Author Topic: AFL thread: games, results, discussion  (Read 443233 times)

Offline Muzzmo

• Anny Roader
Re: AFL Season 2006 - games, results and discussion
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2006, 03:14:17 am »
Muzzmo, what about the upgrade of Optus Oval? Didn't they spend a shit load upgrading that, only for the AFL to decide not to play games there anymore.

I’m not sure how much was spent upgrading the oval but “a shitload” sounds about right.

I believe that Carlton did receive some compensation from the AFL for shifting its home games to the Telstra Dome – an upfront payment of $2.5 million.  They argued with the AFL (unsuccessfully) that they were entitled to more ($3 million) under the terms of the deal.

There is speculation the Blues will ask for $6 million from the league to buy out their lease on Princes Park with that money being used to wipe out club debt.

With Princes Park, now called MC Labor Park, still being used to host pre-season and under 18 matches, the Blues are likely to ask for additional money from the league to firstly upgrade the stadium and then maintain it.

At present it is the cash-strapped Blues who are being forced to pay for the upkeep of a ground from which they no longer receive income by playing matches there, while at the same time the ground is still being used for matches by other clubs.

While the AFL now schedules all its home and away matches in Melbourne at the MCG and Telstra Dome, the league indicated earlier this season that it still needed a third ground in Melbourne as a back-up venue in case either the MCG or Telstra Dome was ever unavailable during the season for long periods - with the 32,000 capacity Princes Park the ground most capable of filling that breach.

A strategic financial paper, written by Carlton board member and merchant banker Marcus Rose with input from former president Ian Collins, recommended the club sell the Princes Park lease to the AFL, and that it should not only receive $6 million up front for selling the ground lease, but that the league should pay $2.5 million towards the proposed redevelopment of the ground, and pay for the upkeep — currently about $1.8 million — a grand total of more than $10 million in the first year of the package.

The strategic paper, details of which have been obtained by The Age, suggests that the Blues should pay a modest $100,000 in rent to the AFL as the main tenant at Princes Park.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/05/15/1147545265024.html

Malthouse has Collingwood ticking over quite nicely...this can't continue, can it?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Emerald Red

• Legacy Fan
  • since 1956
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2006, 12:46:23 pm »
Sydney Swans have made it 5 in a row - they're looking strong again

HAWTHORN   54 - 119   SYDNEY SWANS

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2006, 10:14:42 pm »
Round 9 results:

Collingwood   21.13 (139)   def.   Western Bulldogs   16.9 (105)
  Richmond   17.8 (110)   def.   Geelong   12.18 (90)
  Adelaide   18.16 (124)   def.   Carlton   9.6 (60)
  Port Adelaide   20.9 (129)   def.   Essendon   9.15 (69)
  Sydney Swans   19.5 (119)   def.   Hawthorn   7.12 (54)
  Brisbane Lions   21.15 (141)   def.   Fremantle   10.13 (73)
  St Kilda   10.14 (74)   def.   Kangaroos   8.9 (57)
  West Coast Eagles   13.19 (97)   def.   Melbourne   11.9 (75)

Big problems emerging for the Bomber faithful after their woeful effort against Port Adelaide. To lose like that a home was embarrassing. The Western Bulldogs can't take a trick with more injuries to crucial players. Sydney, Adelaide, West Coast and Collingwood are the teams no one wants to play next.
How about Dean Laidley's heated invitation to a disgruntled fan to "come down, come down and have a look at how much we're actually hurting!".  The Kangaroos fan declining the invitation.
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2006, 10:59:09 am »
I think Melbourne did OK against West Coast for 3 quarters. Although I beleive we have a good record over there I think it's not a bad game to lose. After a bad start to be 5-4 is pretty good considering we arn't going to win the flag. We have St Kilda and then Collingwood before the split round. 2 loses and we are gone. A win and a loss we are in the mix for the 8. Two wins and we will be pushing for the 4.

:)
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Muzzmo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2006, 01:31:47 am »
Yeah they had a slow start gjr1, but the Demon's have really turned it around.

On current form, I'd say they are the best side out of the top four (they're currently 7th).

Big problems emerging for the Bomber faithful after their woeful effort against Port Adelaide. To lose like that a home was embarrassing.

