Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 370887 times)

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Television buying
« Reply #4680 on: February 27, 2015, 08:25:06 am »
I don't know if anybody can help me out. Simple question really...

Can you watch normal, live, terrestrial TV on a Smart TV WITHOUT an aerial plugged into the back of the TV?

You should be able to watch live channels through iplayer, itv player, etc. You can watch them like that on a computer so I don't see why it wouldn't work on the TV app.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #4681 on: February 27, 2015, 11:00:24 am »
Only if it is connected to the Internet.

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #4683 on: February 28, 2015, 08:29:40 pm »
The LG Review:

https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-lb700-42lb700-42lb700v-42-lb700v-full-hd-led-lcd-tv-review.10481

The Samsung Review:

https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-h6700-ue-40-48-55-h6700-tv-review.10496
(this has a slight model number variance, because the one you posted is a currys exclusive.  The one above is the same model essentially)

I haven't read them yet, so you'll have to read them :)

Offline Samio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4684 on: February 28, 2015, 09:25:55 pm »
Cheers Walshy! Like speed dial for TV queries with you :wave :wave :wave

Offline Samio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4685 on: February 28, 2015, 10:09:56 pm »
LG it is!

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #4686 on: May 13, 2015, 11:45:39 am »
Guys, anyone got the Samsung 6440 TV? I'm about to get the 48" one.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #4687 on: May 21, 2015, 09:19:08 am »
Looking at 2 tvs to mount on wall in small back room. both 32inch one of the following two - price the same give or take a fiver.

Samsung UE325500
or
LG LB32650V

anyone have a preference? Ive got the previous samsung model witout smart features but want something for youtube but not too bothered about 3D which the LG has but might as well have it if the models are similar. In my head Ihave the LG as the better set but nothing to back that up.

cant find a comparision review between the two so any advice would be helpful

Offline Sh0rty

• Kopite
« Reply #4688 on: May 21, 2015, 09:51:27 am »
with samsungs i would always recommend series 7 and above if possible as they are upgradable

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #4689 on: May 21, 2015, 01:36:12 pm »
with samsungs i would always recommend series 7 and above if possible as they are upgradable

cheers plumped for the LG after reading a few reviews, samsung seemed the lower end of the scale and LG one more mid range so gone for that. I know that they are both last years models but its only for the back living room which we are going to use as a toy room really for the baby. got a good price match with A0.com from £399 to £256.

Offline gerrard88

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #4690 on: May 30, 2015, 12:07:33 pm »
Have a toshiba 32inch led hd tv.
When i mute the TV i hear a annoying humming noise

Any ideas anyone?
Allez Allez Allez

Offline portRUSHred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4691 on: May 30, 2015, 04:07:39 pm »

Any ideas anyone?
Do u suffer from tinnitus? :wave

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4692 on: June 7, 2015, 04:37:03 pm »
Bloody hell....

I've had a 28 inch Phillips for about eight years....

I've just gone out and bought a 48 inch Bravia...

I'm fucking terrified.....

I might have to knock a wall down to get away from it....

Bloody hell though... Sport in HD is brilliant on it, you could scarcely notice on the Phillips... But on this monster.... Wow!

The grand prix is amaaazing
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #4693 on: June 7, 2015, 11:36:41 pm »

Any ideas anyone?
The wife?

Offline gerrard88

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #4694 on: June 8, 2015, 07:48:29 am »
The wife?

So i swapped it for a 32inch LG. WAY better than the Toshiba one

Had to play around with the settings a bit to get the best pic for sky hd

Overall impressed with it
Allez Allez Allez

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #4695 on: June 8, 2015, 08:23:24 am »
Nice one Tepid - always exciting getting a new TV.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #4696 on: July 8, 2015, 04:07:48 pm »
So I thinking of going 4k in the new year and wondered if the officinadoes in here have any recommendations?

It is too early to be jumping on this ship?

Ideally I'd like a 4K OLED 65" TV with HDMI 2.0 for around the £2k mark but I'm probably not being realistic...

If I'm buying this for 4k 60fps gaming, what do I need to be looking for? Is it just HDMI 2.0? Do I need to hang on/look for any other updates/innovations/hardware improvements?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4697 on: July 8, 2015, 04:31:53 pm »
I am no longer afraid of my television btw...

It's really cool...  Great for films, an immersive experience...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4698 on: July 8, 2015, 04:43:09 pm »
I am no longer afraid of my television btw...

It's really cool...  Great for films, an immersive experience...

Try it with a high def movie, something like Gravity. Picture quality on the new Sony TVs is stunning. Just 2-3 years ago you'd be spending 5k plus for what you can get now for 800-1000.

Offline Cruicky

• Anny Roader
  • Moves like Agger
« Reply #4699 on: July 8, 2015, 05:03:52 pm »
Picked up the 55" W829 Bravia. 

Honestly replaying so many games as it just feels like a totally different experience.  Looking forward seeing UFC at the weekend on it.
I'm very aroused.

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4700 on: July 8, 2015, 05:55:08 pm »
I've just bought an LG smart tv. Its an LB630V. Can i link it to my iphone 4s and if i can. how do i do it? Cheers in advance.

Offline Cruicky

• Anny Roader
  • Moves like Agger
« Reply #4701 on: July 8, 2015, 09:33:35 pm »
I've just bought an LG smart tv. Its an LB630V. Can i link it to my iphone 4s and if i can. how do i do it? Cheers in advance.
Probably not.  When I had my iPhone, it would only link up with Apple TV.

Best thing you can probably do is connect your phone up to the YouTube TV app in the "pair" section so you can select videos on YouTube from your phone and play them on the TV.
I'm very aroused.

Offline IanMac

• Oldest under 16 in the Halliwell Jones
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4702 on: August 25, 2015, 08:38:52 am »
A new house means i can finally upgrade my TV. My Panasonic TH37PX60 has been a great friend but it is time to upgrade.
Is there anything i need to look out for these days in terms of future proofing my purchase? I've no idea who the leading brands are anymore, a sure sign of getting old.

I've got my eye on this Panny http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/panasonic-viera-tx-55cx400b-smart-3d-ultra-hd-4k-55-led-tv-10132386-pdt.html but would be interested to know peoples thoughts? Any others i should be considering?

Offline Sh0rty

• Kopite
« Reply #4703 on: August 25, 2015, 09:22:38 am »
A new house means i can finally upgrade my TV. My Panasonic TH37PX60 has been a great friend but it is time to upgrade.
Is there anything i need to look out for these days in terms of future proofing my purchase? I've no idea who the leading brands are anymore, a sure sign of getting old.

I've got my eye on this Panny http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/panasonic-viera-tx-55cx400b-smart-3d-ultra-hd-4k-55-led-tv-10132386-pdt.html but would be interested to know peoples thoughts? Any others i should be considering?

I dont touch anything but samsungs any more personally never had any issues with them and they seem to cater for all budgets

Offline IanMac

• Oldest under 16 in the Halliwell Jones
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4704 on: August 25, 2015, 03:21:29 pm »
I dont touch anything but samsungs any more personally never had any issues with them and they seem to cater for all budgets
Cheers, will take a look. When i bought the Panasonic they were head and shoulders above everybody else. Will take a look but will be hard to go to somebody else!

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #4705 on: August 28, 2015, 04:31:31 pm »
.....Is there anything i need to look out for these days in terms of future proofing my purchase? I've no idea who the leading brands are anymore....

Panasonics are now re-branded budget Turkish TVs.

Samsung are currently the best quality and value-for-money TV sets available with LG and Sony tailing along behind.

If you are in the market for a new TV the decision is whether or not to buy a 4K set for UltraHD which is being introduced (although quite slowly.)

4K sets are much more expensive (roughly twice the price) than full HD sets but the picture quality is very noticably improved. Lack of content is the main issue at present but BT have Sports available in 4K right now, Sky will be introducing SkyQ 4k boxes soon  and Netfix and uTube have movies available in 4k also.

Beware that 4k Ultra HD is totally dependent upon high speed phone line access and not everybody has access to upgraded  fibre optic phone lines. BT will advise you further if your phone line is suitable.

The choice you need to make is whether or not to buy a FullHD set and save loads but risk it being outdated within a coiuple of years or bite the bullet and buy a 4k TV now which is future-proofed.

Whichever decision you come to, make sure it's a Samsung but do your research and visit a store for demonstrations first.
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4706 on: September 1, 2015, 09:05:03 pm »
Can you buy tv's, mainly smaller ones (about 22-32 inches) that can record tv shows direct to the tv without a recording set top box? Want to install one of these in my kitchen.

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4707 on: September 7, 2015, 04:45:16 pm »
Can you buy tv's, mainly smaller ones (about 22-32 inches) that can record tv shows direct to the tv without a recording set top box? Want to install one of these in my kitchen.

