Author Topic: Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency  (Read 199237 times)

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stop Fucking Moaning!!!!
Re: The bubble that is Bitcoin
« Reply #40 on: April 8, 2013, 04:11:43 pm »
Was advised to invest in it by a mate last year. The mate in question is a total conspiracy loon so I gave it a miss without doing any research. May have made an error there.
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: April 8, 2013, 05:27:22 pm »
Even if BTC isn't around for the long haul, I think Cryptocurrency will be. I think it's comparable Napster when it first launched, what it did for file sharing and the music industry. Even if BTC fades, a more popular, user friendly cryptocurrency will take over.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #42 on: April 9, 2013, 03:58:31 pm »
Just hit the $200 mark - topping out at $219 (£143), and with that an increased wave of media attention. The bubble continues to grow!
:D

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #43 on: April 9, 2013, 04:45:09 pm »
If something looks too good to be true, generally it is.

Someone somewhere will get too greedy on this and find some way of cheating to rip other people off...

I'm sorry, I'm not sold, I really think it will be a fad (albeit an expensive fad), have it's day, someone will make money, and it will die out.

I'd just like to add, that all the best scams (not saying this is), have explainable processes which the common man would never understand, even if you gave him the handbook.

Things of true value, like Gold, Oil and Diamond on the other hand, are simple, you find it, you mine it, you sell it, you make money. 

« Last Edit: April 9, 2013, 04:48:58 pm by Shauno »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #44 on: April 9, 2013, 06:07:54 pm »
Do you have to buy a bitcoin to start mining with your computer?
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #45 on: April 9, 2013, 06:32:24 pm »
No you don't, but you wont achieve worthwhile results without a top end AMD graphics card, even then you're looking at a £1 a day or something.

I could give you a few links if you're interested to see how it works, nothing stops anyone mining.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #46 on: April 9, 2013, 06:43:26 pm »
You find it, you mine it, you sell it, you make money. 

Spot on, that's exactly how Bitcoins work ;)

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: April 9, 2013, 07:01:48 pm »
Lets start a RAWK mining pool. With the current inflation rate we will buy up our club in 6 years   :) :scarf

Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: April 9, 2013, 07:36:20 pm »
Spot on, that's exactly how Bitcoins work ;)

Your 1.75 coins are worth about £234 now lol I can't see this stopping anytime soon. I think it's going to go into the hundreds as the frenzy surrounding it only grows.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #49 on: April 9, 2013, 08:02:43 pm »
So I have an ATI HD 7950. Is it efficient in this 'mining' ?

"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #50 on: April 9, 2013, 08:07:09 pm »
No you don't, but you wont achieve worthwhile results without a top end AMD graphics card, even then you're looking at a £1 a day or something.

I could give you a few links if you're interested to see how it works, nothing stops anyone mining.

I've got a 7970 overclocked and an overclocked i5. Got any links so I can start making sweet monies?

I heard the electricity used to crunch though is more than whatever you'd make, is this true?

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: April 9, 2013, 08:12:38 pm »
I've got a 7970 overclocked and an overclocked i5. Got any links so I can start making sweet monies?

I heard the electricity used to crunch though is more than whatever you'd make, is this true?

Maybe you can make a profit right now; considering the price.

.......... and you can all check this two sites out - will give you all the info. I still think its better to just buy 'em.

http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #52 on: April 9, 2013, 08:18:56 pm »

UPDATED

The 7950 can perform at a rate of 685 mh/s, without factoring electricity costs and assuming you ran it all day - at the current exchange rate ($230 per BTC) and difficulty (how hard it is to mine) you could make about $10.00 a day. Obviously the value of this could increase.

I got the information from here:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Calculator here:
http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator

If you want to start mining, sign up to deepbit:
http://deepbit.net/

Select proportional mode when it asks you.

Download GUI miner from here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3878.0

Extract and open guiminer.exe

Select Deepbit from the dropdown menu, enter your email and password. In the extra flags box put -f60. Then click start mining!

You can see how much BTC you've earned here, there is also a box to enter your Bitcoin address.
https://deepbit.net/account

If you download a Bitcoin wallet they will generate an address so you can send the files to your wallet. The BTC will be stored as a key within this wallet. You can then either sit on it, try to cash out at like www.localbitcoins.com.
http://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

-----

There is dedicated hardware, see this product from Butterfly labs:
https://products.butterflylabs.com/homepage/5-gh-s-bitcoin-miner.html

It can mine at 5,000 mh/s and only costs $274. This would earn you $75 a day at current rates. The problem is they're about to start shipping them and if you ordered one you won't receive it for about half a year or probably longer. By this time mining will be more difficult due to these devices being flooded onto the market, you probably wouldn't make much money by that point.

