Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1806781 times)

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
Re: Liverpool's Midfield
« Reply #7880 on: March 17, 2015, 11:19:53 am »
Absolutely, Lucas isn't walking back into the team unless Allen gets injured or his form goes off a cliff.  We won't change a winning team and Allen is doing nothing that would warrant him being taken out of the team, he and Henderson have been outstanding during this run they've had starting together.

Were you  saying that about Allen in the first half of yesterdays game?  Or against Beşiktaş?

Rodgers is consistently changing a winning team so I'm not sure why you are saying that.  Lovren had done OK by general consensus but as soon as Sakho was fit he came straight back in.  Lucas and Henderson were also outstanding when paired together.
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7881 on: March 17, 2015, 11:24:12 am »
Allen has just won MOTM, id be shocked to see him dropped for the next game
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7882 on: March 17, 2015, 11:38:44 am »
It isn't,  and I bet you weren't saying that first half......

Sorry but the numbers speak for themselves.

We've won 100% of our league games with those two starting these past few months. We've won in many different ways and been incredibly impressive.

Our defence is rock solid, our attack improving and looks very balanced and the midfield has been a big part of both of those things.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7883 on: March 17, 2015, 11:41:08 am »
Were you  saying that about Allen in the first half of yesterdays game?  Or against Beşiktaş?

Rodgers is consistently changing a winning team so I'm not sure why you are saying that.  Lovren had done OK by general consensus but as soon as Sakho was fit he came straight back in.  Lucas and Henderson were also outstanding when paired together.

Yes, if you want to look in the half-time thread of last night's game then you would find that I said that I thought Allen was among those who had played well. 

We'll see what happens but I really don't think Lucas is getting back in a team that has won five league games in a row, has equalled a club record of more than forty years for clean sheets in away games and is on the verge of breaking into the top four.  Allen has been key to that in recent weeks, he was MOTM against Man City and was outstanding last night. 

Lucas was excellent and deserved his place in the team.  His misfortune in getting injured gave Allen an opportunity which he has grabbed with both hands and he's done more than enough to keep his place. 

Are we worse off without Lucas at the moment?  No.  If results had suffered without him then you'd have a case but they haven't and Allen has more than played his part in keeping our momentum going.  Lovren did OK but not enough to keep Sakho out of the team, Allen has done more than enough to stay in this team ahead of Lucas.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:55:52 am by Djimi Smicer »

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7884 on: March 17, 2015, 11:53:55 am »

Yeah but that's awfully inconvenient for the argument that Lucas single-handedly turned our form and season around when he was reintroduced to the team, so you know, nah.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #7885 on: March 17, 2015, 12:16:34 pm »
Reminded me of Verratti's performance vs. The Rent Boys when they were down to 10 men.

Joe kept getting on the ball when we were in trouble and passing his way out, was so busy in midfield
giving people options with his movement.

Would have been awesome if he had of put his chance away.

He can definitely add the odd goal to his game because he's such an off the charts intelligent footballer
His ability to find space and make himself available translates to the final third
The only problem is as our deepest lying midfielder he's never actually there :)

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #7886 on: March 17, 2015, 12:26:45 pm »
Yes, if you want to look in the half-time thread of last night's game then you would find that I said that I thought Allen was among those who had played well. 

We'll see what happens but I really don't think Lucas is getting back in a team that has won five league games in a row, has equalled a club record of more than forty years for clean sheets in away games and is on the verge of breaking into the top four.  Allen has been key to that in recent weeks, he was MOTM against Man City and was outstanding last night. 

Lucas was excellent and deserved his place in the team.  His misfortune in getting injured gave Allen an opportunity which he has grabbed with both hands and he's done more than enough to keep his place. 

Are we worse off without Lucas at the moment?  No.  If results had suffered without him then you'd have a case but they haven't and Allen has more than played his part in keeping our momentum going.  Lovren did OK but not enough to keep Sakho out of the team, Allen has done more than enough to stay in this team ahead of Lucas.

If you were going to play Lucas vs Man United is a game you'd at least think about it
He's soooo good aerially and could really help the RCB vs Fellani and they don't have as much mobility as most of the top 6 teams
Don't think it will happen but if Rodgers wanted to he could play Lucas at the base of a 3-4-3 diamond
Agree you can't pick him over Allen at the moment though

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7887 on: March 17, 2015, 12:27:30 pm »
Were you  saying that about Allen in the first half of yesterdays game?
Er, yes?

