Author Topic: Peaky Blinders - Season 5 - 25th Aug 2019 9pm - BBC1  (Read 59184 times)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
Peaky Blinders - Season 5 - 25th Aug 2019 9pm - BBC1
« on: October 6, 2014, 08:46:30 pm »
Can they repeat or better series 1 i think that will be a tough ask.

Series 2 Ep 1 was full of Stylish Brutality and a good soundtrack however the storyline was all over the place, maybe too much set out too soon.

Hopefully in ep2 they will fill in some of the gaps
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Re: Peaky Blinders - Season 5 - 25th Aug 2019 9pm - BBC1
« Reply #1 on: October 6, 2014, 10:47:15 pm »
Just watched it geoff...really enjoyed it.....bit ambitious plotwise as you say but a bravura opening episode IMO....strong female roles again - and agreeably violent...and with the splendid Tom Hardy yet to arrive....all good
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #2 on: October 7, 2014, 12:31:14 am »
Never seen it but was thinking of having a look. Worth a watch?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #3 on: October 7, 2014, 10:56:03 am »
Seems interesting. 1st season on its way.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 7, 2014, 01:32:40 pm »
Never seen it but was thinking of having a look. Worth a watch?

yes but stick with it
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline redmen9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 7, 2014, 07:59:29 pm »
Don't have satellite TV so this is pretty much the only thing I look forward to watching on TV at the moment. Great characters set against a really dark and grim background of industrial Birmingham after the Great War. Certainly worth a watch.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 9, 2014, 05:09:42 pm »
Its a great show. Tom Hardy joins the show from today so thats him and Cillian Murphy on screen together. Nice.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #7 on: October 9, 2014, 11:28:46 pm »
I have watched the first couple episodes and enjoyed them. Accents are ridiculous mind.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 09:24:41 am »
I completely missed this first time around but I'm really enjoying catching up,

Personally I thinks it's refreshing to see a big budget, ambitious British TV show which isn't set in a more 'regal' age

I think a lot of the actors get the accent spot on to be honest. It's a really difficult one to get right without sounding cartoonish and OTT

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 03:38:33 pm »
it says a lot about the slightly rambling storyline (and possibly also the quality of the writing) that i accidentally downloaded the second episode of the second season and watched it first, and was still able to follow it. 

in the year since the first series, i've started watching 'boardwalk empire', and i can certainly see the comparisons are valid (and how 'peaky blinders' seems to try a little too hard to ape it sometimes).
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline woolage

• Main Stander
  • Did you smash it?
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 12:03:07 am »
We took this of the dog today :)

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 03:30:36 am »
what a fantastic episode.  still a little unclear where the story's actually going given that we're already halfway through, but it looks so good, and the performances are top notch.

music choices still jar a bit (i prefer boardwalk's period pieces), but it really does compare favourably to anything out of the US at the moment, and there's not much on british TV you can say that about.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 09:28:32 am »
Agreed....very strong episode - and overall a cracking show, real sense of identity to it......just a shame British TV series are so short...with only 3 episodes left it feels like its going to be over before its begun....anyway, would like to think this will run for quite a while, may help to fill the Boardwalk Empire void in my regular telly viewing...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline redmen9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 01:52:46 pm »

music choices still jar a bit

Hmmm, I quite like the music myself. Royal Blood and Arctic Monkeys featuring on the last episode.  There's certainly a lot more music in this series, guess that's mirroring the US shows like Boardwalk Empire et al not that I've seen that mind.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 03:00:28 pm »
Hmmm, I quite like the music myself. Royal Blood and Arctic Monkeys featuring on the last episode.  There's certainly a lot more music in this series, guess that's mirroring the US shows like Boardwalk Empire et al not that I've seen that mind.

don't get me wrong, i think the music is excellent (the various versions of 'red right hand' rearranged to suit the scene are particularly excellent), it's just i find they take me out of the period setting a little.  BE uses older music which is more in keeping with the era (or at least sounds like it is).  i had a similar issue with 'mad men' when they suddenly stuck a contemporary track in amongst all the 60s gems.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 03:56:34 pm »
I like the contrast of old and new...The Knick similarly uses a contemporary, stark / minimalist synthesizer soundtrack to great effect..works well as long as it isnt overdone imo

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 04:54:49 pm »
each to their own, i guess.  it is a nice contrast on occasion, and the heavy guitars suit the industrial setting, just not the era.  it's a minor quibble though.

i forgot to mention a particular highlight of last night's episode:

Spoiler
"i recommend the daily mail. it will broaden your mind."
[close]

:lmao

Offline redmen9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 09:15:46 am »
don't get me wrong, i think the music is excellent (the various versions of 'red right hand' rearranged to suit the scene are particularly excellent), it's just i find they take me out of the period setting a little.  BE uses older music which is more in keeping with the era (or at least sounds like it is).  i had a similar issue with 'mad men' when they suddenly stuck a contemporary track in amongst all the 60s gems.

