Author Topic: Lionel Messi  (Read 922671 times)

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Re: Lionel Messi
« Reply #8640 on: March 7, 2020, 07:58:27 pm »

'438 - FCBarcelona's Lionel Messi has become the all-time top-scorer in the top five European leagues (438 goals in 474 appearances), surpassing Cristiano Ronaldo (437 in 540). Battle.'

^ https://twitter.com/OptaJose/status/1236372790418300940?s=20
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #8641 on: July 17, 2020, 12:11:49 pm »
We absolutely broke him as a player didn't we?

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8642 on: July 17, 2020, 12:17:51 pm »

Seen his little whinge about Barcelona this morning.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8643 on: July 17, 2020, 12:30:26 pm »

Doubt it to be honest.

I think time has just caught up with him. He 'only' has 28 goals this season. He hit 40+ in the previous 10. Barcelona have no strategy and I just don't think he has it in him to b the sole difference maker anymore. Losing at home to Osasuna, who would have thought it.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8644 on: July 17, 2020, 01:24:47 pm »
He's the least of their problems. But can't say i feel sorry for them, considering how they treated other clubs with no respect.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8645 on: July 17, 2020, 01:56:50 pm »
Said last year that wed seen the best of him and its downhill from here on in, got slaughtered for it. We 'll never see peak Messi again, penalties and free kicks will keep padding his numbers up but hes a shadow of his unplayable best.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8646 on: July 17, 2020, 02:05:55 pm »
He needs to start playing deeper now, his vision is still ridiculous and he could do that at a high level for another 2-3 seasons.

I picture him doing stuff like this with his vision  from a deeper position like another Barca great.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5XCi-I4wl1I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5XCi-I4wl1I</a>

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8647 on: July 17, 2020, 02:06:49 pm »
Said last year that wed seen the best of him and its downhill from here on in, got slaughtered for it. We 'll never see peak Messi again, penalties and free kicks will keep padding his numbers up but hes a shadow of his unplayable best.

You're not wrong, but it's also to be expected, he's 33 and it's time to start regressing. It would probably be less obvious if they managed his minutes properly and not forced him to carry the team week in, week out. It sounds wrong to say it given all that they won, but you get the feeling that Barca wasted a bit of his prime.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8648 on: July 17, 2020, 02:07:08 pm »
obviously we won't see his peak again but i think it's a bit unfair to point as if he is the problem of Barcelona.
It's just bad board management imo, terrible selections of big money transfers that don't suit how they play.

Pique, Busquets, Rakitic all have been showing decline signs last few years yet they kept buying likes of Dembele, Griezmann, Coutinho without having no idea how they will suit their style and tactics. Lenglet, Roberto, Vidal all far from Barcelona quality and Fati is just a kid who needs a few years before expecting things.

They were still doing ok this year until the pandemic break, they were leading La Liga comfortably and still in the CL. I don't know why that break hurt them a lot but looks like helped Real Madrid.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8649 on: July 17, 2020, 02:29:19 pm »
The more I hear about Messi and his influence at that club, it's clear he's a shithouse

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8650 on: July 17, 2020, 02:32:47 pm »
The more I hear about Messi and his influence at that club, it's clear he's a shithouse

Brought up surrounded by shithouses at a shithouse club. It was inevitable.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8651 on: July 17, 2020, 02:33:26 pm »
25 goals and 20 plus assists, yeah it's not as what he had before, but those are still elite numbers. He'd would have scored more imo had he not missed games due to injurie. This will be the first time in more than a decade that he's scored less than 30 goals

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8652 on: July 17, 2020, 04:24:00 pm »
Messi meh.
Give me Maradona anyday.

Online markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8653 on: July 17, 2020, 04:53:38 pm »

messi got more assists this yr than any other la liga season. Not bad when you consider he no longer has peak Suarez or neymar with him

In fact his 21 assists this yr could be an all time record in the top leagues.

