Author Topic: Mindhunter (Netflix)  (Read 15795 times)

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Mindhunter (Netflix)
« on: October 17, 2017, 08:58:43 am »
Anyone watching this? 5 episodes in and really enjoying. Great soundtrack too.

Set in 1977 — in the early days of criminal psychology and criminal profiling at the Federal Bureau of Investigation — Mindhunter revolves around FBI agents Holden Ford (Jonathan Groff) and Bill Tench (Holt McCallany), who interview imprisoned serial killers in order to understand how such criminals think and apply this knowledge to solving ongoing cases.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Mindhunter (Netflix)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 09:20:14 am »
Yes - really good so far. The interviews with Kemper are fascinating. 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 12:09:16 pm »

My favourite parts

The relationship stuff is a bit dull for me

The dialogue when they first met in episode 1 was fkin awful but I have 3 left an am loving it
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 12:21:43 pm »
Finished it on Sunday and enjoyed it.

Season 2 has been green lit already which is good.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 12:35:24 pm »
My favourite parts

The relationship stuff is a bit dull for me

The dialogue when they first met in episode 1 was fkin awful but I have 3 left an am loving it

I know what you mean - it was a bit clunky but I just viewed it as a way to get him into a relationship and exposed to liberal views. It got it out of the way quickly and allowed us to move onto the important stuff.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline aceface9

• Main Stander
  • Make Us Dream
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 03:44:21 pm »
Thought episode 1 was slow and somewhat boring but necessary to build characters.
Anyone else bothered by Bill’s constant smoking?  Seems a tad excessive but it’s what they did back then.
"I wouldnt grace my one remaining eye with that inbred, bunch of silver spoon fed c*nts, smarmy,snobby , self important bunch of fucking wankers if my life depended on it. Fuck the wankers. There is a wedding down at St Faiths, that means more to me than these pricks. Get to fuck."
Sir Harvest Fields

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 03:47:27 pm »
Thought episode 1 was slow and somewhat boring but necessary to build characters.
Anyone else bothered by Bill’s constant smoking?  Seems a tad excessive but it’s what they did back then.

It sets the period - smoking on the plane seems so weird now.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline aceface9

• Main Stander
  • Make Us Dream
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 03:49:42 pm »
It sets the period - smoking on the plane seems so weird now.

I agree it just seemed to go above and beyond setting the period to me. Also maybe because he was the only one smoking is why it stuck out to me.
"I wouldnt grace my one remaining eye with that inbred, bunch of silver spoon fed c*nts, smarmy,snobby , self important bunch of fucking wankers if my life depended on it. Fuck the wankers. There is a wedding down at St Faiths, that means more to me than these pricks. Get to fuck."
Sir Harvest Fields

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 03:55:49 pm »
4 episodes in and I think its great. It looks amazing as you'd expect with Fincher's involvement and the actors in it are really impressive. It's much better then I anticipated it would be.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 04:37:19 pm »
It's my new favourite show. Acting is on different planet.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 10:34:22 pm »

Oh Pizza!

Incredible.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 10:36:03 pm »
Have to say all the actors playing Serial Killers are nailing it, finished it Sunday and loved it, roll on S2 and more after that. Not like they have a shortage of storylines now is it.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 04:47:42 pm »
There's a surprising amount of humour in this show. Proper cracked up at the bit where Holden was going over the "deviant" words  ;D.

Also, the interplay between Shepard, Holden and Bill is great. Feels really natural.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 05:12:40 pm »
Have to say all the actors playing Serial Killers are nailing it, finished it Sunday and loved it, roll on S2 and more after that. Not like they have a shortage of storylines now is it.
The first one they interview is fantastic.

The actor nailed those creepy  scary AF mannerisms to a tee.

The bit with the pet bird shook me a little bit,wasn't expecting that.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 10:58:01 pm »
The first one they interview is fantastic.

The actor nailed those creepy  scary AF mannerisms to a tee.

The bit with the pet bird shook me a little bit,wasn't expecting that.

Kemper, yes he is unreal at the role. His chilling tales of murder and then hes asks may he have some Pizza. ;D Fuck me that just got me when i watched.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 08:58:49 am »
Watch this over the weekend.

Really enjoyed it. The acting was top notch, the interplay between all the groups super. I though the way they showed the different area's of America at the time was really interesting, also the difference between academia now and then and the distrust it held of the government.

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 06:30:45 am »
Loving this. The writing is great.

I'm really loving the little scenes of the serial killer (BTK?) at the start of each episode where hes just doing everything normal, his job, at home with the family, posting some mail, but with the foreshadowing of something more sinister. Real Fincher.

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 10:52:58 am »
Currently six episodes into this show, absolutely brilliant! The interviews, especially with Kemper, are very good, very well acting. Bring on season two as well! Read it's going to be about the Atlanta child murders from 1979 until 1981.

Offline Poet

• He IS a poet! And he truly knows it! He's a new member; fresh fire from old ember. No idiot or fool, for he follows Liverpool. A CT gift from heaven! Well, actually, from 24/7...who's taller than 5' 11"!
  • Kopite
    • Sui-Juris
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 02:04:16 pm »
There's a surprising amount of humour in this show. Proper cracked up at the bit where Holden was going over the "deviant" words  ;D.

Also, the interplay between Shepard, Holden and Bill is great. Feels really natural.

Brilliant scene, watched it a few moments ago  :lmao
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Offline Poet

• He IS a poet! And he truly knows it! He's a new member; fresh fire from old ember. No idiot or fool, for he follows Liverpool. A CT gift from heaven! Well, actually, from 24/7...who's taller than 5' 11"!
  • Kopite
    • Sui-Juris
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 02:13:48 pm »
Another great thing about this show is that it stimulates ones intellectuality. Makes you think more thoroughly about why crime takes place and the underlying factors that give rise to social deviancy. Shows that aren't black and white are always the most enthralling. Now, back to episode 4  :thumbup
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 02:44:38 pm »
Another great thing about this show is that it stimulates ones intellectuality. Makes you think more thoroughly about why crime takes place and the underlying factors that give rise to social deviancy. Shows that aren't black and white are always the most enthralling. Now, back to episode 4  :thumbup
Yeah, definitely mate. It's all their mothers' fault, apparently! But no, in seriousness, it does seem that parenting plays a huge role in shaping psychopathic personality, as it doubtless plays a huge role in shaping anyone's personality.

The actor who played Ed Kemper was great, I thought. Really enjoyed the series as a whole, even if it got a bit dark at times, and am looking forward to the second one. It'd be interesting to find out how close the Tench and Ford characters are to the real life investigators they're based on.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 03:50:05 pm »
Loving this. The writing is great.

I'm really loving the little scenes of the serial killer (BTK?) at the start of each episode where hes just doing everything normal, his job, at home with the family, posting some mail, but with the foreshadowing of something more sinister. Real Fincher.

Said it before but this could get 10 seasons easy especially with all the cases they can use, long may it last.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 06:46:30 pm »
Finished this last night, one of the best things I've watched in a while. It looked incredible, it was shot so well and all the period details they put into it were great. The acting was supreme it really felt authentic helped by the brilliant writing. All in all a top class show and I cant wait to see some more. 

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 11:03:17 am »
Finished it Saturday night. Really liked it.

Deals with theory and practice. Loved how it approached the limits that job offered and how far they can be overstepped so the characters can accomplish their aim and at what price. In their personal lives and how it changes them, the relationships with their co-workers and partners etc.

Nicely shot, well acted and loved how several certain looks and grimaces on characters' faces did all the job required instead of talking. Avoided cliche situations.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 01:02:32 am »
Really enjoyed this.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 07:21:42 am »
loved it

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 04:50:08 pm »
Up to episode 3. Been good.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 05:01:51 pm »
Excellent
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 05:05:05 pm »
Shoe fetish scene was a bit rich for me

Excellent series, got 3 left. Putting them off because I don't want it to end and then be dissatisfied with whatever I watch next.

Spoiler
Can't recall or be bothered googling his name but the prison interviews with the fella who skull fucked his mum were compelling viewing.
[close]

EDIT: I've got season 3 of Narcos to watch, so might finish this tonight
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:10:07 pm by Rattleduser »
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 01:14:25 am »
watched them last couple of days very well made and as said Music is good as well, watched 5-6 so far. Will watch the rest ASAP
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 2, 2017, 09:59:45 am »
Up to episode 8. This has been quality.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 2, 2017, 12:53:17 pm »
Excellent overall. Look forward to next season.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #32 on: November 6, 2017, 09:01:39 pm »
Finally finished this over the weekend - I was rationing myself to one per evening, as I felt it needed to be digested slowly rather than binged. I thought it was outstanding, and more than lived up to my prior high expectations.

The first thing it got right was in the casting, which was uniformly excellent.  I had no idea that the guy who sings the cheerily playful King George songs on the Hamilton soundtrack could be so convincing as an idealistic, quizzical FBI agent.  Groff played the guy who blurs the line between questioning the sociopath, and befriending the sociopath so well; he's the embodiment of the Nietzschean thing of 'whoever fights monsters should be careful lest he become a monster in the process'.
The actor playing Bill Tench was also excellent, as was Anna Torv.

But holy shit did they knock it out of the park in the casting of the serial killers. The guy playing Ed Kemper was just electric, and Brudos was also creepy as fuck.

I liked that it was very episodic - it didn't try to be a ten-hour movie, and didn't resort to a Killer-of-the-Week storyline. Too many Netflix shows don't define episodes very well - probably because they're almost designed to be binged.
You could empathise with the agents even as you knew they were stepping over boundaries as they were literally making up the science as they went along.
Visually, it was stunning, and the period details looked very convincing, as you'd expect from a Fincher-led series.

Best show of 2017 for me.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2017, 11:37:47 pm »
About to give this a watch now, been holding off for a while but all I've seen is praise for it.

Offline armchair-fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 11:51:35 pm »
4 episodes in and I think its great. It looks amazing as you'd expect with Fincher's involvement and the actors in it are really impressive. It's much better then I anticipated it would be.

I know what you mean about 'better than anticipated'.  I'm not sure why, but I presumed it would be trash, perhaps it was the title which doesn't sound promising, but I gave it a go after reading a positive review and I'm very glad I did.  I was somewhat distracted by the one of the two lead fellas looking so much like Emmanuel Macron though.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2017, 01:12:44 am »
Finished it Saturday night. Really liked it.

Deals with theory and practice. Loved how it approached the limits that job offered and how far they can be overstepped so the characters can accomplish their aim and at what price. In their personal lives and how it changes them, the relationships with their co-workers and partners etc.

Nicely shot, well acted and loved how several certain looks and grimaces on characters' faces did all the job required instead of talking. Avoided cliche situations.

Nicely summed up!

Would also add it had featured some great locations all over the states, and looked like the seventies without being jarring or forcing references down your throat.

On the very last scene, does anyone think it might be a bit of a tease that will ultimately have no payoff? Almost like here is an active serial killer, and one the police are nowhere near. And then next season another one, that even a more established BSU can't get near etc to show the futility in trying to understand everyone. Maybe I'm getting too used to David Lynch set-ups without pay off, that are somehow still satisfying tohugh..

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2017, 01:15:48 am »
I know what you mean about 'better than anticipated'.  I'm not sure why, but I presumed it would be trash, perhaps it was the title which doesn't sound promising, but I gave it a go after reading a positive review and I'm very glad I did.  I was somewhat distracted by the one of the two lead fellas looking so much like Emmanuel Macron though.

Agree it was much better than anticipated.

On the lookalike angle, I'd make it a three-parter with Macron, Dennis from It's Always Sunny and Toby Maguie

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2017, 08:04:01 am »
This is the first Netflix or Amazon series that I actually binge-watched for a while, watching in groups of two or three episodes over a week, instead of watching one every few days.

I don't get the criticisms of the lead's acting, I thought he was fine.
Nice to see Anna Torv again, she's a really good actress.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2017, 11:42:42 am »

On the very last scene, does anyone think it might be a bit of a tease that will ultimately have no payoff? Almost like here is an active serial killer, and one the police are nowhere near. And then next season another one, that even a more established BSU can't get near etc to show the futility in trying to understand everyone. Maybe I'm getting too used to David Lynch set-ups without pay off, that are somehow still satisfying tohugh..

Ha! Hadn't thought about it but it very well may be like that. Certainly wouldn't mind that and want to believe it's not a series that will have the stereotyped closure. On the other hand I could say, that all that development that has taken place happened in order to catch that guy or the next one. We'll see.

;D  ;D Nice spot. The neo-liberal prick.

You're right about the title. Reminds me of the Patriot series. Suggests pure trash, turns out completely the opposite.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2017, 06:47:14 am »
I gave up halfway in to episode 1. Might go back after reading this
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'