Author Topic: The Ultimate Music Draft - Live and Loud 1953 to Present Day - Discussion Thread  (Read 59547 times)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Re: The Ultimate Music Draft - Discussion Thread
« Reply #40 on: September 8, 2017, 04:10:09 pm »
This is also a very good point.

Are you in, mate?

I think maybe the dates could be moved back a little. At the moment we're endangering quite a few legends of jazz.
I haven't started to think about Jazz. I'd suggest most of the most important, influential Jazz musicians actually lived through into the late 50's early sixties and on...Billie died in 59, iirc...Trane in the late 60's. The earliest deaths I can think of would be Bix...cop out on the spelling  ;D...Johnson....I can't think of many influential players who died early.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #41 on: September 8, 2017, 04:11:40 pm »
Do we even need a date restriction? I don't listen to music from that far back myself but I don't see an issue with someone picking Mozart if they wanted to.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: September 8, 2017, 04:12:07 pm »
I've listened to a few albums, I like 1 song, just never grew on me.

Due to the fact she's fucking shite

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 8, 2017, 04:14:16 pm »

Are you in, mate?

I think maybe the dates could be moved back a little. At the moment we're endangering quite a few legends of jazz.

Go on then. I'll have a go
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 8, 2017, 04:20:09 pm »
Yeah good point about Bands changing lineps, evolving, going downhill etc

Like noname says I reckon we should be able to specify the era of our chosen band/artist. (if you wish to do so)

Ie; Floyd 63-67 or Floyd 67-80

AC/DC with Bon Scott or AC/DC with Brian Johnson. 

etc

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #45 on: September 8, 2017, 04:23:55 pm »
I haven't started to think about Jazz. I'd suggest most of the most important, influential Jazz musicians actually lived through into the late 50's early sixties and on...Billie died in 59, iirc...Trane in the late 60's. The earliest deaths I can think of would be Bix...cop out on the spelling  ;D...Johnson....I can't think of many influential players who died early.

Go on. You know you want to join the draft.

I'm not sure we really need the era restrictions anyway.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #46 on: September 8, 2017, 04:30:00 pm »
Finally, someone wants to join  :D

Yeah, but it's Pete. Be careful what you wish for.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #47 on: September 8, 2017, 04:32:04 pm »

Are you in, mate?

True but we're going to a festival, not trying to have a little nap.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #48 on: September 8, 2017, 04:34:34 pm »
True but we're going to a festival, not trying to have a little nap.

:D

I reckon I've got the most varied taste here. Jazz, rock, world, metal, reggae, punk, pop, rap - I have favourites in every genre. Except techno. Fuck that bleepy shit.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #49 on: September 8, 2017, 04:36:30 pm »

I reckon I've got the most varied taste here. Jazz, rock, world, metal, reggae, punk, pop, rap - I have favourites in every genre. Except techno. Fuck that bleepy shit.

I dunno mate, I got to concert in the park and it ranges from symphony music to hits of the 80's. I've been to some fantastic techno music festivals as well. Then again i've been to some shit ones.

Rock festivals tend to be great as well.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #50 on: September 8, 2017, 04:39:31 pm »

Sweet baby Jesus he's about to unleash the French rap on us, Mafia K-1 Fry represent ;D

I don't trust anyone who says they've got a 'taste' in music....  :-X

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #51 on: September 8, 2017, 04:48:29 pm »
I dunno mate, I got to concert in the park and it ranges from symphony music to hits of the 80's. I've been to some fantastic techno music festivals as well. Then again i've been to some shit ones.

Rock festivals tend to be great as well.

Rock & guitar music (not twee shit :D ) will always be my favourite genre. I've seen almost every (living) legend I've ever wanted to, though I won't mention names with the impending draft.

Sweet baby Jesus he's about to unleash the French rap on us, Mafia K-1 Fry represent ;D

I don't trust anyone who says they've got a 'taste' in music....  :-X

All my plans in tatters.

Now I just have to hope no-one picks Johnny Hallyday before I do.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #52 on: September 8, 2017, 04:48:45 pm »
I'm just going to nick the line up from one of those 90s Britpop revival type festivals and go with that.

I know what I like and I like what I know and if you don't like it you can do one!

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #53 on: September 8, 2017, 04:50:03 pm »
Rock & guitar music (not twee shit :D ) will always be my favourite genre. I've seen almost every legend I've ever wanted to, though I won't mention names with the impending draft.

All my plans in tatters.

Now I just have to hope no-one picks Johnny Hallyday before I do.

Bagsy MC Solar.

Was Scatman John French? Remember what hung a video in French lessons of all the dweeby kids in their bottle green cords going wild for the old fella!

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 8, 2017, 04:53:43 pm »
I know what I like and I like what I know and if you don't like it you can do one!

