Author Topic: Serie A  (Read 312429 times)

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Serie A
« Reply #1920 on: July 7, 2020, 10:26:03 am »
Don't know much about Stefano Pioli but he seems another underwhelming appointment. What's with Italian clubs primarily going for Italian managers only? Is it something to do with cultural and language barriers?

I'm just baffled that Milan keep appointing shit managers one after another. Hopefully Man Utd continue down the same path as them. :D

My post when Pioli was appointed. Although he improved them, they're miles off competing against the top teams.

However, I think Milan may have played a blinder with the appointment of Racist Ralf. He knows how to run football clubs and if given the freedom, he can transform their footballing structure to a more modern one and hopefully provide the club with a bit of vision.

Any news on whether he's taking folks from his team at the Red Bull project? That would be a major coup for Milan and one they desperately need to re-establish themselves again.

Genuinely hope this is the start of a positive new era at Milan.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1921 on: July 7, 2020, 10:41:31 am »
My post when Pioli was appointed. Although he improved them, they're miles off competing against the top teams.

However, I think Milan may have played a blinder with the appointment of Racist Ralf. He knows how to run football clubs and if given the freedom, he can transform their footballing structure to a more modern one and hopefully provide the club with a bit of vision.

Any news on whether he's taking folks from his team at the Red Bull project? That would be a major coup for Milan and one they desperately need to re-establish themselves again.

Genuinely hope this is the start of a positive new era at Milan.

I'm always surprised by the affection for Milan on here.

Milan are the Man Utd of Italy. Owned by the dodgiest Prime Minister in the modern era, bankrolled by the national broadcaster. Arrogant as f*ck. And now languishing in mid-table after re-drafting all their old players as coaches.

I think their downfall is hilarious, so long may it continue.

(Sorry Kloppismydad, this is not meant as a personal attack on you, I've seen a lot people wishing Milan well on here, and can't quite work out why).

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #1922 on: July 7, 2020, 12:05:52 pm »
I'm always surprised by the affection for Milan on here.

Milan are the Man Utd of Italy. Owned by the dodgiest Prime Minister in the modern era, bankrolled by the national broadcaster. Arrogant as f*ck. And now languishing in mid-table after re-drafting all their old players as coaches.

I think their downfall is hilarious, so long may it continue.

(Sorry Kloppismydad, this is not meant as a personal attack on you, I've seen a lot people wishing Milan well on here, and can't quite work out why).
They're an historical club that at times had some of the best players and coaches in the world.

Yes, they used to be owned by one of the worst persons on this planet but he left them (and in a pretty bad state) so it's seems silly to hold it over their heads. And languishing in mid-table under the coaching of a former player could be said about us in the 90s as well.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #1923 on: July 7, 2020, 12:11:09 pm »
They’re the classiest of clubs, changed football for the better right in the sweet spot for our generation (basically those who revere Italia 90), and their influence went on forever.  There’s only a few of those mileposts in football history - Ajax twenty years earlier, Barcelona twenty years later - so of course they mean a lot to a lot of neutrals.  Yeah I wish Berlusconi hadn’t got his claws into them, but that’s not going to be a dealbreaker here like it might be among Italians.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1924 on: July 7, 2020, 12:11:45 pm »
If you want to compare equivalent's it's:

AC Milan - Liverpool
Juventus - Man Utd

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1925 on: July 7, 2020, 12:32:53 pm »

AC Milan - Liverpool
Juventus - Man Utd

Inter - Tranmere
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1926 on: July 7, 2020, 01:18:15 pm »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1927 on: July 7, 2020, 01:20:21 pm »
I had a fondness for Inter when Ronaldo played for them.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1928 on: July 7, 2020, 01:45:34 pm »
I might be wrong but my understanding was that Inter and Juventus are the two sides with support throughout Italy, whereas the others (even Milan) are all primarily local phenomena.  Hence the Derby dell’Italia is Inter-Juve.

So strictly those two are probably the Liverpool and Man Utd of italy, good luck picking one of them to identify with.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1929 on: July 7, 2020, 01:48:03 pm »
I had a fondness for Inter when Ronaldo played for them.
Same, had Ronaldo and old man Roberto Baggio upfront. Shame it was short-lived and not all that good of a combo.

I think Hodgson was their coach at the time

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1930 on: July 7, 2020, 06:50:01 pm »

AC Milan - Liverpool
Juventus - Man Utd

Eh!

Ask any Italian who the team "everyone loves to hate" is and you'll only get one response. To compare them to Liverpool is weird beyond belief. I mean, Milan - the financial capital of Italy, with a political leaning to (very) right. Whilst not currently owned by Berlusconi (corrupt tax-dodging underage prozi shagging political scumbag), he basically created the behemoth that they became during the 80s and 90s, using the power of his media empire and influence to drag them out of obscurity as the original football-club play-thing.

I might be wrong but my understanding was that Inter and Juventus are the two sides with support throughout Italy, whereas the others (even Milan) are all primarily local phenomena.  Hence the Derby dell’Italia is Inter-Juve.

So strictly those two are probably the Liverpool and Man Utd of italy, good luck picking one of them to identify with.

Nah, Milan got all the band-wagoners when they got super-charged by Silvio.

The reality is, due to the geo-political situations in Italy and England (how the North-South divides differ in particular) and the relative success of the football teams, I don't think that kind of comparison works.

For example, Liverpool, as a city, would be far more comparable to Napoli, but obviously Napoli can't really be compared with our results on the pitch.

All the most successful Italian teams have been from the more affluent North.

It has probably changed quite a bit due to Juve's recent dominance, but Milan were always the team everyone loved to hate, and that's why I've always equated them to being "the Man U of Italy". But in reality, the fact that they're the artificially enhanced upstarts, run by an obnoxious wealthy twat, probably makes them more like Chelsea. Liverpool would be Inter. Juve are a bit like Arsenal, just a lot more successful.

Ha! the more I think about it, the more it doesn't work at all!  ;D

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1931 on: July 7, 2020, 07:10:01 pm »
Juve as Arsenal makes no sense to me, especially given their match fixing fiasco. I had admiration for Milan of old, due to their players, managers and European pedigree. They had 10 scudderto's before Berlusconni's arrival in the mid 80s, and they also had 2 European Cups to their name before him as well. So you can't really compare them to Chelsea or City, they were both nothing clubs before their owners came to power.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1932 on: July 7, 2020, 07:49:04 pm »
Juve as Arsenal makes no sense to me, especially given their match fixing fiasco. I had admiration for Milan of old, due to their players, managers and European pedigree. They had 10 scudderto's before Berlusconni's arrival in the mid 80s, and they also had 2 European Cups to their name before him as well. So you can't really compare them to Chelsea or City, they were both nothing clubs before their owners came to power.

Sure, but Milan's only good period prior to Silvio was back in the 60s wasn't it (will go and google it in a mo)? They had been a bit of a mid-table irrelevance for quite some time before Silvio took them on I think.

Plus, Milan were the original "match-fixers" of Italy.

In fact, you'd struggle to find any Italian team with a completely clean history I reckon!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1933 on: July 7, 2020, 08:01:29 pm »
As far as I can tell Milan's golden age (pre-Silvio) was the 1950s, and they only won one Scudetto from 1962 until Silvio took control in 1986, and that was in 1979. Admittedly they did have some success in Europe during this time, but they were certainly not a dominant force.

The Arsenal-Juve comparison was because of the "Old Lady" tag that Juve have - one of the oldest clubs to still be successful, and, generally speaking, not disliked much by the neutrals. But clearly Arsenal have not seen anywhere near as much success as Juve.

It's interesting reading up on all this, I'd never really read up on Italian football before.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1934 on: July 7, 2020, 08:21:20 pm »
Milan are the Chelsea of Italy in the sense that they were the original billionaire sugar daddy club when Berlusconi took them over, they were even relegated not long before Berlusconi took them over. Funny how they haven't won a thing since he stopped putting his money in.

Juve definitely the Man United of Italy. It's telling that for all their domestic dominance they've won less European Cups than Inter and AC Milan.

Inter more like the Arsenal of Italy.

« Last Edit: July 7, 2020, 08:28:40 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1935 on: July 7, 2020, 08:24:29 pm »
As far as I can tell Milan's golden age (pre-Silvio) was the 1950s, and they only won one Scudetto from 1962 until Silvio took control in 1986, and that was in 1979. Admittedly they did have some success in Europe during this time, but they were certainly not a dominant force.

The Arsenal-Juve comparison was because of the "Old Lady" tag that Juve have - one of the oldest clubs to still be successful, and, generally speaking, not disliked much by the neutrals. But clearly Arsenal have not seen anywhere near as much success as Juve.

It's interesting reading up on all this, I'd never really read up on Italian football before.

No of course they weren't a dominant force, I'm not disputing that he didn't help propel them to what they became, but they clearly had pedigree prior to that, where as chelsea and city did not.

Juventus dominated the league where as Arsenal never did [from '71 to '86 they won 9 league titles]They've had at least 3 different time periods where they've dominated the league for a long period of time.

I think overall you are right, it's not possible to compare any of the clubs to the ones here.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1936 on: July 7, 2020, 08:26:44 pm »
Milan are the Chelsea of Italy in the sense that they were the original billionaire sugar daddy club when Berlusconi took them over

Except Milan as already said, had won numerous league titles and 2 European cups before any of that took place. Chelsea never had such a history

Can't even compare Inter to Arsenal as Inter have won the league 18 times, and have 3 European Cups to their name.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1937 on: July 7, 2020, 08:34:38 pm »
Imagine biting someone with VAR around.

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1938 on: July 7, 2020, 08:40:40 pm »
Milan would be Liverpool and Juve would be Man United because Milan used to dominate Italian football under Sacchi and Cappelo and then under Lippi Juve knocked them off their perch. Inter would be Chelsea as they have usually won their trophies under defensive managers like Chelsea have.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1939 on: July 7, 2020, 08:42:06 pm »
Except Milan as already said, had won numerous league titles and 2 European cups before any of that took place. Chelsea never had such a history

Milan were very much in the doldrums though in the 80s, they'd recently been relegated twice. They'd won their share of titles but they were more a Torino or Genoa in terms of a team who'd had a good spell in history but had faded, whereas Juve were very much the main force and Inter had won more and Roma were a force at the time and then Napoli with Diego.

European Cups are the pinnacle but past eras are different to now. Nottingham Forest have 2 European Cups and haven't been in the top flight since the 90s. Hamburg won the European Cup in the 80s and haven't won a thing since. Same with Villa apart from a League Cup or two in 40 years.

Can't even compare Inter to Arsenal as Inter have won the league 18 times, and have 3 European Cups to their name.

There's parallels. Both been in the top flight the longest amount of time and never been relegated. If you take away the few years immediately after Calciopoli Inter haven't won a title since the 80s.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1940 on: July 7, 2020, 08:45:59 pm »
Milan were very much in the doldrums though in the 80s, they'd recently been relegated twice. They'd won their share of titles but they were more a Torino or Genoa in terms of a team who'd had a good spell in history but had faded, whereas Juve were very much the main force and Inter had won more and Roma were a force at the time and then Napoli with Diego.

All that stands, but my point ultimately is that Milan had pedigree and sucess prior to Berlosconi taking charge. They won 2 European cups , which was more than anything Chelsea or City did before their owners.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1941 on: July 7, 2020, 08:52:54 pm »
Milan would be Liverpool and Juve would be Man United because Milan used to dominate Italian football under Sacchi and Cappelo and then under Lippi Juve knocked them off their perch. Inter would be Chelsea as they have usually won their trophies under defensive managers like Chelsea have.

Milan won 6 league titles between 1987 and 1999. Juventus in that same period won 4, so Milan didn't knock off Juventus off their perch, like United did to us. They competed against one  another, where we were miles behind United for much of their period. What Milan did do, is cement themselves in Europe more.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1942 on: July 7, 2020, 08:57:55 pm »
I can see I was coming at this from quite a geo-political point of view, compared to most of you focusing on the number and sequencing of titles. I guess there's a few different ways of looking at it. 

Going back to the original point, I've come to the conclusion that Milan are a Chelsea-Everton hybrid.  :puke2

I'll get out here before it all kicks off  ;D

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1943 on: July 7, 2020, 09:19:01 pm »
Juventus dominated the league where as Arsenal never did
Arsenal did dominate the 1930s to be fair to them.
I think overall you are right, it's not possible to compare any of the clubs to the ones here.
I agree.  Roma are Tottenham though.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1944 on: July 7, 2020, 10:09:40 pm »
Arsenal did dominate the 1930s to be fair to them.I agree.  Roma are Tottenham though.

Yeah. Roma are probably the biggest bottlers/nearly men out of every big club in Europe.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #1945 on: July 7, 2020, 10:15:01 pm »
Juve :lmao
AHA!

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1946 on: July 7, 2020, 10:15:35 pm »
 ;D
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline kloppagetime

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1947 on: July 7, 2020, 10:16:04 pm »
What a comeback from Milan quick cancel the Ragnick deal, Pioli deserves to stay after this game and what they did to Lazio on the weekend.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1948 on: July 7, 2020, 10:17:30 pm »
Wtf is going on?

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1949 on: July 7, 2020, 10:17:45 pm »
AC Milan usually concede 3 in 6 minutes.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1950 on: July 7, 2020, 10:22:21 pm »
Milan are making a strong case of being the Liverpool of Italy right now

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1951 on: July 7, 2020, 10:22:41 pm »
Ibrahimovic still finding ways to be useful even at his age

Offline kloppagetime

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1952 on: July 7, 2020, 10:23:51 pm »
Too bad Lazio and Inter have been shite since the restart so it won't really mean anything in terms of the title race, Lazio had a shocking defeat today against a Lecce team who were bottom of the league and had lost six league games in a row.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1953 on: July 7, 2020, 10:24:35 pm »
Lazio picked a terrible time to collapse.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1954 on: July 7, 2020, 10:28:51 pm »
 :lmao
Idiotic by Sandro.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1955 on: July 7, 2020, 10:29:11 pm »
Milan are making a strong case of being the Liverpool of Italy right now

???

Milan aren't even going to get a Champions League spot and we've just won the league

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1956 on: July 7, 2020, 10:32:13 pm »
???

Milan aren't even going to get a Champions League spot and we've just won the league
I meant right now, by making a comeback victory

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1957 on: July 7, 2020, 10:39:07 pm »
Serie-A has been interesting this season. This game is better than anything the PL has served up since restart barring the Chelsea vs Man City game. Many sides are tactically advanced and Milan are beating Juve's press with ease.

Offline kloppagetime

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1958 on: July 7, 2020, 10:41:53 pm »
Lazio picked a terrible time to collapse.
Juve next league game is against Atalanta and then they would face Sassuolo and Lazio, if Lazio didn't fuck up against basement boys Lecce the title race would have really been on.

Sassuolo are a fun side, like a poor man's Atalanta they score goals for fun and have a really good manager in De Zerbi that would been a really tricky fixture for Juve sandwiched between games against Atlanta the best team in Italy right now and Lazio.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2020, 10:46:09 pm by kloppagetime »

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #1959 on: July 8, 2020, 10:14:42 am »
Imagine biting someone with VAR around.

Thought it showed the sad state of modern footballer instincts that the player felt the need to go down after being bit, as if Patric had snake venom in his fangs ;D