Author Topic: Hillsborough trial collapses  (Read 24754 times)

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Hillsborough trial collapses
« Reply #160 on: May 26, 2021, 08:43:11 pm »
Just seen one of the QCs for the defendants on C4 news, I’m paraphrasing but ‘I have absolutely huge sympathy for the families but there is no sense in persecuting people who were just doing their jobs, justice is about finding the truth.’

Just fuck off you horrible c*nt.

The absolute irony of that comment about the truth when the defendants have gotten off on a technicality is just utterly hateful. At least have the decency to shrink into the shadows and take your cheque for getting  criminals off the hook rather than justifying it on national tv.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: May 26, 2021, 08:50:25 pm »
Grim on so many levels. The legal set up in this country needs reform.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: May 26, 2021, 08:53:16 pm »
Just seen one of the QCs for the defendants on C4 news, I’m paraphrasing but ‘I have absolutely huge sympathy for the families but there is no sense in persecuting people who were just doing their jobs, justice is about finding the truth.’

Just fuck off you horrible c*nt.

The absolute irony of that comment about the truth when the defendants have gotten off on a technicality is just utterly hateful. At least have the decency to shrink into the shadows and take your cheque for getting  criminals off the hook rather than justifying it on national tv.

I am also struggling to understand this. What is there to gain by going on the radio and repeating old lies about rioting fans ?  Why justify your criminal clients actions on TV ?

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: May 26, 2021, 08:55:55 pm »
I am also struggling to understand this. What is there to gain by going on the radio and repeating old lies about rioting fans ?  Why justify your criminal clients actions on TV ?

Probably auditioning for a job for other high profile criminals - ‘not only will I get you off but I’ll protect your reputation by doubling down on the mantra on national TV.’

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: May 26, 2021, 08:56:59 pm »
I'm sure Andy will have a suitable response very soon........
[

He replied in the press conference from Anfield. He sounded angry on the radio.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #165 on: May 26, 2021, 09:00:01 pm »
There is no point in complaining to the BBC about Goldberg's comments. There is however a point in pointing out to Goldberg that his comments were wrong. Also that his interview with R5L went beyond his  defence of his clients. He didn't need to go on the radio.  I wrote to him on jonathan.goldberg@goldbergqc.com in order to complain about his attitude and spinning of lies about drunken fans . Others may want to do the same with dignity -  ie no threats.
Well I've complained to the beeb.....yes, for what it's worth. I've also emailed the QC - but, sorry, couldn't help myself and told him what I thought of the bellend. No posh wig is gonna tell me how our brothers and sisters behaved on that day - I was there....where was he ?

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: May 26, 2021, 09:04:08 pm »
I was a 13 year old kid in the Leppings seats behind the terrace. For some reason, I'd had it in my head I had a terrace ticket and I'd arranged to meet two mates from school under the score board. I'd been looking down at the empty pen at the side, to shout to them that I was up in the seats. As the end pen was so obviously empty with 15 minutes to kick off, was it possible we hadn't sold our allocation? Me, a 13 year old kid knew something didn't seem right. I'd been looking at the empty pen for over an hour.

But the gag's off and I can now say that the person who was supposed to be monitoring the pens had been on the ale for three hours.

It's weird for me. I always feel that Hillsborough hasn't affected me as much as it should have done. But tonight I feel sick.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2021, 09:12:22 pm »
Is that his email to you on Twitter?

Nope. Kept it between selves. I put a respectful  question to him about the cover up asking him how, if there was no cover up, did my sworn statement disappear, especially as it contained criticism of a particular officer who was asked for assistance and chose to flee the scene.
He was somewhat more respectful than telling me I wasn’t listening, as he appears to have put out an automated response.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2021, 09:14:08 pm »
Probably auditioning for a job for other high profile criminals - ‘not only will I get you off but I’ll protect your reputation by doubling down on the mantra on national TV.’

Another Beggs QC. The Masonic coppers choice of brief.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2021, 09:18:48 pm »
Nope. Kept it between selves. I put a respectful  question to him about the cover up asking him how, if there was no cover up, did my sworn statement disappear, especially as it contained criticism of a particular officer who was asked for assistance and chose to flee the scene.
He was somewhat more respectful than telling me I wasn’t listening, as he appears to have put out an automated response.

There's a lot on RAOTL who have had the same. His mobile number's been doing the rounds, don't worry, it wont get posted here (not by me anyway).
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline RedJim

• Nickname Thief!
  • Kopite
  • Liverbird Upon My Chest
« Reply #170 on: May 26, 2021, 09:50:19 pm »
Sickening that after having to keep quiet for so long, this QC is able to get straight on the radio and push that absolute pack of lies.

Devastated but sadly not at all surprised.

Have already sent that helmet a piece of my mind (politely), and put complaints in at the Bar Standards Board and BBC. Is there anything else at this point we can do?

Online Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #171 on: May 26, 2021, 10:29:55 pm »
We know that in life, in this era when there is an incomprehensible turn of events that favour the establishment the bold suckers who do their dirty washing do not compromise in sticking it to the common person who had the audacity to take them to court. It’s disgusting how the establishment have treated the Hillsborough families. Honestly whenever I travel I make sure I tell the truth about our corrupt c*nts in the legal system in this country. Any wonder ‘we are not English we are scouse’. JF96.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: May 26, 2021, 10:34:24 pm »
It stinks
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2021, 10:35:33 pm »
There is no doubt, as the judge observed, that the amendment and alteration of the accounts “has caused very considerable anxiety and distress amongst those most affected by the Hillsborough disaster”. There are enduring feelings of justice having been denied, of culpability evaded and accountability hollowed, and this case will do little to assuage beliefs that the criminal justice system has failed to ascribe criminal responsibility in circumstances where plainly it should.

But, limited comfort though it may be, it is perhaps worth bearing in mind the very particular reasons for this ruling.

“What was in Mr Metcalf’s mind is not the issue”, the judge said in reaching his decision. In other words, however improper or pure his motive may have been – and there was no finding on that front – his actions simply didn’t carry a significant risk of perverting any proceedings that would, in law, amount to “the course of justice”. As a matter of law, the court found that the charges that the CPS had chosen to pursue could not be proved.

This was an acquittal. Not moral absolution.

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2021/05/26/the-hillsborough-judgment-what-just-happened/
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2021, 11:18:52 pm »
This country is the fucking pits

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline RAWK Meltdown #1

• "Assume they got our phones, assume they got our houses, assume they got us, right here, right now as we sit, everything. Assume it all..."
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • " When You Have To Shoot..Shoot...don't TIKI-TAKA"
« Reply #176 on: May 26, 2021, 11:23:40 pm »
As I'm understanding this, this trial has "broken down" because of a technicality regarding legally binding evidence and some judicial version of "you can't put a square peg in a round hole" type bullshit.....

Now that's ONE thing, and by god, that's going to need to be re-examined with this terrible outcome as a working precedent, but the really galling aspect of this is that the statements being uttered by the defendant's representatives have adopted the tone of a "victory" and "exoneration" in lieu of NOTHING but the technicality which caused the trial to break down.

They're using that technicality to assume a posture of victory and vindication, even to the point of being bold enough to re-engage some of the insult and slander that the 2016 inquiry categorically identified as fallacious and untrue.

Nobody here has been "cleared" of the evidence tampering claim that was brought to light in 2016.

All that's happened is a rather belated discovery that there exists no legally binding pathway for a prosecution to proceed.

The defendant's representatives have naturally tried to default to the "innocent until PROVEN guilty" narrative as one might expect, even in the wake of a broken down trial, and it smacks of the kind of bold push-back statements made in defence of John Gotti each time he was able to wriggle out of indictments back in the late eighties.

For defence councils, a trial's "breaking down" is essentially as good as a win in terms of what their brief is, and what they're trying to achieve for their client. They'll naturally try and spin this into an exoneration of sorts....basically because they know they CAN.

Some kind of change needs to be brought about in the wake of this IMHO.

This outcome utterly devalues everything which went into shedding light on these events, basically rendering those things as superfluous and inconsequential.

Hopefully, this will create one final chapter in this Justice Campaign that is yet to be written.

There needs to be accountability IN LAW for every single thing the police do (or don't do) as it pertains to their interactions with the general public, and whatever trail this leaves in it's wake needs to be viewed as an active file of "live" documents that can be legally scrutinised in connection with their accuracy and intent.

That's why they were crowing about the transparency of the inquiry and the fact that these statements were there to be re-read and dissected. They were basically saying that had there really been a "cover up"...these police statements would have all been shredded or "misplaced" a long time ago.

Well if that were even legally possible....THAT TOO needs to be made illegal, and/or....each witness (in future) ought to be given a faithful duplicate of what exists on file somewhere to prevent that.

The establishment have "loop-holed" this.

Those holes now need to be closed, even if it's the very last thing this justice campaign is able to achieve!!

:(
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 11:34:30 pm by RAWK Meltdown #1 »
YNWA

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: May 26, 2021, 11:44:07 pm »
My thoughts are with the families and survivors this evening. I can’t imagine how it would feel to hold onto this grief for so long and repeatedly see no punishment handed out to those responsible. Why should the survivors and families be burdened with the grief and the lies while those responsible sleep soundly each night?

Again I’m ashamed of the justice system and those in charge.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Online darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2021, 12:10:01 am »
just hard to believe how such gross negligence and utter incompetence in regards policing and crowd control can go unpunished.

my heart goes out to the families who lost loved ones.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #179 on: May 27, 2021, 12:43:20 am »
As I'm understanding this, this trial has "broken down" because of a technicality regarding legally binding evidence and some judicial version of "you can't put a square peg in a round hole" type bullshit.....

Now that's ONE thing, and by god, that's going to need to be re-examined with this terrible outcome as a working precedent, but the really galling aspect of this is that the statements being uttered by the defendant's representatives have adopted the tone of a "victory" and "exoneration" in lieu of NOTHING but the technicality which caused the trial to break down.

They're using that technicality to assume a posture of victory and vindication, even to the point of being bold enough to re-engage some of the insult and slander that the 2016 inquiry categorically identified as fallacious and untrue.

Nobody here has been "cleared" of the evidence tampering claim that was brought to light in 2016.

All that's happened is a rather belated discovery that there exists no legally binding pathway for a prosecution to proceed.

The defendant's representatives have naturally tried to default to the "innocent until PROVEN guilty" narrative as one might expect, even in the wake of a broken down trial, and it smacks of the kind of bold push-back statements made in defence of John Gotti each time he was able to wriggle out of indictments back in the late eighties.

For defence councils, a trial's "breaking down" is essentially as good as a win in terms of what their brief is, and what they're trying to achieve for their client. They'll naturally try and spin this into an exoneration of sorts....basically because they know they CAN.

Some kind of change needs to be brought about in the wake of this IMHO.

This outcome utterly devalues everything which went into shedding light on these events, basically rendering those things as superfluous and inconsequential.

Hopefully, this will create one final chapter in this Justice Campaign that is yet to be written.

There needs to be accountability IN LAW for every single thing the police do (or don't do) as it pertains to their interactions with the general public, and whatever trail this leaves in it's wake needs to be viewed as an active file of "live" documents that can be legally scrutinised in connection with their accuracy and intent.

That's why they were crowing about the transparency of the inquiry and the fact that these statements were there to be re-read and dissected. They were basically saying that had there really been a "cover up"...these police statements would have all been shredded or "misplaced" a long time ago.

Well if that were even legally possible....THAT TOO needs to be made illegal, and/or....each witness (in future) ought to be given a faithful duplicate of what exists on file somewhere to prevent that.

The establishment have "loop-holed" this.

Those holes now need to be closed, even if it's the very last thing this justice campaign is able to achieve!!

:(
Nice post mate - very eloquently put. I agree completely - let's hope Burnham and others can push through a Hillsborough Law, which was curtailed last time because of the 2017 election. We need to pursue one last avenue.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #180 on: May 27, 2021, 03:06:51 am »
Flabbergasted

Astonished.

Shameful

Seething

Just a few emotions.

For the families and other victims of the day...Shame that it came to this. But oh so proud of the JFT96 fight. Don't bow your heads to the injustice. Hold them high. Because they can't take away the truth of what happened that day.

Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: May 27, 2021, 03:39:42 am »
Utterly appalling. I wish that I could say that I was shocked, but...

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #182 on: May 27, 2021, 07:29:21 am »
https://thesecretbarrister.com/2021/05/26/the-hillsborough-judgment-what-just-happened/

Same bloke attacked Andy Burnham for “not reading the full decision” of the judge.

And all his smarmy lawyer mates joined in. Totally ignoring what Goldberg had said.
Ranks closing.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #183 on: May 27, 2021, 07:32:16 am »
Same bloke attacked Andy Burnham for “not reading the full decision” of the judge.

And all his smarmy lawyer mates joined in. Totally ignoring what Goldberg had said.
Ranks closing.
We still know a few decent ones...

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: May 27, 2021, 07:38:02 am »
This has left me sick. I was already having a shit week but this is incalculably worse than anything I’ve had to deal with. It’s the sense of helplessness, that feeling that no matter how hard you fight, the system is just too heavily stacked against you.

My heart goes out to those who lost friends and loved ones. I can’t imagine how you must be feeling today after yet another kick in the teeth.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: May 27, 2021, 08:17:08 am »

He can fuck off. Smarmy c*nts first reaction was to have a pop at Burnham. Second was to try to prove how clever he is.

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2021, 08:30:16 am »
The legal system in Britain, as in US, is designed so that those who have power, and access behind closed doors, can engineer whatever judgment or decision they want.

"The world is governed by signs and symbols, not laws and words"
Confucius

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: May 27, 2021, 08:58:53 am »
There’s no point in looking to the full judgment, as in cases like this (that defy all common and moral sense) this is very carefully crafted to highlight certain points whilst ignoring others, all to ultimately justify the unconscionable decision of ‘no case to answer’. Judges are extremely careful when doing this, in order to ensure they stay the right side of an error in law and make their judgment appeal-proof in a higher court. It’s par for the course.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #188 on: May 27, 2021, 09:32:52 am »
He can fuck off. Smarmy c*nts first reaction was to have a pop at Burnham. Second was to try to prove how clever he is.

It's a fair point that reading the decision gives the answer to why the judge didn't let the jury decide the issue, which is the question Burnham asked to which he replied. There's a hole in the law here and it's not for the judge to make it up as he goes along. It needs changing so no-one else gets fairy tales from the police as witness statements when it comes to finding out what happened at an inquiry to prevent it happening again.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 09:44:02 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #189 on: May 27, 2021, 09:32:54 am »
@BrianReade
·
7h
Despite 164 police statements being “significantly amended” the judge believes the evidence was not strong enough to prove two ex-police officers and an ex-police solicitor perverted the course of justice.

when will this end
if me, you or anyone reading this amended a statement in court we would be banged to rights

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #190 on: May 27, 2021, 09:38:48 am »
Still shocked. Listened to Radio 4 news report this morning which was excellent and I just can’t believe how they are getting away with it.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: May 27, 2021, 11:03:44 am »
It's a fair point that reading the decision gives the answer to why the judge didn't let the jury decide the issue, which is the question Burnham asked to which he replied. There's a hole in the law here and it's not for the judge to make it up as he goes along. It needs changing so no-one else gets fairy tales from the police as witness statements when it comes to finding out what happened at an inquiry to prevent it happening again.

Honestly the hole in the law I find even more concerning than the judgement. I guess I've long accepted that the bastards will walk free. However, that police statements can be modified at will and that they (and i guess everyone) are allowed to lie in an enquiry, because it's not in court, makes all enquiries worthless.

Generally this country needs to sort its shit out with seemingly legal procedures that are not legally binding, even though they get acted as if they were.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline The-Originals

• Main Stander
« Reply #192 on: May 27, 2021, 11:54:09 am »
does Goldberg think he is getting away with this
Allez Allez Allez.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: May 27, 2021, 12:46:20 pm »

He will. The people who pay him and give him his fancy roles and titles don’t give a shit.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #194 on: May 27, 2021, 12:49:44 pm »
He already has. There'll be little, if any, blow-back on him - his mates will see to that.

Now we have to fight back YET AGAIN against the SAME FUCKING LIES that were peddled from the moment Duckenfield fucked up and then told the FA we'd stormed the gates. It's just unfuckingbelievable we're back there. It's like being thrown back in time - thankfully we have much, much more ammunition already out in the public domain to fire back with - and plenty more in reserve, that's a fucking promise.....

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: May 27, 2021, 01:42:57 pm »
The Athletic piece from Simon Hughes. Quite sure they won't make a fuss about the paywall:

I was fortunate enough to grow up living over the road from a park and in the early 1990s, I’d spend most of my evenings playing football.

My dad, who probably loves football more than me, could not resist getting involved himself.

Lots of other kids would join in with their dads. We’d have a big game. They were glorious days. The sun always seemed to be shining.

But on one occasion, a man walked slowly past. His hands were placed behind his back and his head was bowed. I sort of recognised him. He always looked sad. He lived nearby. His house backed onto the park. I can remember my dad telling me that he’d lost his son at Hillsborough. The man was called Christopher. His son had the same first name as me. He was 12 years older. He was Simon Bell.

It would take 25 years for the details of Simon’s life and death to be laid bare in a courtroom. In 2014, his sister Fiona read out a statement on behalf of the Bell family. It turned out Simon had a younger brother called Duncan. When Duncan and Simon attended their first match at Anfield together, they got off the train at Sandhills. Duncan wanted to see if there was a shortcut to the ground and ended up being chased by a group of boys. Simon saw what was happening and scared the boys away. He was a typical big brother.

Fiona described him as being “always popular with people; he could talk to adults as though they were friends”. Yet it was only after his death that the Bells found out how respected he was. His mother Joan remembered seeing 17-year-old Simon before he set off for the FA Cup semi-final on April 15, 1989.

Simon told her he might be home late as he would go to the nearby Northern Cricket Club on the way back from Sheffield. She asked him to pop in and see her before going anywhere else.

The knock on the door never came. Simon was crushed to death later that day, beside two friends. Gary Church was 19 and Christopher Devonside was 18. The verdict from the Hillsborough inquests, which concluded nearly two years after Fiona’s statement, analysed 14 points of contention.

It would find that Simon was one of 96 people who died in the disaster. It would find that there had been errors in police planning. It would find error in the way the police had manned the turnstiles at the stadium. It would find error from the police command. It would find error in the decision by the police commander to open the gates. It would find error around the issue of stadium safety. It would find planning error on behalf of Sheffield Wednesday but it would not find error in the conduct of Sheffield Wednesday’s staff.

It would find that the stadium design had contributed towards the crush and resulting deaths. It would find that stadium engineers could have done more. It would not find that supporters had caused danger. It would find error in the ambulance response. It would find error in the police response.
hillsborough-liverpool
96 Liverpool fans died as a result of the disaster on April 15, 1989 (Photo: David Cannon/Allsport)

Most significantly, it would find unlawful killing. After the last verdict was read out, I decided to jot down a few thoughts. It was April 26, 2016. I was sitting in front of a computer screen more than 27 years after the disaster, unsure whether it was my place to write anything at all.

I was only five years old when Hillsborough happened. I couldn’t remember the day. I couldn’t remember the aftermath. But I lived with its legacy. It affected every person in the city one way or another. I could remember Liverpool losing the league title in injury time to Arsenal in May 1989 and my dad telling me it didn’t really matter.

I could remember being taken to the corner shop on Forefield Lane in Crosby that summer by my nan who was minding me while my parents were at work. An old man was arguing with the shopkeeper. “If you don’t stop selling that shit, I’ll buy my paper from the place on Endbutt Lane,” he told him.

Considering Endbutt Lane was a 10-minute walk away and the old man had a walking stick, I considered it quite a statement. As he left, without buying anything, he turned to my nan and apologised for swearing. It transpired that copies of a publication that had printed lies about the role of Liverpool supporters at Hillsborough were still being sold in some places, despite a boycott.

We went on holiday that August, to Menorca. I could remember conversations near the pool and at the bar at night. They made me feel uncomfortable. I remember a heavy-looking father of two with an indeterminable middle-England accent and tattoos who kept making confident jokes about “you” Scousers, as if we had landed on the island having flown there from a different planet.

My mum wasn’t the type of person to tolerate it. She’d confront situations if she was unhappy. I think she called him a male chauvinist pig. That was her standard insult for men she didn’t like. He ended up leaving first, along with his tattooed wife.

From there, each anniversary was marked by a procession underpinned by hopelessness. It was only between the 15th and 20th anniversaries that I really began to appreciate the unfairness of it all.

Around the time of Hillsborough, I was too young to grasp its magnitude: the sorrow, the anger, the raw injustice. Liverpool had been framed as maudlin. Everyone had a chip on their shoulder. We felt sorry for ourselves. I did not recognise this image. The opposite was the case. It had to be.

