Author Topic: Jordan Henderson  (Read 426687 times)

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
Re: Jordan Henderson
« Reply #440 on: March 10, 2012, 10:29:17 pm »
I still don't really understand where his best position is. It's definitely not on the right, thats for sure. Is he better as an attacking midfielder, a central midfielder, or on the right in the middle of a 433?

My guess is as a central midfielder, alongside someone like Spearing/Lucas. Maybe I'm only saying this because Adam has been utter shit, but I like him back there because he just keeps things ticking, and he never goes for the hollywood long balls.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #441 on: March 10, 2012, 10:31:47 pm »
Its not just that Lucas was once young and rounded upon by the wolves and that he was accused of exactly the same things that makes the situations similar.

Henderson now and Lucas then play the game in exactly the same way. Its not flashy, its not headline grabbing and its very hard to measure.

People like stats. They like to point towards assists or goals because they're easy and dont require actually watching the football or the player. The way that Henderson and Lucas of 09 play the game is hard to quantify. And so people think it adds up to fuck all.

Its no surprise to see the posters I have most respect for coming out and supporting the lad, saying give him time, give him games in his proper position and that they see the potential. Henderson is a footballer's footballer.

There'll be a few red faces when he realises his potential. But even then people will underrate what it is a player like him does. What was 'Yorkys law' again? Some people cant see a pass unless its 30 yards or leads to a goal. As true now as it ever was.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #442 on: March 10, 2012, 10:32:35 pm »
...it could be argued that Henderson is one of our players most comfortable playing one-touch football & we would be better suited to dropping the players that hold up that style of play to play the longer ball rather then Henderson.

He is a tidy footballer, maybe not £16 million pounds worth of tidy.

Exactly this. I don't think anyone is saying he would completely revolutionise our play if we played him consistently in midfield but he has more to offer than Adam and Spearing in my opinion in his ability.

The reserves are no good as has been demonstrated from way back when. From when Warnock, Kennedy and Vignal were impressing right up to Lucas, Babel and El Zhar.

The worse thing for me with Henderson is he is clearly struggling on the right and if we persist with this, we have a ral chance of destroying the lad completely. The management need to get their act together and fast on this one. I'd rather him see him loaned out in his proper position than watch him erode and decline on the right for two seasons before selling at a loss for about £5 million.

Offline Devastatin' Dave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: March 10, 2012, 10:34:23 pm »
My guess is as a central midfielder, alongside someone like Spearing/Lucas. Maybe I'm only saying this because Adam has been utter shit, but I like him back there because he just keeps things ticking, and he never goes for the hollywood long balls.

I do like that he is someone who manages to make himself available, I just wish he would do it a bit higher up the pitch (where admittedly that is harder) and become more of an attacking threat.

Offline ChristophLFC

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #444 on: March 10, 2012, 10:36:05 pm »
cant remember who said this great quote

'we should get downing to neck a few pints before kick-off might give him some confidence and believe, he would prob play better'

same could be said for henderson

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #445 on: March 10, 2012, 10:37:53 pm »
Its not just that Lucas was once young and rounded upon by the wolves and that he was accused of exactly the same things that makes the situations similar.

Henderson now and Lucas then play the game in exactly the same way. Its not flashy, its not headline grabbing and its very hard to measure.

People like stats. They like to point towards assists or goals because they're easy and dont require actually watching the football or the player. The way that Henderson and Lucas of 09 play the game is hard to quantify. And so people think it adds up to fuck all.

Its no surprise to see the posters I have most respect for coming out and supporting the lad, saying give him time, give him games in his proper position and that they see the potential. Henderson is a footballer's footballer.

There'll be a few red faces when he realises his potential. But even then people will underrate what it is a player like him does. What was 'Yorkys law' again? Some people cant see a pass unless its 30 yards or leads to a goal. As true now as it ever was.

Then why are Modric Alonso etc so highly rated?

Its not that people don't appreciate his role, its that people don't see anything special in him as a player.

Also do you see Henderson turning into a good defensive midfielder?

Offline AJ4Seven

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: March 10, 2012, 10:38:10 pm »
Exactly this. I don't think anyone is saying he would completely revolutionise our play if we played him consistently in midfield but he has more to offer than Adam and Spearing in my opinion in his ability.

The reserves are no good as has been demonstrated from way back when. From when Warnock, Kennedy and Vignal were impressing right up to Lucas, Babel and El Zhar.

The worse thing for me with Henderson is he is clearly struggling on the right and if we persist with this, we have a ral chance of destroying the lad completely. The management need to get their act together and fast on this one. I'd rather him see him loaned out in his proper position than watch him erode and decline on the right for two seasons before selling at a loss for about £5 million.

When Johnson is playing I don't mind him playing on the right, as he is comfortable in CM & that allows Adam/Gerrard to push further forward, the problem is without Johnson we lose any width on the right (which would be OK if Downing was in form, but our best player on the left is Bellamy who cuts in a lot which would leave us with no width anywhere).

