Author Topic: The Horse Racing thread  (Read 324056 times)

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Horse Racing thread
« Reply #2200 on: November 19, 2018, 09:12:15 pm »
How good was it to see Coneygree run a belter btw? He's the one and only time I've had the Gold Cup winner to any reasonable stake, so I'm incredibly fond of it. Can't wait to see Thistlecrack back too, the grin on my grid will be as wide as the Forth Bridge if he can put Might Bite, Native River et al to bed.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 09:15:20 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #2201 on: November 19, 2018, 10:46:03 pm »
I was under the impression that I’d need to be consistently laying off for profiton betfair for that

It is assumed you are, even if you are not. winners not welcome and your betting patterns are monitored routinely, particularly if you bet ante-post.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline ohweloveyerbaldyhead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2202 on: November 19, 2018, 11:59:21 pm »
Even if Altior runs there?

For me yeah, I don't think Altior will be allowed to hit his usual flat spot with the way Sceau Royal jumps, he's so slick through the air I think he'd put the race to bed if Altior came off the bridle too early.
Twitter: @loveyerbaldyhead

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2203 on: November 21, 2018, 05:19:52 pm »
How good was it to see Coneygree run a belter btw? He's the one and only time I've had the Gold Cup winner to any reasonable stake, so I'm incredibly fond of it. Can't wait to see Thistlecrack back too, the grin on my grid will be as wide as the Forth Bridge if he can put Might Bite, Native River et al to bed.

Seeing Coneygree bound along in front at the Punchestown festival down by the rails is one of the best thrills I've had racing. Mighty horse, pity the injuries took a lot out of him. The 3 mile division could be a cracker in fairness, if they're all fit and healthy.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #2204 on: November 21, 2018, 07:11:23 pm »
Thought Deise Aba looked good today at Chepstow. Hard to know what he beat but he absolutely cruised round before looking a little bit green at the end before going away again.

Presume he’ll be aimed at the Ballymore if he’s good enough.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2205 on: November 23, 2018, 01:38:27 am »
Didtheyleaveuoutto my early season pick for the Supreme is out tomorrow. His 100/30 has been taken already and he's in to 5/2, up against a fairly good early season yardstick though so i'll see what he's made of  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2206 on: November 23, 2018, 08:33:05 am »
Didtheyleaveuoutto my early season pick for the Supreme is out tomorrow. His 100/30 has been taken already and he's in to 5/2, up against a fairly good early season yardstick though so i'll see what he's made of  ;D
Backed him today as well, could be up against it with the fav but the price seems reasonable.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2207 on: November 23, 2018, 02:05:17 pm »
Backed him today as well, could be up against it with the fav but the price seems reasonable.

We'll both know who to blame so if he doesn't win  ;D

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2208 on: November 23, 2018, 02:11:35 pm »
Just about got there  ;D Very happy with that.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2209 on: November 23, 2018, 02:17:52 pm »
Travelled well and a decent turn of foot to get in front, second horse probably not bad either.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2210 on: November 23, 2018, 02:43:46 pm »
Travelled well and a decent turn of foot to get in front, second horse probably not bad either.

Ground was probably as soft as you'd want it for him as well. Just a pity Geraghty is one of my least favourite jockeys. Big step up in class for him today, the second horse had won a listed hurdle at Cheltenham by 3 and a half lengths previously and the horse he beat went out and won a grade 2 there by over a length last weekend.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2211 on: November 24, 2018, 08:00:06 pm »
Still fancy Presenting Percy for the gold cup this year, nothing in the Betfair Chase to dissuade me. Might Bite was particularly disappointing

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2212 on: November 25, 2018, 10:33:56 pm »
Danny Kirwan runs at Kempton tomorrow, more of a long term prospect for fences but supposed to be the best horse Nicholls has had for a while.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #2213 on: November 25, 2018, 10:59:29 pm »
Still fancy Presenting Percy for the gold cup this year, nothing in the Betfair Chase to dissuade me. Might Bite was particularly disappointing

Great run from BDM . Might Bite looked unfit and was on edge in the parade ring.Very interesting bit for me was watching Henderson measuring the last couple of fences and checking where River Wylde had fallen at the last.

Cracking days racing all round at Haydock yesterday, despite smallish field sizes
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2214 on: November 25, 2018, 11:56:10 pm »
Great run from BDM . Might Bite looked unfit and was on edge in the parade ring.Very interesting bit for me was watching Henderson measuring the last couple of fences and checking where River Wylde had fallen at the last.