Make the most of graphic card mining whilst the exchange rates are good and these devices aren't in the wild yet.
« Last Edit: April 9, 2013, 09:05:54 pm by Kashinoda »

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: April 9, 2013, 08:23:19 pm »

According to https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison the 7950 will give you a hash rate between 510 - 605 MH/s and the 7970 between 555-825 MH/s, if i'm reading it right. My Gtx 650 produces around 13 MH/s lol

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=102279.0 7950 thread

It's easy to get started just read through the mining section of that forum and you'll pick it up in a few minutes. I think the software I used was GUIminer http://guiminer.org/. You'll need to sign up to a pool or mine solo. From what I gather it's near impossible to mine solo using GPUs so I joined slushys at http://mining.bitcoin.cz/. The rewards are shared but something is better than nothing.
« Last Edit: April 9, 2013, 08:29:52 pm by Marty 85 »

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #54 on: April 9, 2013, 08:29:37 pm »
Marty didn't like my guide :(

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 9, 2013, 08:31:32 pm »
I changed a few of the hashrate figures I was quoting from the cards, We quoted the same link but I must've been reading them wrong.

Butterflylabs appear to be scammers, they've been taking preorders for a year and a half and have yet to ship anything but those hashrates are incredible compared to GPU mining.
« Last Edit: April 9, 2013, 08:33:25 pm by Marty 85 »

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: April 9, 2013, 08:48:42 pm »
Wow, looks like the boom has caught a second wind.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #57 on: April 9, 2013, 09:13:11 pm »
Still a bit confused. I've got the program running GUIminer at 550mhs. But after about 5 minutes it stops and I have to click stop mining and start to get it running again.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #58 on: April 9, 2013, 10:20:51 pm »
Still a bit confused. I've got the program running GUIminer at 550mhs. But after about 5 minutes it stops and I have to click stop mining and start to get it running again.

Doesn't happen to throw an advert at you each time does it?

I'm sorry mate, I'm still not convinced...

I'd be interested to see how people get on.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #59 on: April 9, 2013, 10:23:50 pm »

There's no con for mining.

You open a program, contribute to solving complex equations using your PC.

You are given BTC instantly, which you can exchange for cash.

I appreciate there is skepticism regarding people simply buying BTC due to a boom, but mining is sound.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #60 on: April 9, 2013, 10:28:49 pm »
There's no con for mining.

You open a program, contribute to solving complex equations using your PC.

You are given BTC instantly, which you can exchange for cash.

I appreciate there is skepticism regarding people simply buying BTC due to a boom, but mining is sound.

Do you remember Seti@home? Folding@Home? Rosetta@Home?

They where quite big in their day and I remember anyone who was anyone had a crack at it. Still haven't found E.T and they are they any closer to discovering a cure for cancer due to it? I dunno, perhaps...

As you said, there'll always be skeptics and I aint trying to be a keyboard warrior, I'm just trying to decode in my head how this all works.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: April 9, 2013, 11:09:48 pm »

I can understand your scepticism as I'm abit of cynic myself and if something seems to good to be true, then...... BUT this is a bubble, people are able to comfortably retire on such investments. It happened with the internet and real estate. You just need to get in there early and get out in time. The big question is - Is this still early days?

Join the above forum and ask in the newbie section. Somebody will surely help. After a few post and 4 hours login time on the site, they will let you out onto the main board. or you could try using http://bitminter.com/. It's very noob friendly and here's a guide https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=22432.0
« Last Edit: April 9, 2013, 11:24:35 pm by Marty 85 »

Offline flashman

• Lacking Cum Stilettos
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2013, 07:53:15 am »
Have been reading up on this, its quite fascinating. I think the spike at the moment has to be a bubble, surely, and you would imagine the price will come crashing down. Its difficult and dangerous to call the top of the market. Anyway I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the best way to buy coins, from what I have read it seems like a hassle.
Is it possible just to go on a site, pay by debit card and the coins are deposited.

2. How can you store the coins safely, in simple terms i.e for someone who is not computer literate.
I'm sure if they were just stored in a wallet on my pc some hacker would have them off pretty easily?

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2013, 11:40:49 am »
I was looking at buying 10 coins for £360 on ebay last week, wish I went through with it now.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2013, 12:32:20 pm »
Ouch, just digged up an old wallet file, has no bitcoins in it but has some transaction history.

On the 18th of July last year I transferred 41.5405BTC - probably worth about £200 then.

Would now be worth £7000 :)

Have been reading up on this, its quite fascinating. I think the spike at the moment has to be a bubble, surely, and you would imagine the price will come crashing down. Its difficult and dangerous to call the top of the market. Anyway I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the best way to buy coins, from what I have read it seems like a hassle.
Is it possible just to go on a site, pay by debit card and the coins are deposited.

2. How can you store the coins safely, in simple terms i.e for someone who is not computer literate.
I'm sure if they were just stored in a wallet on my pc some hacker would have them off pretty easily?

You could just encrypt it on your PC (wallet programs have this built in, all you'd need to do is think up a password), and keep a backup of it on something like Dropbox. Should be safe.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:35:33 pm by Kashinoda »

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2013, 12:38:07 pm »
Ouch, just digged up an old wallet file, has no bitcoins in it but has some transaction history.

On the 18th of July last year I transferred 41.5405BTC - probably worth about £200 then.

Would now be worth £7000 :)

Ouch!!

Makes me feel better though (as in I am not the only shortsighted idiot out there).

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2013, 12:50:35 pm »

You can't reliably buy Bitcoins using PayPal or credit cards, because it is risky for the seller, and therefore few sellers will offer this. There are basically 4 reasons for that:

The TOS of PayPal actually prohibit buying digital currency with it
The buyer of bitcoins can always perform a chargeback and there is no way for the seller to contest that
There are many hacked accounts and when PayPal realizes that such an account has been fraudulently used, they will also perform a chargeback
PayPal doesn't like bitcoin, as the bitcoin network is in direct competition to it.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Buying_Bitcoins_%28the_newbie_version%29

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2013, 01:48:11 pm »
Yeah, I was looking at Localbitcoins but as you said, the prices are fairly high. I've yet to buy any, but I will either transfer to transferwise, convert into EUR and then forward it onto Bitstamp or MTGox or just use Localbitcoins if I can find someone who prices fairly. Block chaim ceased all transfers from UK bank accounts the other week.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2013, 02:43:53 pm »
Thanks for that. I guess it's why i'm cautious about jumping in right now. I almost wish it would crash or there would be some sort of correction, just so I could invest.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2013, 03:26:06 pm »
Do you think Max Keiser is Satoshi Nakamoto?

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2013, 04:49:51 pm »

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2013, 05:36:07 pm »
Interesting but they would have to infect millions of computers for it be any way effective as it's using your CPU to mine, rather than a GPU.

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2013, 06:21:06 pm »
Doesn't seem to have increased over yesterday's - boom phase over (for now, that is)?

There will be a lot of overnight millionaires cashing out now.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2013, 07:21:27 pm »
UPDATED

If you download a Bitcoin wallet they will generate an address so you can send the files to your wallet. The BTC will be stored as a key within this wallet. You can then either sit on it, try to cash out at like www.localbitcoins.com.
http://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

How do you connect your guiminer to the wallet? it says label and address, what do you put in here?

Also my miner program stops after about 5 minutes, how do I keep it constantly running? It says it's running, but my gpu activity suddenly dies.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:25:34 pm by DanFromMars »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2013, 07:26:30 pm »
When the tulips blossom.

Haha - I was going to post exactly that.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2013, 08:37:38 pm »
Selling at $130 now.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2013, 08:40:19 pm »
How do you connect your guiminer to the wallet? it says label and address, what do you put in here?

Also my miner program stops after about 5 minutes, how do I keep it constantly running? It says it's running, but my gpu activity suddenly dies.

Have you downloaded the official Bitcoin client http://bitcoin.org/en/download ? Yu will need to download that first. There's an option within that client to create an address. This is what you will input onto your mining pool website so that all shares are paid direct to you. You can join a pool like Slushy's, there you can register an account, then input your username and password into GUIminer to link everything together.

There's an autostart button, have you that selected? If that doesn't work try using the Bitminter client. It has a large graphical interface is easy to setup bitminter.com

Selling at $130 now.

Apparently it's just another spate of DDOS attacks causing the price to go down. I was wondering because alot of the Litecoin sites were being attacked today and had alot of down time.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:43:15 pm by Marty 85 »

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Re: Bitcoin
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2013, 10:32:03 pm »
I'm not sure this thread belongs on this site. Someone feel free to give me one or two good reasons why it doesn't get binned.

Because the fundamentals of Bitcoins are things that we should fight for, a currency that isn't run by banks or government but by the people that use it.

The bubble is the result of significant real world problems, the banking crisis in Cyprus for example lead to a 100% increase in Bitcoin value a few weeks back.

The media hype due to price increases has made people invest in this big time looking to cash in, that's the way of the world. But the long term implications of having a worldwide decentralised currency is something we should pay attention to.

All that aside, it is big news right now.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2013, 11:06:33 pm »
I find it hard to believe Bitcoin was created by one hacker. I've been studying it for a while and it's such an incredible idea. The understanding of so many different fields that would be required to develop something of this complexity is absolutely huge. If it was indeed one bloke, he's a fucking genius.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2013, 02:58:09 am »
I find it hard to believe Bitcoin was created by one hacker. I've been studying it for a while and it's such an incredible idea. The understanding of so many different fields that would be required to develop something of this complexity is absolutely huge. If it was indeed one bloke, he's a fucking genius.

Better the story, bigger the effect.

I really hope some normal, every day Joes like you guys in this thread make a killing from it, but anyone thinking of investing their hard earned cash should do as much empirical research as possible into it before gambling on something that has no actual material in the real world.

After reading a Guardian Article on it. (I know, I'm lazy and all that shit!). The one worrying element which should worry everyone involved is this:

"Dealing in the currency is volatile as has been the history of the services that allow people to trade in Bitcoins. Mt.Gox has been subject to repeated hacking attacks. Instawallet, a popular service for storing Bitcoins, had to be suspended after it was hacked."

The hackers won't stop. They'll spoil it for everyone...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:01:57 am by Shauno »
Continually on 11,420.