Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
I think secretly there is a small but noisey section of this forum who would like us to be a sportswashing project with unlimited wealth.

Oh, definitely, it's implicit in some posts even if not mentioned explicitly.
I'm simply looking at managers who recently (or little less recently) moved away from the Eredivisie and tried their luck elsewhere. And the success rate isn't great. Is it an indicator for Slot? Not really, but one way you're gonna look at it is to compare with other managers from the same league.

It does depend a lot on the nature of the tactics.

One of the interesting postmortems of Ten Hag at Manchester United was that his tactics are too open - playing a sole pivot, pushing his fullbacks up to overload, a brand of possession football relying on transitions and pressing, with a sweeper keeper keeping a high line at the back. It worked in the Eredivisie because the quality of opposition he would face were not physical, not athletic, not mobile enough to take advantage of the gaps that such a tactic leaves behind.

Ten Hag has brought that same tactical setup to Manchester United and the BPL and this has resulted in Manchester United conceding, on a per-game basis, the highest or close to joint highest number of shots on goal in the league. Teams in this league are fitter, more tactically savvy, and are far quicker to exploit the gaps left behind by fullbacks pushing up with a sole pivot as a creative destroyer type 6. It's far too open, and teams have figured it out and are exploiting it accordingly. This is Ten Hag being stubborn but Manchester United are one of if not the most porous team in the BPL as things stand.

The good thing for the Slotter is that he will have seen first-hand how such tactics translate, and he has a recent cautionary tale to guard against this.
Well this is more like it.

I've managed 2 full days outside, not warm but calm, dry and sunny enough to enjoy some gardening and eat tea outside tonight.

More of this please weather gods 👍

You're lucky. I ran out of salt for cloud seeding.
That's actually a fairly reasonable post for once.

On the bolded bit, I'd agree, Arsenal have been the strongest team overall - they've had a lot of breaks with both the lack of injuries compared to their rivals, as well as the timing of when they've faced opposition teams, but it's hard to dispute they've played the best football.

But also as you said, only the table matters. I'd argue Liverpool were the best team in both 2013-14 and 2018-19, and on neither of those occasions did we end up champions. One thing I've learned is that a feeling of destiny or deserving it doesn't matter when City are around. They'll kill your dreams when you think they're about to be realised.

Having said all that, City aren't quite the same this year. I have a feeling Arsenal will win it.

Unfortunately I think City will be as robotic as ever and win all their games. What would be worse though is if they do drop points and we dont take advantage so we need to keep winning and see what happens, same applies for Liverpool.
Something I find funny but I am slightly weird, people talk about the Dutch league like it's a second rate one to criticise Slot, yet our own Pep failed there with NEC and there are calls for him to step up..
Worst part is it's just people setting themselves up for years and years of "I told you so" posts if for whatever reason the new manager doesn't work out.

Can I have a told you so? I did predict that the manager wouldn't be any of those being talked about.  ;)
And that they'd all be throwing tantrums because we're "missing out" on the names they are demanding be signed. It's the same in the transfer window for players. Someone mentions a name, said name gets discussed, they get excited, they seem 100% sure we are going to bid for the player, then when we sign someone else or the club just aren't interested, it's "why didn't we sign X, he's better than Y" for the rest of the window and even during the season after a game we don't win.

But being serious, some of the entitlement and dummy spitting in that thread is embarrassing. Acting like the entitled fans, we usually mock, of the likes of City or even Everton. Even some wanting Mourinho because he's a big name and it would be "cinema".
Nor does any club except those being sportswashed or loaded with unsustainable debt.

I think secretly there is a small but noisey section of this forum who would like us to be a sportswashing project with unlimited wealth.
News and Current Affairs / Re: Never mind 'Stop the Boats' - STOP THE TORIES
« Last post by TSC on Today at 07:47:37 am »
UK is on a ‘war footing’ is the latest nonsense peddled by the desperado’s.  The man of many identities, Grant Shapps, being challenged on sky news now on the fact that much of the funding proposed for defence is not new.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/pm-sunak-we-will-put-the-uk-defence-industry-on-a-war-footing/ar-AA1nwdlZ
We don't have billions btw   :D
We do have one of the highest wage bills in the sport. And and an iconic stadium, the chance to play in front of fans famed for getting behind their team (arf), in a city world-renowned for it's football culture.

We also have the good fortune to have a current manager who resigned rather than get sacked, a squad that's been assembled by a best in class recruitment team, that's fighting for the title and train in world class facilities.

But, just like the transfer forum, we have posters who would have snide digs at a manager who hasn't even signed because he's not their choice.
I'm simply looking at managers who recently (or little less recently) moved away from the Eredivisie and tried their luck elsewhere. And the success rate isn't great. Is it an indicator for Slot? Not really, but one way you're gonna look at it is to compare with other managers from the same league.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10