Digital TV Recorders are the same as Set Top Boxes but with the advantage of being able to record and store  programmes, and pause or rewind a channel to the point at which you started watching.

Depending on how you receive your TV – terrestrial aerial, cable or satellite – there are different Digital TV Recorders available.

http://www.shopping.net/results/query?cateid=229&q=digital+tv+recorders&gclid=CjwKEAjw67SvBRC1m5zPv4GboAUSJAB6MJlkMuSovPtwDSe8P8jbpIrdxw1EQ4k_t9JRyGUCim9Z2BoC7YHw_wcB

« Last Edit: September 7, 2015, 04:47:00 pm by eAyeAddio »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4708 on: September 10, 2015, 06:35:20 pm »

Sorry, not looked at tellys since we got our panny 2 years ago, since when?

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #4709 on: September 10, 2015, 11:07:59 pm »

Samsung are currently the best quality and value-for-money TV sets available with LG and Sony tailing along behind.

:lmao

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4710 on: September 10, 2015, 11:16:35 pm »
Bought my daughter a Samsung smart tv for Christmas before last and yesterday it just 'popped' and now doesnt even turn on.

In short Samsung are shite.

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #4711 on: September 23, 2015, 01:10:08 pm »
Hi guys, I recently purchased this tv - http://www.sony.com.au/product/kdl-43w800c

So far so great ... but I'm having one real annoying issue with it.

While I'm watching something (EG Netflix) there are issues with the brightness/contrast of the screen.

When I'm watching a tv show/movie, if there is a period of no dialog between characters the brightness/contrast of the tv becomes darker ... and then when there is dialog, the picture suddenly becomes brighter until the dialog ceases.

I've tried to research this online but to no avail - has anyone encountered this before?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 01:14:01 pm by Roopy »

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #4712 on: September 23, 2015, 07:16:16 pm »
Sounds like Dynamic Dimming or Dynamic Contrast.  I would search through your settings to make sure there is nothing gimmick set to on.
It is mentioned in this review: https://www.avforums.com/review/sony-w80-kdl-47w805a-3d-led-lcd-tv-review.552 which may help you reduce the majority of it.

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #4713 on: September 26, 2015, 05:06:34 am »
Sounds like Dynamic Dimming or Dynamic Contrast.  I would search through your settings to make sure there is nothing gimmick set to on.
It is mentioned in this review: https://www.avforums.com/review/sony-w80-kdl-47w805a-3d-led-lcd-tv-review.552 which may help you reduce the majority of it.

Cheers for that ... have looked into it and tried all the tips I've found online ... but no luck so far :(

It really is f'ing annoying!

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4714 on: September 26, 2015, 08:08:31 am »
Cheers for that ... have looked into it and tried all the tips I've found online ... but no luck so far :(

It really is f'ing annoying!

It could also be the Eco setting, which adjust the backlight.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4715 on: September 26, 2015, 01:41:35 pm »
Just got a Samsung, UHD 48" Smart 4K 6500 series tv for the bedroom. Really liking it so far. 4 HDMI inputs which makes my life a pleasure and it reads my GoFlex external no problem and seems to play everything on it.

Very happy.

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4716 on: September 27, 2015, 12:23:45 am »
Sorry, not looked at tellys since we got our panny 2 years ago, since when?

Panasonic has joined Toshiba, Sharp, Hitachi and many others to source their TVs from Vestel.

Panasonic now use two assembly plants, one in Turkey and one in Slovakia.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4717 on: September 30, 2015, 05:30:37 am »
Got myself a new TV yesterday been watching 4K videos on youtube totally stunning.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 05:32:50 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4718 on: September 30, 2015, 10:04:30 am »
Had my 50" LG HD 1080P PLASMA TV WITH FREEVIEW HD, 600HZ, 4 X HDMI AND USB CONNECTIVITY for 5 years now. Cost me £649 when I bought it so defo had good value for money. Still works fine, suffers from a bit of image burn but that doesn't really bother me.

*Gets home and TV has blown up*

Offline SheikhMo

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #4719 on: November 9, 2015, 07:30:44 pm »
Thinking about getting a 4K tv now. Should I go for an LED one or is it worth waiting until OLED becomes a bit cheaper?
"If you're struggling in a game you can either do two things, send your centre back (Robert Huth) up front as a centre forward or use Luis Garcia between the lines." - Rafa Benitez