Author Topic: Lucas  (Read 143130 times)

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Lucas Leiva
« Reply #160 on: April 2, 2017, 09:10:03 am »
I tend to agree. The lad's been a good servant, but there comes a time when every player should be leaving. We can't let sentimentality rule our feelings. We need a younger, more mobile upgrade on him in my opinion.

He played well yesterday and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong to worry about him starting the derby. But at the same time, I think it helped he wasn't coming up against anyone with real pace, power and athleticism in midfield. That's were his weaknesses in midfield show. His legs won't allow him to keep up with players like that anymore.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #161 on: April 2, 2017, 09:15:03 am »
The lad was brilliant yesterday.....the "best" premier league CF was in his pocket ....well played lad :)
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: April 2, 2017, 09:19:12 am »
The lad was brilliant yesterday.....the "best" premier league CF was in his pocket ....well played lad :)

I think Lucas, Matip and Lovren all should take credit for handling Lukaku. They kept him isolated in a little pocket between defence and midfield brilliantly yesterday.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #163 on: April 2, 2017, 09:49:22 am »
I'd award him a new contract. Would have done a long time ago, actually.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: April 2, 2017, 09:50:33 am »
Was fantastic yesterday!

Well played Lucas!

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #165 on: April 2, 2017, 10:20:51 am »
We need another 6 or 7 now to add to the squad with Europe next season given the shocking lack of depth. If we let a few like Lucas, Sturridge and Moreno go then we'd need 9 or 10.

Just look at the bench against Bournemouth if Origi starts for Mane.

Give me four guys who will come into the starting 11 over nine or ten who yet again come in to pad the squad and make absolutely no difference what-so-ever.

Yesterday was the kind of game that he can shine in because the opposition team decides to make it a game of PASHUN and Lucas has it in spades. They really didn't have the quality to get behind Lucas which is then where the reality hits with regards to where he is physically and why he'll possibly be elsewhere next season. 

Personally I wouldn't start him in any other league game in that position from now till the end of the season because they'll be different kind of games.

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #166 on: April 2, 2017, 10:31:08 am »
Great watching him show up the best midfielder in the world as well (Gueye)

Offline imnofreak

• Anny Roader
« Reply #167 on: April 2, 2017, 10:31:33 am »
Was absolutely SUPERB. Great way to play his last ever derby. 10 years of service, boss.

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: April 2, 2017, 10:37:31 am »
The derby was tailor made for him yesterday and he played it perfectly. Well done Lucas!
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: April 2, 2017, 10:56:34 am »
He played really well yesterday but he should really be sold for next season. He has been a great professional and a very useful player for us but really his time is up.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: April 2, 2017, 11:19:46 am »
In the minority in thinking that we should keep him. Think he has a lot to offer us still.

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #171 on: April 2, 2017, 11:30:01 am »
Didn't really want him to start before the match myself, thinking his time was finally up. He's a player I should never doubt, great performance.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #172 on: April 2, 2017, 11:52:30 am »
There was one occasion yesterday where he was boxed in, but played himself out of it with a couple of deft turns

Then stroked a gem of a pass into midfield to Can

Don't know if any of you remember it? He played it in a way where Can could have ran onto it and split the center halves

As it turned out, I think Can was expecting the ball to feet so never made the run and we lost possession

If Can had the same vision and positional nous as Lucas does then he'd be a truly monstrous player

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: April 2, 2017, 01:55:09 pm »
For periods of the game yesterday he was the best player on the pitch as he just gobbled up any ball that came within 10 yards of him. Superb!!! If that's his last derby for us it would be a shame and there is a few clubs out there that will love to have his leadership. Honestly one of the top displays at DM for us this season, not bad for a lad whos legs are gone.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline HowlingFanTodd

• Boys Pen
  • Urbs in Horto
« Reply #174 on: April 2, 2017, 03:06:03 pm »
I can only echo the sentiments of the majority on here. He's been an amazing servant and more often than not when given the opportunity, he delivers performances that are consistently excellent. He was equally masterful in the 4-0 derby in April last year. Always in the right position, cutting out pass after pass and initiating new attacks. He had an assist in that match as well. I guess I understand why some people doubt him from time-to-time, but he only rarely disappoints. We could use his consistency in other areas of the pitch. There have been many times this season where I think he might have been better utilized but it's nice to see him getting the recognition he deserves. Great man, great player.

