound to be some great pisstaking in this thread, much more so than in the music/movie drafts ;D

Ahhh fuck it go on then

There will be no seriousness whatsoever in my picks and none of the choices would actually stand a cat in hells chance of getting a real job in any Parliament (well UK Parliament anyway)

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 9, 2017, 06:25:14 pm »
Alright I'm in.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #28 on: October 9, 2017, 06:26:08 pm »
Ahhh fuck it go on then

There will be no seriousness whatsoever in my picks and none of the choices would actually stand a cat in hells chance of getting a real job in any Parliament (well UK Parliament anyway)

Good stuff!

I might.....might! pick a politician as Prime Minister. The rest won't even be close, just aiming to pick some of my favourite people from history.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 9, 2017, 06:29:58 pm »
I'll have a go. No idea who I'll pick, though!

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 9, 2017, 06:57:30 pm »

You know one of the guys who played the Tony Robinson's guards in that (Gary or Graeme I think) is a pretty successful novelist?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #31 on: October 9, 2017, 07:35:33 pm »
I'll play. Just don't expect me to take it seriously  ;)
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #32 on: October 9, 2017, 07:42:19 pm »
Ill Play
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 9, 2017, 07:43:11 pm »
I'll play. Just don't expect me to take it seriously  ;)

I’m hoping no-one will cos at the minute I’m just trying to think of the daftest picks

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 9, 2017, 11:22:39 pm »
Don't know why but not up for this for whatever reason, though I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's picks. Would definitely be up for a fictional characters version if anyone fancies a sequel.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 03:01:18 am »
I'd do a fictional characters too.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 08:40:15 am »
Don't know why but not up for this for whatever reason, though I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's picks. Would definitely be up for a fictional characters version if anyone fancies a sequel.

Ha, that’s a great idea for a follow-up draft if this one goes well!

We’re at 15 drafters now so we can get this bad boy started if people are up for it. 3 groups of 5 for voting, or 5 groups of 3. Someone’s bound to turn up once we’ve started picking anyway, they can join at the bottom of the selection order to make it a nice, round 16.

Offline Vishwa Atma

• Legacy Fan
  • Money for nothing....
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 09:32:11 am »
I am interested if there's a spot :wave

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 09:52:00 am »
I am interested if there's a spot :wave

There is indeed!

Here's the picking order, I'll set up the selection thread in a sec:

List Randomizer

There were 16 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Lastrador
Betty Blue
Rysoph76
Samie
noname
Harold Barton
Buck Pete
Anywhichwayucan
sms1986
KingLuis
Titi Camara
Crimson_Tank
tubby
Klippity Klopp
Vishwa Atma
Eel Lobo

Timestamp: 2017-10-10 08:48:49 UTC

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 09:53:10 am »
Hmmm, dunno if that's good or bad