The loss extended Essendon's run of defeats to eight, the club's worst stretch since it lost 10 games spanning 1978-79, and with flag fancy Adelaide its round 10 opponent.  Crowd numbers were also down despite being Kevin Sheedy's 600th game as coach.

How about Dean Laidley's heated invitation to a disgruntled fan to "come down, come down and have a look at how much we're actually hurting!".  The Kangaroos fan declining the invitation.

Laidley 'haunted' by Roo fan's death

KANGAROOS coach Dean Laidley was seeking counselling after being "haunted" by the image of a fan he clashed with on Sunday, who it is believed later committed suicide.

The man, a Kangaroos member in his late 30s, was hit by a train at Seaford on the Frankston line at 1.15am yesterday.

The man's family, police and the Kangaroos stated the death was unrelated to his verbal clashes with the Kangaroos coach at half-time and at the end of Sunday's game with St Kilda.

An emotional Laidley, who went home immediately after hearing the news yesterday, told The Age he was devastated.

"I am distraught and feel for the family," Laidley said, fighting back tears. "I just can't believe someone's passed away. I am still coming to terms with that. I offer them my full support."

Laidley reiterated that he had merely invited the man down to the rooms after the second clash to see how much the players were hurting. He said he had done a similar thing last year with a fan and his son in a similar situation.

"I am haunted by his image," Laidley said. "I can't get the face out of my head."

Laidley, whose family is away, took calls from AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou and was visited by rival coaches and club doctors during the day. He planned to undergo immediate counselling but will be at work today.

Kangaroos chief executive Geoff Walsh yesterday visited the dead man's family.

"I spoke to the family members, who are devastated by the loss of their son and brother, and offered professional support services to help them through this sad time," he said in a statement.

"I also passed on our deepest condolences and thoughts of everyone here at the North Melbourne Football Club.

"The family stressed that an incident earlier in the day at the North Melbourne-St Kilda game at Telstra Dome was unrelated to the tragic loss of their son's life."

The AFL also passed on its condolences. A spokesman ruled out a review of arrangements for coaches passing through the crowd at the Telstra Dome.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/laidley-haunted-by-roo-fans-death/2006/05/29/1148754937893.html

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2006, 02:45:15 am »
Muzzmo, the news of the Kangaroo's fans death shocked me when I heard on the news. A very sad situation. Condolences to his family and friends.
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline Emerald Red

• Legacy Fan
  • since 1956
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2006, 02:38:35 pm »
There's a long way to go, but the top 4 look strong .....

So who's the most likely to come undone,
West Coast, Adelaide, Collingwood or Sydney ?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 02:42:53 pm by Emerald Red »

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2006, 03:07:11 pm »
Collingwood!

Notorious fast starters.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2006, 03:59:03 pm »
Emerald Red wrote:

Still way to early to say...but "most likely to come undone"...maybe Sydney.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2006, 04:09:42 pm »
The only way Sydney will come undone is if people work out a way to break the flood.  That is why Collingwood are doing well - they aren't particularly a brilliant team, but with players like Rocca, Tarrant and Lonie who can bomb from outside 50, flooding effects them less.

Offline Muzzmo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2006, 01:28:59 am »

Injuries will play a big part.

For example, Collingwood had a poor season last year, but they were missing several key players through injury - Buckley, Rocca, Fraser just to name a few.

This year they are injury free and flying.  It makes a huge difference.

Look at Essendon.  They are bottom of the ladder.  But I wonder how they would have gone without injuries to key players like Lloyd and Hird.

Injury list here: http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=269891

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2006, 06:32:22 am »
New Essendon 'away' strip: first time in the club's history that we've had an away guernsey.

Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 3, 2006, 07:54:08 am »
So far this week :)

Essendon get another trouncing. This time at the hands of Adelaide.

