Author Topic: The Football League thread 2016/2017  (Read 71325 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: The Football League thread 2016/2017
« Reply #1200 on: May 29, 2017, 09:57:46 pm »
Well done to Huddersfield and David Wagner. A remarkable achievement, especially on their budget. Huddersfield should aim for survival and the experience. I would like to think they will invest in the club's long-term infrastructure like Burnley and maybe sign a few who could help them in the event of relegation, rather than try to spring for a lot of ill-suited signings in a bid to stay up.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1201 on: May 29, 2017, 10:00:02 pm »
Promoted with half a team of loanees and a -2 GD. 

From what I saw today, they have nothing.  In 2 months they will be playing massive, expensive teams.

No way are they Bournemouth. They won the title with +53 GD and all their own players, most of whom are still there.

Relegation certainties.

They will need A LOT of new players, that much is obvious but it's a bit hasty to call them relegation certainties. I was thinking the same about Hull when last season started and they ended up giving themselves a great chance of survival before it unravelled again.

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #1202 on: May 29, 2017, 10:02:16 pm »
They will need A LOT of new players, that much is obvious but it's a bit hasty to call them relegation certainties. I was thinking the same about Hull when last season started and they ended up giving themselves a great chance of survival before it unravelled again.

Probably the most ill-prepared team to ever get promoted to the Premier League.  I've just had a ton at 4/6 with Betfred. ;D
Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1203 on: May 29, 2017, 10:05:14 pm »
Probably the most ill-prepared team to ever get promoted to the Premier League.  I've just had a ton at 4/6 with Betfred. ;D

On the other hand, you could say that Wagner has gotten them up.  And maybe a decent manager is more important than buying half a team.

I'm not really convincing myself, but at this time of year I like to believe there's more to the game than just buying players.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1204 on: May 29, 2017, 10:10:21 pm »
Totally the right result...

Love your new name by the way.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1205 on: May 29, 2017, 10:12:13 pm »

I'm not really convincing myself, but at this time of year I like to believe there's more to the game than just buying players.

The big thing for me, is do they go with the guys who got them there in the first place, or look to bring in a ton of players before the window shuts? Financially, I don't think the latter makes sense. Also history seems to show that newly promoted teams that do that typically go down.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1206 on: May 29, 2017, 10:15:28 pm »
Fantastic to see Huddersfield win this game and go through. Apparantly Jurgen sent Wagner an emotional video.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1208 on: May 29, 2017, 10:22:30 pm »
The big thing for me, is do they go with the guys who got them there in the first place, or look to bring in a ton of players before the window shuts? Financially, I don't think the latter makes sense. Also history seems to show that newly promoted teams that do that typically go down.

If you've just been promoted, you probably should buy a few players.  Just don't spend it on lads who've just been relegated.  That always strikes me as a common mistake.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #1209 on: May 29, 2017, 10:29:52 pm »
Schindler lifts the roof off.

Well in Udders! Milk these celebrations.

Bet you were almost hoping to use a "Schindler's Missed" type gag?! ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1210 on: May 29, 2017, 10:36:07 pm »
She were a right rum Yorkshire lass and she liked her Udders feeled.

Absolutely chuffed to bits for quite a few mates. At least 3 drinks promised tomorrow from a couple of fans. Yes they might be going straight back down but who the fuck cares.

As for the local derby, its Mancs or Burnley I think.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #1211 on: May 29, 2017, 10:43:28 pm »
Sunderland, Boro and Hull down. Brighton, Newcastle and Huddersfield up, I'll take that trade-off. Three nice stadiums too.

Online mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #1212 on: May 30, 2017, 12:11:44 am »
Just watched the highlights after work - get in Town !!!

All three teams I wanted to go up came up - very nice !!  :D

RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #1213 on: May 30, 2017, 08:27:23 am »
https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/6ct6ey/predicting_promoted_club_survival_rates_in_the/

Great read that

Actually, you only need to read this:

"My post has been amended by autocorrect. Please report me to the site admins for being ignorant".:

1. Points are not the only indicator of how successful promoted teams are/will be in the PL.

2. Teams who score lots of goals, but are not overly reliant on 1 striker tend to do very well in the PL.

3. Teams who concede a lot of goals in the Championship do badly in the PL.

4. Teams with strong Championship defences are able to survive in the PL in the Short Term but do not stay for long if they cannot score.

5. Teams that win the Championship are more likely to not only survive in the PL, but also to go on and prosper.

6. Playoff Teams are more likely to be relegated at the first attempt and are much less likely to go on and have a prolonged stay in the PL.

7. Newcastle have a VERY strong chance of staying up. They are well positoned to go on and become an established PL side.

