Author Topic: Ben Woodburn.  (Read 131370 times)

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ben Woodburn.
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2016, 11:27:47 pm »
Congratulations lad! :)

Wish it was me

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2016, 11:28:24 pm »
great moment for the kid but in this day and age to become top-class with this type of physique you have to have incredible technique

right now I think it is more likely than not that he won't get there. Hopefully I'm wrong.

It's 0-0 and I said to the missus, 'don't think he should be putting a 17 year old on unless he wants us out the competition.' She says, 'so you know more about football then Jurgen Klopp?' That put me in my place.

If Jurgen thinks he's good enough, he's good enough.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2016, 11:28:30 pm »
Hopefully the first of many
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Mdrummey

• Boys Pen
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2016, 11:32:41 pm »
Congrats. Very excited for him! Great story!

The comments on his physique are ridiculous. Take a look at Sterling on his debut Vs gladbach. Not exactly a big guy.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2016, 11:38:59 pm »
'The Era' begins and we are all witnesses

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2016, 11:39:09 pm »
ah throwback to the days when you would get stoned to death if you mentioned that there was a chance Ibe wouldn't be the best player in the UK by 2016

I'm sorry my friend, I forgot that EVERY youth player Klopp uses will become a superstar

I quite clearly didn't say that though did I. I was taking the piss out of you for making a snap judgement about the lads prospects based purely on his physical appearance aged 17, compared to what Klopp, who sees him play and train regularly, has had to say about him.

But it's okay, you can write the lad off after 20 minutes of first team football and if he does fail you can come back to tell everyone you were right and we'll all give you a round of applause. Of course if the lad is any good you'll be dead pleased you were wrong. It's win-win being a pessimistic cynical bastard, isn't it?.... Except for the not enjoying anything bit.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2016, 11:40:24 pm »
bUT HE DOES NOT HAVE A COOL NAME SO HE WONT MAKE IT.

Errrrr how the fuck is Benny Bonfire not cool ??!!

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2016, 11:42:09 pm »
Club will need to have a long hard discussions on whether we should be pursuing wide-forwards in January or summer as it could potentially block the pathway for Ben and Ojo. Ideally we should maybe consider a short-term solution in that position to give these guys another year before they are truly ready to take on the mantle.

Would you really miss out on Pulisic and potentially leave a hole in the squad in January with Mane out, and risk dropping valuable points towards a title challenge, to clear a pathway for Woodburn and Ojo?

I mean, they're both very talented players to be sure, but if they're going to have a path clear, they need to actually be good enough to step up and deliver if called upon.

Online DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2016, 11:42:44 pm »
ah throwback to the days when you would get stoned to death if you mentioned that there was a chance Ibe wouldn't be the best player in the UK by 2016

I'm sorry my friend, I forgot that EVERY youth player Klopp uses will become a superstar

The opinion of most of us who actually watch the youth sides was that Ibe was always going to struggle to make it with us, his lack of a brain was evident even at U18 level.

Woodburn is on a different level to Ibe.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2016, 11:48:41 pm »
Would you really miss out on Pulisic and potentially leave a hole in the squad in January with Mane out, and risk dropping valuable points towards a title challenge, to clear a pathway for Woodburn and Ojo?

I mean, they're both very talented players to be sure, but if they're going to have a path clear, they need to actually be good enough to step up and deliver if called upon.

The idea that we shouldn't buy talented players because we already have talented players is one of the weirder LFC fan base arguments that does the rounds these days

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2016, 11:53:42 pm »

I think with all the experience Klopp had in his career dealing with young talents who went on to become world-class players I imagine he'll have a really good gut feeling on whether Ben and Ojo are worthy of us believing in them at the expense of some super young talents available in the market. In some cases it doesn't take long like with Ibe where pretty early Klopp figured out he doesn't have what it takes to be our player. It's an extremely difficult situation to balance so it will be interesting to see how Klopp deals with it over the next year or so.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2016, 12:15:24 am »

If that's your mindset you should be backing going for a much more established player than Pulisic. Spend the big bucks on Reus if you want to go all out for that title challenge because Pulisic is just a teenager who needs opportunities to progress not a big time difference maker.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2016, 12:18:26 am »
Made up for the lad.

It was a pleasure to witness him break the record.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2016, 12:24:10 am »
Only a year younger than Pulisic who's being touted at Ł20m.

i'm pretty sure he is already worth over 30m in this market.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2016, 12:24:44 am »

Everyone knows most youth players won't make it at Liverpool.

