Author Topic: Mythbusters  (Read 6314 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Mythbusters
« on: May 2, 2011, 09:07:51 pm »
New Episode on Discovery NOW!!! RIGHT NOW!!

It's the Green Hornet Special. I suggest we use this thread as people watch the series and explain what's going on.

First scene - Adam and Jamie (And the Star of the Green Hornet!) Test the exploding out of the whole film effect. They are replicating the rockets with a load of TNT. Can they survive? Can the car Survive? can the car be even moved..!

Watch this space!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Mythbusters
« Reply #1 on: May 2, 2011, 09:10:03 pm »
I predict that the car will stay in the ground and will be wrecked by the blast,. I predict that the inhabitants won't be having a good day.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2 on: May 2, 2011, 09:12:35 pm »
The skipping stone car recently was excellent, couldn't believe they got it to bounce like that.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3 on: May 2, 2011, 09:14:43 pm »
OK Myth number two for todays episode for the mini-Mythbusters:

When the Black Beauty goes up in the lift, the back gets sheared off, but the car is drivable..

Can it get split in two and can it drive with only the front of the car left?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4 on: May 2, 2011, 09:17:43 pm »
They've made a nice Black Beauty like the one in the film and then shot it to bits with a SMG to 'match what the one in the film looked like'

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5 on: May 2, 2011, 09:22:11 pm »
Car got blown to bits (And the digger collapsed). The inhabitants did not survive. Now they are trying to see what they need to do to make it actually fly out of the hole!

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #6 on: May 2, 2011, 09:22:50 pm »
Liked the Jaws episode they did a few years back.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 2, 2011, 09:26:12 pm »
Not watching it but are they trying to make a car 'fly' by mounting rockets on it? I've seen pictures of something similar with a tank during WW2. That didn't work either.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 2, 2011, 09:29:30 pm »
Love this show. Used to watch it a lot back in the days when I had Discovery. I really miss it.
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #9 on: May 2, 2011, 09:34:28 pm »
Best myth they confirmed on this in my opinion was when they found out that elephants really are scared of mice.  I've started getting addicted to this again, brilliant show.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 2, 2011, 09:54:12 pm »
It's become seriously stale these days. One of the most recent episodes was them busting the running on water viral video myth. It was a complete waste of time.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #11 on: May 3, 2011, 10:49:58 am »
I wonder if they will ever do a Burn Notice special loads of myths they could try to bust on that show.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Skuzzlebutt

• Legacy Fan
  • Hulk share opinion!!
« Reply #12 on: May 3, 2011, 12:25:56 pm »
If the Zombie apocalypse ever happens I want Jamie, Adam and Carrie Byron on my team.  Jamie and Adam for the cool weapons they would build and Carrie for repopulating the Earth.  Jobs a good'n.
We're gonna win the league-omiter

[00.........................................................]

V5. 2013 edition.  Optimism levels rusted solid.  We're givin' her all she's got Captain!!!

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #13 on: May 3, 2011, 12:27:05 pm »
Love Mythbusters. Cant say enough good things about it

If you have any kids sit them in front of it and make them watch the re-runs. A great educational tool.

And if you require any better reason

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 3, 2011, 01:30:34 pm »
 ;D

Offline pink-radebe

• Anny Roader
  • Sharing milkshakes can spread germs.
« Reply #15 on: May 3, 2011, 03:33:42 pm »
Oh my...
Thank you for reading my signature.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #16 on: May 3, 2011, 03:50:55 pm »
bob should be knighted for that!

Offline Skuzzlebutt

• Legacy Fan
  • Hulk share opinion!!
« Reply #17 on: May 4, 2011, 02:11:51 pm »
We're gonna win the league-omiter

[00.........................................................]

V5. 2013 edition.  Optimism levels rusted solid.  We're givin' her all she's got Captain!!!

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 4, 2011, 02:19:25 pm »
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #19 on: May 5, 2011, 11:33:52 am »
It's become seriously stale these days. One of the most recent episodes was them busting the running on water viral video myth. It was a complete waste of time.

Definitely. One thing that pissed me off in the last season was how Carrie, Grant and Tory were going over the top all the time. That myth about "getting cold feet" was the worst part I've ever seen in an episode of Mythbusters... ;) Except maybe that Stormchasers-Special...

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #20 on: May 5, 2011, 11:45:38 am »
;D

Bob, that is fucking fantastic sir.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 06:07:44 pm »
Kari Byron, Grant Imahara and Tory Belleci have been fired

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 06:11:20 pm »
Well there goes one of the main reasons to watch the show!

