Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 279371 times)

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #200 on: March 25, 2013, 01:13:18 pm »
Watched 'Senna' yesterday, really enjoyed it.

Sorry if already mentioned.
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: March 25, 2013, 02:53:19 pm »
Just watched Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold story of Ozploitation

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0996966/?ref_=sr_1

Tells the story of the surge of Australian genre films throughout the 70's and 80's. (Mad Max probably being the most well known examle) Lots of well known actors getting their starts from these films. Nicole Kidman, Mel Gibson and even Helen Mirren who featured in one very very early in her career.

Really fun, light hearted documentary. Has Quentin Tarantino in it, who was quite the expert I must say!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLm1ppE_Ib0

“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: March 25, 2013, 04:27:02 pm »
Does anybody know where I could download a copy of that BBC2 drama-doc with William Hurt about The Challenger disaster enquiry?  I don't want to download the iplayer version but can't find a torrent for it anywhere.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline shambles

• Kopite
  • It's not easy being green
« Reply #203 on: March 25, 2013, 06:44:29 pm »
Does anybody know where I could download a copy of that BBC2 drama-doc with William Hurt about The Challenger disaster enquiry?  I don't want to download the iplayer version but can't find a torrent for it anywhere.

Torrentleech.org has it in both normal and HD

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: March 25, 2013, 07:40:19 pm »
Thanks for that, but are there any places that don't require a registration?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: March 26, 2013, 02:01:32 pm »
The History channel's series of documentaries America: the story of us, is fascinating. A real journey through the centuries into how America became a superpower from a few settlements.

Even better is National Geographic's the story of Earth, which is quite literally a breathtaking view of our planet's journey through 4 and a half billion years to today.

Both are available on youtube.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #206 on: April 10, 2013, 04:31:54 pm »
I’m naturally drawn to stories of pain, destruction, death and the ongoing tragedy of life.

....snip...

In short, if you want to be left feeling heartbroken and overwhelmed then go ahead and watch them.

Same with I've just watched, very sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGbjSKURMwo
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #207 on: April 10, 2013, 05:02:12 pm »
Anyone seen King of Kong:A fistful of quarters?

watched it the other day and it was very good.

Its about trying to beat world records in classic arcade games, mainly Donkey Kong.

Well worth a watch very interesting/funny

highly reccomended.

http://www.imdb.co.uk/title/tt0923752/

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: April 13, 2013, 11:47:59 am »
Morning, I need to some quick research on Cambodia, Khmer Rouge, Pol Pott, Thatcher western involvment and also Mugabe Rhodesia and the history of Zimbabwe.

Does any one have any recommendations on this subject?

Also, anything good about journalism? A day in the life of stuff like that.   

Thanks a lot !
No time for caution.

Offline Enemy

• Fairly low-maintenance pritsatoixouphobic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: April 13, 2013, 03:45:46 pm »

Its about trying to beat world records in classic arcade games, mainly Donkey Kong.

highly reccomended.

Watched it on Netflix a few months ago, really fun film.

Really enjoyed 'Waiting for Superman' about the US Public school system, quite sad to see so many families trying so hard against the odds.
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline thekremlin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • nothing like a nice cup of tea
« Reply #210 on: April 13, 2013, 10:27:27 pm »
Autoluminescent. About Roland S Howard, the guitarist from The Birthday Party, These Immortal Souls and Crime & The City Solution. Amazing film about an amazing man.

Offline Scott0908

• Kopite
« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2013, 11:12:00 pm »
inside combat rescue afghanistan. worth a watch .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rc4_2_YXuw

Offline MULLENEDWINE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: April 15, 2013, 02:13:52 pm »
When We Left Earth - Ordinary Supermen (Part 1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqXo_y_YNQ8

Series about the early days of NASA onwards, really interesting and well made.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: April 15, 2013, 02:31:22 pm »
Morning, I need to some quick research on Cambodia, Khmer Rouge, Pol Pott, Thatcher western involvment and also Mugabe Rhodesia and the history of Zimbabwe.

Does any one have any recommendations on this subject?

Thanks a lot !

Year Zero: The Silent Death of Cambodia gives an excellent insight. I found it extremely upsetting.

I have also seen one about Western involvement in the Indonesia occupation of East Timor – East Timor – The coup the world miss by a fantastic documentary maker named John Pilger. I recommend all his work.

Also did a docu about  the Chagos islands in the Indian Ocean called stealing a nation.

This tells a story literally 'hidden from history'. In the 1960s and 70s, British governments, conspiring with American officials, tricked into leaving, then expelled the entire population of the Chagos islands in the Indian Ocean. The aim was to give the principal island of this Crown Colony, Diego Garcia, to the Americans who wanted it as a major military base.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 02:36:32 pm by CheshireDave »
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline ozzy-red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King.
« Reply #214 on: April 15, 2013, 02:38:36 pm »
Dave Grohl's " Sound City" is fantastic viewing.
That's about as funny as having impotency and a pregnant wife.