Offline RAOTW

• Main Stander
« Reply #447 on: March 10, 2012, 10:39:50 pm »
Utter Shite again no surprises a very very average young british player. hundreds more like him Sunderland must be laughing there Co*ks off that they got nearly 20 million for him! Bottler of the highest order! Thick Geordie hope he stays up there tnite

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #448 on: March 10, 2012, 10:39:51 pm »
Also do you see Henderson turning into a good defensive midfielder?

Probably not.

A good CM though.

Offline The Red Dub

• Main Stander
  • whats the story balamory
« Reply #449 on: March 10, 2012, 10:39:56 pm »
Charlie Adam: Cost 6m. Has 6 direct assists and 5 indirect assists. Has scored 2 goals. RAWK Verdict: An embarassement
Jordan Henderson: Cost 16m. Has 1 assist and 0 indirect ones. Has scored 1 goal. RAWK Verdict: The next Xavi. Or Lucas. Or Gerrard. Or Lampard.
hear hear mate.adam is the least of our problems.henderson was so anonymous out there today i thought he had left the stadium and went visiting his mammy on his return home.
"Liverpool lost that sense of purpose when Steve ­Heighway was sacked, and the Anfield academy was restocked with over-rated, underwhelming, imported talent."

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: March 10, 2012, 10:41:57 pm »
Henderson has immense potential.

Matter of fact, he's already very good when played in the correct position.

He's a central midfielder, with a true box-to-box engine.  In a few years will be our captain, if he's brought on correctly.

Offline Devastatin' Dave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: March 10, 2012, 10:44:45 pm »

He's a central midfielder, with a true box-to-box engine.  In a few years will be our captain, if he's brought on correctly.

Would you be unhappy if he turned out to be as good as Jermaine Jenas or Scott Parker for example, Young Players of the Year in 2003 and 2004 respectively?

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #452 on: March 10, 2012, 10:46:57 pm »
</snip>

I still don't think he does his best work anywhere near the flanks. Look at today, he came inside a little towards the end of the game, clipped a pass into Gerrard who had his shot blocked. I think Johnson is an absolute class player so probably takes some of the focus off Henderson needing to 'create' to get noticed.

I doubt Adam would cope as well as Henderson has being asked to play there so the comparison is not really applicable. Adam is playing central and has often required discipline which he just hasn't showed. Henderson, arguably playing where he doesn't want to, eager to get involved and in the periphery of games has at least kept his discipline in shape.

Offline RAOTW

• Main Stander
« Reply #453 on: March 10, 2012, 10:47:20 pm »

[quote author=cowtownred link=topic=287343.msg10009203#msg10009203 date=1331419317 Have you been smoking Crack Cocaine this evening?

[/quote]Have you been smoking Crack Cocaine this evening?

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: March 10, 2012, 10:47:39 pm »
Would you be unhappy if he turned out to be as good as Jermaine Jenas or Scott Parker for example, Young Players of the Year in 2003 and 2004 respectively?

Different type of player altogether.

Would you be unhappy if he turned into a Steven Gerrard of 2008?

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: March 10, 2012, 10:48:17 pm »
[quote author=cowtownred link=topic=287343.msg10009203#msg10009203 date=1331419317 Have you been smoking Crack Cocaine this evening?

Have you been smoking Crack Cocaine this evening?

No.

Did you smell some?

Offline RAOTW

• Main Stander
« Reply #456 on: March 10, 2012, 10:48:38 pm »

YOU ARE CRAZY

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #457 on: March 10, 2012, 10:49:54 pm »

No doubt this lad has potential, he has no confidence and isn't having a good season, he's been poor.
How long do we have to wait to see this, theres more potential in the reserves with sterling tham there is with Henderson at the moment.
Trying to bring him through in a struggling team isn't going to work.
YNWA

Offline RAOTW

• Main Stander
« Reply #458 on: March 10, 2012, 10:49:59 pm »
YOU ARE CRAZY
  I think Barca will come in for him in the Summer as a long term replacement for Iniesta! They have to. . . .

Offline The Red Dub

• Main Stander
  • whats the story balamory
« Reply #459 on: March 10, 2012, 10:51:14 pm »

a captain has to have a pair of bollocks and not be afraid of the ball like this joker.
"Liverpool lost that sense of purpose when Steve ­Heighway was sacked, and the Anfield academy was restocked with over-rated, underwhelming, imported talent."

Offline anfieldanfield

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: March 10, 2012, 10:51:18 pm »
He has scored 1 goal all season. And he is an attacking midfielder.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #461 on: March 10, 2012, 10:51:48 pm »
He should be in the middle instead of Adam moves the ball quicker, and Suarez on the right and Stevie/ Jonjo behind Andy, I am a big fan of that lad Charlie but he needs to be benched for his own good.

One person who played well today was Jay.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Devastatin' Dave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: March 10, 2012, 10:51:59 pm »

What I'm alluding to is that both players are very good Premiership players (injuries permitting), but a lot of people would be unhappy if that was the height he reached. I guessing I'm making a point about the level of expectation and the likelihood of him actually meeting that (ludicrously high expectation).

As a result I feel he will find it difficult to 'succeed' given those expectations.

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: March 10, 2012, 10:52:18 pm »
  I think Barca will come in for him in the Summer as a long term replacement for Iniesta! They have to. . . .

Ah. I see what you did.

CRAZY. Iniesta.....

You are Manuel aren't you?

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: March 10, 2012, 10:53:06 pm »
a captain has to have a pair of bollocks and not be afraid of the ball like this joker.

captain of the under 21's in Pearce's team, psycho likes him.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

royhendo

« Reply #465 on: March 10, 2012, 10:55:54 pm »
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:57:28 pm by royhendo »

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: March 10, 2012, 10:57:09 pm »

You're fucking sad.

To refer to any player as a joker.

No further comment to you.

No doubt you thought Lucas had no bollocks either, you fucking eunuch.

Offline wardides

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A FUCKING BEACH BALL
« Reply #467 on: March 10, 2012, 10:58:30 pm »
He runs that England 21 team playing central midfield. Holds position incredibly well, love the way he is constantly looking for that quick pass. Will learn in time when not to try and force a ball, but I have no idea he is getting slated when he is being played incredibly out of position. If we are going to play 2 in midfield then it should be him and Lucas. Without doubt.
Bet 1, Lyon v B Munich...No Hat Trick @ 1.03.
Little does he know, he's left the Beatles and joined fucking Razorlight.

Offline AJ4Seven

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: March 10, 2012, 10:59:44 pm »
I still don't think he does his best work anywhere near the flanks. Look at today, he came inside a little towards the end of the game, clipped a pass into Gerrard who had his shot blocked. I think Johnson is an absolute class player so probably takes some of the focus off Henderson needing to 'create' to get noticed.

I doubt Adam would cope as well as Henderson has being asked to play there so the comparison is not really applicable. Adam is playing central and has often required discipline which he just hasn't showed. Henderson, arguably playing where he doesn't want to, eager to get involved and in the periphery of games has at least kept his discipline in shape.

I think you misunderstood me about Adam, I was trying to say that Henderson drifting into the middle helps out Adam/Gerrard(who would be in CM) to push forward to support the attack as he (Henderson) is covering them. This works best if the FB is good going forward & providing width( & the opposite side winger stays out wide during this), eventually I think Henderson will end up in the centre more, but I don't think its the worst thing in the world for him to be out on the right.

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: March 10, 2012, 11:01:20 pm »
He has scored 1 goal all season. And he is an attacking midfielder.

He's been a right winger most of the season...

So, he's second top scorer of our wingers, with 3 times as many assists as all our other 'wingers' combined.

But except, he shouldn't be a winger, should he?  And your next point is...?

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: March 10, 2012, 11:01:24 pm »
He runs that England 21 team playing central midfield. Holds position incredibly well, love the way he is constantly looking for that quick pass. Will learn in time when not to try and force a ball, but I have no idea he is getting slated when he is being played incredibly out of position. If we are going to play 2 in midfield then it should be him and Lucas. Without doubt.

No he doesn't.

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: March 10, 2012, 11:02:06 pm »

That is the correct answer.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #472 on: March 10, 2012, 11:03:13 pm »
I think you misunderstood me about Adam, I was trying to say that Henderson drifting into the middle helps out Adam/Gerrard(who would be in CM) to push forward to support the attack as he (Henderson) is covering them. This works best if the FB is good going forward & providing width( & the opposite side winger stays out wide during this), eventually I think Henderson will end up in the centre more, but I don't think its the worst thing in the world for him to be out on the right.

Yeah the Adam thing wasn't particularly in response to your post just to the stats about Adams goals/assists. I don't think its fair, although he only has one goal less than Adam and being on the right he would be experiencing the problems as all our players are regarding crossing i.e. no presence in the box. In the centre it could be a different story...

Offline wardides

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A FUCKING BEACH BALL
« Reply #473 on: March 10, 2012, 11:04:02 pm »
Bet 1, Lyon v B Munich...No Hat Trick @ 1.03.
Little does he know, he's left the Beatles and joined fucking Razorlight.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: March 10, 2012, 11:08:12 pm »
Oh right, cheers.

I watch the same game as you, he runs it and his passing is crisp.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #475 on: March 10, 2012, 11:08:13 pm »

Are you Eamon Dunphy?

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: March 10, 2012, 11:10:41 pm »
Are you Eamon Dunphy?

used to watch him play for Millwall alongside Keith Weller, very slow, couldn't tackle bit of a luxury player. ;) :D

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: March 10, 2012, 11:11:10 pm »
Are you Eamon Dunphy?

Naw, hes Katie Price.

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: March 10, 2012, 11:11:25 pm »
used to watch him play for Millwall alongside Keith Weller, very slow, couldn't tackle bit of a luxury player. ;) :D
Yeah, a joker like The Red Dub..

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: March 10, 2012, 11:12:11 pm »
Naw, hes Katie Price.
Only Katie Price has half a brain cell more..  ;)