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #55 on: September 8, 2017, 05:14:15 pm »
Still need two more drafters to get up to 16. Come back, Dave....

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: September 8, 2017, 05:51:22 pm »
Agreed. For example Pink Floyd '67 and Pink Floyd '80's are effectively different bands.

See, this is why I'm picking The Fast Food Rockers. You wouldn't be getting this kind of issue with them.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #57 on: September 8, 2017, 06:07:28 pm »
Am I allowed to join in? Never done any of these draft things but this sounds like fun.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #58 on: September 8, 2017, 06:12:40 pm »
See, this is why I'm picking The Fast Food Rockers. You wouldn't be getting this kind of issue with them.

I always took you as more of a Right Said Fred kind of guy.

Am I allowed to join in? Never done any of these draft things but this sounds like fun.

Nice one, mate. You're in  :thumbup

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #59 on: September 8, 2017, 06:14:53 pm »
If I chose Pink Floyd (and I might) I would definitely have to qualify it with Syd's Floyd!

I think if we have caveats like that we simply specify 'em. I mean, you might say The Rolling Stones... if I go expecting 60s Stones, I might be miffed at 2010s Stones :)

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #60 on: September 8, 2017, 06:26:03 pm »

Nice one, mate. You're in  :thumbup

Much obliged.

Hope y'all are into melodic ragga jungle and the Spice Girls.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 8, 2017, 07:05:32 pm »
Just my final twopenneth on this, if there aren't some set parameters then the drafting process itself will be slightly pointless in my opinion. Dave will select essentially the line-up at Montreux 1982 with SRV headlining. Crosby Nick will have V Festival 1998 with Space headlining and I will have a complete mess of a festival, let's say Leeds 2002. No one will pick the same artists and we might just as well send our picks to Betty and be done with it.

And in that situation all that people will vote on, is which line-up contains their favourite bands and won't really be representative of a draft.

And thus to me, that's why silly categories are important. It then becomes quantifiable to a certain point. Let's say one of the categories is 10x platinum album singers. So I pick, let's say Dolly Parton and Dave Picks Aretha Franklin. At least then, we have a direct comparison both with advantages and disadvantages (no jokes about Dolly's knockers) but if you don't constrict it somewhat it's going to be an absolute nightmare.

How do you realistically compare Thelonius Monk with Outkast, Eminem with Buddy Holly, Rage Against the Machine with Loretta Lynn? The answer is you can't. So for me, we need a bit of direction in our picks so it isn't just a massive free for all.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 8, 2017, 07:08:07 pm »
I'm happy to not rush this too as it will almost certainly be a one-off. If it takes a bit of discussion and some heated to-ing and fro-ing then that's all the better for it in the end I reckon.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #63 on: September 8, 2017, 07:19:14 pm »
No Menswear No Party

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: September 8, 2017, 07:22:12 pm »
No Menswear No Party

Literally every stereotype mid-nineties band played at fucking V 98 apart from Menswear ;D

https://www.setlist.fm/festival/1998/v-festival-1998-53d6bfb1.html

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #65 on: September 8, 2017, 07:23:28 pm »
Haha, the ones that got away.

PS -97 looked better. :D
« Last Edit: September 8, 2017, 07:25:08 pm by Crosby Nick »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 8, 2017, 07:28:50 pm »
I'm a huge music fan myself, can barely even function without something playing in the background, but there are still huge swathes of bands I've never really listened to or found a way into. So this draft could make for some great listening and learning sessions.

Regardless of whatever rules are in place, this is what I'm looking forward too as well. People will pick The Beatles and Radiohead but I'm looking forward to discovering new bands and music that I haven't heard before. RAWK's quite excellent for that.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 8, 2017, 07:40:21 pm »
Haha, the ones that got away.

PS -97 looked better. :D

Fucking hell, absolute belter that. Not one dud in the lineup. And Kelli from Sneaker Pimps :lickin

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #68 on: September 8, 2017, 07:46:33 pm »
I'm happy to not rush this too as it will almost certainly be a one-off. If it takes a bit of discussion and some heated to-ing and fro-ing then that's all the better for it in the end I reckon.

Definitely happy to have some discussion before we go full throttle into this. Like you say, this draft will be a one off, so we don't want a total fuck up  :-X  Echoing Hazell above, it would be nice if it becomes as much a source for great lesser known artists as the big legends we all know. But at the same time, it's a draft, so I guess there's a competitive edge there.

Just my final twopenneth on this, if there aren't some set parameters then the drafting process itself will be slightly pointless in my opinion. Dave will select essentially the line-up at Montreux 1982 with SRV headlining. Crosby Nick will have V Festival 1998 with Space headlining and I will have a complete mess of a festival, let's say Leeds 2002. No one will pick the same artists and we might just as well send our picks to Betty and be done with it.