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7888 on: March 17, 2015, 12:29:36 pm »
If you were going to play Lucas vs Man United is a game you'd at least think about it
He's soooo good aerially and could really help the RCB vs Fellani and they don't have as much mobility as most of the top 6 teams
Don't think it will happen but if Rodgers wanted to he could play Lucas at the base of a 3-4-3 diamond
Agree with this. If Rodgers was open to tinkering, would actually make a ton of sense in theory to bring in Lucas for this one. But it's almost impossible to drop either Allen or Henderson in their current form, and Lucas won't be match fit.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7889 on: March 17, 2015, 12:35:47 pm »

Fair point, a tinkering with the formation could give him or Gerrard a way back in.  On current form neither should replace Allen and/or Henderson.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7890 on: March 17, 2015, 12:39:13 pm »
If he is our best player, then it shows really where we are as a club. A player that is really still in a growth stage of his career, can we expect him at this stage to lead our line and attack like Suarez and Torres did before him?
Well he has this season, and look where we are as a result, amidst a quite frank crop of very poor opposition (Spurs, Utd, Everton and Arsenal to some extent).

Real terms, 80-100k is more than enough for him. 150k is quite outlandish considering he is no where near the finished article. Poor passer, poor decision maker, poor shooter. Plus points, pace to burn, good dribbling. But really so much more learning for this kid to do before commanding that size of salary.

There's too much nonsense in here for a single post ::)

Offline Zephyr

• Thinks of RAWK whilst pleasuring himself
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #7891 on: March 17, 2015, 12:48:37 pm »
Delighted with our midfield, at the moment. Rodgers really has turned it all around.

:scarf
Mint-Berry Crunch!

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7892 on: March 17, 2015, 01:03:13 pm »
Rodgers will alter it though to use him. That was clear when he came on.

And it worked.
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7893 on: March 17, 2015, 01:17:52 pm »

The key issue isn't Lucas or Allen. The key issue is Lucas/Allen as a type. Those who gloat over the probable omission of Lucas were even more scathing about Allen before Lucas came in earlier in the season. They don't appreciate the usefulness of attending to the midfield basics consistently and before any other qualities come to be considered for the midfield. They'd be glad to be rid of Lucas, and when the time comes they'll be glad to be rid of Allen too, in order to get in a more "dynamic" CM. And by dynamic I mean someone who doesn't do so much of the basic work, as the basic work is often denigrated (until a period when the lack of such results in the midfield not working), and every quality but the midfield essentials is highlighted as a plus (and the essentials are assumed to be part of any package, when this is pointed out).
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7894 on: March 17, 2015, 01:23:55 pm »
Were you  saying that about Allen in the first half of yesterdays game?
Of course. Mignolet and Allen were our best players in that half by some distance.

Your comparision with Lovren doesn't really apply either. Lovren did ok in Sakho's absence, having previously been terrible, but Allen has been among our best players since Lucas got injured. Man of the match both yesterday and against City, for example. Nice problem to have though, and I wouldn't mind seeing Allen and Lucas together for a game when the latter is back.

Offline Mike Basset

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7895 on: March 17, 2015, 01:33:17 pm »
Joe Allen HAS to play on Sunday.

United have a fairly slow team, but many players that if given space can play some excellent passes. The key is to deny them that space in dangerous areas, and Allen's constant hassling and nipping at the toes of opposition players is exactly what we will need to stop them.

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7896 on: March 17, 2015, 01:46:55 pm »
Allen will play because his form is excellent.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #7897 on: March 17, 2015, 01:48:10 pm »
Allen will play because his form is excellent.

Plus Lucas is injured, and if not probably won't be ready for the United game to start.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7898 on: March 17, 2015, 01:55:12 pm »
The key issue isn't Lucas or Allen. The key issue is Lucas/Allen as a type. Those who gloat over the probable omission of Lucas were even more scathing about Allen before Lucas came in earlier in the season. They don't appreciate the usefulness of attending to the midfield basics consistently and before any other qualities come to be considered for the midfield. They'd be glad to be rid of Lucas, and when the time comes they'll be glad to be rid of Allen too, in order to get in a more "dynamic" CM. And by dynamic I mean someone who doesn't do so much of the basic work, as the basic work is often denigrated (until a period when the lack of such results in the midfield not working), and every quality but the midfield essentials is highlighted as a plus (and the essentials are assumed to be part of any package, when this is pointed out).
You're quite fond of this line of argument, but I think you'll find almost everyone in here appreciates what Lucas and Allen do. I personally like to gloat about our form without Lucas because there's a Cult of Lucas that likes to attribute all our improvement to him, but he's certainly played well this year when he's gotten in the game and restored balance to us. I'd also, however, be perfectly happy to be rid of Lucas in the summer, as he's slowing down physically and gets injured a lot, though only if we get another midfielder who can do the Allen/Lucas things well, perhaps with a bit more progressive ability and mobility than Lucas.

I suppose you might have a point when we dream about Pjanic--and I must admit I think a Pjanic-Henderson midfield would do pretty well, if perhaps not to the point of being worth Pjanic's transfer fee--but almost no one is trying to argue we don't need midfielders who do the simple things.

If those of us who like the more "dynamic" midfielders like to mock anything, it's those who have seemed desperate to sign the new Momo Sissoko. I definitely want a Joe Allen in my side, but I can't abide these glorified center backs playing midfield.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 01:58:35 pm by ElstonGunn »

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7899 on: March 17, 2015, 02:09:42 pm »
Allen is more of a Rodgers' type player than Lucas. He hassles opponents, has brilliant control and turns around players all attributes Rodgers has liked in his players.

This could be a factor in the long term.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7900 on: March 17, 2015, 02:17:38 pm »
Allen is more of a Rodgers' type player than Lucas. He hassles opponents, has brilliant control and turns around players all attributes Rodgers has liked in his players.

I think I agree, though I'm sure Rodgers appreciates Lucas as well. Even more simply, he's mobile, and I think, Gerrard aside, mobility is one of Rodgers' most prized attributes.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7901 on: March 17, 2015, 02:29:40 pm »
You're quite fond of this line of argument, but I think you'll find almost everyone in here appreciates what Lucas and Allen do. I personally like to gloat about our form without Lucas because there's a Cult of Lucas that likes to attribute all our improvement to him, but he's certainly played well this year when he's gotten in the game and restored balance to us. I'd also, however, be perfectly happy to be rid of Lucas in the summer, as he's slowing down physically and gets injured a lot, though only if we get another midfielder who can do the Allen/Lucas things well, perhaps with a bit more progressive ability and mobility than Lucas.

I suppose you might have a point when we dream about Pjanic--and I must admit I think a Pjanic-Henderson midfield would do pretty well, if perhaps not to the point of being worth Pjanic's transfer fee--but almost no one is trying to argue we don't need midfielders who do the simple things.

If those of us who like the more "dynamic" midfielders like to mock anything, it's those who have seemed desperate to sign the new Momo Sissoko. I definitely want a Joe Allen in my side, but I can't abide these glorified center backs playing midfield.

I remember one poster talking about how midfielder X is better than Lucas on a number of grounds. Among the things he listed, none of them related to midfield basics, and I noted that brains was the most glaring omission. There is a popular current, perhaps not so popular when things aren't going well, of ignoring the value of consistently providing what I consider to be the essentials of any midfield. One of its forms was the argument that you don't need a midfield if you can bank on outscoring the opposition.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #7902 on: March 17, 2015, 02:39:03 pm »

*Retweets*

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #7903 on: March 17, 2015, 02:52:24 pm »

are you therefore implying that Lucas doesn't have brilliant ball control or the ability to turn around players? 
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #7904 on: March 17, 2015, 02:54:24 pm »
Fukin hell, what is with this championing of Lucas?

I mean he's a great lad, a damn fine player but why in the eyes of a few does every midfield solution have to include him?

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #7905 on: March 17, 2015, 02:56:22 pm »
are you therefore implying that Lucas doesn't have brilliant ball control or the ability to turn around players?

Yea he doesn't.

That's not his strength. Not right now anyway.
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7906 on: March 17, 2015, 02:56:59 pm »

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #7907 on: March 17, 2015, 02:57:29 pm »
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7908 on: March 17, 2015, 03:00:14 pm »
Hahahaaa.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #7909 on: March 17, 2015, 03:04:37 pm »
Fukin hell, what is with this championing of Lucas?

I mean he's a great lad, a damn fine player but why in the eyes of a few does every midfield solution have to include him?

Our midfield is playing very well.

But not to put the kibosh on them, if I could have anyone matched up against Fellaini it would be Lucas.
Allen has been in terrific form but has struggled in the past to compete with the physicality of Fellaini when he's in the middle of the park.

Not saying that it's not an opportunity for Joe to level up the scores with Ole Pube-Head, but in the past he's had the edge over him
whereas Lucas has had him in his pocket.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 03:06:16 pm by DeLeiva »

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #7910 on: March 17, 2015, 03:04:48 pm »
Haha

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7911 on: March 17, 2015, 04:20:26 pm »

hahahahahaha :lmao

Think you're spot on about mobility though, especially when it allows players to play in multiple positions. Half our team seems to play about 4 different positions during the season  ;D Rodgers' tactical nouse is nearly unmatched when it comes to changing systems
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #7912 on: March 17, 2015, 04:20:59 pm »

It's ironic to me that every time Lucas or Allen actually show some dynamism they look 3 times the player and we look far better because of it. The suggestion that they, or any midfielder concerned, gives up something to their game because they exhibit these traits is simply misplaced. Similarly that it hurts us as a team is incorrect IMO.