8. Brighton have a good chance of staying up next year and are also in with a good chance of becoming an established PL side.

9. Reading and Huddersfield are both well and truly fucked.

That said I am very happy for Huddersfield Town, much better to have them than another random London club.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1214 on: May 30, 2017, 10:41:17 am »
a brilliant achievement ....absolutely delighted for them ......next season's goanner be a hell of a ride for their fans - visiting grounds and facing players that they could previously only have dreamed of...it'll be a blast whatever happens and that game yesterday will mean as much to them as Istanbul did to us....hats off
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
« Reply #1215 on: May 30, 2017, 01:28:03 pm »
Lot of sore heads in the office this morning (I work a few hundred yards from the stadium). One lads just got in!

Halifax are my local side but I'm made up for them. Nice short away for me next season too, selfishly.
@JonnYNWA

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1216 on: May 30, 2017, 02:19:30 pm »
Tremendous atmosphere at Wembley, especially from the huge Huddersfield contingent. Not even the Wembley glitz and canned music could ruin the day. It's an enormous thing for the town to get the club back to the top league. There's a long football tradition there and like most northern towns of a certain size it is living through mean times. This will be a brilliant shot in the arm.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1217 on: May 30, 2017, 08:43:28 pm »
Can someone open a separate thread for Huddersfield?

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1218 on: May 30, 2017, 09:35:45 pm »
Tremendous atmosphere at Wembley, especially from the huge Huddersfield contingent. Not even the Wembley glitz and canned music could ruin the day. It's an enormous thing for the town to get the club back to the top league. There's a long football tradition there and like most northern towns of a certain size it is living through mean times. This will be a brilliant shot in the arm.

So happy for them. One of Shanks' former clubs as well.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1219 on: May 30, 2017, 10:06:27 pm »
Can someone open a separate thread for Huddersfield?

'ark at Battery Sergeant Major "Shut Up" Williams giving the orders out...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1220 on: May 31, 2017, 01:11:20 am »
In the pantheon of bizarre appointments at Midlands Mendes FC. Nuno becomes manager of Wolves.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/30/paul-lambert-leaves-wolves-after-six-months-at-championship-club

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1221 on: May 31, 2017, 11:34:19 am »
Wasnt sure where to put this but its a response on the Football365 website to Stan Collymores bit in the Mirror;

Give us a chance
Writes Stan Collymore in his Daily Mirror column on Tuesday:

‘I like Jaap Stam and David Wagner, and it’s nice to see some younger, fresher names cutting their teeth as managers.’
You can sense the ‘but’ coming…

‘So I was delighted that their Reading and Huddersfield sides reached the Championship play-off final. In Wagner’s case, I’m certain he’ll be part of a rising trend of clubs appointing men who once assisted the so-called super-managers.’
‘So-called’. Collymore’s disdain really is majestic.

‘But I’d also love to see British managers of a similar age to them given the same chances by clubs in and around the play-off places.’
Erm, Stam and Wagner weren’t appointed by clubs ‘in and around the play-off places’, Stan. They were appointed by clubs in 17th and 18th in the Championship, who had failed under British managers Brian McDermott and Chris Powell. The reason both made the play-offs is at least in part due to the excellence of their managers. Very few clubs in the play-off places appoint new managers, by the very definition of their decent league position.

Still, Collymore is right about British-born managers not getting appointed in the Championship. After all, since Wagner was appointed by Huddersfield only Paul Lambert (twice) Dean Smith, McDermott, Lee Johnson, Colin Wanker (twice), Nigel Pearson, Paul Trollope, Owen Coyle, Alan Stubbs, Garry Monk, Steve Bruce, Steve McClaren, Kenny Jackett, Warren Joyce, Ian Holloway, Paul Warne, Tony Mowbray, Gary Rowett, Graham Barrow, Mark Warburton and Harry Redknapp have been given jobs in that division. Keep fighting the fight for justice.

I mean, what?? He actually gets paid to come up with crap like that.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1222 on: June 9, 2017, 11:15:50 am »
Hull have appointed Leonid Slutsky as their new head coach

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40220882

Interesting move is this, I thought somebody with his CV might be able to find better than a Championship team.

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1223 on: June 9, 2017, 12:08:07 pm »
Gary Monk off to Boro. Good appointment for them.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1224 on: June 9, 2017, 04:55:15 pm »
Gary Monkey new Boro manager. Good appointment
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1225 on: June 15, 2017, 12:18:41 pm »
Can anyone explain to me why David Stockdale chose  to go Birmingham rather then stay at promoted Brighton?

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1226 on: June 16, 2017, 09:31:21 am »

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576