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 06:15:15 pm »
Nobody likes change, and i dont like this. They'll be missed

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 06:24:57 pm »
Yep stupid decision

Official reason is they want to 'go back to their roots' which means just Adam and Jamie

I'm guessing their contracts we're up and they wanted a bigger slice of the pie and that either pissed off Adam and Jamie or Discovery.

I can't see it being a ratings decision. If anything they were the funnier and interesting side of the show. Keri Byron brought the sex appeal and also the female perspective and the other 2 brought comedy and also the engineering side

Shame

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 06:28:03 pm »
We'll have to put up with Adams Jack Sparrow impression now for comedy value. That hasn't got old

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 06:41:06 pm »
Not good for the show.
They were with Mythbusters since, if I recall correctly, 2005. They gave a lot to the show and it simply won't be the same without them. My guess is they'll hire somebody else - since two of them aren't sufficient anymore. They don't have enough entertainment value.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 08:14:06 pm »
Meh, earlier episodes were 10x better where it felt like they busted actual myths, can't believe it's still going strong
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 08:39:44 pm »
Just heard about this.  Reckon this will kill the show.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 12:56:27 pm »
Not good for the show.
They were with Mythbusters since, if I recall correctly, 2005. They gave a lot to the show and it simply won't be the same without them. My guess is they'll hire somebody else - since two of them aren't sufficient anymore. They don't have enough entertainment value.

2004 as part of the backstage build/research team. 2005 as on air presenters.

Grant and Tory could go back to ILM pretty easily and I'm sure Keri will get presenter work.

Personally I would like to see Netflix take them on and go up against Mythbusters at their own game.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 3, 2015, 07:05:03 am »
As expected the new series isn't all that good.
Not bad, just has a different, less fun feel to it with only Adam and Jamie working on myths.
Also they've visually sprinkled it up, which isn't bad, it's been overdue for a long time.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 3, 2015, 02:01:57 pm »
As expected the new series isn't all that good.
Not bad, just has a different, less fun feel to it with only Adam and Jamie working on myths.
Also they've visually sprinkled it up, which isn't bad, it's been overdue for a long time.

Will have to watch again, but in my view Mythbusters wasn't really enjoyable anymore even with Tori, Kari and Grant. In the beginning they came across quite genuine, but in the later episodes everything seemed to get a lot more "fake" and those three were basically the centre of attention instead of the myths they were busting. The worst episode I've ever seen was the one about "cold feet". That was just awful...

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #32 on: March 3, 2015, 02:26:58 pm »
Is this thread about Alan_X?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 3, 2015, 03:13:03 pm »
Its been a very poor season for them (only 6 episodes as well)

Seems like they have had to resort to TV/Film and cheap and easy tie ins to get this to air.

Its a shame because the concept is a good one. Just poorly executed

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 4, 2015, 09:03:37 am »
Its been a very poor season for them (only 6 episodes as well)

Seems like they have had to resort to TV/Film and cheap and easy tie ins to get this to air.

Its a shame because the concept is a good one. Just poorly executed

Just watched the first episde (the Simpsons-one) and it does feel a bit like they've run out of ideas and just picked the easiest stuff they could come up with (i.e. stuff from TV-series and movies). To be fair though, I didn't really miss the build-team, but I'd say it wasn't a great watch. Especially, the beginning with them sitting on the couch "looking for something good on the telly" was cringeworthy at best...

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2015, 11:29:35 pm »
Just hearing the show is done.  Was always on the cards after they sacked the junior team.

EDIT: yeah, 14th season will be the last, airs next January.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:31:08 pm by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2015, 09:25:03 am »
Yep. No big loss in terms of current content though sad that they have taken a great concept and bled it dry

What they should do is take a 3 year hiatus and then come back with new material

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 4, 2016, 10:12:41 pm »
Last episode ever on Saturday.
Farewell Mythbusters, it's been fun for a good long time.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 4, 2016, 11:02:28 pm »
This season has actually been a return to form for them. I've really enjoyed the myths they have been taking on this season.

Always sad to see a good long running show go. Especially when the grounding of the show is based in science and fact based theory.

Been reading a bunch of interviews that Adam Savage has been giving and one thing stands out

Jamie and Adam aren't friends. They don't expect to talk or see each other very much after the show ends. Maybe once a year just to catch up. There will be no more collaboration unless they are paid.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #39 on: March 4, 2016, 11:20:56 pm »
Thank you for Kari Byron.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.