Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 828434 times)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #760 on: November 2, 2011, 08:34:53 am »
Barnes scored a great solo goal to equalise in that Arsenal League Cup game. Brian Marwood either scored or set there's up and the commentators were claiming he was the best left wing in the country. Digger made them see sense. Think it went to a 2nd replay which we won late on, either at Villa Park or even Highfield Road. Can't remember who knocked us out that season though.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #761 on: November 2, 2011, 08:39:52 am »
1974 Ipswich Town (Division One) Portman Road 0-1
Att 30,564

Ipswich was an awkward away match for us in the first half of the Seventies. Although we had won 2-0 there in the first season after they had returned to the top division in 1968, we hadn’t won there since and there would be no joy in 1974-75 either, when we twice lost by the same score (1-0). In this League match Brian Talbot scored a second-half winner; in the F.A. cup nearly three months later an even later (and scruffier) goal from Ipswich captain Mick Mills ended our defence of the trophy at the 4th round stage. We would not win at Portman Road again until August 1978.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: November 2, 2011, 08:42:23 am »
Barnes scored a great solo goal to equalise in that Arsenal League Cup game. Brian Marwood either scored or set there's up and the commentators were claiming he was the best left wing in the country. Digger made them see sense. Think it went to a 2nd replay which we won late on, either at Villa Park or even Highfield Road. Can't remember who knocked us out that season though.

Yes. It took three matches to get past Arsenal. The second replay was at Villa Park. A week later we got thumped 4-1 at West Ham in the 4th round.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2011, 08:53:25 am by kriss »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: November 2, 2011, 08:44:03 am »
1977 Dynamo Dresden (European Cup 2nd round 2nd leg) Rudolf Harbig Stadium 1-2
Steve Heighway 67'
Att 33,000

We held a big 5-1 lead from the first leg. The referee was Dutchman Charles Corver, who would also be in the middle for the final of this competition at Wembley a few months later. Dresden blew us away in the first half and led two-nil at the interval. I seem to remember Bob Paisley making some comment later in England that he was so amazed by the speed and precision with which the Germans attacked that he thought they must have taken something to make them perform like that. At half-time we were as likely to go out as go through, even though Dynamo still needed two more to win on away goals. Thankfully, Steve Heighway settled everyone’s nerves with a neat finish at the mid-point of the second half and after that we held out comfortably enough to qualify for the quarter-finals the following spring.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2011, 08:46:46 am by kriss »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: November 2, 2011, 08:45:27 am »
1982 HJK Helsinki (European Cup 2nd round 2nd leg) Anfield 5-0
Kenny Dalglish 26' Craig Johnston 30' Phil Neal 44' Alan Kennedy 61' 69'
Att 16,434

The sort of routine home victory you would hope for against a Scandinavian team. However, we had somehow lost the away leg one-nil so there was still a job to do on the night. Kenny equalised the aggregate score and further goals by Johnston and Neal gave us a healthy half-time lead. Second-half honours went to Alan Kennedy, who scored his first European goals since the Paris final of 1981.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: November 2, 2011, 08:46:16 am »
1983 Atletico Bilbao (European Cup 2nd round 2nd leg) San Mames 1-0
Ian Rush 66'
Att 47,500

One of the club’s finest-ever European performances against opponents who rarely lost at their own stadium. We were under a lot of pressure after failing to win the home leg but in our favour was the fact that although we had not scored at Anfield, we had not conceded either. Ian Rush’s 5th European cup goal (a neat header from a right-footed left-wing cross by Alan Kennedy) and a determined defensive display saw us through to a famous victory.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: November 2, 2011, 08:48:27 am »
1985 Leicester City (Division One) Anfield 1-0
Ian Rush 84'
Att 31,718

Leicester goalkeeper Ian Andrews, only 20-years-old at the time of this match, gave the performance of his life, pulling off a string of fine saves until finally being beaten by Ian Rush with just six minutes left.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #767 on: November 2, 2011, 08:48:36 am »
Yes. It took three matches to get past Arsenal. The second replay was at Villa Park. A week later we got thimped 4-1 ay West Ham in the 4th round.