West Coast come back to win from 54 points down by kicking 11 of the last 13 goals scored against a hapless Geelong. :D
« Last Edit: June 3, 2006, 07:57:06 am by gjr1 »
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: June 4, 2006, 12:07:41 pm »
Round 10 results:

Adelaide          30. 8 188 def. Essendon        6.14 50
West Coast Eagles 16. 5 101 def. Geelong        15. 8 98
Western Bulldogs  16.13 109 def. Hawthorn       13.10 88
Collingwood       16.13 109 def. Brisbane Lions 12.11 83
Fremantle         15.10 100 def. Richmond       13.11 89
Sydney Swans      16. 9 105 def. Kangaroos      14.14 98
Port Adelaide     17.16 118 def. Carlton        12.12 84
Melbourne         15.13 103 def. St Kilda       13.12 90

Adelaide's annihilation of Essendon....are the Crows really that good or are the Bombers that bad? Melbourne continues to impress with its win over St. Kilda. And Collingwood showed another resilient effort against a former AFL power, Brisbane.

« Last Edit: June 4, 2006, 12:15:13 pm by RedmeisterOZ »

Offline Emerald Red

• Legacy Fan
  • since 1956
« Reply #94 on: June 4, 2006, 05:20:54 pm »
The top 4 all win again .....

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2006, 01:46:27 pm »
Melbourne too good for Collingwood.

Joga Bonito Melbourne!
Obi-Wan:

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2006, 03:31:44 am »
Round 11 results:

Geelong           20.10 130 def. Essendon       13.10  88
Richmond          15.12 102 def. Kangaroos       9.13  67
Adelaide          10.15  75 def. Brisbane Lions  8.12  60
St Kilda           7.10  52 def. Sydney Swans    7. 8  50
Port Adelaide     22.13 145 def. Hawthorn        7. 7  49
Western Bulldogs  15.10 100 def. Fremantle      12.14  86
West Coast Eagles 16.15 111 def. Carlton        15.11 101
Melbourne         22. 9 141 def. Collingwood    14.10  94

Cats finally get their act together. Tigers and Power notching up some wins. How Carlton could blow their lead is beyond me.  ::) Back to the drawing board, again, for Mr Pagan. Scrappy game in the wet at the Gabba with the Crows doing just enough. Game of the round, in my opinion, Demons demolition of the Magpies. (gjr1 you speculated in earlier posts whether they could win the flag, anything is possible if they keep playing like they are)

Offline Muzzmo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2006, 03:07:03 am »
Dual premiership player Byron Pickett believes the tackling, hardness and run of this Melbourne side puts it on a par with the powerhouse North Melbourne side of the 1990s : (http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/06/12/1149964468833.html)

:o  They're on fire at the moment, but that's a big call.

For the second successive week, the Eagles wriggled their way from a seemingly impossible position, taking the game from a brave Carlton which had created a 44-point lead midway through the third term.

Against Geelong the previous week, the Eagles blasted back from a 54-point deficit from a similar time in the game to steal the four points.

Sure they have shown great character and resolve to win, but you've got to wonder what they were doing so far behind teams languishing at the bottom of the ladder (Geelong were 4th to bottom at the time and Carlton 2nd to bottom).

At the end of the day though, they'll be handy points.  Better to have a dip in form now than in September.

Ladder for the half way point of the season:

West Coast – 10 wins, 1 loss = 40 points (123.01%)

Adelaide – 9 wins, 2 losses = 36 points (160.96%)

Collingwood – 8 wins, 3 losses = 32 points (131.21%)

Sydney – 7 wins, 4 losses = 28 points (124.22%)

Western Bulldogs – 7 wins, 4 losses = 28 points (112.47%)

Melbourne – 7 wins, 4 losses = 28 points (111.50%)

St Kilda – 6 wins, 5 losses = 24 points (113.71%)

Fremantle – 6 wins, 5 losses = 24 points (92.52%)

Richmond – 6 wins, 5 losses = 24 points (81.04%)

Port Adelaide – 5 wins, 6 losses = 20 points (92.5%)

Geelong – 4 wins, 7 losses = 16 points (100.00%)

Brisbane – 4 wins, 7 losses = 16 points (93.85%)

Hawthorn – 4 wins, 7 losses = 16 points (78.01%)

Kangaroos – 2 wins, 9 losses = 8 points (76.78%)

Carlton – 2 wins, 9 losses = 8 points (75.46%)

Essendon – 1 win, 10 losses = 4 points (74.88%)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 08:40:23 am by Muzzmo »

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2006, 12:05:42 pm »
Good stuff in that article. Especially from Neale Daniher. Until I went to the North Melbourne game (he's a massive Roo fan) with my boss I didn't know much of Byrons' history.