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2013, 04:21:11 am »

Thanks a lot !

A documentary I saw a little while ago called Page One: Inside the New York Times might be something along the lines of what you're looking for.

Saw a bit of it and it seemed good.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline End Product

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2013, 02:03:50 pm »
Thanks for all your recommendations!
No time for caution.

Offline Death by Football

• Anny Roader
  • ► JFT96 ◄
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2013, 02:07:36 pm »
'Room 237' is hidden gem for fans of The Shining and Stanley Kubrick movies in general.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #218 on: April 21, 2013, 01:07:24 pm »
Just seen Searching for Sugar Man. Best music documentary I've ever seen. Just bought Cold Facts from Amazon, hope he gets some of the royalties.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: April 21, 2013, 03:52:03 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6fwaNgw9Aag" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6fwaNgw9Aag</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CLQNYsxP9T0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CLQNYsxP9T0</a>
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:57:44 pm by stara »
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: April 26, 2013, 02:34:49 am »
Just seen Searching for Sugar Man. Best music documentary I've ever seen. Just bought Cold Facts from Amazon, hope he gets some of the royalties.

He does now and from his shows but apparently just gives it all away!

Watched the doco Central Park Five the other day. Was very good but so frustrating. Amazing that miscarriages of justice can be so blatant and yet still get the state a result.

Offline End Product

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: June 6, 2013, 03:27:24 pm »
It may have been mentioned but may I  recommend War Game, its a docu-drama, pretty grime stuff, was made in the sixties but did n't get shown for 20 years as it was deemed to shocking.

Also, does anyone one have any recommendations on documentaries about,

The Red Scare in 50's America, Mcarthyism, police in the 50's america, 50's culture in America.

Thanks in advance.
No time for caution.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #222 on: June 6, 2013, 03:38:53 pm »
I watched a Japanese documentary the other day called 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi.' It's about an octogenarian sushi chef who has been practicing the art for over sixty years and is considered the greatest sushi chef in the world. Very, very interesting and it'll make you ravenous, the food looks fantastic. Eccentric but compelling characters, they just want perfection. Jiro Ono, the chef in question, also has three michelin stars, a rating that is considered that the restaurant is good enough to travel to the country to, just to eat there.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #223 on: June 9, 2013, 02:34:35 am »
When We Left Earth - Ordinary Supermen (Part 1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqXo_y_YNQ8

Series about the early days of NASA onwards, really interesting and well made.
Just discovering this, very good show indeed cheers!
YNWA

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: June 9, 2013, 02:39:10 am »
I watched a Japanese documentary the other day called 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi.' It's about an octogenarian sushi chef who has been practicing the art for over sixty years and is considered the greatest sushi chef in the world. Very, very interesting and it'll make you ravenous, the food looks fantastic. Eccentric but compelling characters, they just want perfection. Jiro Ono, the chef in question, also has three michelin stars, a rating that is considered that the restaurant is good enough to travel to the country to, just to eat there.
Gave me a fucking boner for sushi!
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline End Product

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: June 25, 2013, 11:24:41 am »
Noticed on the i player that they have put up some new Storyville documentaries always worth a look.
No time for caution.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #226 on: June 25, 2013, 02:29:32 pm »
Gave me a fucking boner for sushi!
;D Me too, definitely. It was all the worse because I was eating my tea at the time, a chicken breast with peas and brocolli. Felt so unsatisfying it was unbelievable, just as Ono-San was layering Fatty Tuna over rice and seaweed. I plan to go to Tokyo within the next few years. If I can plan ahead adequately, I'm going to book a table and have money put aside for it as it's around £300 or Y30,000.

I watched another doc called Exit Through The Gift Shop, which I'm sure has been discussed at length in here, as it's quite well-known. Actually left me a little disillusioned about the whole process, that someone as clueless as that Thierry fellow (some have posited he's a character made-up by Banksy though) could make millions of sub-Banksy level regurgitated crap non-art. I appreciate some of the stuff Banksy does (although not all of it). Thierry's work was basically a 'no-mage,' a shit copy with diluted, scrambled ideas. Yet off the back of illusory, self-created hype, he made a hell of a lot of money.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: July 15, 2013, 06:15:04 pm »
http://occupyamerica.crooksandliars.com/diane-sweet/documentary-oxyana#sthash.mvVXFuZN.dpbs

"Tucked in the Appalachian mountains of Southern West Virginia, Oceana, is a small, once thriving coal-mining town that has fallen victim to the fast spreading scourge of prescription painkiller Oxycontin. As the coal industry slowly declined and times got tough, a black market for the drug sprung up and along with it a rash of prostitution, theft and murder. Soon its own residents had nicknamed the town Oxyana and it began to live up to its reputation as abuse, addiction and overdoses became commonplace. Oxyana is a harrowing front line account of a community in the grips of an epidemic, told through the voices of the addicts, the dealers and all those affected. It is a haunting glimpse into an American nightmare unfolding before our eyes, a cautionary tale told with raw and unflinching honesty.