Of course, Paul Ince hat trick no less. Horrible!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: November 2, 2011, 08:49:25 am »
1988 Arsenal (Littlewoods Cup 3rd round) Anfield 1-1
John Barnes 66'
Att 31,951

The first of the autumnal League cup trilogy with Arsenal. A fine solo goal from John Barnes gave us the lead but a brilliant strike by the late David Rocastle earned the visitors a replay.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2011, 09:16:59 pm by kriss »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: November 2, 2011, 08:50:17 am »
1991 Crystal Palace (Division One) Anfield 1-2
Glenn Hysen 43'
Att 34,231

Glenn Hysen’s third and final Liverpool goal gave us a half-time lead. Oddly, Hysen only scored twice in the League for Liverpool and both were headers against Crystal Palace (the other being in the famous 9-0 of 1989). Marco Gabbiadini equalised (this was his only season as a Palace player) then Geoff Thomas scored an unlikely winner in front of the Kop.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: November 2, 2011, 08:51:18 am »
2002 Westham United (Premier League) Anfield 2-0
Michael Owen 27' 54'
Att 44,048

A goal in each half from Michael Owen, his 10th and 11th of another prolific season that would see him finish with 28 in all competitions, gave us a comfortable victory over opponents who were then still seeking (and still are today!) their first win at Anfield since 1963.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: November 2, 2011, 08:52:37 am »
2003 Fulham (Premier League) Loftus Road 2-1
Emile Heskey 17' Danny Murphy 89' (Pen)
Att 17,682

The second of the two occasions we played Fulham at Loftus Road when they were using QPR’s stadium for their home matches while Craven Cottage was being renovated. Emile Heskey gave us the lead with a fierce volley past Mark Crossley, who was deputising for the injured Edwin van der Sar. A fortunate deflection allowed Louis Saha to equalise. As full-time approached, Sinama-Pongolle was chopped down by Zat Knight and referee Rob Styles gave a penalty which Danny Murphy converted to make him a scorer in three successive matches. On another statistical note, Vladimir Smicer made his 100th Premier League appearance.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #772 on: November 2, 2011, 08:56:11 am »
Of course, Paul Ince hat trick no less. Horrible!

He got two. Steve Staunton scored an own-goal and the final goal came from Tony Gale.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #773 on: November 2, 2011, 09:00:32 am »
1983 Atletico Bilbao (European Cup 2nd round 2nd leg) San Mames 1-0
Ian Rush 66'
Att 47,500

One of the club’s finest-ever European performances against opponents who rarely lost at their own stadium. We were under a lot of pressure after failing to win the home leg but in our favour was the fact that although we had not scored at Anfield, we had not conceded either. Ian Rush’s 5th European cup goal (a neat header from a right-footed left-wing cross by Alan Kennedy) and a determined defensive display saw us through to a famous victory.

Did you go to that Kriss? Or anyone else on here? Just wondering what it was like that night. Went the San Mames last year & it's a really atmospheric place. It was sold out when we got to the ticket office, but we managed to blag our way in saying we'd flown over from England and were writing a book about famous old footy grounds that were disappearing (theres a new stadium being built next door to the current one). The blag worked & a couple of tickets were found...must've been convincing  :P

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #774 on: November 2, 2011, 09:03:59 am »
a pub i drink in, with regard to the spurs game theres still grafitti in the bog regarding roman pavlyuchenkos late winner. was out that night for my mrs birthday and we were just gobsmacked as to how we lost that game. we took an early lead. then darren bent sliced a cross against his own crossbar. in the second half steven gerrard hit the bar twice within a minute. first one gomes in goal was making mistake after mistake at the time but had had a great game here.

he pushed a gerrard shot onto the bar with the tiniest of fingertips. then robbie keane a minute later intercepted a back pass for us and laid it for gerrard. tight angle and gerrard went for it with gomes out of his goal. ball hit the crossbar again.

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #775 on: November 2, 2011, 09:09:33 am »
Did you go to that Kriss? Or anyone else on here? Just wondering what it was like that night. Went the San Mames last year & it's a really atmospheric place. It was sold out when we got to the ticket office, but we managed to blag our way in saying we'd flown over from England and were writing a book about famous old footy grounds that were disappearing (theres a new stadium being built next door to the current one). The blag worked & a couple of tickets were found...must've been convincing  :P

No, I was not there for that one. But Rafa_La ... who started this thread back in September ... kind of agreed with me that "Personal Memories" does not mean you had to have been there, just that you remembered the occasion.

A couple of my friends went to Bilbao. The main thing they remember was a hostile but non-threatening atmosphere and that at the end of the match the home crowd generously applauded our boys off the pitch, which was unusual in other countries even though we often did it ourselves at Anfield to show respect and appreciation for European opponents who had performed well against us.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #776 on: November 2, 2011, 09:11:35 am »
1977 Dynamo Dresden (European Cup 2nd round 2nd leg) Rudolf Harbig Stadium 1-2
Steve Heighway 67'
Att 33,000

Still have nightmares about this one. I was 13 and still in school. It was an afternoon kick-off so I decided to sneak a little old transistor radio into class so I could keep up to date with the game. I had it in an old Adidas holdall that I could keep on the lab top and reach into every now and again.
 Only problem was we had double Chemistry and the teacher was a fucking psychopath, he should never have been allowed around kids never mind teaching them!
 All was going well (not on the pitch obviously) until I saw him get up from his seat and start walking towards where I was sat. He hadn't heard the radio, just fancied stretching his legs I think but I panicked and instead of turning the radio off I turned the fucking volume up loud enough to be heard in the next room.
 He went ballistic. Big, mad red face, veins popping on his forehead, I'm convinced he'd have taken a Bunsen burner to me if he thought he'd get away with it. In the end I got lines, detention, put on report, my mum and dad had to go up to the school...the whole works. Didn't even get to hear Heighway's goal. :(

On the subject of the first leg, it was our first game after winning the EC for the first time. I was in the Anny Rd that night and when we went off at half-time 3-0 up the Kop was an amazing sight, not sure I ever saw it better. When Dresden scored in the 2nd half you could have heard a pin drop, East Germany was still Communist in those days and they didn't have much away support in Europe!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: November 2, 2011, 09:13:05 am »
1991- we lost 2-1 at home to palace. steve mcmahon was quoted in the press as saying that "amateur teams defend better than we did" . he left about 6 weeks later and i wonder was it cos of that. although the previous year he broke his leg in an everton game and maybe souness felt he wasnt the same player. i dont think he was given he didnt do much at man city but he was worth holding onto.

as mentioned in 1988 barnes scored a brilliant solo effort against arsenal. he did something similar about a month later at highbury.

west ham 2002 i still remember vividly eamonn dunphy was even saying wed win the league. that night we were 7 points clear (arsenal in 2nd had a game in hand which they won the next day). we were also odds on to win the title that monday. it was our 11th game and we had won 8 and drawn 3 (the 3 we had lead up to the 82nd min). we would not win at anfield in the league again until march! and it was our last league win full stop for over two months. by which time we were not only out of the running for the league but we were almost out of the running to get into europe full stop

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: November 2, 2011, 09:18:27 am »
No, I was not there for that one. But Rafa_La ... who started this thread back in September ... kind of agreed with me that "Personal Memories" does not mean you had to have been there, just that you remembered the occasion.
Quite right too.

A couple of my friends went to Bilbao. The main thing they remember was a hostile but non-threatening atmosphere and that at the end of the match the home crowd generously applauded our boys off the pitch, which was unusual in other countries even though we often did it ourselves at Anfield to show respect and appreciation for European opponents who had performed well against us.
This was the thing that stuck in my mind last year...how "English" it was, big noisy crowd close to the pitch etc. Doesn't surprise me to hear they applauded us off.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #779 on: November 2, 2011, 09:58:57 am »

west ham 2002 i still remember vividly eamonn dunphy was even saying wed win the league. that night we were 7 points clear (arsenal in 2nd had a game in hand which they won the next day). we were also odds on to win the title that monday. it was our 11th game and we had won 8 and drawn 3 (the 3 we had lead up to the 82nd min). we would not win at anfield in the league again until march! and it was our last league win full stop for over two months. by which time we were not only out of the running for the league but we were almost out of the running to get into europe full stop

Such a mad collapse wasn’t it. It could have been even better as well. Of the 3 draws we’d had up to that point two of them were when we had blown 2-0 leads at Anfield against Newcastle and Birmingham. What was the other draw, have a feeling it’s one we should have won as well – ah Blackburn away when again they equalized late for a 2-2. We weren’t always playing free flowing stuff but there was no indication about what was to happen.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: November 2, 2011, 10:13:30 am »
Still have nightmares about this one. I was 13 and still in school. It was an afternoon kick-off so I decided to sneak a little old transistor radio into class so I could keep up to date with the game. I had it in an old Adidas holdall that I could keep on the lab top and reach into every now and again.
 Only problem was we had double Chemistry and the teacher was a fucking psychopath, he should never have been allowed around kids never mind teaching them!
 All was going well (not on the pitch obviously) until I saw him get up from his seat and start walking towards where I was sat. He hadn't heard the radio, just fancied stretching his legs I think but I panicked and instead of turning the radio off I turned the fucking volume up loud enough to be heard in the next room.
 He went ballistic. Big, mad red face, veins popping on his forehead, I'm convinced he'd have taken a Bunsen burner to me if he thought he'd get away with it. In the end I got lines, detention, put on report, my mum and dad had to go up to the school...the whole works. Didn't even get to hear Heighway's goal. :(

On the subject of the first leg, it was our first game after winning the EC for the first time. I was in the Anny Rd that night and when we went off at half-time 3-0 up the Kop was an amazing sight, not sure I ever saw it better. When Dresden scored in the 2nd half you could have heard a pin drop, East Germany was still Communist in those days and they didn't have much away support in Europe!

Love that story, jaffod; because I also remember numerous occasions at school when I had to rely on a radio for news and updates (afternoon matches but especially the live F.A. cup draws on a Monday lunchtime).

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: November 2, 2011, 10:14:27 am »
Such a mad collapse wasn’t it. It could have been even better as well. Of the 3 draws we’d had up to that point two of them were when we had blown 2-0 leads at Anfield against Newcastle and Birmingham. What was the other draw, have a feeling it’s one we should have won as well – ah Blackburn away when again they equalized late for a 2-2. We weren’t always playing free flowing stuff but there was no indication about what was to happen.
that was it

i think we were more attacking that season at the start. didi hamann was pushing forward more. Michael Owen initially started quite slugglishly. the newcastle game he scored a penalty but missed atleast 5 chances. should have been atleast 6-0 up by the time we threw it away. against Middlesbrough the following week we played as if it was away to barcelona and just sat back all game tryna hold out for 0-0. carragher reckoned in his book houllier was just obsessed with getting to 12 games unbeaten which would have been a premier league record for us and set us up to get a draw. bad form given away to middlesbrough is hardly the nou camp.

easy to say in hindsight houllier should have gone after that but i think that was one moment people will quite rightly point to as saying it started to go downhill. we played brutal for the rest of the season but if he was sacked then there would have been murder. hindsight is a wonderful thing. (i think i even put up a post defending him at the time on the old .tv forum)

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: November 2, 2011, 11:33:03 pm »
Today In History
November 2nd
1988 Arsenal (Littlewoods Cup 3erd round) Anfield 1-1
John Barnes 66'
Att 31,951