I don't have the same understanding of tactics as most Australians in this sport yet but the radio and TV where lashing the praise for how he handled Collingwood. However they where very crital of Collingwoods use of Buckley.

I may go and watch the game against Essendon at the weekend. I think we could be in for a big win :D

Lets hope me and all Melbourne fans he has picked another winner and wither this yer or next we can win the flag!

A question for all you wonderful followers of the game, can someone explain to me why they don't play each other twice (home and away) like they do in other sports? I know it has a lot to do with history and stuff but a 30 game season would show who was the best.

I know teams play in "neutral" venues to try and take the game to places that don't have teams. Melbourne also play their home game against Brisbane in Brisbane!
Obi-Wan:

Offline Muzzmo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2006, 01:59:54 am »
I may go and watch the game against Essendon at the weekend. I think we could be in for a big win :D

See if you can get along to that one.  There should be a large crowd, Melbourne in red hot form, the possible return of James Hird and Scott Camporeale for the Bombers - Melbourne by 10 goals.

Re: home and away fixtures, there's some information here:

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=aflinfosheets&spg=display&articleid=240783

As for each team playing each other twice, I heard not so long ago that Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett suggested that the pre-season competition should be scrapped to allow for a 30 game season.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2006, 08:46:36 am »
gjr1 wrote:
A question for all you wonderful followers of the game, can someone explain to me why they don't play each other twice (home and away) like they do in other sports? I know it has a lot to do with history and stuff but a 30 game season would show who was the best.
The answer is an historical one, it's 22 minor rounds and then a month of finals. There has been talk over the years of extending the season and having each team play each other twice. Due to the physical nature of the game and resultant injuries, some clubs barely make it to round 22.
30 games would make it a very long season in a really physically taxing game. The interstate clubs have a harder road, in my opinion, playing interstate every second week. But that is mainly about revenue to the AFL and how that can be maximised.

grj1 as you sound like a new follower of Aussie Rules, how did you end up being a Demons supporter?

On the news today, there was vision of St.Kilda's Justin Koschitzke fainting while giving an interview on a Sunday morning sports show. Koschitzke took a heavy bump weeks ago and suffered a head injury. Apparently, this is the second time he has collapsed since the incident.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2006, 09:53:49 am »
grj1 as you sound like a new follower of Aussie Rules, how did you end up being a Demons supporter?

I went to my first game in 2000. At the place I was staying at the time there was a Geelong supporter there and was chatting to him about going to a game. So we went to the Melbourne V Geelong game at the MCG. As a 'bonus' the olympic flame turned up at the 'G' the same game so a crowd of 75,000 turned up.

As the bloke I was with supported Geelong I had to support the other team for a bit of banter :P Melbourne went on to win the game :D. I also went to the final the same year V Carlton with a nice English girl :) . Another 75,000 crowd for that one saw the mighty Melbourne come back from about 40 points down to win in the last quarter. Great stuff.

I was a member last season so I would force myself to goto more games.

Obi-Wan:

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2006, 04:33:21 am »
Round 12 results:

Adelaide         18.15 123 def. St Kilda           8.12  60
Geelong          18.10 118 def. Fremantle          6.16  52
Western Bulldogs 22.13 145 def. Brisbane Lions    14.19 103
Port Adelaide    13.19  97 def. West Coast Eagles  8.12  60
Hawthorn         16. 9 105 def. Richmond           8.16  64
Melbourne        16.15 111 def. Essendon          10.15  75
Kangaroos        18.13 121 def. Carlton           15.12 102
Collingwood      14.11  95 def. Sydney Swans      11.16  82

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: July 2, 2006, 01:25:00 pm »
Round 13 results:
   West Coast 8.16 (64) Western Bulldogs 10.13 (73)

Richmond 13.14 (92) Collingwood 6.9 (45)

Adelaide 21.21 (147) Geelong 8.7 (55)

Brisbane 8.23 (71) Carlton 7.14 (56)

Sydney 12.19 (91) Fremantle 9.4 (58)

Melbourne 18.12 (120) Port Adelaide 12.10 (82)

St Kilda 18.17 (125) Hawthorn 8.7 (55)

Kangaroos 14.12 (96) Essendon 13.11 (89)

Two major upsets this week, Richmond beating Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs taking the points in the West. Adelaide sending out another warning with its demolition of Geelong. Melbourne comfortable winners over Port Adelaide. And Essendon just can't do anything right losing to the Kangaroos.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 3, 2006, 09:29:39 pm »
Adelaide certainly look the business.