Winner of Best New Documentary Director, Tribeca Film Festival 2013
Special Jury Mention for Best Documentary, Tribeca Film Festival 2013"

Looks promising
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #228 on: July 15, 2013, 07:31:58 pm »
Thanks for all your recommendations!

have a look here mate... all free to watch... loads of subjects..  ;)

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/watch-online/
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Online TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #229 on: July 15, 2013, 10:56:56 pm »
Don`t know whether this has been posted. Documentary on BBC iplayer about Don McCullin the war photographer. Great documentary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b036j3fp/imagine..._Summer_2013_McCullin/

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #230 on: July 15, 2013, 11:58:23 pm »
Noticed on the i player that they have put up some new Storyville documentaries always worth a look.

No idea if it's on there or not but I watched 'The Love of Books: A Sarajevo Story' last year and that was really good.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #231 on: July 16, 2013, 01:04:56 pm »

highly reccomended.

One of my favourite films ever. Must have seen it a dozen times now.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline U can call me Cookie

• Chocolate chip on my shoulder. Let's get ready to crumble!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #232 on: July 16, 2013, 09:07:37 pm »

highly reccomended.

Just watched this. At first I thought maybe this was a mockumentary!
Great doccie though. Billy Mitchell... a man's man.

What was striking, but not really surprising, was the near total lack of hot women in it.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #233 on: July 16, 2013, 10:02:10 pm »
http://occupyamerica.crooksandliars.com/diane-sweet/documentary-oxyana#sthash.mvVXFuZN.dpbs

"Tucked in the Appalachian mountains of Southern West Virginia, Oceana, is a small, once thriving coal-mining town that has fallen victim to the fast spreading scourge of prescription painkiller Oxycontin. As the coal industry slowly declined and times got tough, a black market for the drug sprung up and along with it a rash of prostitution, theft and murder. Soon its own residents had nicknamed the town Oxyana and it began to live up to its reputation as abuse, addiction and overdoses became commonplace. Oxyana is a harrowing front line account of a community in the grips of an epidemic, told through the voices of the addicts, the dealers and all those affected. It is a haunting glimpse into an American nightmare unfolding before our eyes, a cautionary tale told with raw and unflinching honesty.

Winner of Best New Documentary Director, Tribeca Film Festival 2013
Special Jury Mention for Best Documentary, Tribeca Film Festival 2013"

Looks promising
I came in here to see if anyone had info on a torrent or dl for this,it look's really good.When I find one I'll let you know.

The story of what Oxy has done in the  Appalachians is really interesting.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #234 on: July 17, 2013, 01:54:01 pm »
Don`t know whether this has been posted. Documentary on BBC iplayer about Don McCullin the war photographer. Great documentary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b036j3fp/imagine..._Summer_2013_McCullin/

Excellent documentary about an incredible photographer. As a side note it was also a reminder about the damage that Murdoch did to a once great newspaper - incredible news stories with stunning photographs replaced by advertising fodder.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: July 28, 2013, 10:23:44 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/W5seWMYG9kk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/W5seWMYG9kk</a>

"Tracing Ginger Baker's anger back to the lost father who told him that his best friends were his fists, this portrait of the artist grapples with the thorny question of whether you have to like someone to love their music, to which the answer seems to be a resounding "no"."
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline Raheems Baby Boy

• .....with the emphasis on baby. Wanna be gangsta thinkin' he's a wiseguy.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #236 on: July 28, 2013, 05:25:52 pm »

highly reccomended.

ha ha, brilliant, loved it.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #237 on: July 28, 2013, 05:28:05 pm »
The Woody Allen 2-parter on the BBC this week was triffic...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Raheems Baby Boy

• .....with the emphasis on baby. Wanna be gangsta thinkin' he's a wiseguy.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #238 on: July 28, 2013, 05:38:36 pm »
watch a lot of the espn 30 for 30's on netflix, some are excellent, all are well worth watching.
a few personal favorites:

Unguarded
Kings Ransom
Once Brothers
Ghosts of Ole Miss

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: July 28, 2013, 05:55:02 pm »
have a look here mate... all free to watch... loads of subjects..  ;)

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/watch-online/
Bookmarked cheers for this. Agree about the Don McCullin doc. Started watching Lewis and Clark by Ken Burns (on PBS) on America's expansion into west, great as ever.