There's every chance Woodburn won't make it at Liverpool. Others have promised but failed - Pacheco, Suso, Ibe, Nemeth, Insua.. the list is endless. That doesn't mean we should stop getting excited about youth prospects. Especially when they're the best one we have right now, and doubly so when he's just become the club's youngest ever goalscorer.

Everyone knows most kids don't make it, and maybe Woodburn won't either. You may think you're being level-headed or realistic, but actually, everyone knows deep down that the chances of a promising youth player making it are not high. You're not adding value with your rapier-sharp analysis. You're just tone deaf and bereft of emotional intelligence.

Offline Armless Joe Gambino

• Will stone fred at the drop of a hat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2016, 12:33:24 am »

In my day everbody drank and smoked and nobody took drugs. . . . . .

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2016, 12:34:45 am »
Happy for him. Nice way to start his career.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2016, 12:36:03 am »

See what it means to the boy. Hope he makes it to the very top.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2016, 12:45:15 am »
If that's your mindset you should be backing going for a much more established player than Pulisic. Spend the big bucks on Reus if you want to go all out for that title challenge because Pulisic is just a teenager who needs opportunities to progress not a big time difference maker.

Well no, because we're not linked with Reus. We're linked with Pulisic. And "teenagers who need opportunities to progress" to me describes Ojo and Woodburn. Pulisic is a teenager, but he has 2 goals and 4 assists in 9 games this season for one of Europe's top clubs. To me that means he's reliably a level above Woodburn and Ojo currently. That's not to say Woodburn and Ojo are can't be as good quickly, but we haven't seen them deliver consistently. We have with Pulisic.

Online DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2016, 12:49:33 am »
The obvious answer is to have both of them.

Pulisic often plays from the right, Woodburn from the left.

Having both of them on our books is FM wet dream stuff.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2016, 12:51:26 am »
Great moment. No matter what happens now he'll always have that!

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2016, 01:21:40 am »
Well no, because we're not linked with Reus. We're linked with Pulisic. And "teenagers who need opportunities to progress" to me describes Ojo and Woodburn. Pulisic is a teenager, but he has 2 goals and 4 assists in 9 games this season for one of Europe's top clubs. To me that means he's reliably a level above Woodburn and Ojo currently. That's not to say Woodburn and Ojo are can't be as good quickly, but we haven't seen them deliver consistently. We have with Pulisic.

What? You said you wanted a player for a title push, Pulisic is not that player. You've identified a round hole and are trying to put a square peg through it just because we're being linked with that square peg. And exactly right that sounds like Ojo and Woodburn, that was my intention. He is like Ojo and Woodburn. Stats from a nine game sample size is no demonstration of delivering consistently, to think so is laughable.

Offline G-Dragon

• Kemlynite
  • OH, so you wanna argue? BRING IT. Capslock ON!
« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2016, 01:33:09 am »
Agreed. It is laughable people think Pulisic is good enough to push us for that title. He is a good young player but he is not even 50% the player Coutinho, Firmino and Mane is. He just had has little more opportunity due to the team he plays for atm (Look where Dortmund are in the bundesliga table). Osumane Dembele is a much much better player than Pulisic too.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2016, 01:35:15 am »
What? You said you wanted a player for a title push, Pulisic is not that player. You've identified a round hole and are trying to put a square peg through it just because we're being linked with that square peg. And exactly right that sounds like Ojo and Woodburn, that was my intention. He is like Ojo and Woodburn. Stats from a nine game sample size is no demonstration of delivering consistently, to think so is laughable.

I see Pulisic as a much more complete product than Ojo or Woodburn. I think you'd have to have some bright red lenses to put them in the same category as Pulisic at this stage. And don't get me wrong, I rate Ojo and Woodburn. I just rate Pulisic higher, at this stage.

It's not complicated. One is a guy that the second best team in Germany is regularly relying on to win games, and the other two are players that have played the odd game for us and delivered some promising/decent performances. To me, that means Pulisic is a guy we could far more easily rely on fill a hole in our squad while Mane is away and maintain our level of performance, than Woodburn or Ojo.

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2016, 01:35:22 am »
Well Done that young man!!!!

Truthfully he didn't do much during the match as most of the play by that time was going down the right side. But he was in the right place at the right time for Wijnaldum to pass it to him for his first (hopefully of many) goal for LFC.

Hope his career is a long and successful one with us

YNWA

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2016, 01:37:43 am »
Agreed. It is laughable people think Pulisic is good enough to push us for that title. He is a good young player but he is not even 50% the player Coutinho, Firmino and Mane is. He just had has little more opportunity due to the team he plays for atm (Look where Dortmund are in the bundesliga table). Osumane Dembele is a much much better player than Pulisic too.