What happened at Hillsborough and in the quarter of a century since was, all at once, the most desperate, the saddest and the most inspiring story ever told. The families never gave up. In 2016, I concluded that the verdicts from the inquests told any person that you should never be afraid to go your own way and to stand against authority, the bullies and the liars.

Not everyone will believe you. But you’ll get there in the end. Beneath all of that, I hoped Simon Bell’s family felt a little bit better.

As it was pointed out to me today, had 96 police officers or 96 politicians been unlawfully killed at Hillsborough, things would have no doubt been very different.

Instead, after nearly five years when suffering families have been told not to comment on legal proceedings because it might jeopardise the pursuit of a fair hearing, a judge has essentially thrown out the whole criminal case against two former police officers and an ex-solicitor on a technicality.

Former chief superintendent Donald Denton, former retired detective chief inspector Alan Foster and former solicitor Peter Metcalf were accused of trying to minimise the blame put on South Yorkshire Police following the disaster by altering statements. However, judge William Davis said the statements had been prepared for the public inquiry chaired by Lord Justice Taylor in 1990. He said this was not a statutory inquiry and therefore not considered “a court of law”. This meant it was not a “course of public justice” that could be perverted.

This means the only conviction has been against Graham Mackrell, then secretary of Sheffield Wednesday, who was found guilty of a single safety offence, and fined £6,500.

Within an hour of the judge’s ruling, Jonathan Goldberg, a QC who had previously acted on behalf of South Yorkshire Police, was allowed by Adrian Chiles, a radio presenter on the BBC, to accuse the Liverpool supporters of “perfectly appalling behaviour” on the day of the disaster, causing “a riot”. At no point did Chiles challenge him despite the overwhelming evidence and the findings against those claims, which include not only the results of the inquests in 2016 but the Hillsborough Independent Panel review four years before that.

On Merseyside, there is a pervading sense of history repeating itself, one where those claiming victory rewrite the story. The accusations by Goldberg were as inaccurate as they were appalling.

Families, who were informed about the development from a room in Liverpool’s St George’s Hall by video-link, had barely been able to process what was happening before smears were transmitted to a national audience.

It was an awful moment for broadcast journalism and an awful day for justice, the scales of which — as Manchester mayor Andy Burnham put it — are not just weighed against football supporters but “against ordinary people”.

Ordinary people like Simon Bell and his family.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #196 on: May 27, 2021, 01:47:18 pm »

He almost certainly will. I've no doubt he's now enjoying the publicity. I met him once. More than once. He struck me as someone who has contempt for everyone, including his own clients. He has shown that he has contempt for the truth, that's for sure. He may be a brilliant QC but he's clearly a lousy human being. The two often go together I think.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #197 on: May 27, 2021, 02:22:13 pm »
Establishment closes ranks and protects its own, once more. Shower of fucking shite the lot of them, I sincerely hope they all get some god awful disease and die a painful and lingering death, the shower of self serving fucking gobshites.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: May 27, 2021, 02:44:29 pm »
That Si Hughes article was very close to home for me. I know the places mentioned and it really brings home the way that at all junctures, those looking to vilify seek cover in the collective.

The fans, a riot, a mob etc. But what that article does, as so many have before it, is paint a picture of individuals who were parts of families, of neigbourhoods, of groups of friends. Those looking to denigrate overlook the human aspect. It's safer to dehumanise and describe them as a mob, no one challenges that. The naysayers should look at who these people were and ask themselves whether they are really any different than those that they attempt to describe as a rioting mob. They should also acquaint themselves with the facts of the case too, but then again the truth is a much devalued currency after the last  few years both sides of the Atlantic.

"Would you do these things? well what makes you think I would" is perhaps one of the most impactful lines I've ever seen from Tony Evans.

Interesting comment from Yorky too. The slippery bastard (not Yorky)even accused someone off here of not listening properly because what he said on radio was what the police had said, not what he believed.
Why then would you repeat something that has been proven to be untrue?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #199 on: May 27, 2021, 03:02:47 pm »
...The slippery bastard (not Yorky)even accused someone off here of not listening properly because what he said on radio was what the police had said, not what he believed.
Why then would you repeat something that has been proven to be untrue?

Which was a load of shite. He didn't caveat it in any way, just stated lies as facts.

The other thing that had me fuming was his comment that surely anyone in the position of the SYP would want to put their best face forward. No, you absolute c*nt, they should be telling the fucking truth and giving factual evidence.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.