He isn't the player he was 4 yrs ago, but it has been a very slow descent

« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 05:17:31 pm by markmywords »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #8654 on: July 17, 2020, 04:55:12 pm »
It’s not great that Real are the ones who have benefitted by fuck it, I fucking love how shit they’ve become. Especially because the tapping up and transfer of Coutinho can be seen as a turning point for both teams.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8655 on: July 17, 2020, 10:10:02 pm »
I have a lot of time for Messi, not that I know him like.  And for Barcelona for that matter.
When my daughter was very ill my mates contacted many football clubs to see if they could help for a fundraiser for an amazing cause, Barca sent a shit load of stuff. One of which was a signed framed Messi photo.
It was probably about as real as Jordan's tits, but it raised a lot of money.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #8656 on: July 18, 2020, 12:19:22 am »
25 goals and 20 plus assists, yeah it's not as what he had before, but those are still elite numbers. He'd would have scored more imo had he not missed games due to injurie. This will be the first time in more than a decade that he's scored less than 30 goals

The quality of that league though ...  :o. Can't take Messi's scoring numbers seriously until he does one season in the PL or Bundesliga. The latter is twice as challenging as La Liga and in the PL even relegation fodder is gonna give you a good game.

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8657 on: July 18, 2020, 12:25:49 am »
Honestly feel like Ronaldo has stolen his thunder a bit the last few years especially winning all those champions league scoring a million clutch goals and then Messi aura has dropped a bit at the same time , the gap is much closer and then Ronaldo also wins a national trophy with his country plus he is 35 and still scoring stupid numbers honestly think he will go till 40, Messi seems to lack the motivation and drive of a Ronaldo I'm not sure how long he will keep pushing himself he really should have moved to another league still playing in La Liga after all these year is just stale he needs a fresh challenge.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 12:27:34 am by Dynasty »

Offline Thats So Dimitar

• Kopite
« Reply #8658 on: July 18, 2020, 02:41:48 am »

Would you say that his decline has been painful to watch?
We beat Real Madrid

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8659 on: July 18, 2020, 02:53:39 am »
The quality of that league though ...  :o. Can't take Messi's scoring numbers seriously until he does one season in the PL or Bundesliga. The latter is twice as challenging as La Liga and in the PL even relegation fodder is gonna give you a good game.
Jesus Christ are you on a windup?

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8660 on: July 18, 2020, 03:32:54 am »
What’s with the Messi bashing? he’s still posting great numbers only to be let down by a shit supporting cast. This is one of the worst Barca teams in ages, yes he’s getting on a bit but he will comfortably walk in to any side in the world. 28 goals and 25 assists in all competitions is still a great return, especially when you consider he’s been injured and the enforced lay off due to covid.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #8661 on: July 18, 2020, 03:51:08 am »
With the COVID cases spiking again in Spain, Messi asked if Robbo would by any chance be available to fix his hair.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #8662 on: July 18, 2020, 03:52:08 am »
Ha-ha, you're having a laugh...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8663 on: July 18, 2020, 04:46:26 am »
Would you say that his decline has been painful to watch?

Not painful, just sad, as we may never see anyone as good for a long time.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8664 on: July 18, 2020, 04:58:56 am »
If Messi had Salah and Mane types around him he would still be Thanos, but he doesn't and Barcelona don't have the foresight to fix their awful recruitment policy

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8665 on: July 18, 2020, 05:40:06 am »
If Messi had Salah and Mane types around him he would still be Thanos, but he doesn't and Barcelona don't have the foresight to fix their awful recruitment policy

Messi needs help and Barca need some mentality monsters.