Offline Muzzmo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #105 on: July 8, 2006, 04:14:41 am »
Australian rules the No. 1 sport — for injury

WHEN Collingwood player Blake Caracella came within millimetres of quadriplegia last month, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou pleaded with mothers not to steer their kids away from football.

Since then, we have seen Richmond's Chris Newman snap his leg at the MCG and the Bulldogs' Shaun Higgins fracture and dislocate his elbow.  Now it is official: Australian rules is the nation's most dangerous sport.

A report commissioned by health insurer Medibank Private put the game firmly at the top of the rankings, based on presentations at hospital casualty wards and other medical practices.

Unhappily for the AFL, at a time when soccer has invaded the national consciousness as never before, the round-ball game was way down the list, at seventh.  Basketball and netball were second and third.

Dr Peter Larkins, a high-profile AFL commentator, was a major contributor to the report.

"We're not out here to bash the AFL, what we're … saying to people is that with this particular sport, you run so far because it's the biggest arena of all the football codes, you've got jumping and landing, you're getting run into from the front, back and side," he said.

An AFL spokesman said injuries had been decreasing as the league put more time into understanding why they occur.

Dr Larkins said injury rates in all sports could be lowered by pre-season conditioning, warming up before activity, adequate rehydration, strapping and wearing protective equipment.  "If Chris Newman had been wearing a shin guard on Sunday, would he have broken his leg in two places?" he asked.

Dr Larkins said the AFL had worked hard to reduce injuries.  He cited rule changes that stopped ruckmen crashing into each other at centre bounces.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/07/07/1152240490193.html

Medibank Private Report here: http://www.theage.com.au/ed_docs/sport.pdf

Round 13 results:

Adelaide 21.21 (147) Geelong 8.7 (55)

Adelaide sending out another warning with its demolition of Geelong.

I went to that game (to cheer on Geelong  :-[ ).

The scary thing is that Adelaide didn't really get going until half way through the second quarter, their kicking for goal wasn't great and they eased up at the end (as you would I suppose when you are that far in front) allowing Brad Ottens to kick a couple of late goals, yet the margin was still a whopping 92 points.   :o
« Last Edit: July 8, 2006, 04:49:04 am by Muzzmo »

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2006, 03:26:04 am »
Round 14 results:

Fremantle         19.11 (125) def. Essendon         12.16  (88)
 Geelong           23. 4 (142) def. Carlton          11.11  (77)
 West Coast Eagles 17.12 (114) def. Hawthorn         16. 8 (104)
 Melbourne         14.14  (98) def. Brisbane Lions   13.12  (90)
 Richmond          14. 8  (92) def. Port Adelaide     6.18  (54)
 Adelaide          15.11 (101) def. Sydney Swans      8.14  (62)
 St Kilda          19. 8 (122) def. Collingwood       9. 9  (63)
 Kangaroos         13.16  (94) def. Western Bulldogs 12.10  (82)

The Saints regain their passion with a strong win over the Magpies. Dockers, Cats, Eagles with expected wins. Unexpected wins to the Tigers over the Power and Roos over the Bulldogs. Crows continue gather momentum in their win over the Swans. Demons in dogged fight over the Lions, come out in front.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2006, 02:26:32 am »
Round 15 results:

Melbourne          9.16  70        def.   Richmond       7.10  52
 St Kilda          11. 8  74            def.   Essendon      10.11  71
 Adelaide          16.13 109        def.   Hawthorn      11. 7  73
 Brisbane Lions    12.13  85      def.   Kangaroos     11.18  84
 West Coast Eagles  9.13  67   def.   Sydney Swans   9.11  65
 Geelong            9.14  68          def.   Port Adelaide  8.10  58
 Western Bulldogs  16.14 110  def.   Carlton       11.14  80
 Fremantle         18.11 119       def.   Collingwood   15.14 104

Great round this week with some really close games. St. Kilda 3 points winners over Essendon, Brisbane 1 point victory over the Kangaroos, and the Eagles come from behind to beat Sydney by 2 points. Other victories to Melbourne, Adelaide, Geelong, Western Bulldogs and Fremantle. The West Coast vs Sydney game was played like a final and the Eagles got out of jail again. Great game.