Cracking days racing all round at Haydock yesterday, despite smallish field sizes

You should see Kempton tomorrow  ;D The going must be on the firm side of good.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2215 on: November 26, 2018, 09:03:32 am »
You should see Kempton tomorrow  ;D The going must be on the firm side of good.
You’re not wrong, hadn’t realised but not one race with more than 9 runners. First race down to a match so not going to learn anything about Danny Kirwan.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2216 on: December 1, 2018, 02:17:17 pm »
No way on God's green earth is Samcro ever beating Buveur D'Air over the shorter obstacles. If I was Elliott I'd get him up in trip or over fences ASAP because that's as comprehensive a thrashing as you'll see in a race between 2 supposed world beaters. Buveur D'Air was hard on the steel jumping the last.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2217 on: December 1, 2018, 02:17:54 pm »
Buveur Dair !! Emphatic.

@11/8 :lmao

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2218 on: December 3, 2018, 01:35:01 pm »
I wouldn’t give up on either Samcro or Summerville Boy, Cheltenham will be a more strongly run race on better ground and that may bring them both closer to Buveur D’Air.

Thought Delta Work won nicely yesterday, didn’t win far but jumped well and probably won cosily enough, 2nd horse probably decent too. Rather take 10/1 on him than 4/1 about Santini.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2219 on: December 3, 2018, 02:14:30 pm »
I wouldn’t give up on either Samcro or Summerville Boy, Cheltenham will be a more strongly run race on better ground and that may bring them both closer to Buveur D’Air.

Thought Delta Work won nicely yesterday, didn’t win far but jumped well and probably won cosily enough, 2nd horse probably decent too. Rather take 10/1 on him than 4/1 about Santini.

Samcro is not a good ground horse. The softer the better for him. Not convinced he’s got the turn of pace to win a Champion Hurdle.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2220 on: December 3, 2018, 04:32:45 pm »
Samcro is not a good ground horse. The softer the better for him. Not convinced he’s got the turn of pace to win a Champion Hurdle.
I think they both prefer it soft, so better ground may lessen Buveur D’Air advantage, it may not but I think the stronger pace could play into the hands of the stronger stayers. Ultimately Buveur D’Air May prove too classy but he didn’t win that well this year so I’m a bit reluctant to rule either of Saturdays main rivals out yet.

Kalashnikov good again today, but I still think he takes a touch too long in the air and that could cost him in an Arkle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2221 on: December 4, 2018, 12:54:04 pm »
Buveur D’Air does that to every 2 mile hurdler in the game every day of the week. He’s so underrated it’s unbelievable. Nothing touches him in the champion if he stays sound. Samcro is a chaser, strange decision to keep him over hurdles for me. Summerville Boy just wants it bottomless, unless we have another strange winter he’s no chance at Cheltenham. I think this defeat will mean he could be overpriced next time he does encounter heavy ground though which is a positive.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2222 on: December 4, 2018, 06:13:14 pm »
Agree that it's stupid to continue on the Champion Hurdle route with Samcro. If they're going to continue over hurdles they should step him up for the World Hurdle as it's a very weak division.

Interestingly they were all in agreement on Irish TV over the weekend that Apple's Jade should swerve the Mares and go to the Champion Hurdle. They all reckoned she was our best chance of beating Buveur D'air. I tend to agree, although it would still be a long shot as Buveur is an exceptional horse.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2223 on: December 4, 2018, 09:36:18 pm »
She should go champion but she wouldn’t beat Buveur. He’s different gravy. Agree with comments re delta work also, proper RSA/Gold Cup horse that

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2224 on: December 4, 2018, 11:09:49 pm »
I still think usual good/good to soft ground makes Buveur D’Air more vulnerable, problem is the likes of Laurina and Apples Jade probably swerve this and from what we’ve seen so far of the rest they’ve got to improve. Melon possibly the forgotten horse in it.

Shame it sounds like Malone Road may miss Cheltenham, thought he’d piss up in the bumper

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2225 on: December 4, 2018, 11:16:16 pm »
I still think usual good/good to soft ground makes Buveur D’Air more vulnerable, problem is the likes of Laurina and Apples Jade probably swerve this and from what we’ve seen so far of the rest they’ve got to improve. Melon possibly the forgotten horse in it.

Shame it sounds like Malone Road may miss Cheltenham, thought he’d piss up in the bumper

Don't worry they've got another one named Envoi Allen looks just as good  ;D

Midnight Run for Joseph is one to keep onside for the bumper if they don't go over hurdles with him, he's been snapped up by Gigginstown though so not sure how likely he'll be to stay in bumpers.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2226 on: December 6, 2018, 01:40:46 pm »
Sceau Royal V Altior confirmed for the Tingle Creek. Can’t wait to see my theory tested. Un De Sceaux & Saint Calvados likely to cut each other’s throats here and give the other two a real good gallop so should be no excuses and whoever wins this pisses up in the champion in march

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2227 on: December 6, 2018, 05:00:21 pm »
Absolutely cracking race in prospect, at the prices Sceau Royal worth a go given it’s Altior first race of the season.

Adjali won nicely today, but missed the price was 33/1 for the Triumph a couple of days a go now 10/1

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2228 on: December 8, 2018, 06:54:06 am »
Looking forward to seeing Lalor again today, definitely my idea of the Arkle winner after his first run.

Given the ground at Sandown I’ve changed my mind and gonna back Un De Sceaux rather than Sceau Royal who I think prefers a better surface. 2m on really soft ground is perfect conditions for UDS. The main worry as mentioned above would be him and St Calvados taking each other on, that and the fact Altior is a monster! Just hoping he wants further these days, the King George has been mentioned by Henderson. Whatever happens it looks the race of the season so far.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2229 on: December 8, 2018, 03:13:54 pm »
Altior as breathtaking as ever, what a champ

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2230 on: December 9, 2018, 12:27:01 am »
Yep Altior still a monster and UDS ran a cracker too. I don’t think I’d be giving up completely on Sceau Royal after that he seems to enjoy Cheltenham and better ground will help

Not giving up on Lalor either, again different course, different ground and likely see a different horse. Glad they’ve pushed him out in price though.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2231 on: December 11, 2018, 11:14:21 am »
Strange Tingle Creek that, was a great race but I don’t think anything particularly ran to form, the Henry VIII was run in a much quicker time which really surprised me. I think the ground was Lalor’s issue, certainly one to put a line through. One to take from the whole weekend for me though was I can’t explain from the first race at Sandown for Hendo. Looks very very useful that beast.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2232 on: December 11, 2018, 12:49:41 pm »
Strange Tingle Creek that, was a great race but I don’t think anything particularly ran to form, the Henry VIII was run in a much quicker time which really surprised me. I think the ground was Lalor’s issue, certainly one to put a line through. One to take from the whole weekend for me though was I can’t explain from the first race at Sandown for Hendo. Looks very very useful that beast.

Think the ground had probably got significantly worse by the time of the Tingle Creek, it absolutely smashed it down just before the off, plus they were carrying a little more weight, may explain the time difference.
When the grounds like that at Sandown it’s fairly easy to forgive what may seem a disappointing run.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2233 on: December 14, 2018, 03:25:44 pm »
Mick Fitzgerald agrees with me that Ballycasey is the one to take out of that Cross Country chase today. He apparently picked Tiger Roll out of the race last year so hopefully lightning strikes twice  :)

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2234 on: December 14, 2018, 05:50:45 pm »
Mick Fitzgerald agrees with me that Ballycasey is the one to take out of that Cross Country chase today. He apparently picked Tiger Roll out of the race last year so hopefully lightning strikes twice  :)
Didn’t see the race today but thought Ballycasey was an interesting runner, very decent horse if not quite top drawer. Not sure Mick Fitz is much of a ringing endorsement though!

Hoping for a better show from Summerville Boy tomorrow, though it’s a shame Laurina won’t be there.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2235 on: December 14, 2018, 05:54:35 pm »
I wonder if Willie Mullins will run Laurina again anytime this century.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2236 on: December 14, 2018, 05:58:43 pm »
I wonder if Willie Mullins will run Laurina again anytime this century.
Be a shame if she’s the new Quevaga running twice a year. I’ll be very surprised if she doesn’t end up in the Mares rather than the Champion Hurdle

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2237 on: December 14, 2018, 06:03:02 pm »
Be a shame if she’s the new Quevaga running twice a year. I’ll be very surprised if she doesn’t end up in the Mares rather than the Champion Hurdle

Connections seem keen to go for the Champion and hopefully they insist. Last thing anybody wants to see is the best horses avoiding each other like boxers.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2238 on: December 14, 2018, 06:08:44 pm »
Connections seem keen to go for the Champion and hopefully they insist. Last thing anybody wants to see is the best horses avoiding each other like boxers.
As you say hopefully they get their way, but Mullins seems to get his way more often than not with most owners it seems

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2239 on: December 14, 2018, 09:15:05 pm »
I'm fancying a Bryony Frost double tomorrow lads. Frodon & Old Guard