Milner and Origi for Messi. Done.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8666 on: July 18, 2020, 09:08:55 am »
Hard times falling from the undeniable best player in the world to probably still the best player in the world.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8667 on: July 18, 2020, 01:04:58 pm »
Honestly feel like Ronaldo has stolen his thunder a bit the last few years especially winning all those champions league scoring a million clutch goals and then Messi aura has dropped a bit at the same time , the gap is much closer and then Ronaldo also wins a national trophy with his country plus he is 35 and still scoring stupid numbers honestly think he will go till 40, Messi seems to lack the motivation and drive of a Ronaldo I'm not sure how long he will keep pushing himself he really should have moved to another league still playing in La Liga after all these year is just stale he needs a fresh challenge.

The difference is physical,  C.  Ronaldo still has that burst of acceleration,  and speed over distances. Messi already lost that a few years ago.  You can have all the hunger in the world,  Messi still isn't getting that acceleration back. A pleasure to have seen his peak from start to finish.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #8668 on: July 19, 2020, 06:25:11 pm »

'Lionel Messi makes it 21 assists for the season, overtaking Xavi to set a new La Liga record'

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1284880527443595264

25 league goals too. Not bad... (though it is his 11th consecutive season for doing so).

Apparently his 1000 is up today as well; 703 goals and 297 assists in 867 games (for Barcelona and Argentina):-

https://www.livesoccertv.com/news/34289/lionel-messi-breaks-xavis-la-liga-record-in-alaves-win/%22

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 09:13:58 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8669 on: July 19, 2020, 06:40:27 pm »
I mean it says something about the quality of the league if Barca are bang average and yet are 13 points ahead of 3rd and 4 behind Madrid.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #8670 on: July 19, 2020, 06:42:01 pm »
The Ev should pop a bid in for him.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #8671 on: July 19, 2020, 11:43:43 pm »

With the league season now over...

'Leo #Messi wins the 2019-20 Pichichi Trophy, the seventh of his career, a new, all-time @LaLiga record!' - https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona/status/1284955312253022214

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #8672 on: August 25, 2020, 07:15:26 pm »

Messi has handed in his notice to Barca
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #8673 on: August 25, 2020, 07:30:20 pm »
The difference is physical,  C.  Ronaldo still has that burst of acceleration,  and speed over distances. Messi already lost that a few years ago.  You can have all the hunger in the world,  Messi still isn't getting that acceleration back. A pleasure to have seen his peak from start to finish.

Messi's putting up the same underlying numbers he always has i.e. out of this world (>1 per 90 xg+xa)
He played slightly deeper and put up record assist numbers
There's really very little sign he's deteriorated much if at all from his peak

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8674 on: August 25, 2020, 08:29:39 pm »
Found this the other day https://www.reddit.com/r/TopRightMessi/. Pretty funny.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #8675 on: August 25, 2020, 08:30:07 pm »
Going out on top, what a showman.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8676 on: August 25, 2020, 08:31:46 pm »
Found this one particularly disgusting. Imagine being this much ahead of Silva and KDB in these categories. On top of scoring 40-50 goals a year.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8677 on: August 25, 2020, 08:55:56 pm »
Found this one particularly disgusting. Imagine being this much ahead of Silva and KDB in these categories. On top of scoring 40-50 goals a year.

Yeah, he's crazy good. Don't really understand the whole "they'll be better off without him" shouts. This may be true in American sports, where a bad season leads to a higher draft pick and it's best to start rebuilding once you're past your peak, but Barcelona really shouldn't be doing that. You have the best player ever playing at a very high level and all you did in Europe is get embarrassed more and more the past three seasons to the point that he just wants out... It really feels like they kind of wasted the last few years of his prime, sure they won a few titles, but I can't help but think they should've won a lot more.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8678 on: August 25, 2020, 09:19:37 pm »
He's one of the greatest. Still a great player too.

People will talk about him for decades. And then some will look at his goals/game and say it was way too easy to play in the early 2000s. People just didn't know how to defend and if Messi was playing now he'd not be that special anymore.

It will be a sad day when he quits and it's difficult to think he won't always play for Barca.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #8679 on: August 25, 2020, 09:29:57 pm »
Come to us Lionel

Robbo didn’t mean to slap you
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp