Author Topic: New laws being considered.  (Read 10872 times)

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: New laws being considered.
« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2017, 05:53:30 am »
No it wasn't if anything goal line tech was backed by the fans long before it came into effect

No. It was.

I heard many professionals and pundits saying that if you introduce goal line technology, you're opening the game up to video technology being used for everything.

I personally think technology SHOULD be used for everything, provided it can be implemented properly and without big delays.

If you really didn't hear anyone use this argument I'd be surprised.

There was also the "it can't be implemented at grass roots level" nonsense.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2017, 08:54:58 am »
No. It was.

I heard many professionals and pundits saying that if you introduce goal line technology, you're opening the game up to video technology being used for everything.

I personally think technology SHOULD be used for everything, provided it can be implemented properly and without big delays.

If you really didn't hear anyone use this argument I'd be surprised.

There was also the "it can't be implemented at grass roots level" nonsense.

You should stop listening to pundits .... more importantly you should stop listening to ex players. The majority are clueless muppets with an agenda and huge axe to grind.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2017, 10:06:59 am »
Not arsed about the majority of them, the theory of the 60-minute half is sound but it's easily corruptible so it's one of those where you'd hope protections could be put in place to stop a lot of the quibbles made on here (mid-game ads, playing the clock down, etc.) if they decided to go through with it.

Would prefer to see a specific goalkeeper substitution allowed separate from the other three substitutions, meaning teams MUST have a mandatory goalkeeper substitute on the bench.  Two of the other substitutes on the bench should have less than X number of professional league games at that level or higher to push through youth players and stop massive squads and benches more expensive than all the teams under the Conference combined.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2017, 01:10:35 pm »
Just wait until we play Man Utd and the VAR ref is Howard Webb.

This is what people aren't discussing. Just who do you think will be the VAR refs for the 10 Premier League matches every weekend? Same ones who don't get calls right, didn't have the bollox to make calls against teams like Man Utd when they were a ref on the pitch, and will stick up for their buddies on the pitch.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2017, 01:44:07 pm »
Just wait until we play Man Utd and the VAR ref is Howard Webb.

This is what people aren't discussing. Just who do you think will be the VAR refs for the 10 Premier League matches every weekend? Same ones who don't get calls right, didn't have the bollox to make calls against teams like Man Utd when they were a ref on the pitch, and will stick up for their buddies on the pitch.

Webb can't couldn't give a fucking straight answer to a decision when BT threw money at him for sitting in a truck.

"Over to Howard"
"Oooo .... hmmmm ... errrrr ."...... might have been a penalty"
"Thanks Howard"

..... embarrassing.

Not to mention it allows referees to have no responsibility as they can become reliant on referring to the experts.... who as you rightly say won't rule against the super power teams.

An example of what you said ..... Saturday, Wigan Rugby League team (the Man Utd of that game) try they score is referred to the video ref ..... replay shows clear forward pass in the try .... try given)

As the game is on BBC replay shown on big screen at stadium, fans boo when they see forward pass. Makes no difference. Try given.

This is all of course taking several minutes and preventing the restart.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:15:08 pm by CrasherKid79 »

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2017, 01:57:27 pm »
Aye, and you could've said curry eating if I was from India, or pyramid climbing if I was from Egypt. I'm sure you've got lots of good ones.

Croissant-throwing for the French?

As you saw in my follow up post, I thought "some" of the rule changes were a good idea. I wasn't dismissing them all. I was being silly.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:01:53 pm by Le Jake »
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2017, 07:20:43 pm »
Just as we'll need to get used to the fact that decisions will take time. VAR proponents fed us that "it will only take a few seconds" nonsense and too many fell for it. It took them nearly two minutes to green-light Cedric's goal for Portugal against Mexico. It took VAR 68 seconds to disallow Eduardo Vargas' goal against Cameroon, but if you were there, it felt a lot longer than that.

Article/Blog in full here:
http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-confederations-cup/57/blog/post/3146617/var-experiment-at-confederation-cup-illustrating-footballs-price-of-justice

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2017, 04:22:42 am »
Croissant-throwing for the French?

As you saw in my follow up post, I thought "some" of the rule changes were a good idea. I wasn't dismissing them all. I was being silly.

No problem. It just felt unnecessary to me.

Happy to discuss the topics, and I do believe you that you weren't being intentionally hostile. Also at the time you hadn't made a follow up post and had merely used someone's nationality to belittle their opinion.

It's the world game after all, no?

Anyway, water under the bridge.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2017, 07:03:27 am »
The USA seem to be getting their heads around soccer and its 90 minute game, they have banner ads on the screen for larger periods of it and the clamour for 4 quarters has diminished as they fall properly in love with the game as it is, and the ad men get chance to promote their wares throughout.
My best rule change would be a three yellow card system whereby the ref can dish them out safe in the knowledge that he is not killing the game by sending off say Ronaldo for wasting a bit of time ,but booking him a second time and him knowing he is on best behaviour for the rest of the game in case a third is given. Can give 2 cards at once for a dirty tackle and a straight red for a blue nose dirty tackle or other outrage.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2017, 07:53:42 am »
I'm in favour of stopping the clock. Rather than having 30 seconds per substitution etc, I wonder how many minutes of last months fixture against Southampton were lost in the buildup to the penalty, them appealing the decision then trying & succeeding in putting Milner off. At least 3 minutes which won't have all been added on today.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2017, 08:00:41 am »
The USA seem to be getting their heads around soccer and its 90 minute game, they have banner ads on the screen for larger periods of it and the clamour for 4 quarters has diminished as they fall properly in love with the game as it is, and the ad men get chance to promote their wares throughout.
My best rule change would be a three yellow card system whereby the ref can dish them out safe in the knowledge that he is not killing the game by sending off say Ronaldo for wasting a bit of time ,but booking him a second time and him knowing he is on best behaviour for the rest of the game in case a third is given. Can give 2 cards at once for a dirty tackle and a straight red for a blue nose dirty tackle or other outrage.
I get the fear of constant breaks in play to suit the advertisers and that would be a bad thing. As you say, they put banner ads over the US coverage.
Was it Alan Partridge (soccer am?) that had a skit with adverts blocking the view of every goal? Hilarious but not too far removed from how they think.

ps it would be 30 minute halves with the proposed stopping clock.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2017, 09:54:31 am »
I'm in favour of stopping the clock. Rather than having 30 seconds per substitution etc, I wonder how many minutes of last months fixture against Southampton were lost in the buildup to the penalty, them appealing the decision then trying & succeeding in putting Milner off. At least 3 minutes which won't have all been added on today.

Again, this is a refereeing issue. Not a fundamental game one. A strong ref books the appealing players. Afterall only the captain is meant to speak to the ref.

Incompetent refs shouldn't have rules fitted around their incompetence.

Football is a 90 minute game

60 minutes is American Football.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2017, 10:08:23 am »

Yep.

I'm all for tactics being used in the game while the ball is in play, no matter how nefarious, but I think wasting time from minute one is against the spirit of what the game should be about. Fine if you want to do the low block and defend and shut the game down when the ball is in play, but to keep it out of play isn't even playing football. I've seen teams come to Anfield and take 30-40 seconds over a goal kick consistently from minute one in an engineered way of reducing the time we have to play. I think after a while it stops being a tactic and starts making a mockery of the game. Perhaps the suggestion never sees the light of day, but not enough is done to counter time wasting.

There are quite a few other suggestions in there that don't really change the game that much but change the dynamic slightly. I can see why people would be against someone being able to take a free kick to themselves but I think that suggestion probably comes from looking at how defensive teams benefit from simply pulling or rugby tackling the attacking player to prevent a counter attack. The yellow card is nothing sometimes, especially in the league, but it does give the attacking team other options when they eventually retrieve the ball.

Sports morph and change over years all the time. All of them are just proposals at this stage and they don't have to be implemented but I think it's good to discuss the merits of them rather than dismiss them out of hand because "ads" or "if its not broke don't fix it".

Edit: And the 6 second rule definitely needs to be enforced more stringently. I counted Hennessey have it in his hands for 20 seconds at Anfield.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2017, 04:52:48 pm »
Goal kick..

Once the keeper has the ball ( after it is retrieved and given to him), he has 10 seconds to take the goal kick.

Should he not take the kick in 10 seconds, then the Ref awards the other team a goal kick from their keeper.

Here's another one to consider.

Hitting the crossbar or post with a shot and the ball goes out of play.

Instead of a goal kick, the woodwork is treated as a defender, and therefore the attacking team is awarded a corner kick

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2017, 05:31:42 pm »
Just as we'll need to get used to the fact that decisions will take time. VAR proponents fed us that "it will only take a few seconds" nonsense and too many fell for it. It took them nearly two minutes to green-light Cedric's goal for Portugal against Mexico. It took VAR 68 seconds to disallow Eduardo Vargas' goal against Cameroon, but if you were there, it felt a lot longer than that.

Article/Blog in full here:
http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-confederations-cup/57/blog/post/3146617/var-experiment-at-confederation-cup-illustrating-footballs-price-of-justice

Video Ref brought to you by Shitebet.
Think third umpire in Cricket. 'Can we just rock and roll that once more please", and all the time the Shitebet logo is in your face.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2017, 06:32:39 pm »
I don't want a video ref either to be honest. It's good with a hawkeye on the line cos it's a yes or a no but reviewing a decision is up to the ref.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2017, 06:40:37 pm »
I don't want a video ref either to be honest. It's good with a hawkeye on the line cos it's a yes or a no but reviewing a decision is up to the ref.

Especially if they view the replay in silence like they are in the Confederation Cup.

Just means the super clubs will continue to get favourable decisions

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2017, 06:52:04 pm »
Oh they can do what they want to make international football worse :lmao I give more of a shit about Liverpool testimonials or legends games than I would England in a world cup final.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2017, 10:19:23 pm »
On the time wasting issue as some have discussed. if the refs are being watched by their bosses why the hell arnt the bosses making sure they add on the 30 secs per sub ruling. If the ref has a shocker he gets demoted to the Championship for a couple of games. That then shows the refs are watched and under scrutiny. Not adding on the time should come with the same pressures.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2022, 10:44:44 pm »
Suggestion based on idly watching the World Cup:

Throw-ins should be non-competitive. Opposition players have to move back to allow a throw to be taken to a member of the taking team. It'd take off the 30 or so seconds at every throw where the taker stands working out where to throw when everybody is covered. Introduce a throw-in clock and straight away you're speeding things up.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2022, 10:59:21 pm »
Suggestion based on idly watching the World Cup:

Throw-ins should be non-competitive. Opposition players have to move back to allow a throw to be taken to a member of the taking team. It'd take off the 30 or so seconds at every throw where the taker stands working out where to throw when everybody is covered. Introduce a throw-in clock and straight away you're speeding things up.

You'd also have to define a radius for the throw to be uncontested. Imagine us putting our nearest player to receive the throw in the 6-yard box and TAA taking the throw.

I agree on a throw-in clock just like there should be one for the keeper kicking the ball from their hands or with goal-kicks.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2022, 11:04:25 pm »
Ref could have a watch wired to the stadium clock and clear direction when to stop it, that would make the bent ones very obvious and also the fans could voice an opinion in game so that's good all round. If games lasted about the same length it would work for me.

there would need to be a protocol for "last play" like any pick up game lol Team in possession loses possession i believe its done. that way if you got your corner  or cross off in time one second left the play would be alive.  the refs discretions always handled that

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.