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #175 on: April 2, 2017, 03:18:54 pm »
Utterly love the lad :)
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Chief Brody

• Living the goosed life. Requires explanation. Works on the 110% scale.
  • Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #176 on: April 2, 2017, 03:21:17 pm »
Most underrated header of a ball I can think off.

Just doesn't lose aerial duels.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: April 2, 2017, 03:32:39 pm »
I tend to agree. The lad's been a good servant, but there comes a time when every player should be leaving. We can't let sentimentality rule our feelings. We need a younger, more mobile upgrade on him in my opinion.

It's not sentimentalism to keep him around. He isn't starting games unless absolutely necessary. For what you gain by replacing him with a young, more mobile player, you will lose in experience and possibly leadership. He is still only 30 and his game is based around his intelligence, positioning and discipline so I am sure he can last at least a couple more years as a last choice back up midfielder.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: April 2, 2017, 03:44:42 pm »
If he was happy to be a squad player, playing a handful of league and cup games next season, I'd keep him. IMO he can't play at yesterday's level week in, week out. With the added european fixtures, his knowledge, experience and professionalism would be a big asset to the squad.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: April 2, 2017, 06:17:47 pm »
Hopefully he plays well again in midweek. We'll need another good performance from him and the rest of the midfield with Hendo still out

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: April 2, 2017, 08:10:54 pm »
If he was happy to be a squad player, playing a handful of league and cup games next season, I'd keep him. IMO he can't play at yesterday's level week in, week out. With the added european fixtures, his knowledge, experience and professionalism would be a big asset to the squad.

I'm in your boat, captain. I guess if he was happy to stick around for the small number of games he'd get, I'd love to keep him. It's a big if though, and I'd imagine he may very well want a starting spot at a lower level club, which he fully deserves after the years he's given us. As many have said, Klopp doesn't seem too bothered either way, so my guess is he'll be on is way.

I'll miss the lad though. Great guy, great professional and was on his way to becoming a great player before that injury.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #181 on: April 2, 2017, 08:15:45 pm »
In the minority in thinking that we should keep him. Think he has a lot to offer us still.

It's a difficult one. He is a very good and under-rated player. However I just think that he is too slow for the EPL. Having said that, he does everything you could ask of him. He's not in the very top bracket but he's a very versatile player. It's a pity that some fans can't see that.
#JFT97

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #182 on: April 2, 2017, 08:58:24 pm »
He's been a squad player for quite some time already.
I think he'll be gone, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's offered a new contract.

He has started PL games for five (very) different managers - quite an achievement!

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: April 2, 2017, 09:12:27 pm »
He had a good game yesterday but it's mad that after one good game people are advocating keeping him around. The lad can barely run and would get burned for pace against even the most average players in the league. For every good game in midfield he's had in the past 12 months he's had another 2 poor ones, and whilst he can still do a (very specific) job against very specific teams, ultimately, he should have been upgraded upon years ago.

Top professional, great bloke, but if we have any ambition whatsoever we need far better, even in a back up role. I do hope he goes on to enjoy the twilight of his career as a starter somewhere.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #184 on: April 2, 2017, 10:54:00 pm »
Quality performance from lucas. He really is very dominant in the air, i don't think i've appreciated that side of his game enough over the years.
As people have mentioned, having strong runners ahead/either side of him means he can be very effective. His brain makes up for the pace he's lost anyway.
I really don't wanna see our only true no.6 leave this summer, unless we get a great replacement, but even then i would love to see him in the squad and coming in for particular games like yesterday.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #185 on: April 2, 2017, 11:14:25 pm »
If he wants to stay, keeping him is a no-brainer I reckon. He's the only link left from the Rafa era, he has great experience (especially in Europe), he's a fantastic character to have around the team, dedicated professional, good friends with the other Brazilians, and a decent option coming off the bench.