Offline Muzzmo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2006, 06:05:16 am »

Collingwood!

Notorious fast starters.

Still way to early to say...but "most likely to come undone"...maybe Sydney.

Collingwood and Sydney have fallen out of the Top 4 replaced by the Western Bulldogs and Melbourne.

Both have lost four of their last five games.

With 7 rounds to go the ladder looks like:

Adelaide - 52 points
West Coast - 48 points
Melbourne - 44 points
Western Bulldogs - 40 points
St Kilda - 36 points
Collingwood - 36 points
Sydney - 32 points
Fremantle - 32 points

Richmond - 32 points
Geelong - 28 points
Brisbane - 24 points
Port - 24 points
Kangaroos - 20 points
Hawthorn - 20 points
Carlton - 8 points
Essendon - 4 points

Offline mr_mad_master

• Posts Utter Shite
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mwa
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2006, 12:50:55 pm »
Kanga's 1 point loss to the lions was the end of our finals chances i feel. had we beaten them we would of won 4 in a row and could of gone on to scrap it out for 7/8th spot. But to go down by a point is heart breaking. Still looking foward to going up to York Park to watch them play the Hawks
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 77 78 81 84 05

Offline Emerald Red

• Legacy Fan
  • since 1956
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2006, 05:29:07 pm »
Swans were leading all day against the Eagles,
..... except when it mattered ..... gutted   :(

top 4 spot could be slipping away .....

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2006, 06:55:28 pm »
Swans were leading all day against the Eagles,
..... except when it mattered ..... gutted   :(

Allow us some revenge for September ;)

Offline Muzzmo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2006, 02:19:55 am »
Roos positive despite lopsided umpiring

Even after a spirit-draining loss in last night's grand final rematch, Sydney coach Paul Roos hadn't lost his sense of humour.

Faced with his second umpiring controversy in as many visits to Subiaco Oval against the Eagles, Roos planted his tongue in his cheek before giving a good-natured answer on the whistleblowers on the night.

Last time they were in the West, for the 2005 qualifying final, a controversial free kick reversal, later confirmed wrong by the AFL, handed Eagle Tyson Stenglein a critical momentum-changing goal in a game the Swans lost by less than a kick.

This time, it was the overall umpire form that was the issue, with the free-kick count running 34-18 against Sydney, with some statisticians having Scott McLaren awarding 14 free kicks to the Eagles and only two to Sydney.

Roos first laughed when told of the statistic, then made a carefully worded response about the umpires.

"We obviously need to do a lot of work on our tackling," Roos said. "We need to do a lot of work on our stoppages and around the ball because we were disgraceful at that tonight if that (the free kick count) is the case. If we were 34-18, we have got a massive improvement in that area. Obviously in front of one umpire, we were disgraceful."

Roos would not be drawn on whether the loss left his team with too much work to do to make the top four. "You have got to try to be positive," he said. "There is a lot of footy ahead of us and we played a lot better tonight. It was a good effort and it could have gone either way like the grand final last year. We are 8-7 and we have Richmond next week."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/07/16/1152637926313.html

Offline Muzzmo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2006, 08:43:17 am »
And in other news:

The AFL career of troubled Michael Gardiner looks to be over at West Coast, after the club suspended him indefinitely over an alcohol-related car crash.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/07/18/1153166383527.html

Gary O'Donnell will coach Essendon against Carlton this week, the first time in 26 years that anyone other than Kevin Sheedy has led in the Dons' coach's box.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/07/19/1153166455746.html

The AFL have provided cash strapped Carlton with financial assistance as follows:

■Immediate $1.5 million interest-free loan (must be repaid by October 31, 2008).

■$500,000 grant from AFL's annual special distribution to help maintain its ground (where Carlton and umpires train, TAC Cup games and under-18 championships are held).

