Author Topic: We’ve Got The Dreamers’ Disease  (Read 5104 times)

Offline Lacey

• Nude erudite biscuits
  • Kopite
  • Where were you the night Kop Magic rose again?
We’ve Got The Dreamers’ Disease
« on: September 19, 2006, 08:39:54 pm »
Welcome to no-mans land. The abyss. That space between two places that no-one quite understands.

25th May, 2005

The symbol of the impending end of 15 years of hurt? Rafa proving his reputation as a minute miracle man, the man who de-throned Real Madrid and Barca in one season at Valencia, had managed to win the Champions League with Liverpool in a season, the re-throning of a giant awaits surely…A city holds it’s collective breath.

13th May, 2006

No Premiership title, but a year of hard grafting, scrapping, left us as close nearly rans, an astonishing 28 points closer to Champions Chelsea and with another big cup under the belt of Rafael Benitez, this time in the form of the F.A. Cup. We believed again. 16 years we waited, we worked, we dreamed, 16 years and now as the time neared we….jumped the gun?

A summer signing spree, mainly focusing on the injection of pace and attacking flair and quality into a rugged defensive team possibly further ballooned beliefs, egos even? We were back after all, and now the world would have to bow back down to us…surely? We are..not QUITE there yet I am sorry to say.

An excellent defensive team, solid, unbreakable at times, we even rivaled Chelsea for clean sheets last year. This year, 4 first team attackers added, anticipation reached fever pitch. This was it..surely. So why now, even at this early stage, do so many of us feel that unfathomable sinking feeling? That anti-climax. Like our dream is not quite going to plan.

That is not to say of course, that it’s all gone to pot, but there is that uncomfortable feeling around that we are not quite reaching our potential again, we have been here before lest we forget….STOP!!!...patience. Patience is the most important virtue for a fan at the moment. We have our solid base at the back, we have the players to add the flair, width and pace up front, all the ingredients are there…and yet no fireworks I hear you say? The single most important word in Rafael Benitez’s vocabulary, and it should be in yours, get a pen and paper, I want you to remember this, here in lies the secret of Rafa’s success, what he is looking to create at Liverpool, what he’s been telling us all along…Balance. Balance is the key.

Defensive? Attacking? Nay! …say ‘Balanced’

As a team, we have had our character defined and redefined so many times, by so many people. The press, rival managers, past managers, past players, current players, rival fans, pundits and ourselves alike. For the last 7 or so years Lfc has been a club without a style, and a lot of people ready to label us. Under Gerard Houllier we were a defensive and boring team. In Benitez’s first two seasons we were probably the most effective defensive team in England, not boring but alas, not Barcelona. However, this season our label is changing to a much more attacking team they say, more willing to throw caution to the wind they say. 4 new attackers in the starting 11, pace, width and excitement, and yes, our defence does seem somewhat more frail as a result, but now we are focused on attack, we are developing an attacking team…right?

Nay. We must surely show Rafael Benitez more respect than to openly believe that after two years, he would completely change his approach, dismiss all the gradual building he had done to create his defensive side. So what then? We are not developing an attacking team, we are developing an attacking side, to a BALANCED team. You want a label for the Liverpool fc of the early 21st century? Balanced, perfectly. Benitez has at times tried to keep our sights in focus, however following the long wait, and the excitement of the last two years perhaps we may be excused for getting a bit ahead of ourselves. We asked Benitez in an online interview, ‘is this Liverpool team as good as your Valencia team was? Or better even?’ to which Rafa summised, without hesitation or deliberation.. “no. absolutely not. Not yet”

Are we striving for a superbly defensive, efficient side? No. Are we striving for a quick, innovative side? No. We are looking for the balance between. A team that moves fluidly from intelligent, solid defending to quick, slick, wham bam attacking football.  We are no team of superstars, we are a collection of grafters, even our attacking players are those who have displayed their fire, their desire and willingness to throw everything they have at teams. Work till their socks are stained with Liverpool’s blood.

Are we as good as Valencia were, not a chance, those of you who remember ‘those games’ when we got a taste of a rafalution before our own one was ever dreamt showed us a level of football we have still yet to achieve. But that is our aim. Is this another optimist on a delayal quest, oh maybe in another 2 years we might be closer we say…no, we are there…we are so close we can almost touch it…but we must not yet expect it. We have reached the fine tuning and tweaking stage of the Rafalution. The point at which Rafa has his team, Rafa has his staff, Rafa has his backing…now we just need to be focused on our jobs, it is only now that Rafa will look to unleash his very own brand of football upon the Premiership. Why wait? Because we weren’t ready, simple as.

Are we going to be boring, oh god no, Rafa’s kind of football is really, some of the best in the world. It is Special. It takes a great level of understanding, belief, work-rate and talent to be able to play it. But we are there now. It is now we can be allowed to play with freedom, play with style, play with conviction, courage, intelligence…in all truth; ‘Rafa’s football’ is no more than an extension of the man himself. It is beautiful football. We saw that at Valencia, if you were too young, or perhaps never took the time to see what Rafa had done before now, you may not know what to expect, but by god you will love it.

The time for belief is now, but alas again we build this momentum of belief and get ahead of ourselves, jump the gun, over step the boundary. We won the Champions league, for a number of reasons, but find me someone that can honestly tell me he doesn’t believe that the belief and passion instilled by the ‘12th man’ didn’t play a BIG part. We must not lose sight of our jobs as fans. Moaning and groaning when things don’t quite work for us now is not the answer, we are not there yet, and Rafa would probably tell you we have proved nothing yet. If we lose the 12th man we weaken ourselves. Sections of us do seem to have contracted the ‘Dreamers Disease’ the belief that we should be one step ahead of where we are, and to trip over ourselves as we go seems unimaginable.

We’re close, very close. Dreams are nearing reality. But not yet, not yet.

© Lacey 2006
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 10:05:26 am by Rushian »
"What you have just experienced, You Will NEVER understand" -

Liverpool fc, We walk and leave Shadows of Greatness, Live among Dreams, and lie deep within your nightmares...waiting.

Offline tazman74

• Main Stander
  • We won it six times whisky nose!
Re: We’ve Got The Dreamers’ Disease
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 08:53:42 pm »
Well said sir!

The last thing needed is the crowd beginning to get on the team's back especially on Wednesday. The boys need the Kop in full voice for these next two games.

Have faith people............
My old man said be a Man U fan,
I said 'Fuck off bollocks, you're a c*nt!'

Offline Lacey

• Nude erudite biscuits
  • Kopite
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 09:14:46 pm »
Well said sir!

The last thing needed is the crowd beginning to get on the team's back especially on Wednesday. The boys need the Kop in full voice for these next two games.

Have faith people............

Thank you for the support, however this is not really designed to attack fans who may be turning, that would be to describe us a fickle bunch really wouldnt it.

nay, its more to say maybe we were wrong to expect the title this year..we jumped the gun a bit, but it's not the end of the world that were not gonna run past teams like chelsea just yet.

Liverpool fc, We walk and leave Shadows of Greatness, Live among Dreams, and lie deep within your nightmares...waiting.

Offline mushi007

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 10:13:25 pm »
Thank You Sir,

I was down very down but now i see the future.

YNWA

Offline Zverko

• Kopite
  • keep it simple stupid
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 10:26:08 pm »
Welcome to no-mans land. The abyss. That space between two places that no-one quite understands.
Are we as good as Valencia were, not a chance, those of you who remember ‘those games’ when we got a taste of a rafalution before our own one was ever dreamt showed us a level of football we have still yet to achieve. But that is our aim. Is this another optimist on a delayal quest, oh maybe in another 2 years we might be closer we say…no, we are there…we are so close we can almost touch it…but we must not yet expect it. We have reached the fine tuning and tweaking stage of the Rafalution. The point at which Rafa has his team, Rafa has his staff, Rafa has his backing…now we just need to be focused on our jobs, it is only now that Rafa will look to unleash his very own brand of football upon the Premiership. Why wait? Because we weren’t ready, simple as.

Are we going to be boring, oh god no, Rafa’s kind of football is really, some of the best in the world. It is Special. It takes a great level of understanding, belief, work-rate and talent to be able to play it. But we are there now. It is now we can be allowed to play with freedom, play with style, play with conviction, courage, intelligence…in all truth; ‘Rafa’s football’ is no more than an extension of the man himself. It is beautiful football. We saw that at Valencia, if you were too young, or perhaps never took the time to see what Rafa had done before now, you may not know what to expect, but by god you will love it.

Excellent post.  I remember those games, and his Valencia side.... What a perfect team, they simply always looked like winning.  And these times will come, I know it.   And I'm sooooo much looking forward to it, that it makes it difficult to wait.... Although I hell well know it will be worth it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 10:33:29 pm by Zverko »
The King: "The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here"

Offline Sweet Silver Song

• Rotation, rotation, rotation....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Proud not to be a hypocrite...
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 10:52:49 pm »
Great post. What I liked about the Valencia team was that in the two mathes we palyed them in, they were the best defensive team we played during Houillier's reign. But, more than that, they were the best attacking team we played.

This is where Rafa wants to get us to. I think he was asked last season where he saw us, and Rafa replied that we were 70% of way to what he had in mind. Maybe this season we will go up a notch to about 80%. The title may not come this season, but I feel our period of wait is nearly over. We need to keep a hold of this guy, and not distract him from his task. Without him to manage us, it may take a futher 17 years or more.
*With such simplicity the European cup is won.
**Sour-ness, will he get a shot? Now Dalglish...across the face of the goaaaalllll!
***Alan Kennedy!...He goes on...he scores!
****Liverpool need a Grobbelaar save...or a Conti miss. They've got a Conti miss!
*****And Liverpool have won it! They're back...outsiders all the way...

Offline the BIG fella

• Kopite
  • What We Achieve in Life, Echoes in Eternity
    • The RUSH Band - Manchester Live Wedding and Corporate Band UK
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 02:45:23 am »
What a fabulous post.

Can't wait for the game now.
To book bands and live music visit
http://www.bandtube.co.uk

Equally if you need an amazing band for any Wedding or Event
The RUSH Band
http://www.therushband.co.uk
Listen - https://soundcloud.com/therushband

Offline mr_mad_master

• Posts Utter Shite
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mwa
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 03:20:22 am »
thought this was going to be a 'stop dreaming we can't beat chelsea to the league title get over it' post but I really liked that. good balanced post ;) (thats my coat)
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 77 78 81 84 05

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 04:32:06 am »
2007 - 2008 (crossing fingers) :P

Hope it's this year though! 
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline markdavo4

• Main Stander
  • He made the people happy!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 04:36:26 am »
great read!! well written post! cheers mate
I know I was born and I know that I'll die, The in between is mine! - Eddie Vedder

Offline Carrammba

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 05:32:09 am »
Excellent Post
Not overly positive,nor negative, Balanced (as would say Rafa)
A realistic (if you will) Analysis.

SO NEAR YET SO FAR

I'll keep my 20 fingers crossed for No.19

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 10:53:28 am »
Well written post Lacey, and fully agree on your assessment of what Rafa is setting up here. I too am not worried about our slow start because, although we lost at Chelsea, we saw Rafa's plans in action and were by far the better side at the home ground of the defending champions. Very encouraging, professional performance.

I believe, in the future we're going to talk about The Rafalution as being a golden era, and we are in the midst of it, so I want to enjoy every stage of its making, all the way to the glories that await. The next step up from last season is the most difficult, and Rafa has prepared well with the additions of great quality to the squad this season.

Savour these times and play your part in making them memorable.
Doubters to Believers

Offline shanklygateslfc

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 10:54:28 am »
excellent post lacey!!
NO ONE PERSON IS BIGGER THAN THIS FOOTBALL CLUB!!!!!

YNWA - Justice for the 96 - R.I.P.  Never Forgotten, Forever with us.

Offline Keith.sa

• Boys Pen
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 01:15:44 pm »
Great post and spot on. I answered a similar post from Gerry on Webblog and it is great to see the real supporters coming out. For a while I thought I was watching a different game from all the rants and moans I read after the match. I said then and will say it again when (and they will, almost there) this team clicks it will be mentioned in the same breath as the teams from the Shankly and Paisley years.  Rafa is defiantly the best Manager since Bob and we are starting to play like the Liverpool of old. You have to be a complete tosser not to see what he is doing and what he has accomplished already. Yes we are not the finished article, but don’t write off our chances just yet for this year. 5 points if we win our game in hand. I would take that with say 10 games to go at the end of the season. We have a much easier run in than the others and we still have to play the mancs and gunners home and away as well as Chelsea at home, as well as them playing each other. So yes time will tell if it is too soon but…. We will see. I for one have not given up.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 11:45:51 pm »
Nicely written post, couldn't agree more.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline Lacey

• Nude erudite biscuits
  • Kopite
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 04:36:06 pm »
i stand by what i originally said, our season is about balance...and patience.

Offline mattydalton

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 02:05:14 pm »
My brother is a victim of "Dreamers Disease". For years he has been constantly disappointed in what we have done. Admittedly, a club like ours does deserve better than we have had in the past 15 years but let's not forget that, even in a period of massive underachievement, we have still won a fair few trophies. If we win this many trophies when we are "struggling", just imagine what we can do when, as you say, "we are there". I have a lot of belief in Rafa. I do grumble now and then when things don't go our way. I do question certain tactical decisions. At the end of the day, I realise Rafa is THE right man for the job and we will be rewarded with the success we deserve. Maybe not this season, maybe not even next but I can see us dominating English football eventually. After all, football success always goes in cycles. It is only a matter of time.

Offline jonesyb

• How many cans of Efes would it take to fill 5 European Cups?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • I'll have one more then I'm going on the piss!
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 08:28:11 pm »
Spot on!
Someone talking sense at last.
"what d'ye mean ye broke yer leg? Thats Liverpool's bloody leg"
Shankly to Tommy Smith