If we're playing in the Champions League next season we will need a bigger squad than what we have now. Keeping Lucas would be an easy choice in my view.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #186 on: April 3, 2017, 02:17:42 am »
With all the extra games I expect us to play next year, he'd be a perfect player to have as rotation for the midfield and to come on late in games we need to sure up the defense.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: April 3, 2017, 10:19:00 am »
Not much point harping on about it as time will tell if Lucas / Klopp thinks there is a future at Liverpool but struggling to imagine we will see the 5th choice CM in future derbies dictating the game as much as Lucas did Saturday. You never know as we may get lucky as the grass is usually greener on the other side 8)
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #188 on: April 3, 2017, 10:21:57 am »
Much rather have him in the squad than Klavan

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: April 3, 2017, 10:23:18 am »

Chalk it down.
Epic username by the way.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: April 3, 2017, 10:24:12 am »
If he wants to stay, keeping him is a no-brainer I reckon. He's the only link left from the Rafa era, he has great experience (especially in Europe), he's a fantastic character to have around the team, dedicated professional, good friends with the other Brazilians, and a decent option coming off the bench.

If we're playing in the Champions League next season we will need a bigger squad than what we have now. Keeping Lucas would be an easy choice in my view.

Not many actual football compliments in there though for such a no brainer! "He's a nice friend" "Rafa".  ;D Come on mate, some of those reasons are laughable.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #191 on: April 3, 2017, 10:29:53 am »
Not many actual football compliments in there though for such a no brainer! "He's a nice friend" "Rafa".  ;D Come on mate, some of those reasons are laughable.

Agreed but I think there are football reasons to keep Lucas. Given Matip and Lovren's fitness issues, we need another top centre half, which means one of Lucas or Klavan probably need to make way. Lucas provides us the option of an experienced screening midfielder when required and they've both been equally inconsistent at centre back so it's a complete no-brainer who to sell of the two.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: April 3, 2017, 10:34:11 am »
Absolutely love the fella. Always will. Hasn't deserved even half the stick he's received throughout his career.

Online PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #193 on: April 3, 2017, 10:34:37 am »
Great performance today.

Maybe I'm a few stella's worse off here and viewing things with rose tinted glasses but just more of a big thank-you to lucas, his application and dedication to LFC and its likely to be his last derby then a great way to go about it. He's had his ups and downs but I think of him as a loyal servant who's always tried his best to be one with the club and city. Proper scouser.

Cheers Lucas.

Great post, I have always loved Lucas, for a variety of reasons but generally you can tell that he cares, not just about the football but also the club and the lads within it.

He deserves and hope he gets a testimonial when his time with us is up.

He is a great figure, humble and you can see he is supportive of the lads, helped the Brasilians and the kids settle into the first team, always does his job and doesn't question his place or playing time within the team and is around the squad during a variety of managers, it's clear he's a true professional and he genuinely has passion when he puts on the red shirt.

Also this is an important point:

Top Lad and he was solid in the derby!
« Last Edit: April 3, 2017, 10:41:31 am by PhilV »

Offline elliotsmith101

• Main Stander
« Reply #194 on: April 3, 2017, 10:48:32 am »
I think ultimately it will be more his decision if he leaves, to spend the latter part of his career playing regular football if he can. However at a time where we blatantly need to increase the depth in our squad, particularly short of numbers in central midfield I'd happily keep him around if he wants to stay next season. I'd rather sell Kev Stewart who we know isn't good enough.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: April 3, 2017, 11:03:10 am »
Personally think it would be foolish to sell a player of his experience when there's a decent chance we'll have cl football next season. Granted, he won't be a starter but he still has a lot to offer imo. Obviously if he has his heart set on leaving in pursuit if regular football that's a different matter.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #196 on: April 3, 2017, 11:03:11 am »

You are obviously not aware of team dynamics in groups. And yes, I mentioned football reasons too. Happy to have made you laugh.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: April 3, 2017, 11:19:31 am »
Dare I say it but I think his position allowed us to play more naturally.

He gave protection to the two centre halves which allowed our full backs to flourish and pushed Gini and Emre forward.

Let the defensive midfielder debate continue!

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #198 on: April 3, 2017, 11:38:33 am »
Excellent game on the weekend. Pleased for him and happy that his contribution help bring 3 points home against those yard dogs
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #199 on: April 3, 2017, 11:43:45 am »
Much rather have him in the squad than Klavan

:o

He's been a solid player this season in the role as a 3rd/4th choice centre half.  So much better than the likes of skrtel.