So's Douglas Costa. So's Kingsley Coman. So's Neymar. You know what the difference is? Pulisic is a very promising player that we're linked with. The other three are not. We don't necessarily need a complete world beater, but we do need a player who'll slot into the team and keep up the good team performances. I think Pulisic is that, AND he has huge potential.

Anyway, this is a thread about Woodburn, so let's focus on that. It's very exciting to see how far he's come along and I think he'll get plenty more opportunities throughout the remainder of the season to continue to set markers.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2016, 01:40:01 am »
He reminds me of another Welshman that scored a shit-tonne of goals for us, if he's half as good as him he'll be ace. Well done Ben.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2016, 01:41:52 am »
F**k Pulisic Ben Woodburn is better. ;D

What a talent.

Offline Chakri

• Main Stander
« Reply #148 on: November 30, 2016, 02:40:16 am »
Congrats Ben

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2016, 03:41:33 am »
Made up for the lad. He didn't even think about it, just put it top bin. Sign of a goalscorer that.

Looking very promising for him.
YWNA

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #150 on: November 30, 2016, 03:42:14 am »
He's barely 17! This is massive for Liverpool. Usually these types of players breakthrough in small clubs and are bought when they reach the age of 18,19,20,21. We can have something really special on our hands, but we need to stay calm and patient. Ben Woodburn doesn't need the pressure of being compared to the likes of Owen and any others that had a similar route to the big time.
Seen us win everything

Offline Messiah

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #151 on: November 30, 2016, 03:45:25 am »
Woodburn - a goal every 24 minutes.
Messi - a goal every 68 minutes.

I'm not saying anything.  ;D
Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry.

Offline G-Dragon

• Kemlynite
  • OH, so you wanna argue? BRING IT. Capslock ON!
« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2016, 03:47:09 am »
So's Douglas Costa. So's Kingsley Coman. So's Neymar. You know what the difference is? Pulisic is a very promising player that we're linked with. The other three are not. We don't necessarily need a complete world beater, but we do need a player who'll slot into the team and keep up the good team performances. I think Pulisic is that, AND he has huge potential.

Anyway, this is a thread about Woodburn, so let's focus on that. It's very exciting to see how far he's come along and I think he'll get plenty more opportunities throughout the remainder of the season to continue to set markers.

You are not making sense now. Why bring in older and much more experienced players into this? No one has said we need to sign Messi to push for the title. Pulisic isn't even a starter for a team who are 7th in Bundesliga atm. And somehow he is going to slot right into our team which is 2nd in the premier league and keep the good performance level? Lets not talk about Pulisic like he is Dortmund's Aubameyang/Reus.

The point is  we shouldn't sign just another "promising" talent when we already have two similar players with "promising" talent at our disposal. Two players who will need to be involved with the first team in the coming seasons. If your defense to the argument is X player being linked while others not then surely Julian Brandt is a better option? Linked with us and miles better than Pulisic.

Anyway lets agree to disagree. Personally, can't wait to see how Woodburn develops under Klopp.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2016, 03:57:54 am »
Only on RAWK, we have a thread started about a kid who just became the youngest goal scorer in our history and 50% is replies to some numpty who wants to take this occasion as the time to declare he'll never make it or pissing matches about an American teenager who plays in Germany.
History just happened people. Enjoy it for fucks sake...
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline MerseyMania

• Defiled for fantasticism.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2016, 04:44:54 am »
Well done Ben..

Offline ThisIsMickey

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2016, 04:46:07 am »
Made up for the lad. First of many Ben!
"100% of the shots you don't take don't go in"

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2016, 05:23:23 am »
Well done lad... Hopefully more to come at this club.
I am glad that medal thief is not our youngest goal scorer anymore
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2016, 06:32:13 am »
Not seen much of him, as usual for youth players I (sometimes foolishly) base my opinion on those on RAWK

Chuffed to bits for him. A 'god' like finish. Hopefully he gets a few more chances this season To impress and show us alllwhat he can do!

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #158 on: November 30, 2016, 06:45:51 am »
Took his goal well, the look on his face! Fantastic.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: November 30, 2016, 07:10:01 am »
Really hope his teachers let him off for his homework this evening.  Be terrible for the lad if he had to go home and write an essay on Keats's poetry or some shit. 

Everyone can always do with more Keats in their lives.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke