Author Topic: Alright, enough with the negativity and nerves over Wednesday...  (Read 28195 times)

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
Standard Liege are a good side, and obviously it would be mental to go into the game complacent. However, as a famous RAWK poet once said 'This is Anfield on a European Night'. This is our competition, our stage. 'Make us dream' we said, and they did. It is because of the successes of our team and those of the 12th man at Anfield that we now expect to reach the latter stages each year. That expectation is there because we're the dominant force in Europe since 2004/05 - despite the Mancs futile claims otherwise. 2 finals and a semi final in those 4 seasons isn't matched by any other side - just as 5 European Cups is not matched by any English side.

We're not playing well, and that seems to be fuelling the belief that we're in trouble for the second leg. But all we need is that one performance to really fire us up and get us going - and what better time than an evening kick off, a European game, in front of a packed Anfield where we need to win?

Believe.

Support

We are Liverpool FC

Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline FernandoTorrestieri

• Kopite
Re: Alright, enough with the negativity and nerves over Wednesday...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 03:13:03 pm »
But Dudek, Sissoko and Luis Garcia are gone. We got no pedigree no more!

Offline Theman1976

• Main Stander
  • "Non è tutto oro quello che luce"
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 03:16:58 pm »
They have gone but from what i know/feel and love - the players we have always had here on them important occasions are still here.

On that night one thing always springs to my mind "United we stand divided we fall". And i believe that nights like this is what sets us as a team/fan set apart from others and one thing comes with that "Chelsea cant buy that" as our love for our team is real and never ever up for debate world over.

Come on the mighty !!!

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 03:19:52 pm »

It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 03:20:24 pm »
the uefa cup's the way forward.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline Kyle Soprano

• Doing his BTEC Sports Science but still knows fuck all
  • Legacy Fan
  • You & I Are Gonna Live Forever
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 03:21:02 pm »
Great post! this is our competition the stage is set for another great Anfield night.

come on reds!!
I only drink on special occasions. Like Fridays and Saturdays. The occasional Sunday. Sometimes even Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Never Thursday. Well, every so often maybe a Thursday.

Offline Cappadonna

• Main Stander
  • Wuvv.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 03:22:12 pm »
Until we go two goals up I will be shitting myself.
"Javier Mascherano had to play a friendly for Argentina in Australia. That must have been really important." - Rafael Benitez

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan

Offline FernandoTorrestieri

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 03:27:52 pm »
No I take that back. Deep inside I don't see us winning anything but I watch every game and support the team with all my heart and voice.

Cause when you're at the match, it always seems like we can win.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 03:29:11 pm »

Our club is going to test our blood pressures this season like no other time I fear. Hopefully we'll score a brace in the first twenty minutes and calm us all down. I feel though that the lads will do it.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline freedom

• Legacy Fan
  • ♥ You'll never walk alone ♥
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 03:31:51 pm »
Great post -HH-

ALLEZ!!
Bill Shankly: " A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. "

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ LIVERPOOL¤*¨*¤.
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \

Offline James B

• anned.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team o' Caraghers!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 03:31:54 pm »
So basically you want the atmosphere to be good on wednesday night?

Deep inside I don't see us winning anything but I watch every game and support the team with all my heart and voice.

Cause when you're at the match, it always seems like we can win.

Likewise.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 03:33:59 pm by JB3 »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 03:33:10 pm »
Until we go two goals up I will be shitting myself.

Stop with the negative vibes...

Offline Perkins

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepare to be Skrtelised
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 03:33:12 pm »
I think the embarrassment of the first leg is still fresh in the mind, and hopefully Mascherano will be back in the team. We need him to negate the Liege midfield and for me Damien isn't good enough to be left in next to Alonso in the midfield and I doubt he will play in this game. And also you want Gerrard to be free to do what he does best.

For me in the first leg, the ball was bypassing our midfield, Liverpool under Rafa seem to boss midfield battles and from their the rest of the team can do their business. So I hope Mascerano does start.
To avoid murdering each other, you'll have to keep yourselves anaesthetised with DVD boxsets and the occasional holiday. Life partner? Joy thief, more like

Offline cjc9020801Beverly Hills

• Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team of Carraghers
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 03:36:06 pm »
This is very dodgy - we simply HAVE to score first, else Liege will put the team bus in front of the goal, we will panic and concede a second , aka Benfica.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 03:36:12 pm »
Masch will not be playing against Liege.

But i still have 100% confidence that we will beat Standard Liege at Anfield. If we cannot do that then we do not deserve to move on to the next stage. But that is irrelevant because it simply must happen.

Offline robbie96

• Legacy Fan
  • Cometh the hour, Cometh the man!
Iain Macintosh via Twitter:
Bosingwa almost starts a riot by getting subbed and trudging off the pitch like a old border collie making his final trip to the vet.

Offline xabi rules

• out winning title with Liverpool
  • Kopite
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 03:38:14 pm »
Apparently, Mascherano will not be in the squad for Standard Liege.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/08/25/returning-javier-mascherano-set-to-miss-liege-clash-64375-21600187/

Returning Javier Mascherano set to miss Liege clash

Aug 25 2008

Javier Mascherano is unlikely to be involved in Liverpool’s Champions League crunch tie against Standard Liege on Wednesday.

Mascherano led Argentina to a second consecutive Olympic title in Beijing after his country retained their crown by beating Nigeria in the football final and he is heading back to Merseyside after his triumph.

The 24-year-old midfielder was due to leave China at the weekend, but boss Rafael Benitez does not think he will be prepared enough to face the Belgian champions at Anfield in the third qualifying round, second-leg tie.

The match is poised at 0-0 after Liverpool’s alarmingly poor performance a fortnight ago in the first leg in Belgium.

The Reds stand on the brink of losing a minimum of £10million prize money from UEFA if they fail to qualify for the group stages.

Benitez said: “Javier will be back with us soon. But I do not think he will be in contention to play in Europe.

“He has spent too much time travelling and playing, that makes it difficult to be at your best.

“The same thing applied to Ryan Babel. He returned from China last week after Holland were knocked out, but I only really considered him as a substitute at the weekend.”

Babel came on for the final 25 minutes of Saturday’s 2-1 home win over Middlesbrough, but looked short of fitness.

Brazilian midfielder Lucas has also returned to Liverpool from the Olympics.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 03:40:57 pm by xabi rules »
'' I'd like to think that I have put more into the game than I have taken out. And that I haven‘t cheated anybody, that I've been working for people honestly all along the line, for the people of Liverpool who go to Anfield. I'd like to be recognised for trying to give them entertainment.''

The great Bill Shankly

Offline James B

• anned.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team o' Caraghers!
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 03:38:43 pm »
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BgtJwf4dK1A

That's a quality video, couldn't stop watching it when it was first made. Shame we couldn't win number 6 in Athens :(

Offline robbie96

• Legacy Fan
  • Cometh the hour, Cometh the man!
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 03:45:07 pm »
Come on ya REDS - HH is right - Let us have FAITH , Let us BELIEVE , Let us make this the YEAR - Let us take number NINETEEN & number SIX - Let us hear YNWA sung at full voice on Wednesday night - Let the TWELFTH MAN OF ANFIELD be heard on that night - IN RAFA WE TRUST  :wave
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 03:49:29 pm by robbie96 »
Iain Macintosh via Twitter:
Bosingwa almost starts a riot by getting subbed and trudging off the pitch like a old border collie making his final trip to the vet.

Offline Perkins

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepare to be Skrtelised
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 03:48:33 pm »
Masch will not be playing against Liege.

But i still have 100% confidence that we will beat Standard Liege at Anfield. If we cannot do that then we do not deserve to move on to the next stage. But that is irrelevant because it simply must happen.

Don't I look a bit silly now Mascherano isn't in the squad  :)

As for the game, I think Gerrard and Alonso in the middle then, but the midfield needs to be controlled no doubt about that. When Gerrard came on in the first leg it gave Liege something to think about.
To avoid murdering each other, you'll have to keep yourselves anaesthetised with DVD boxsets and the occasional holiday. Life partner? Joy thief, more like

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 03:59:36 pm »
So basically you want the atmosphere to be good on wednesday night?

It'd be nice but it wasn't the whole point.

The main point was that everyone seems to be convinced we're going out when history, both recent and otherwise will suggest that we're going through.

Obviously those chances will increase with a high tempo start and a good atmosphere.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 04:00:50 pm »
i`ll feel better if i see sami`s name on the teamsheet, they looked more than useful in the air.
carragher can hold his own in the air but even he was struggling at their place, agger was just flat out rattled especially by the tall lad with the afro.
saying that another ref could have sent a couple of their players off in the first leg, i lost count of the number of times their centre forward went in late on our players (infact about 3 seconds after they had passed the ball)

hoonin

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 04:05:31 pm »
We're not playing well, and that seems to be fuelling the belief that we're in trouble for the second leg. But all we need is that one performance to really fire us up and get us going - and what better time than an evening kick off, a European game, in front of a packed Anfield where we need to win?

Oddly enough I've just finished re-watching last seasons CL quarter final 2nd leg - one of our finest performances under Benitez and against a very good Arsenal side. It was also one of 'them' nights you tend to get in the later rounds as the pressure builds and the teams are in full stride.

It would be nice to have one of them against Liege, but I'd take an edgy late win, which is what I think it will be from recent history in this unique type of game. There's so much at stake with an under cooked team and the crowd tends to transmit a bit of that as we know they can be hard.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 04:09:07 pm »
I love these posts just before big games that combine a few carefully chosen with some poignant pictures and videos that simply pump you up.

Good on ya, HH. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 04:11:51 pm »
It would be nice to have one of them against Liege, but I'd take an edgy late win, which is what I think it will be from recent history in this unique type of game. There's so much at stake with an under cooked team and the crowd tends to transmit a bit of that as we know they can be hard.

The crowd can absolutely transmit nerves, but if we can produce a performance it'll be a building block for the season.

I think we'd all take an edgy win given the stakes involved, but if there was ever a stage for us to raise our game (which we need to sooner or later) this is it.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 04:18:32 pm »
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Brilliant, that's my sig

Offline bobapcoed

• Main Stander
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 04:24:42 pm »
Barcelona, Juventus, Olympiakos, Inter Milanx2, Chelsea, St Ettienne, Bayern Munich,Celtic. Been there, done it, and we'll do it again.

Offline stevie h g

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 04:34:23 pm »
Scary night, but surely we're good enough to beat these at home. I wish Masc was ready to play though.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 04:35:45 pm »
I must say, I thought it was sounded quite flat on Saturday and the only time the Crowd seemed to get really going was the period after Carra scored the equalizing goal and I really do believe that the crowd has a direct effect on how the team plays and I think that given the importance of the game at hand, we must really take the roof off again.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Guaranga

• not happy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 04:38:08 pm »
I must say, I thought it was sounded quite flat on Saturday and the only time the Crowd seemed to get really going was the period after Carra scored the equalizing goal and I really do believe that the crowd has a direct effect on how the team plays and I think that given the importance of the game at hand, we must really take the roof off again.

Will you be there?

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 04:40:55 pm »
Will you be there?

No.  So, I suppose I really worded my post wrong.  Sorry about that.

Offline maher

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone..
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 04:44:49 pm »
great post
well said mate

come on you Mighty Reds :scarf

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 04:52:22 pm »
I thought all this negativity was just one big massive 'in joke' on here!

Fear not, Anfield will be rocking on Wenesday and the lads will do us proud.
They all know what's at stake, thing is we never seem to do it the easy way,
so expect a few nervy moments but we will prevail in the end.

More positivity is needed...I fancy Keane to open his account for us in front of the Kop.

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2008, 05:02:58 pm »
-HH- 

Way to go.

Should be a cracking night again.

Those fortunate enough to go can sing for those of us who can't.  :wave
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Jefecito - Little Chief

• Main Stander
  • All Hail King Carra !!
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 05:05:54 pm »
if we cant beat Leige Rafa deserves the boot.

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2008, 05:06:14 pm »
Let us hear YNWA sung at full voice on Wednesday night

Let us hear YNWA being played before the players come out!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:08:37 pm by choi »

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2008, 05:09:04 pm »

Lucky Pepe saved that peno then or we'd have little Sammy in charge.

::)

Oh and it's Liege.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2008, 05:19:57 pm »

yeah lets get rid of a man who has taken us to 2 finals and 3 semi finals in 4 years.
even the other year we were beaten in the knockout stages which would have constituted a good run in the days before rafa.
infact we are probably due a `widzew lodz` result.

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2008, 05:28:22 pm »
Let us hear YNWA being played before the players come out!

as they come out
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:43:20 pm by Rome-77 »