Carlton must agree to:

■Monthly balance statements and business plans to be presented to the AFL.

■AFL commissioner Mike Fitzpatrick will attend Carlton board meetings as an independent observer.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2006, 11:17:22 am »
Didn't the AFL fine Carlton about a mil for breaking the salary cap rules? And that 1 mil is partly why they are in so much trouble?
Obi-Wan:

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2006, 11:30:49 am »
Didn't the AFL fine Carlton about a mil for breaking the salary cap rules? And that 1 mil is partly why they are in so much trouble?

Here was I hoping the Blues would be shipped of to Canberra: or even better to Darwin or Tasmania. Damn AFL: it's evolution - the strongest survive, and the AFL shouldn't interfere if Carlton were going to become insolvent.  :no
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Muzzmo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2006, 02:06:09 am »
Didn't the AFL fine Carlton about a mil for breaking the salary cap rules?

Yes.

And that 1 mil is partly why they are in so much trouble?

Yes.

- the club was fined nearly $1 million in late 2002 after being found guilty of systematic breaches of the salary cap under former president John Elliott.

Other factors:

- the Blues' membership is around 6,000 down on last year resulting in reduced revenue

- their financial position has not been helped by the club's on-field performance with the Blues having endured the worst five years in their history.  Since the start of 2002 the club has won roughly a quarter of their matches played and has suffered from also missing out on draft picks as a result of its salary cap breaches.

- they are being forced to pay for the upkeep of a ground from which they no longer receive income by playing matches there (Princes Park).

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=266262

Like Michael Gardiner at West Coast, Nick Davis (Sydney) and Jason Akermanis (Brisbane) have been dropped indefinitely.

A final split between the Brisbane Lions and Jason Akermanis appears inevitable, with the Lions dumping the controversial onballer for the second time this season.

An official statement from the Lions said the 2001 Brownlow medallist and reigning club champion's comments in yet another media interview had caused great concern and "convinced us that (Akermanis) was not prepared to accept the team-first attitude required of all our players".

The statement said that Akermanis' future selection "will be determined by Jason's ongoing action".

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/07/20/1153166521031.html

Sydney coach Paul Roos has made it clear that Nick Davis would not be considered for senior selection until he convinced his coaches and teammates that he was "interested in playing with them".

Davis made headlines last week when he claimed he had been made a scapegoat by Roos for the team's loss to Adelaide, and felt the reasons for which he was dropped were not "fair and just". Roos deemed it to be a serious breach of trust that Davis would speak out in such a way.

Nick Davis went from mud-slinging to playing in the mud for Sydney's reserves

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/07/16/1152988413721.html

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 02:27:30 am by Muzzmo »

Offline Emerald Red

• Legacy Fan
  • since 1956
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2006, 10:48:44 am »
The Swans have to start winning again tonight

quarter-time score :     SYDNEY  27-12  RICHMOND

they ran away with it in the end :

SYDNEY  101 - 53  RICHMOND
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 03:06:58 pm by Emerald Red »

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2006, 02:44:36 am »
Round 16 results:
Adelaide       19.10 124 def. Kangaroos          7.10  52
Collingwood    19.13 127 def. West Coast Eagles 13.12  90
Essendon       16. 9 105 drew. Carlton           15.15 105
Brisbane Lions 11.18  84 def. Hawthorn          11. 8  74
Sydney Swans   14.17 101 def. Richmond           7.11  53
St Kilda        8.16  64 def. Port Adelaide      8.12  60
Geelong        13.12  90 def. Western Bulldogs  13.11  89
Fremantle      15. 6  96 def. Melbourne          9.13  67

Draw between arch enemies Carlton and Essendon. The wooden spoon battle is still on. Port Adelaide blew their chance at victory, with a bad kick for goal after the siren to give St. Kilda the win. Game of the round, Geelong vs Western Bulldogs...end to end stuff...what a game.

Offline Emerald Red

• Legacy Fan
  • since 1956
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2006, 01:40:47 pm »
 RESULTS so far

Collingwood     113 -  68   Hawthorn
St Kilda          174 -  71   Richmond
West Coast     165 -  83   Adelaide
Essendon        160 - 123  Brisbane
Port Adelaide     50 -  77  Sydney

LADDER (W/L)