Personally, though, I'd want to keep Lucas. He'd be the longest-standing player at the club and he is definitely a leader in the dressing room. Apart from that, I think a player like him in those tough European games (especially away from home) can be invaluable. With Gerrard leaving, there is room for all these players and a midfielder like Pjanic.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 04:23:41 pm by Halcyon Lissome »
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7913 on: March 17, 2015, 04:26:06 pm »

It's ironic to me that every time Lucas or Allen actually show some dynamism they look 3 times the player and we look far better because of it. The suggestion that they, or any midfielder concerned, gives up something to their game because they exhibit these traits is simply misplaced. Similarly that it hurts us as a team is incorrect IMO.

Personally, though, I'd want to keep Lucas. He'd be the longest-standing player at the club and he is definitely a leader in the dressing room. Apart from that, I think a player like him in those tough European games (especially away from home) can be invaluable. With Gerrard leaving, there is room for all these players and a midfielder like Pjanic.

Wouldn't Pjanic be an upgrade on Henderson, rather than a replacement for Lucas/Allen, though? Honestly I don't watch enough of him to say for sure, but that's been my impression from the snippets I have seen.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #7914 on: March 17, 2015, 04:27:02 pm »

Having the pair of them gives us fantastic options. If we are under the cosh we can bring one of them off the bench to tighten up our defence or we can have them run themselves into the group safe in the knowledge you can mix and match off the bench without a drop in quality.

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7915 on: March 17, 2015, 04:35:02 pm »
Our midfield is playing very well.

But not to put the kibosh on them, if I could have anyone matched up against Fellaini it would be Lucas.
Allen has been in terrific form but has struggled in the past to compete with the physicality of Fellaini when he's in the middle of the park.

Not saying that it's not an opportunity for Joe to level up the scores with Ole Pube-Head, but in the past he's had the edge over him
whereas Lucas has had him in his pocket.

The last time I saw Allen and Fellaini go at it was at Goodison were Fellaini got so pissed off at Allen constantly hassling him he threw a sly boot to Allens back that should of seen him given a straight red. It was the same old argument v Dembele as well until of course a few seasons back when Allen came on and bossed Dembele and we went on to beat 3-2 Spurs at Anfield.

This physicality argument is tired shite that quite simply isn't true. Xavi and Iniesta are the most unphysical players going yet no fucker could get near them for years.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #7916 on: March 17, 2015, 04:49:28 pm »
The last time I saw Allen and Fellaini go at it was at Goodison were Fellaini got so pissed off at Allen constantly hassling him he threw a sly boot to Allens back that should of seen him given a straight red. It was the same old argument v Dembele as well until of course a few seasons back when Allen came on and bossed Dembele and we went on to beat 3-2 Spurs at Anfield.

This physicality argument is tired shite that quite simply isn't true. Xavi and Iniesta are the most unphysical players going yet no fucker could get near them for years.

It's not shite, it's a fact (said in a Spainish accent) - Physically Joe is not as good as some other CM's.

Joe's got his positives, all of which I've been talking about all day.  But in the past, not one game or one incident where he got kicked once.
The recent Wales vs. Belgium matches and all the Derbies where Joe's played in the middle against Fellaini, he's not been able to shut him down.

Totally different players Dembele and Fellaini, not sure why you'd compare them apart from their nationality.
And I'm not talking about Joe on the ball, so why you've brought up Xavi and Iniesta not being touched is puzzling.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7917 on: March 17, 2015, 04:50:42 pm »
It's not shite, it's a fact (said in a Spainish accent) - Physically Joe is not as good as some other CM's.

Joe's got his positives, all of which I've been talking about all day.  But in the past, not one game or one incident where he got kicked once.
The recent Wales vs. Belgium matches and all the Derbies where Joe's played in the middle against Fellaini, he's not been able to shut him down.

Totally different players Dembele and Fellaini, not sure why you'd compare them apart from their nationality.
And I'm not talking about Joe on the ball, so why you've brought up Xavi and Iniesta not being touched is puzzling.

Allen struggled against Fellaini last season at OT?   ??? I don't think so.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #7918 on: March 17, 2015, 04:52:55 pm »
Allen struggled against Fellaini last season at OT?   ??? I don't think so.

Sorry, where did I say struggled?

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7919 on: March 17, 2015, 04:58:04 pm »
Sorry, where did I say struggled?

Ok, "didn't shut him down." He bossed Fellaini and the entire Utd midfield last season at their place. MotM performance.

Allen is well capable of shutting down yard dogs like Fellaini.