Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4130428 times)

Offline 50 Pence

• Thanks to a slightly better exchange rate, he's a higher value rapper...
  • Kopite
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #200 on: October 11, 2005, 11:41:13 am »
Third fight should be good, if Castillo doesn't try to cheat again. They certainly pulled a fast one, and IMO it is a hollow, meaningless victory. Corrales was never going to stand a chance fighting a guy who at the time of the fight was probably more than half a stone heavier!

Having said that thou, Corrales needs to start learning to block left hooks as he was eating them all night, and ultimately was knock out cos of this.
I wish I'd be a bit more spontaneous. Sometimes I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying, "Look at me, I'm a giant witch."

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #201 on: October 11, 2005, 11:48:00 am »
Met John H. Stracie last night, anyone remember him?

Boxed in 1968 Olympics for Great Britain. Was also UK, European and World Champion in the 70's. Funny bloke, if a bit full of himself (but I wasn't going to tell him that!) He Used to knock around with the Krays when he was a youngster in Bethnal Green. Had some funny stories.
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline SGTBabbel

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #202 on: October 11, 2005, 01:31:16 pm »
Under card paquai jr got a bit of a duabious decision (spell check)

i know im a bit late, but yeah, that was a dodgy decision!

(and i've got filippino blood!)

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #203 on: October 11, 2005, 03:58:10 pm »
Wasnt the winner of that one supposed to meet Barrera next?
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline SGTBabbel

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #204 on: October 12, 2005, 01:44:43 pm »
Wasnt the winner of that one supposed to meet Barrera next?

not sure, but if Pacquaio Junior meets Barrera, hes gonna get whooped!

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: October 12, 2005, 02:33:41 pm »
Is Hatton fighting this month? Or is it next month? Doubt ill watch that one, he'll murder the bloke hes fighting, i keep forgetting his name as well. He needs to get his people (Whoever his people are now) to make the fight with Mayweather. They've both just came off very very good wins, every fight fan would want to see it as well. Biggest pay day Hatton will ever get, probally the 2nd or 3rd Floyd would get (since hes talking about De La Hoya or Winky Wright)

Offline 50 Pence

• Kopite
« Reply #206 on: October 12, 2005, 04:27:33 pm »
He's due to fight at the end of November. Is fighting Maussa, he's the gangly, awkward looking guy who was supposed to be flattened by Vivian Harris, instead he knocked Harris out to win the title, huge shock.

Am not so sure he would beat Mayweather myself, so is maybe taking the sensible option and opting for an easier unification bout.

Not sure we'll see Maywether/Winky Wright fighthing anytime soon either, have heard that Winky is moving up to Middleweight to fight IBF's number 1 contender, the Title Jermain Taylor has just vacated so he can face Hopkins in the rematch
I wish I'd be a bit more spontaneous. Sometimes I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying, "Look at me, I'm a giant witch."

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #207 on: October 14, 2005, 08:33:44 am »
He's due to fight at the end of November. Is fighting Maussa, he's the gangly, awkward looking guy who was supposed to be flattened by Vivian Harris, instead he knocked Harris out to win the title, huge shock.

Am not so sure he would beat Mayweather myself, so is maybe taking the sensible option and opting for an easier unification bout.

Not sure we'll see Maywether/Winky Wright fighthing anytime soon either, have heard that Winky is moving up to Middleweight to fight IBF's number 1 contender, the Title Jermain Taylor has just vacated so he can face Hopkins in the rematch

Eh? He has vacated the middleweight title so he can fight him again, that doesn't make a blind bit of sense except for the board of control saying he has to fight a contender 1st and it being about money - if thats the case - its a load of bollocks. Why can't he have a rematch with BHop and it be a title fight? You don't take a title of a man who has defended it for 20 + fights to then give it up = fucking stupid - someone explain!

Offline 50 Pence

• Kopite
« Reply #208 on: October 14, 2005, 10:08:24 am »
Eh? He has vacated the middleweight title so he can fight him again, that doesn't make a blind bit of sense except for the board of control saying he has to fight a contender 1st and it being about money - if thats the case - its a load of bollocks. Why can't he have a rematch with BHop and it be a title fight? You don't take a title of a man who has defended it for 20 + fights to then give it up = fucking stupid - someone explain!

He's only vacated the IBF middlewieght title (so still holds the WBO, WBA & WBC) because the IBF said that he had to fight their No.1 contender Sam Soliman (Who Winky Wright will now probably fight) and not Hopkins. Does come down to money cos he'll obviously get paid more for fighting a legend then he will for fighting a nobody.

Plus if Winky Wright wins the vacant IBF fight he's gonna wanna fight the winner of this one, so the titles will all be held by one man again, the way it should be in every division but sadlt isn't.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: October 14, 2005, 11:55:57 am »
He's only vacated the IBF middlewieght title (so still holds the WBO, WBA & WBC) because the IBF said that he had to fight their No.1 contender Sam Soliman (Who Winky Wright will now probably fight) and not Hopkins. Does come down to money cos he'll obviously get paid more for fighting a legend then he will for fighting a nobody.

Plus if Winky Wright wins the vacant IBF fight he's gonna wanna fight the winner of this one, so the titles will all be held by one man again, the way it should be in every division but sadlt isn't.

Hatton looks like he trying to go down that route though starting with Maussa. He would have them all if it wasn't for politics, Tzsyu held them all

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: October 14, 2005, 05:28:01 pm »
I think more boxers are starting to vacate the belts to make the big money fights now. To be honest I think the belts mean very little now. You have more titles than you do fighters it seems. Of course it'd be much better if there was just the one belt in every division but thats not going to happen is it? Then we'd know who the man was. Taylor vs Hopkins 2 should be good like, seen Taylor give Hopkins a nappy, a bottle and a stuffed toy and told him to stop being such a baby. Made Hopkins laugh and thats a hard thing to do!

I like Taylor though, hope he can do well but B-Hop is one of my favs so I hope he regains his titles. Bloke is a legend.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: October 14, 2005, 08:09:24 pm »
I think more boxers are starting to vacate the belts to make the big money fights now. To be honest I think the belts mean very little now. You have more titles than you do fighters it seems. Of course it'd be much better if there was just the one belt in every division but thats not going to happen is it? Then we'd know who the man was. Taylor vs Hopkins 2 should be good like, seen Taylor give Hopkins a nappy, a bottle and a stuffed toy and told him to stop being such a baby. Made Hopkins laugh and thats a hard thing to do!

I like Taylor though, hope he can do well but B-Hop is one of my favs so I hope he regains his titles. Bloke is a legend.

How can he retain his titles if it aint a title fight, the rematch with Taylor is all about money and maybe a little pride!!

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: October 14, 2005, 09:20:44 pm »
Is it not for the rest of the belts, just not the IBF one?

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: October 16, 2005, 04:56:05 pm »
Is Klitchko and Rahman fighting soon? I cant remember dates I just know its soon. Dont know if we'll be getting that on Sky will we? I hope so, would love to see Rock knock Dr Frankenstein out but i dont really think it will happen. I like Rock, hes a character. Hell of a right hand on him as well, ask Lennox Lewis!

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: October 16, 2005, 05:03:40 pm »
Mirra,have you seen Bernard Dunne fighting?
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #215 on: October 16, 2005, 05:41:45 pm »
Is Klitchko and Rahman fighting soon? I cant remember dates I just know its soon. Dont know if we'll be getting that on Sky will we? I hope so, would love to see Rock knock Dr Frankenstein out but i dont really think it will happen. I like Rock, hes a character. Hell of a right hand on him as well, ask Lennox Lewis!
Im near sure thats next weekend

Offline Des Lynam

• Left at half-time
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hi, Des here.
« Reply #216 on: October 16, 2005, 10:36:15 pm »
Williams & Harrison set to rumble 

Harrison is undefeated as a professional
Former British heavyweight champion Danny Williams is set to fight former Olympic champion Audley Harrison, promoter Frank Warren has announced.
Details will be formalised at a news conference in London on Monday.

Williams, 33, beat Mike Tyson last year before losing a world-title clash against WBC king Vitali Klitschko.

Harrison, also 33, won gold at Sydney 2000 and is undefeated in 19 pro fights but has been criticised for the quality of his opposition thus far.

Williams' future in the sport looked in doubt after he pulled out of a match with current British champion Matt Skelton at late notice in July.

Skelton turned down a rescheduled fight with Williams in December and will now face Kevin McBride, who beat Tyson this year, instead.

Williams v Harrison would be the biggest domestic heavyweight match-up since Lennox Lewis beat Frank Bruno in Cardiff in 1993.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4347568.stm

Eubank-Benn? Me thinks not.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 10:50:35 pm by Paco Ayesteran »
I should have been at work. Make of that what you will.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: October 16, 2005, 10:38:07 pm »
Williams & Harrison set to rumble 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... Two over the hill twats.

Harrison, also 33, won gold at Sydney 2000 and is undefeated in 19 pro fights but has been criticised for the quality of his opposition thus far.

Because they have all been fucking nobodys.

Offline 50 Pence

• Kopite
« Reply #218 on: October 17, 2005, 12:43:12 pm »

They meet on Nov 12, not heard anything about Sky showing it thou, which will be a shame cos is one of the few half decent heavyweight contests out there at the moment.
Williams v Harrison would be the biggest domestic heavyweight match-up since Lennox Lewis beat Frank Bruno in Cardiff in 1993.

If I was big Frank or Lennox I'd be insulted by that comment!! Neither of them are fit to lace big Franks gloves, let alone Lennox's. Think the name of this fight should be 'Who the hell cares!!!'

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2005, 04:28:49 pm »
Cant think who in their right mind would pay to watch Audrey against Danny Williams. Williams is a disgrace, what happened to all those things Warren said about him when he dropped his arse from Skeleton earlier this year? Now he expects people to pay money to go and watch him? Bollocks.

Skeleton vs Mcbride will be shite as well, Mcbride actually took his win against Tyson seriously, put him in with Klitchko and you'd see him get demolished the way Williams did. Skeleton is not much better either. Itd depressing to think these are our top Heavyweights and these are the ones who get all the media attention while the lower weights have some of the best fighters around hardly get any.

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2005, 06:42:19 pm »
Mirra, I know what you mean about the heavyweight division getting all the attention in the general press.  I know basically fuck all about boxing, and have genuinely enjoyed reading scanning this thread, and now even taken to persuing the boxing section in bbc sport.

One reason for people (ie the general public) not being interested in the lower weights is that there are simply too many, and, they are different in amateur and pro boxing.  I still haven't a clue how many there are, my guess is (without google or anything):
Fly, Feather, Bantam, Super Bantam, Welter, Super Welter, Middle, Heavy Middle, Cruiser and Heavy.  I've probably missed a couple and made a couple up, let alone the order.  Then there is also all this bollocks about four different belts in each division, which to a layman is plain farsical, and it seems to hold almost no bearing on who is the best boxer.  I read some peolpe thniking Wilko (or something) was the best pound for pound boxer in the World, and him not even having a single belt.  I mean, what the fuck is that about ?  Then there is also the obvious twats of agents and promoters, not to mention rumours of fixing and people are just disillusioned with it all, and find it too complex.

If they could knock it down to something sensible like five weight divisions (Didn't people like De La Hoya hold belts in six weight classes anyway, not to mention that pretty boy kid already having risen through three classes to find someone who could give him a fight?), with one World Title belt in each division then the press, and the general public might get more interested.  Sure, you can also have national champions and continental champions below the world champ, but otherwise, honestly, it is simply too hard to follow.  I would no clue if I was paying 8 quid to sky on a pay per view bout for what was likely to be a three round massacre or a twelve round classic, and the advertising is anything but clear.  Calzage is bigged up massively on TV, as was Hamed, but apparently nobody outside these shores takes them seriously because they duck anyone who could conceivably beat them like a bunch of pussies.

Anyway, that's my rant.  If you want media coverage, you have to make the sport media friendly.  I know it's not simple, but you can't have it both ways.

Also, the reason a heavyweight is so popular is because any of the smaller blokes who went into the ring against them would lose.  It is hardly Klitschkos (sp?) fault that none in the whole world is as good at boxing as him (not in a pound for pound sense, in an actual fight sense), yet he gets derided as a crap champion.  That strikes me as simply not fair.  There is every chance with todays training techniques that someone like him would pummel Ali.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2005, 10:11:02 pm »
Most of the heavyweights these days are shite really, too big, too slow. No talent, you'll never ever see a heavyweight fight like the Thrilla in Manilla again. Blokes in the heavy weight division now just couldnt fight like that, they'd be fucked by the 3rd round. Just seems these days if your a huge bloke whos got a bit of a dig on him, like Samuel Peter for instance. You'll be hyped up to be a great fighter and then get found out. While somebody like Winky Wright had to tour Europe, work his arse off to get recognition from the tv companys. Winky has probally forgot more things than somebody like Klitchko, Rahman etc ever knew. Winky has been underated for years, he might never get his chance against someone like Hopkins or Jermain Taylor either, nobody wants to fight him. Just have to look at what he done to Tito Trinidad to see why. Hes too good at what he does, thats probally the reason he isnt a big star either. Tv companys want blood and thunder all the time, excitment, Rocky style matches.

A few years ago people criticised Butterbean- big fat yank bloke with a hell of a punch on him. TV pundits slaughtered him because he only fought four rounders and was basically a side show, a freak show if you like. But the way I see it now, thats all the heavyweight divison is. Butterbean is just one of many now, most of them are overweight blokes with power that could knock down a wall.

Offline Dermot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: October 18, 2005, 12:47:59 am »
A few years ago people criticised Butterbean- big fat yank bloke with a hell of a punch on him. TV pundits slaughtered him because he only fought four rounders and was basically a side show, a freak show if you like. But the way I see it now, thats all the heavyweight divison is. Butterbean is just one of many now, most of them are overweight blokes with power that could knock down a wall.

My unoffical nickname was butterbean!!

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: October 18, 2005, 02:00:10 am »
My unoffical nickname was butterbean!!

For your power I assume and not your looks? ;D

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: October 18, 2005, 02:38:26 am »
  ;D say that to his face  :P

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: October 18, 2005, 08:01:24 am »
  ;D say that to his face  :P

Not if he looks like Butterbean ;D

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #226 on: October 18, 2005, 01:01:42 pm »
What you say about the Heavyweights not being able to "box" may well be true, but if you are so strong that one punch puts the other person on the mat for ten, does it matter ?  Apparently to purists it does, but I was just trying to give you the opinion of someone who knows fuck all about boxing in order to answer your question and slamming of the media.

Could Ali "rope a dope" to someone who would put him down with a single good hit ?  I haven't a fucking clue personally.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: October 18, 2005, 02:29:07 pm »
What you say about the Heavyweights not being able to "box" may well be true, but if you are so strong that one punch puts the other person on the mat for ten, does it matter ?  Apparently to purists it does, but I was just trying to give you the opinion of someone who knows fuck all about boxing in order to answer your question and slamming of the media.

Could Ali "rope a dope" to someone who would put him down with a single good hit ?  I haven't a fucking clue personally.

Yeah of course he could. Ali rope a doped them all, Frazier, Forman, Norton, Cooper he was hard as fuck!

Offline Dermot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: October 18, 2005, 02:42:34 pm »

Big bald head, big belly. You decide.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: October 19, 2005, 01:38:26 am »
Yeah of course he could. Ali rope a doped them all, Frazier, Forman, Norton, Cooper he was hard as fuck!
I don't think a modern day ref would allow  fights to go on like that now a days and may be ali wishs those off yonder years  stopped it. :(

Offline 50 Pence

• Kopite
« Reply #230 on: October 19, 2005, 01:33:45 pm »
I don't think a modern day ref would allow  fights to go on like that now a days and may be ali wishs those off yonder years  stopped it. :(

Don't think any Ref would have a reason to stop it, he wasn't getting battered and he was more than able to defend himself. Don't think he took any major punishment, and he was throwing punches back, ref's generally stop it when they're taking excessive hard shots to he head, Ali was always in control of the situation!

Bet his arms bloody hurt the next day thou!

Offline The_Fisherman

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: October 19, 2005, 02:00:04 pm »
Cracking night of boxing last night at St George's Hall. 600+ there for the finals of the World Cadet 17's Finals.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: October 19, 2005, 03:52:37 pm »
Cracking night of boxing last night at St George's Hall. 600+ there for the finals of the World Cadet 17's Finals.

Brilliant night, had ringside seats right next to Amir Khan, sound lad, got our photo with him. Some cracking fights, very tough kids especially the Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan lads. Got gabbing to a lovely lady from the council aswell who is sorting me out with Gold Cards for The Living Room!

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: October 19, 2005, 10:36:02 pm »
We had Sugar Ray Leonard at the gym I go to the other day, am still in shock myself like. Bloke who runs the club didnt say anything about Sugar Ray coming (hes over here doing a tour apparently, was at the Stadium of Light on Saturday) Cracking bloke, from seeing the videos of him since I was a kid I couldnt stand him, so cocky  and all that. But after meeting him briefly he seemed a really nice guy. Hes going to send the club some new head gear and other equipment he said, and with their being a local reporter there as well Leonard said that the Council need to give us a bigger gym, and tell them Sugar Ray said so, they can call me if they want ;D Class bloke though. Took the time to speak to every single person there, maybe 20 or just over in total. Made my year that though  :)

Offline Dave Davies

• Main Stander
« Reply #234 on: October 20, 2005, 09:06:27 am »
Keep an eye out for a Derry Middleweight called John Duddy..he is currently fighting out of Queens in New York...12 wins from 12 bouts so far. ESPN have shown his last few fights live. Indeed, Don King sent his private jet to collect him a couple of months ago in an attempt to woo him..as they say, watch this space

DD
"my makeup is dry and it cracks on my chin, I'm drowning my sorrows in whiskey and gin."

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: October 20, 2005, 09:15:17 am »
We had Sugar Ray Leonard at the gym I go to the other day, am still in shock myself like. Bloke who runs the club didnt say anything about Sugar Ray coming (hes over here doing a tour apparently, was at the Stadium of Light on Saturday) Cracking bloke, from seeing the videos of him since I was a kid I couldnt stand him, so cocky  and all that. But after meeting him briefly he seemed a really nice guy. Hes going to send the club some new head gear and other equipment he said, and with their being a local reporter there as well Leonard said that the Council need to give us a bigger gym, and tell them Sugar Ray said so, they can call me if they want ;D Class bloke though. Took the time to speak to every single person there, maybe 20 or just over in total. Made my year that though  :)

To say I am jealous is an understatement, a lad I know met him aswell, had his gloves signed by him. Think I would just stand there in awe - amazing fighter

Offline The_Fisherman

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: October 20, 2005, 10:03:16 am »
There's a rematch of ITV's The Contender final tonight.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: October 20, 2005, 10:39:37 am »
There's a rematch of ITV's The Contender final tonight.

Nice one, a rematch of the fight or a repeat. Presume you mean the first, is it on the box? I missed the final, just know Sergio won and couldn't stand him

Offline Dermot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: October 20, 2005, 10:44:49 am »
Keep an eye out for a Derry Middleweight called John Duddy..he is currently fighting out of Queens in New York...12 wins from 12 bouts so far. ESPN have shown his last few fights live. Indeed, Don King sent his private jet to collect him a couple of months ago in an attempt to woo him..as they say, watch this space

DD

He's not bad. Also keep an eye on Damian Kelly and Andrew Murray.

Offline The_Fisherman

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: October 20, 2005, 11:09:24 am »
Nice one, a rematch of the fight or a repeat. Presume you mean the first, is it on the box? I missed the final, just know Sergio won and couldn't stand him

Rematch. 10.30 ITV2, after the togger