Author Topic: Uncle Kolo  (Read 53871 times)

Online KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
Uncle Kolo
« on: April 25, 2016, 09:32:39 am »
All other Kolo threads seem locked so thought I'd start another one as it's likely he'll figure more than expected at season end what with the uncertainty over Sakho.

Not sure he'll be here next season or not. On the one hand we have Matip arriving, Gomez recovering and Kolo's 35 years old. On the other hand, he still seems quite capable of doing a job for us when called for and seems a great influence on the team. When we need a third choice centre back he seems to be fighting for a place with Lucas - with Martin further down the pecking order and Caulker no where.

Read this on the BBC from Jürgen: -

"Kolo is a very, very important player for us, even when he doesn't play,"

"He's one of the most impressive people I have met, but now is not the right time to speak about Kolo's future."

"When I came here Kolo had a few problems injury wise but now it looks completely different and that's good,"

"How I have heard things is that a big part of Kolo's future is at Liverpool. So I'd say everything is ok."

I guess if this season has taught us anything it's that you can never have too many centre-backs.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
Re: Uncle Kolo
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 09:47:49 am »
That last sentence is interesting.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 09:59:34 am »
Wouldn't surprise me if a coaching role could be in the offing....but still registered as a player too.

He's got an infectious character, seems to really add to the atmosphere around the club, and Klopp seems to love that attitude.

Hope he stays in some capacity.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 10:04:23 am »
Would love him to stick around, had my doubts about him getting a new deal but happy to admit he's proven me wrong.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 11:14:08 am »
My second favourite player!  I love his dignity,  how he accepts when he's not in the squad but then comes in whenever needed and never lets anyone down.  It's not easy to do that,  hardly play and then come back in right up to speed,  yet Kolo does it really well.  He's a good person and a great wise old head in the squad.  he's a keeper for me and I don't mean 'keeper!!!
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 11:17:30 am »
Love Kolo. Such a passionate player and seems to be a great figure to have in and around the team.

I think he's a little underrated personally, although he had his troubles previously with some real big mistakes he now looks a lot more solid and he's a great option to have at back up. With Sakho out, Toure is the player i would use in his absence.

I really hope he stays, his experience is vital to our squad and he sitll has a lot to offer

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 11:21:10 am »
Probably shouldn't have given Sakho access to his wife's medicine cabinet though  :-X :-X

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 11:23:04 am »
My second favourite player! 

Who's ya first?
JFT 96

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 11:26:27 am »
Love Kolo. Such a passionate player and seems to be a great figure to have in and around the team.

I think he's a little underrated personally, although he had his troubles previously with some real big mistakes he now looks a lot more solid and he's a great option to have at back up. With Sakho out, Toure is the player i would use in his absence.

I really hope he stays, his experience is vital to our squad and he sitll has a lot to offer

We concede more goals with Toure in the side than any other CB, including Skrtel. I get that people love his attitude and enthusiasm, but he's a pretty poor defender now.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 11:38:25 am »

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 11:55:42 am »
We concede more goals with Toure in the side than any other CB, including Skrtel. I get that people love his attitude and enthusiasm, but he's a pretty poor defender now.

Thats just a b/s stat though isn't,  as is any stat pinned on one player.  Kolo wasn't at fault for either goal against Newcastle,  but by your reasoning he's our worst CB.  We defend as a team,  and unless one player makes an actual error that directly leads to a goal,  as Mignolet did,  it's not right to blame just one player. 
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 12:16:34 pm »
Great character, must be brilliant having him around the squad in training.
His experience is a nice thing to have.

Not sure next season I would have him in my squad of available centre backs, but on the coaching staff hopefully.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 12:33:57 pm »
I admit I haven't looked into this (as in, found where Pearce actually says it) but this thread being posted today reminded me that I'd seen this last week:

Kolo Toure is set to leave when his contract expires this summer. #lfc (James Pearce)

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/723948011236265984

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 04:52:34 pm »
If he's interested in going into coaching then I think it'd be the smart move to offer him another 12 month contract as our 5th choice CB and the opportunity to start/continue his badges. Of course he might want to go elsewhere and play more regularly, but he should at least have the choice. I'd be looking to move both Skrtel and Ilori on before him (plus Wisdom, if we're counting him as a CB still).

Offline Zapata316

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 06:04:29 pm »
Could be perfect for Klopp's coaching team.  Players seem to love him, has a personality that I think Klopp loves, has had success during his career so that he will also have the respect of the players.  The last (and most vital point) is, can he coach?  If he can, he'd be a great addition to the backroom staff.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 06:09:32 pm »
Think he'll get a part-player/coaching role myself.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 06:11:48 pm »
Would like to see him in some sort of coaching job at the club once he retires.