The music tends to be accoustic in style though not too modern if you know what I mean. If as you say the music is set to reflect the industrial background, how long I wonder until Birmingham's finest, the original industrial metallic sound Black Sabbath feature!

Would you recommend BE then? Been thinking of getting the dvds for previous series?

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 03:49:02 pm »
The music tends to be accoustic in style though not too modern if you know what I mean. If as you say the music is set to reflect the industrial background, how long I wonder until Birmingham's finest, the original industrial metallic sound Black Sabbath feature!

Would you recommend BE then? Been thinking of getting the dvds for previous series?

i'm only about halfway through the first season, but it is very good and covers a lot of similar themes to PB (the mini 'boom' following the great war, returning soldiers trying to live with what they had to do, corruption in the police etc, both set in aspirational 'provincial' settings rather than main/capital cities, the struggle of women to be recognised and so on).  PB seemed to spend a lot of the first season trying to ape BE, but it seems to have a bit more identity and self-confidence of its own in this second series.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 03:10:44 am »
another superb episode, that moved from painfully graphic violence (not enough bottlings on TV, i say) to clever character humour (the meeting between the gang leaders was great fun) to heavy sexual tension (nicely undermined with that unexpected question) to heavy sex (that took both the 'carry on' approach and later a genuinely sexy version).

this ticked all the boxes for the classic HBO dramas (violence, lots of swearing, bouncing bosoms - everything other than the fact that no-one used the word "c*nt"), but it obviously suffered for the short run.  so much time was condensed in this episode alone for the sake of the limited number of episodes available.  why does the BBC not have the confidence in its primetime drama to have 12/13 episode runs that could compete with US shows on a level playing field?

cillian murphy is so good in this.

Offline redmen9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 05:37:20 pm »

cillian murphy is so good in this.

I don't know how many planned series they have for this but I guess that your point up there could be seen as the the slight flaw in proceeedings.  Tommy Shelby's character is such a robust one in which he carries the whole show, played incredibly by Murphy, that you just cannot envisage them ever killing him off.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 12:46:21 am »
I don't know how many planned series they have for this but I guess that your point up there could be seen as the the slight flaw in proceeedings.  Tommy Shelby's character is such a robust one in which he carries the whole show, played incredibly by Murphy, that you just cannot envisage them ever killing him off.

i think it's a bit unfair to say he carries the whole show, as i don't think there's a bad performance in the whole show, and there are some strong characters too.

but tommy's in the tradition of the 'difficult men' that have fronted up every major TV show since the sopranos (tony soprano, walter white, al swearengen, don draper etc).  obviously killing any of them off is going to put a downer on their respective series, but the writers can have a lot of fun making his life awkward and a misery before his story comes to an end, which is actually far better entertainment than just killing him off.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 08:10:00 am »
Highly enjoyable series this. Arthur is just a mess but nice contradiction though with Thomas. Season 2 is even better.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 07:50:24 pm »
Highly enjoyable series this. Arthur is just a mess but nice contradiction though with Thomas. Season 2 is even better.

and so glorious seeing him issuing violent threats to a load of london louches in his brummy accent :lmao

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 02:13:01 am »
another good episode, especially the set-piece at the start.  after that it went a bit all over the place with some nice moments but a bit of silliness too, and that very, very nasty scene.

Spoiler
the whole grace thing is a bit of a distraction, and is surely only going one way, with a little tommy popping up in new york in nine months' time.
[close]

what amazes me the most is this proto-M40 they seem to have that lets tommy zip up and down from birmingham to london so easily.  it had to have been more of an ordeal making such a long journey by relatively slow car on relatively primitive roads even then, surely?

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 08:48:37 am »

Fabio Borini. He would play everywhere.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 03:33:52 pm »
what amazes me the most is this proto-M40 they seem to have that lets tommy zip up and down from birmingham to london so easily.  it had to have been more of an ordeal making such a long journey by relatively slow car on relatively primitive roads even then, surely?

in Tommy's Buggati - about 2 / 3 hrs via the A5 by my reckoning...

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 1, 2014, 08:17:00 am »

in Tommy's Buggati - about 2 / 3 hrs via the A5 by my reckoning...

i'm not convinced.  it's around 2 hours via the m6/m1 now, and that's to NW london let alone camden.  less traffic back then, but slower vehicles (worse brakes) and roads less conducive to high speed i'd have guessed?

in summary, i have no idea, but it's the main thing that strikes me as odd in every episode.

Offline redmen9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 1, 2014, 09:55:13 am »
i'm not convinced.  it's around 2 hours via the m6/m1 now, and that's to NW london let alone camden.  less traffic back then, but slower vehicles (worse brakes) and roads less conducive to high speed i'd have guessed?

in summary, i have no idea, but it's the main thing that strikes me as odd in every episode.

Well if youre splitting hairs, id pick up on the use of foul language. My dad used to say that hardly anyone used the word "fuck" until after the second world war when swearing was popularised by the stationed American GIs. Ever second word out of Arthurs mouth is a f...!

Corker of a series though. Theres so many people I want to see get their comeuppance but I genuinely have no idea as to how things are going to play out. Last episode next Thursday, I think its going to be explosive!

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #29 on: November 1, 2014, 11:47:08 am »

without wishing to divert the thread into a grim 1920's episode of Top Gear, I'd say it was entirely feasible to drive to London from Birmingham in 2/3 hours in the mid 20's....a Bugatti sport doing 60mph down Watling St / the A5 wouldn't have much bother covering the 100 (ish) miles ....

anyway, its not the automobile issues that I find distracting, it's still the Bromsgrove meets Scottie Rd accents.....particularly Polly, who morphs into Cilla Black whenever she gets angry...which is quite often  ;D

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 1, 2014, 03:16:11 pm »
without wishing to divert the thread into a grim 1920's episode of Top Gear, I'd say it was entirely feasible to drive to London from Birmingham in 2/3 hours in the mid 20's....a Bugatti sport doing 60mph down Watling St / the A5 wouldn't have much bother covering the 100 (ish) miles ....

anyway, its not the automobile issues that I find distracting, it's still the Bromsgrove meets Scottie Rd accents.....particularly Polly, who morphs into Cilla Black whenever she gets angry...which is quite often  ;D

still not convinced by the cars.  i don't think the A5 would be in a good enough condition to go flat out all the way (which 60 would be, pretty much) - it still isn't :).  but it's a minor point, just something that always strikes me as odd.  and it's not so much the timing (they never actually mention how long it takes), more the ease of it.  regardless of speed, travel by car would have been more of an arduous experience back then, travelling at speed on roads designed for carts, yet tommy arrives looking like he's just stepped off a first class pendolino into euston :).

i agree about polly's geographically ambiguous accent.  the others have improved in season 2 though.

all in all, a really great show, that should get more episodes to do it justice.

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #31 on: November 2, 2014, 01:42:38 am »
I watched all of Series 1 yesterday and caught up with Series 2 today and I love it. I don't really watch British dramas which is weird I guess considering I am British but after finding out the casting for this I had to give it a go. Great acting by all and great visuals. Cillian Murphy is a great lead actor.

Spoiler
It's amazing in the latest episode how everything just turned on its head. Everything was looking great business wise, then bam, the Jews and the Italians have a common enemy and Arthur and Michael get arrested. Crazy stuff haha.
[close]

Can't wait for the series finale now. Does anyone know if it's coming back for a third series?
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 2, 2014, 11:18:05 am »
who sings the title track it is just so atmospheric ?

as for the series Sam Neill deserves some praise for playing that evil bastard so well. 

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 2, 2014, 11:23:59 am »
Also when this finishes we get 'The Fall' Series 2 BBC2 Dramas on Thursdays .

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #34 on: November 2, 2014, 12:18:28 pm »
who sings the title track it is just so atmospheric ?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RrxePKps87k&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RrxePKps87k&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1</a>

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 2, 2014, 12:27:16 pm »
Great show but the accents get in the way, Cillian Murphy can do it well but a lot of the others flounder.

Dodgy accents, you can't believe it, could have cast of native actors who could have done it and built it around Murphy as the "name".  He is fantastic in it, contrast to Breakfast on pluto.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2014, 12:29:32 pm by End Product »
No time for caution.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #36 on: November 3, 2014, 09:42:16 am »
Also when this finishes we get 'The Fall' Series 2 BBC2 Dramas on Thursdays .

Fuck yeah. What a great follow up of a series. Loved season 1 and took them a lot of time to air season 2. Cannot wait.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #37 on: November 3, 2014, 12:53:13 pm »
That actress who play grace has had a nose job.

Deffo had a rhinoplasty done before season 2.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 3, 2014, 03:09:53 pm »
i'm getting a bit disoriented by watching this and 'boardwalk empire' at the same time, what with the peakys planning to export scotch to america and the new york gangsters planning to import scotch into america... :)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 3, 2014, 04:16:02 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RrxePKps87k&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RrxePKps87k&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1</a>

Thanks must listen to more of his stuff then. Excellent song.