Author Topic: RIP Ray Clemence  (Read 22988 times)

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Re: RIP Ray Clemence
« Reply #360 on: November 22, 2020, 12:14:27 am »
I have just thought a little more and you know I cannot remember Ray making any mistakes, I am sure he did but he felt so solid. I remember Bruce's and other's from that era but not Ray. That was why it felt a little strange when he went to Spurs, he was 33 but it never felt like he was finished and it was a fitting end to keep a clean sheet in a EC final against Real Madrid. It does not get much better than that for a keeper.
Slightly before my time and not for us but remember seeing an interview with Kenny where he was taking the piss after putting the ball through his legs for Scotland v England. He was so good he even saved his mistakes for when they didn’t matter.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #361 on: November 22, 2020, 12:37:53 am »
Slightly before my time and not for us but remember seeing an interview with Kenny where he was taking the piss after putting the ball through his legs for Scotland v England. He was so good he even saved his mistakes for when they didn’t matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgvgOxVzSMw
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: November 22, 2020, 12:53:22 am »
https://youtu.be/-1BIJWNJRGU

The bit I remember is from about 16:30 of this link, it’s a Scottish TV programme from the 80s about Kenny. Very short part with Ray about the goal. Didn’t take the piss at all -memory failure!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 01:03:48 am by duvva »

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: November 22, 2020, 12:57:24 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgvgOxVzSMw
Yep that’s the goal. Just found the programme I recall it from posted above

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #364 on: November 22, 2020, 01:11:04 am »
Yep that’s the goal. Just found the programme I recall it from posted above

There was a real rivalry at that time between England and Scotland. Scotland had 3 or 4 genuine World class players and England were in the doldrums exacerbated by missing out on the 78 World Cup.

The irony was that England had a paucity of genuine world-class players but two of the best keepers on the planet in Clem and Peter Shilton. The remarkable thing is that even though they shared the goalkeeper position they still managed 125 and 61 caps.

In another era Clem or Shilton would have ended up with 150 caps +.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: November 22, 2020, 03:49:21 pm »

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #366 on: November 22, 2020, 05:09:27 pm »
We all know how much it hurts with no fans at the game...but stings a bit more tonight not being able to give Clem the send off he deserved....hope when we get back to ' normal' we can revisit these moments in a special  way.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: November 22, 2020, 05:51:19 pm »
We all know how much it hurts with no fans at the game...but stings a bit more tonight not being able to give Clem the send off he deserved....hope when we get back to ' normal' we can revisit these moments in a special  way.
Yes years of standing behind him, sharing humour and great moments with him, part of our youths, you want to be in the ground today to say goodbye
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: November 22, 2020, 06:08:06 pm »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: November 22, 2020, 06:10:59 pm »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: November 22, 2020, 06:52:38 pm »

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #371 on: November 22, 2020, 09:16:40 pm »
Marvellous. And a clean sheet too. It had to be!
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #372 on: November 22, 2020, 09:19:11 pm »
Clean sheet.

Maybe Nike can make a GK jersey next year in the same colour of that 1981 jersey to honour the great man.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: November 22, 2020, 09:27:46 pm »
Perfect way to honour Ray

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #374 on: November 22, 2020, 09:47:38 pm »
The way Alisson sprinted to the corner to win a slide tackle felt very Clemence from the clips I saw earlier this week. Nice tributes pre-game.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #375 on: November 23, 2020, 01:06:41 am »
Quite fitting us and Spurs kept clean sheets this weekend. I saw Clem's tweet to Alisson a couple of months ago when news came out he was unwell, it mentioned how the players are realising what a special place this is to play football. I think he'd have been proud to see us back at the top of the game.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: November 23, 2020, 01:09:46 pm »