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 07:31:05 pm »
He would make a good addition to the coaching staff. Lots of experience at playing at this level and he really seems to have taken to working under Klopp and at Liverpool too. I do worry though if he can do the job for Thursday (assuming he plays). Hope I'm proved wrong.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 08:20:16 pm »
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 08:32:31 pm »
I like him.  His attitude seems to be so different from his brother.  Kolo seems to get us and what LFC is about and he has clearly enjoyed his time with us.  I am sure he can offer us something on the coaching side when he retires so I hope he chooses to stick around.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 09:12:11 pm »
Completely agree with the above post.  He really does seem to get us. Probably why he's become a cult hero within such a short time at the club. It would be great if he were to stay on in some capacity at the club once his contract is up

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 09:18:11 pm »
There is an immense amount of experience in there: he's won the PL, he's been at the highest level of the game, he's an Invincible, and has worked with some of the best players and coaches in the game. You can teach youngsters all the theory you like, but there's no experience for someone who's been there and worn the fucking t shirt. He gets the club, he's got the fans on his side, he's clearly a strong influence in the dressing room. Sounds like a perfect match for me, I'd be getting him front and centre of the development of our young centre backs.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 10:17:36 pm »
I like the idea of keeping him on as part of the backroom staff.  You'd think he'd be a big asset with the younger players like Joe Gomez ; he's played at the highest level, been a part of successful trophy-winning squad, has a great personality and would be more than happy to put an arm around someone's shoulder when they need it.  If coaching is something interests him then Liverpool would be a good place for him to make that transition from playing, he seems to have really taken to the club and come to love and the staff, squad and supporters love him.

A few days ago I didn't think he'd be staying on here as a player beyond the end of the season but obviously things have changed quite drastically now.  I'd have been happy going into next season with Sakho, Lovren, Matip and Gomez with Toure staying on as experienced cover if he fancied it but it doesn't look like we'll have all of those four available now so maybe there's an opportunity for him to play a more prominent role than he might have. 

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 6, 2016, 07:39:49 am »
Kolo Toure. Always there when you need him. I just love the man.  :)

The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 6, 2016, 07:55:08 am »
Toure has been great this season. Stepped in whenever needed and is happy to sit on the bench as fourth choice. Hoping we keep him on another year because he still has it.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #25 on: May 6, 2016, 07:55:14 am »
The way he went to every single player after the 3rd one went in, pointing to his head as if to say 'keep your heads'.

Also when he danced around the ball while he was shepherding it out for a goal kick.

With Sakho looking at a ban there is no way we should be letting Kolo go

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 6, 2016, 08:26:48 am »
he has been solid and reliable, nevermind the age... he should stay at least for one more season.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #27 on: May 6, 2016, 08:27:33 am »
it's impossible not to love this man
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline steampie

• Kopite
  • Truth yes, now Justice.
« Reply #28 on: May 6, 2016, 08:37:37 am »
Kolo man-marking the keeper early on in the game :D
I think [naming your daughter] Fuckoffyoubitterblueshitebastards Becker has a nice ring to it.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #29 on: May 6, 2016, 08:45:19 am »
From Dion Fanning:

Klopp, strangely, was the calmest man in the ground, while later Kolo Toure became so fervent while telling his team-mates to relax that Emre Can had to tell him quietly to return to his position.
  :D

Kolo man-marking the keeper early on in the game :D

Deserves a banner on the Kop just for that alone.  Gegenpressing the fuck out of the keeper.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 6, 2016, 08:46:58 am »
He's been brilliant. Well in Kolo.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #31 on: May 6, 2016, 08:47:09 am »
think we should give him another year

no harm having him around at all
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Zapata316

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #32 on: May 6, 2016, 08:48:33 am »

Offline imnofreak

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: May 6, 2016, 09:19:53 am »
Gegenpressing the fuck out of the keeper.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #34 on: May 6, 2016, 09:21:10 am »

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 6, 2016, 09:26:12 am »
He was brillant. You can see with some of the things he does he so badly wants to win. Wonderful free signing.

Online Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #36 on: May 6, 2016, 09:32:34 am »
He is a winner. We haven't brought enough of those into our squad. Wish he was a few years younger.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 6, 2016, 09:34:21 am »
Give him another year.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 6, 2016, 09:36:12 am »
Really hope he stays in some capacity.

What more can you ask for from a back up?

He accepts his role, he knows he probably couldn't play as often as he used to.

But when he gets his chance he gives the hunger and determination of a young lad.

Love the fella!

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 6, 2016, 10:20:16 am »
He's brilliant. He does the odd stupid thing. But his experience is quite crucial at times.

Player coach next season?
« Last Edit: May 6, 2016, 10:27:59 am by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker