Author Topic: Roy Evans  (Read 36101 times)

Offline RedMike-86-

• Thrice surprised
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
Roy Evans
« on: May 26, 2008, 11:03:01 pm »
Roy Evans was one of the hand full of Liverpool legends that I have been fortunate to meet, and I have always loved the man. I've met Aldo who was amazing, Ray Clemence who was also amazing and Tommy Smith who let's face it has seen it all. Out of them all, I'd say Roy Evans struck me as one of the best men you could ever want to meet.

I still chuckle about the time that I met the great man at a charity function, and the only think I had for him to sign for me was a ten pound note. He signed it with the good grace you would have expected, but pissed up Mike here gave the tenner to the cab that dropped me at my house later that night!

Luckily, I realised as I had my key in the front door, and the cabbie was still turning around – by the skin if my teeth I got it back.

I was watching LFC TV today, in the absence of anything else, and there was a 60 minutes with Roy Evans on, and it brought it back again how much of a top man he is.

Honest, frank and decent with every single word. Had the honesty to admit that when he and Livermore left they were bitter for a few months, and that they wanted the results to turn bad, so Houllier didn’t do as well as they had – then he woke up and said to himself, hang on, this is the club you’ve loved your entire life. You have to get over this, or it will ruin your entire life!!!

At the end, he was asked to sum up Roy Evans in three words. He puffed his cheeks and said “lucky, lucky man” to be involved in such an amazing club for so long, or worse to that effect. I am not ashamed to say I was emotional.

Legend – a shame he left the way he did.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 11:29:32 pm by RedMike-86- »
In the land of the witless, the half-wit is king.

Offline Aldridge 8

• Schizophrenic.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Roy Evans
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 11:06:14 pm »
Roy just wasnt good enough as manager , but his teams were great to watch exciting , a great servent to liverpool football club and goes down as a legend with the ruben bennett , tom saunders and ronnie moran's of the liverpool world as great back room staff , without who the club would not have been the success it was and is .

Offline CRAZY HORSE EMLYN

• Lives for twats
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 11:07:32 pm »
Roy Evans was one of the hand full of Liverpool legends that I have been fortunate to meet, and I have always loved the man. I've met Aldo who was amazing, Ray Clemance who was also amazing and Tommy Smith who let's face it has seen it all. Out of them all, I'd say Roy Evans struck me as one of the best men you could ever want to meet.

I still chuckle about the time that I met the great man at a charity function, and the only think I had for him to sign for me was a ten pound note. He signed it with the good grace you would have expected, but pissed up Mike here gave the tenner to the cab that dropped me at my house later that night!

Luckily, I realised as I had my key in the front door, and the cabbie was still turning around – by the skin if my teeth I got it back.

I was watching LFC TV today, in the absence of anything else, and there was a 60 minutes with Roy Evans on, and it brought it back again how much of a top man he is.

Honest, frank and decent with every single word. Had the honesty to admit that when he and Livermore left they were bitter for a few months, and that they wanted the results to turn bad, so Houllier didn’t do as well as they had – then he woke up and said to himself, hang on, this is the club you’ve loved your entire life. You have to get over this, or it will ruin your entire life!!!

At the end, he was asked to sum up Roy Evans in three words. He puffed his cheeks and said “lucky, lucky man” to be involved in such an amazing club for so long, or worse to that effect. I am not ashamed to say I was emotional.

Legend – a shame he left the way he did.

Does Evans have any sort of role now?
He is the main link back to the bootroom, so he bloody well should have!
He wouldn't be standing for the kinda shite going on in the boardroom.
Could he not become some sort of guardian of the Liverpool Way?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 11:07:36 pm »
Yea it was terrible that day he was drove away and was in tears

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 11:16:26 pm »
Roy was a true Liverpool man. I agree we played some fantastic football under him, but defensively we often struggled. Roy's biggest weakness though was off the pitch where he was too close to the players and let them get away with too much that should have been clamped down on, modelling etc.

Moores and Parry should be ashamed of the way they treated him at the end. To try and make him feel important when everyone knew he was there only to help Houllier find his feet was shameful. I can still hear his tearful leaving interview now.

Offline RedMike-86-

• Thrice surprised
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 11:17:24 pm »
Yea it was terrible that day he was drove away and was in tears

I have always wondered if that was why the backlash against Houllier in his later years was so easily ignited?

It seemed that the slightest dip in form, despite our treble season, saw many jump on his back with a vitriol not emulated since. It's as if he was always slightly resented, even though it was not his fault for the way that Roy Evans was treated. My imagination I am sure.

Just like I imagined that Owen was never fully accepted as a legend because his rise marked the beginning of the fall of a certain Robert Bernard Fowler.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 11:17:37 pm »
Does Evans have any sort of role now?
He is the main link back to the bootroom, so he bloody well should have!
He wouldn't be standing for the kinda shite going on in the boardroom.
Could he not become some sort of guardian of the Liverpool Way?

He works with the Welsh national team now I think.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 11:20:02 pm »
This thread will almost certainly turn into an Evans Vs Houllier debate with the same old arguments on both sides being trotted out. Always happens when Roy Evans is involved in a thread!

Offline RedMike-86-

• Thrice surprised
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 11:25:42 pm »
This thread will almost certainly turn into an Evans Vs Houllier debate with the same old arguments on both sides being trotted out. Always happens when Roy Evans is involved in a thread!

I hope not, I had the upmost respect for both men.

This was just a misty-eyed look back at a man that gave so very much to this club.

Offline RedMike-86-

• Thrice surprised
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 11:30:31 pm »
Roy was a true Liverpool man. I agree we played some fantastic football under him, but defensively we often struggled. Roy's biggest weakness though was off the pitch where he was too close to the players and let them get away with too much that should have been clamped down on, modelling etc.

Moores and Parry should be ashamed of the way they treated him at the end. To try and make him feel important when everyone knew he was there only to help Houllier find his feet was shameful. I can still hear his tearful leaving interview now.

Liverpool 4 v Newcastle 3 ... beautiful game personified!

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 11:31:37 pm »
evans made us play some beautiful football, it was the players who let him down. roy was too loyal to gobshites that didn't care.

Offline RedMike-86-

• Thrice surprised
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 11:34:52 pm »
Anyone remember Ruddock on Soccer AM talking about passing the coin?  :no

"Spice boy attitude" within those that had so much ability (and those that had not so much) is a crime against natual born talent. (and lard arse, hatchet defending)

Offline Slave

• shit joker - shit vicki vale too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 11:43:47 pm »
I met someone in a pub who looked eerily similar to Roy Evans.

He was a knob though.
It is most odd.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 11:43:52 pm »
A really really nice man
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 11:49:34 pm »

Let's not let it. And let's not start talking about 'spice boys' or anything else like that. Evans is an honourable man who served the club for over 20 years in a dignified manner. The football his team's played was still the most entertaining aesthetically than any side since the last title winning side.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 11:58:35 pm »
evans made us play some beautiful football, it was the players who let him down. roy was too loyal to gobshites that didn't care.
on the fucking button mate, well in , the football was great to watch
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 12:00:37 am »
Anyone remember Ruddock on Soccer AM talking about passing the coin?  :no

"Spice boy attitude" within those that had so much ability (and those that had not so much) is a crime against natual born talent. (and lard arse, hatchet defending)

Yea, wasnt it the last game of the season V Aston Villa, and we (and mayby them to) couldnt change our league position.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 12:01:02 am »
Roy just wasnt good enough as manager.

Roy brought liverpool closer to the title than Rafa (or Houllier) did.

4 seasons in charge - competing against (in Mancs, Blackburn and Newcastle) three of the biggest spending sides in the world, AND the genius of wenger, he got 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 4th - in other words - a better record than Rafa in his first 4 years.

Roy is always regarded as a "poor manager", "bit of a failure" etc.

He wasn't. No more than anyone we've had since deserves to be regarded like that.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Poolbyheart

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 12:01:36 am »
Under Evans he had us playing the best football we have ever played in the Premiership, was beautiful to watch, its just a shame we had Scales and Babb.

Offline Redeye

• Kopite
  • 31/1/59 Sunderland 3-1 Wheeler Bimpson Morris
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 12:08:19 am »
Roy Evans - failed to take advantage of the the most talented group of youngsters we ever had at the club.

Discuss?
"Everybody at Anfield hopes that in the not too distant future Bill Shankly will lead the club back to the First Division - and also to a Cup Final victory."

Offline RedMike-86-

• Thrice surprised
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 12:09:45 am »
Under Evans he had us playing the best football we have ever played in the Premier League, was beautiful to watch, its just a shame we had Scales and Babb.

I'm not having that, Babb put his balls on the line for this club! ;)

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 12:13:36 am »
Roy Evans - failed to take advantage of the the most talented group of youngsters we ever had at the club.

Discuss?

Perhaps - unfortunate though that the talented youngsters that fell in our lap were all attacking players by and large - wheras the talented youngsters that fell in Fergusons lap were a right back, a left back, a right winger, a left winger, a central midfielder...

Was the only difference that Ferguson was lucky enough to get players where he needed them - and we got players where we didn't (eg Owen coming through when we already had Fowler, Gerrard coming through where we already had Redknapp) - we couldn;t get as much out of those young players at the time?
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Poolbyheart

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 12:16:50 am »
I didnt see Roy Evans waste Robbie Fowler.

Our youngsters under Evans every top team in Europe wanted them.  Evans' downfall was his defense, but how he got our passing was brilliant to watch, we could dance aroun teams make them look stupid.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 12:19:34 am »
I'm not having that, Babb put his balls on the line for this club! ;)
:lmao

the only time I ever really liked him , fuckin great when he did that
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Redeye

• Kopite
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 12:21:34 am »
Perhaps - unfortunate though that the talented youngsters that fell in our lap were all attacking players by and large - wheras the talented youngsters that fell in Fergusons lap were a right back, a left back, a right winger, a left winger, a central midfielder...

Roy had today's England goalkeeper. He had Rob Jones at right back.
"Everybody at Anfield hopes that in the not too distant future Bill Shankly will lead the club back to the First Division - and also to a Cup Final victory."

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008, 12:31:05 am »
lets not forget we used to still be in the title race come March in more then one season, and the shite team he inherited from Souness didnt help the situation. Things could have got a lot worse after Souness if it wasnt for Roy.

As for the discipline within the team, that was as much the players fault as his. The Sky/Premiership juggernaught had just started moving, money and wages were rising and i think an old skool gent like Roy was from a different (prehaps better) era of football.

A true LFC legend.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008, 12:32:41 am »
Roy had today's England goalkeeper. He had Rob Jones at right back.

He had a games console addicted terrible professional rookie in goal, and Rob Jones in the treatment room. He can;t be blamed for that.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008, 12:34:54 am »
I have always wondered if that was why the backlash against Houllier in his later years was so easily ignited?

It seemed that the slightest dip in form, despite our treble season, saw many jump on his back with a vitriol not emulated since. It's as if he was always slightly resented, even though it was not his fault for the way that Roy Evans was treated. My imagination I am sure.

Just like I imagined that Owen was never fully accepted as a legend because his rise marked the beginning of the fall of a certain Robert Bernard Fowler.

No it wasn't your imagination between, Houllier, Parry & Moores they made his job untenable.

Gerard Houllier & Phil Thompson marked the end of Robbie Fowler not Michael Owen.

Played some great stuff under Roy, his biggest problem was his monumental blunders on the biggest stage. The FA Cup final in 96 and his decision to drop Michael Thomas in 97 being the two most costly. Also keeping faith with the c*nt that is David James was a huge error, as was the treatment of what should have been his replacement Brad Friedel for one mistake against Utd at OT. (David James repaid this faith by belittling him in his autobiography. c*nt.)

Maybe if the board had backed him with the Sheringham transfer we might have made a move for the title but alas it wasn't to be. It was the right time to get rid of him but the way they did it was a disgrace. Moores, Parry & Houllier hang your heads in shame.

I'll nail my colours to the mast my dad had an insider that knew what was going on in the club at the time. (and Everton to be fair) I resented Houllier taking over I still do nothing will make me change my mind, while I was disgusted at the way he'd maneuvered himself into a position of power I was prepared to give him some leeway, when his first decision was to bring back that backstabbing shit stirring odious cretin Phil Thompson* he lost any goodwill from me. The Houllier years were the hardest for me as I love my club but dislike the manager intensely.

*His scheming against Souness when he had the Captaincy taken from him always sickened me. The club comes first. Not for fucking Thompson it doesn't.

I don't care if it's bitter or resentful Roy was class all the way despite his mistakes and always gave 100%.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline Britvic Orange

• Bitter lemon
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 12:39:02 am »
Roy Evans team was the best team we have had since we last won the league.

Offline Redeye

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 12:43:05 am »
"Backstabbing, shit ....?"

Eh, lad you're talking about a Liverpool legend here.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2008, 12:53:15 am »
Roy brought liverpool closer to the title than Rafa (or Houllier) did.

4 seasons in charge - competing against (in Mancs, Blackburn and Newcastle) three of the biggest spending sides in the world, AND the genius of wenger, he got 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 4th - in other words - a better record than Rafa in his first 4 years.

Roy is always regarded as a "poor manager", "bit of a failure" etc.

He wasn't. No more than anyone we've had since deserves to be regarded like that.

Not True.
Roy Evans first 4 full seasons:
94/95 - 74pts
95/96 - 71pts
96/97 - 68pts
97/98 - 65pts
Rafa:
04/05 - 58pts
05/06 - 82pts
06/07 - 68pts
07/08 - 76pts
As you can see he had less points in one season his first, matched him in one season his third, and has beaten him twice.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2008, 12:57:37 am »
"Backstabbing, shit ....?"

Eh, lad you're talking about a Liverpool legend here.
And... It's true he backstabbed Souness when Souness became captain, he backstabbed him again when he was manager, he backstabbed Robbie by blowing him up to Houllier. Then Backstabbed him again when him and Houllier set Robbie up with the photographer at Melwood.
Legend absolutely. Backstabbing twat with form even more so.

Offline Redeye

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2008, 12:59:48 am »
And... It's true he backstabbed Souness when Souness became captain, he backstabbed him again when he was manager, he backstabbed Robbie by blowing him up to Houllier. Then Backstabbed him again when him and Houllier set Robbie up with the photographer at Melwood.
Legend absolutely. Backstabbing twat with form even more so.
That's a matter of interpretation and of opinion.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2008, 01:11:41 am »

Yes and it's mine there's also one other incident I've deliberately left out which I know for a fact happened. As for it being opinion How would Houllier have found out about the incident if Thompson didn't tell him. By anyones definition that's backstabbing.

When he backstabbed Souness as manager he's yet to deny it. Not even in his book. And he won't deny it because he'll be calling Brian Kidd and Alex Ferguson liars.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 01:17:06 am by Trousers »

Offline kingkenny79

• Kopite
  • King Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish, King Of Liverpool
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2008, 01:14:17 am »
Fantastic, Fantastic, Fantastic
A Pround Citizen of Kingdom Of Liverpool, Hail King Kenny, Long Live The King.

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2008, 01:19:56 am »
The one sad thing about Roy Evans was that he didn't win a trophy with the club. I liked him a lot, but even though we had some poor players we probably had a good enough team to win the title at least once. It's a little before my time, but I get the impression that had we just signed a quality centre back we would have been very close to winning a league. It's a shame someone like Hyypia couldn't have been around a few years earlier.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2008, 01:25:11 am »
The one sad thing about Roy Evans was that he didn't win a trophy with the club. I liked him a lot, but even though we had some poor players we probably had a good enough team to win the title at least once. It's a little before my time, but I get the impression that had we just signed a quality centre back we would have been very close to winning a league. It's a shame someone like Hyypia couldn't have been around a few years earlier.
Coca Cola Cup against Bolton 94

Offline YorkieT

• Main Stander
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2008, 01:25:59 am »

Fowlers autobiog was very non complimentary to Thommo based on when he was coming through the reserves as a 16-17 year old, and later on when Houllier brought him back.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2008, 01:26:10 am »
Roy just wasnt good enough as manager , but his teams were great to watch exciting , a great servent to liverpool football club and goes down as a legend with the ruben bennett , tom saunders and ronnie moran's of the liverpool world as great back room staff , without who the club would not have been the success it was and is .

I just think he was unlucky, the man had to rebuild from scratch. He was left a worse team than Houllier or Rafa. I genuinely feel had he took over directly after Dalglish then we'd have at least a couple of more league titles but we'll never know and I wasn't exactly complaining when Souness took over.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2008, 01:37:00 am »
Coca Cola Cup against Bolton 94
Ah, okay. As I said, it's a little before my time and I was always under the impression that he didn't win a trophy with us. It's good to know that he did.