Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1888404 times)

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #10520 on: June 13, 2021, 08:31:31 am »
The way things are looking financially across Europe this summer, it will be impossible to shift Keita without incurring at least a 50% loss on him. What clubs in Germany, France, Italy or Spain can even afford to spend £30m on a player (leaving aside arguments as to whether he is worth that any more)?

Unless there is some top half PL club willing to take a punt (he could do well at Southampton, West Ham, Villa, Spurs), I think Keita will get another season simply due to lack of alternative.

Offline Mozology

• Legacy Fan
  • FSG, spend some fucking money, miserable bastards
« Reply #10521 on: June 13, 2021, 11:24:52 pm »
I think Keita will get another season simply due to lack of alternative.

Agreed

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10522 on: June 14, 2021, 12:02:49 am »
The way things are looking financially across Europe this summer, it will be impossible to shift Keita without incurring at least a 50% loss on him.
Which would currently be an amazing result. If we stop kidding ourselves we have to admit his performances have been those of a £10m player, not a £50m one.

Cut our losses and move on, it's a rare (but hugely expensive) mistake by Edwards and co, but freeing up the wages and place in the squad will allow us to bring someone in who a) plays games and b) contributes when they do.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #10523 on: June 14, 2021, 01:23:47 am »
Which would currently be an amazing result. If we stop kidding ourselves we have to admit his performances have been those of a £10m player, not a £50m one.

Cut our losses and move on, it's a rare (but hugely expensive) mistake by Edwards and co, but freeing up the wages and place in the squad will allow us to bring someone in who a) plays games and b) contributes when they do.

a) we're thin in midfield

b) he is better than anyone we'll get to play 5th choice mid

c) if you do the math of selling him and buying someone else, we're better just keeping him.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Online 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #10524 on: June 14, 2021, 05:42:15 am »
a) we're thin in midfield

b) he is better than anyone we'll get to play 5th choice mid

c) if you do the math of selling him and buying someone else, we're better just keeping him.

I think he's part of the problem in that respect. Exacerbated by Ox's inability to get a game. Between them we have a 100 million pound spend simply occupying squad places. Given the financial hit of Covid, can we afford the luxury of keeping both?
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10525 on: June 14, 2021, 06:05:24 am »
I think he's part of the problem in that respect. Exacerbated by Ox's inability to get a game. Between them we have a 100 million pound spend simply occupying squad places. Given the financial hit of Covid, can we afford the luxury of keeping both?

Using Covid as an excuse to bash one of our own  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #10526 on: June 14, 2021, 08:22:07 am »
Not bashing him. Everyone and their dog on here concedes his talent. What can't be conceded by some is that a players availability forms a part of their value.

The reality is that all but the oil clubs are feeling the financial hit of Covid. We are also doing a stadium expansion. It was a question (note the question mark), not a bashing.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10527 on: June 14, 2021, 08:31:16 am »
You could also say given the financial hit of COVID, can we afford to sell them now either- their value today will be neglibile
A win for the Liverpool country

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #10528 on: June 14, 2021, 08:51:07 am »
Admittedly I have little understanding of football contracts. This time next year the pair will have only a year left on their contracts. Will their transfer value surely be less? They will also receive about 5 million each in wages (if they're on 100 / week), so another 10 m spent.

Putting it in purely financial terms is mercenary, but they have had 3 years to shine. Can we afford 2 very brittle midfielders going into year 4 of contracts?

This is a financial question.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #10529 on: June 14, 2021, 08:57:22 am »
Admittedly I have little understanding of football contracts. This time next year the pair will have only a year left on their contracts. Will their transfer value surely be less? They will also receive about 5 million each in wages (if they're on 100 / week), so another 10 m spent.

Putting it in purely financial terms is mercenary, but they have had 3 years to shine. Can we afford 2 very brittle midfielders going into year 4 of contracts?

This is a financial question.

...yeah, we probably can.

Obviously ideally we wouldnt have to, but what are the options? If we sell them their value will be a lot less than they're actually 'worth' if they were playing regularly (big if obviously). If we did decide we wanted to sell them, we're also then reliant on both of them choosing to move to a much poorer club at a lower level AND most likely taking fairly significant wage cuts I'd imagine. We can keep them and hope that eventually we do get a decent amount of football out of them, but then we've had that hope for a while.

Its not an easy situation for anyone. It'd be sods law that we sold Keita for a crazy low amount and then he gets over his injury record and someone else gets a top class CM still before his prime, for a song.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10530 on: June 14, 2021, 09:38:38 am »
...yeah, we probably can.

Obviously ideally we wouldnt have to, but what are the options? If we sell them their value will be a lot less than they're actually 'worth' if they were playing regularly (big if obviously). If we did decide we wanted to sell them, we're also then reliant on both of them choosing to move to a much poorer club at a lower level AND most likely taking fairly significant wage cuts I'd imagine. We can keep them and hope that eventually we do get a decent amount of football out of them, but then we've had that hope for a while.

Its not an easy situation for anyone. It'd be sods law that we sold Keita for a crazy low amount and then he gets over his injury record and someone else gets a top class CM still before his prime, for a song.
The Ed Woodward approach, in other words.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10531 on: June 14, 2021, 09:39:55 am »
The Ed Woodward approach, in other words.

...what?  ???
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10534 on: June 14, 2021, 10:47:25 am »
I would give him one last chance if I am Klopp.
Believer

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #10535 on: June 14, 2021, 11:39:47 am »
It’s a tough one.

Sell him and you may get about £10M which could be put towards another player. We’d have to sell 5 or 6 players to get one who would be in and around the first team.

Alternatively you keep Keita and hope his injury record improves. If so then you’ve saved a lot of money. However I don’t see his injury record improving and therefore you just have to take what is offered which won’t be a lot.
#JFT97

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10536 on: June 14, 2021, 11:43:14 am »
The upside to keeping him is far higher then any negatives if he has another injury riddled season.  He's clearly a top talent and if he can put together the type of run that people keep going on and on about then he'll be one of the best midfielders in the league.  If he is indeed "5th choice" you aren't going to find a better one so the gamble of keeping him and hoping he stays fit is one that I would take.  Whether Klopp and Edwards take that gamble is a question we'll soon find the answer to. 

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10537 on: June 14, 2021, 12:08:01 pm »
It’s a tough one.

Sell him and you may get about £10M which could be put towards another player. We’d have to sell 5 or 6 players to get one who would be in and around the first team.

Alternatively you keep Keita and hope his injury record improves. If so then you’ve saved a lot of money. However I don’t see his injury record improving and therefore you just have to take what is offered which won’t be a lot.

If, in this hypothetical, we can only receive £10million for him then the decision is incredibly easy. You Gini/Emre Can/Joel Matip it, and you see out his contract and extract as much value as you can for a high performing player (when fit).

The opportunity cost of saving his wages and getting £10million isn't going to go anywhere close to being able to afford to buy a player of similar quality that can play all season.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10538 on: June 14, 2021, 12:44:04 pm »
I think the most logical decision is to keep him and see what he does next season.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #10539 on: June 14, 2021, 01:42:11 pm »
Unless £30m Been offered I’d keep him and give him another Season

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #10540 on: June 14, 2021, 01:55:04 pm »
I think the most logical decision is to keep him and see what he does next season.

I think if a decent offer comes in (£25-35M) during the summer, or if we can include him in a player/cash swap deal, then he moves on.  It would be a huge risk keeping him with his injury record as if he has a similar season next year then he'll be coming into his final year and value will be next to nothing.

I'd love him to shine next season and be injury free because he has got the quality.  I think it was when he got injured at the Barca(?) game, he was having a good run up to then and was showing why we bought him.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #10541 on: June 14, 2021, 07:04:35 pm »
Presumably the medical team give the club far more insight into his likely availability than we can guess at?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #10542 on: June 14, 2021, 08:22:50 pm »
Presumably the medical team give the club far more insight into his likely availability than we can guess at?
Oh, I thought they read RAWK and that's how they form an informed medical opinion... ;)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #10543 on: June 15, 2021, 08:15:22 pm »
Oh, I thought they read RAWK and that's how they form an informed medical opinion... ;)
No. LFC staff have been banned from rawk, because they were making too many decisions based on the transfer threads.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Henderson19

• Main Stander
« Reply #10544 on: June 16, 2021, 03:46:15 am »
Keep. He will come good. Give him next season to prove it. I’ve still got faith.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #10545 on: June 16, 2021, 12:16:18 pm »
No chance anyone can say he will come good. The boss seemingly has no faith in him and the 'take him out and put him on a special fitness regime' thing has been done already.

He may end up staying with us by default but I reckon we'll take the 50% hit on him if offered this summer. For starters, Jones could take his minutes and develop his career.

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10546 on: June 16, 2021, 12:18:59 pm »
No chance anyone can say he will come good. The boss seemingly has no faith in him and the 'take him out and put him on a special fitness regime' thing has been done already.

He may end up staying with us by default but I reckon we'll take the 50% hit on him if offered this summer. For starters, Jones could take his minutes and develop his career.

Pretty much yeah. If his sale, or lack thereof, has no impact on our transfer business this summer in terms of getting Klopp's and Edwards top targets then fine to keep him.

If we are as dependent on player sales as the club has been hinting at via Pearce (which I don't think we are, think that's just posturing) then it makes the most sense to move him on for around 20-30m and reinvest in someone Klopp trusts and who, most importantly, is regularly available.

Online JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #10547 on: June 16, 2021, 12:24:12 pm »

That was mid-January and since that extended break he's missed 2 games with injury. I think it's too soon for anyone here to say with any certainty whether it helped or not.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10548 on: June 16, 2021, 01:23:15 pm »
Keep. He will come good. Give him next season to prove it. I’ve still got faith.

Getting deja vu here.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #10549 on: June 17, 2021, 10:35:56 am »
That was mid-January and since that extended break he's missed 2 games with injury. I think it's too soon for anyone here to say with any certainty whether it helped or not.

It didn't help him play in the actual team did it!!!!

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10550 on: June 17, 2021, 12:31:04 pm »
No way he goes for anything less than 30m. Anything less and he’s worth more to our squad and taking an in-house punt to try and rehabilitate his career and profile.

See it from the perspective of a buying club. You have the opportunity to have a potentially world class player controlling your midfield for the next 5-10 years if you can keep him fit and give him the love. I can see clubs bidding 25m + add ons, which still seems too cheap for a player of Naby’s ability.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10551 on: June 17, 2021, 01:21:58 pm »
Don't forget his book value will be lower than his transfer value so if, and it's a big if, we sell him a reduction in what we paid does not mean an accounting loss.

I'm torn on this one though, he's a great player to watch, but the availability thing is an issue. Him being Guinea's main man doesn't help either. Then again Matip not playing internationals hasn't exactly helped with his availability for us.

Best leave it to the club I guess.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #10552 on: June 17, 2021, 04:02:39 pm »
If a suitable offer comes in, I think he's off.  Such a frustrating situation because, on paper, he's the ideal Klopp midfielder.

Just cannot stay fit and when he has been available, he's not exactly lit up the league.  Just some solid performances, no standout, game-changing stuff.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10553 on: June 17, 2021, 05:07:24 pm »
He’s still just 26. There’s still time. He should look to Matip’s champions league winning season for inspiration if he still has ambition to fulfil that huge potential he has
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #10554 on: June 17, 2021, 06:46:08 pm »
If a suitable offer comes in, I think he's off.  Such a frustrating situation because, on paper, he's the ideal Klopp midfielder.

I would think so too. But it might be quite difficult to get Keita off our books. Obviously no club will match the fee we paid for him since his stock has sunk so low since then. But I wonder if Keita would be interested in a pay cut when, at the back of his mind, he must be thinking "If I'm injured and unable to play most of the time would I rather be on Liverpool's wage or the one offered by ...... Lazio/Lille/Bayer Leverkusen/Watford?"
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10555 on: June 17, 2021, 06:56:47 pm »

George Michael had faith & look what happened to him.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10556 on: June 17, 2021, 07:24:37 pm »
George Michael had faith & look what happened to him.

Successful music career?

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10557 on: June 17, 2021, 07:46:26 pm »
He’s still just 26. There’s still time. He should look to Matip’s champions league winning season for inspiration if he still has ambition to fulfil that huge potential he has

Inspiration isn't Naby's problem, it's the series of injuries that he isn't to blame for and can't do anything to stop. However frustrated people are with him, I'd bet it pales in comparison to how frustrated he is at every little setback.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10558 on: June 17, 2021, 08:04:43 pm »
Successful music career?

Crap midfielder though.

Online mainone

• Anny Roader
  • this is the end.....
« Reply #10559 on: June 17, 2021, 09:13:56 pm »