And in that situation all that people will vote on, is which line-up contains their favourite bands and won't really be representative of a draft.

And thus to me, that's why silly categories are important. It then becomes quantifiable to a certain point. Let's say one of the categories is 10x platinum album singers. So I pick, let's say Dolly Parton and Dave Picks Aretha Franklin. At least then, we have a direct comparison both with advantages and disadvantages (no jokes about Dolly's knockers) but if you don't constrict it somewhat it's going to be an absolute nightmare.

How do you realistically compare Thelonius Monk with Outkast, Eminem with Buddy Holly, Rage Against the Machine with Loretta Lynn? The answer is you can't. So for me, we need a bit of direction in our picks so it isn't just a massive free for all.

You're right about comparing musicians from different era/genres. It's almost completely impossible, but whatever we do it's always going to come down to personal preference. That's music for you. It's massively polarising. Unlike football drafting where you can break down the whole thing by thinking about how players would interact on the pitch and what weaknesses xxxxx has, you can't do that in music. They're just guys/girls on a stage doing their own thing. So even if we were to pick from clearly defined categories, how do we even decide who is better between Dolly and Aretha? (I think they're both shite :D ).

I think the best thing we can do to avoid it becoming samey is to have people pick their artists from at least 4 different decades.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 8, 2017, 08:09:29 pm »
My picks are gonna include bands /acts I think should get more exposure based on merit - yeah, I could choose the Beatles, but I have a few lesser known acts that are totally worth checking out. It'll be a balancing act to not completely vanish up my own arse, but a fun exercise in flexing the ol' musical taste :)

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #70 on: September 8, 2017, 08:25:49 pm »
My picks are gonna include bands /acts I think should get more exposure based on merit - yeah, I could choose the Beatles, but I have a few lesser known acts that are totally worth checking out. It'll be a balancing act to not completely vanish up my own arse, but a fun exercise in flexing the ol' musical taste :)

Good man, looking forward to seeing who you dig out for us  :)

Here's a left field idea - how about instead of vote at the end, which most people are sick of these days anyway, we form a judging panel of RAWK's ultimate elite music buffs (the Babuyagu's of music knowledge :D ) to decide who has the best line-up. I'm sure there are some guys on RAWK who'd love this role.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 8, 2017, 08:26:15 pm »

Definitely, will be looking to pick some of the world's biggest stadium rock bands like REO Speedwagon to artists that no one's ever heard of.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 8, 2017, 09:09:41 pm »
 ;D what happens to the perceived "worst" entry?

All Enya, All The Time!
Maybe with some Doop, Mr Blobby, and Insane Clown Posse to fill it out.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2017, 09:11:19 pm by ToneLa »

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #73 on: September 8, 2017, 09:33:24 pm »
;D what happens to the perceived "worst" entry?

All Enya, All The Time!
Maybe with some Doop, Mr Blobby, and Insane Clown Posse to fill it out.

The loser is forced to watch this band live for all eternity and don the hairstyle of the violinist -

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SATj-mM1kK0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SATj-mM1kK0</a>

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #74 on: September 9, 2017, 02:46:55 pm »
Definitely a good time for a draft  :-X

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 9, 2017, 02:53:43 pm »
These were the best days if you were ever on Rawk during the drafting heyday.  Take your mind off that shite.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #76 on: September 9, 2017, 02:55:49 pm »
Fucking right, can't start soon enough.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #77 on: September 9, 2017, 03:01:01 pm »
These were the best days if you were ever on Rawk during the drafting heyday.  Take your mind off that shite.

RAWK's very own Samaritans.

Fucking right, can't start soon enough.

Just one more drafter needed to get going.

So far -

Me
Hazell
Sheer Magnetism
Lastrador
Tubby
Lfsea
Nick
Chakan
KingLuis
Buck Pete
AndyMuller
ToneLa
Titi
noname
Djozer

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #78 on: September 9, 2017, 03:22:55 pm »
While we're waiting for someone to pop up, let's try to finalise the rules:

- 6 bands or solo artists each.
- Must be a female somewhere in one of your picks (hair metalers don't count).
- You must pick an artist or band from at least 4 different decades between 1920 and the present day.
- If a band has had multiple incarnations and member changes, please specify which version/era you're picking. For example, Floyd 67 vs Floyd 80. No other variants on that bands line-up can then be picked.
- No made up or parody bands - i.e. Spinal Tap.
- Where possible, please post a video or link to some live footage or a great track by your pick. It gives the draft a bit of added life.

Anything else to add? Speak now or forever hold your peace. I'm open to tweaking any rules or adding anything else in that we've missed.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: September 9, 2017, 03:45:28 pm »
Suggestion:

Given it's a festival line up, when you finalise your line up you have to nominate the order they appear in from early afternoon through to the headline act and you should very loosely pick bands to crescendo your gig to its epic conclusion.