Arsenal played really well that night and we were fortunate to get a replay. The goals from Barnes and the sadly deceased David Rocastle (RIP David) were both top quality, and Arsenal had a would be winner harshly ruled out. The Highbury replay was a very tight game with little goal threat. We then battered Arsenal at Villa Park in the 2nd replay. Nigel Spackman was harshly deprived of what would have been his only Liverpool goal by the linesman inside 3 minutes, Paul Merson gave them a half time lead, but we got the win we deserved thanks to a typical Steve McMahon thunderbolt and a late header from John Aldridge, both at the Witton End where I was stood.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: November 3, 2011, 07:34:00 am »
3rd November 1971 : Bayern Munich 3 Liverpool 1

Gerd Müller (on his 26th birthday) scored twice to help put us out (the other goal came from Uli Hoeness) Here is one of Bayern’s goal that evening :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq9M4Rrnfwk

Our goal, scored by Alun Evans, was so good that it won the German equilavent of our “Goal of the Month” competition.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: November 3, 2011, 07:36:00 am »
3rd November 1973 : Arsenal 0 Liverpool 2

A long-range screamer from Emlyn gave us the lead. Toshack added a second to seal the win with five minutes to go. Here are the goals :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RJXr0-u960#t=271s

This was the match before which Tommy Smith stormed off having been told by Bill Shankly that he would not be playing. Shanks also left him out of the squad to play Red Star Belgrade the following midweek. Smithy wasn’t picked for the first team again until a League Cup tie at Hull at the end of the month.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: November 3, 2011, 07:37:22 am »
3rd November 1976 : Liverpool 3 Trabzonspor 0

Hundreds of British-based Turks invaded the Main Stand about an hour before kick-off. It took the stewards most of that hour to get them out. What their presence did was to fire up the home support, still seething about the penalty-decision that had cost us the first leg. By the time the match started, the atmosphere inside Anfield was crackling. We blew them away with three goals in the opening twenty minutes; and their indiscipline cost them near the end when second-half substitute Milemic Cemil cut one of our players in half and was rightly sent off.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: November 3, 2011, 07:39:47 am »
3rd November 1979 : Liverpool 3 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0

At a time when the teams entered the arena separately instead of side-by-side like they do today, Emlyn received a thunderous reception from all four sides of the stadium as he led his Wolves team out on his first return to Anfield since signing for the Midlands club in August 1979. Sadly for Crazy Horse, an early mistake gifted Kenny Dalglish the opening goal. Here are all three goals :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVIMCoeSB_Q#t=530s

The build-up to the second goal was every bit as good as the seconds that preceded Terry McDermott’s goal against Tottenham in 1978. As commentator Barry Davies put it at the time “Neal, Johnson, McDermott, Dalglish, goal … it was as simple as that”; a quite breath-taking move that resulted in one of the finest goals I ever saw live.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: November 3, 2011, 07:40:40 am »
3rd November 1984 : Stoke City 0 Liverpool 1

Ronnie Whelan’s late strike (a 20-yarder that went in off a post) brought some respite to under-pressure manager Joe Fagan. Our second successive away win in the League moved us up to 12th place in the First Division table.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #788 on: November 3, 2011, 07:41:54 am »
3rd November 1996 : Blackburn Rovers 3 Liverpool 0

A quite dismal performance that was in some ways typical of the Roy Evans management era; strong in defence this season (conceding only 37 goals in 38 Premier League matches), the skill and creativity needed to win matches was often lacking … as it was on this miserable Sunday afternoon at Blackburn.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: November 3, 2011, 07:42:56 am »
3rd November 1998 : Valencia 2 Liverpool 2

An eventful evening at the Mestella when for a long time it looked as if we were going out of Europe only for the match to turn on its head in the last ten minutes. Following a goal-less draw at Anfield, it looked as if the goal scored by Claudio Lopez just before half-time would put us out. With ten minutes left, Owen broke clear on the right and centred for McManaman to head the crucial away goal that might take us through instead; even better, Patrik Berger then scored with a typically-fierce shot to give us the lead on the night and also an aggregate. That advantage was nullified by a second Lopez goal right on time, by which time three players had been dismissed … Carboni punched McManaman and Steve retaliated; Paul Ince dived in and also saw red. Against all the odds, we had made it through to the next round.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: November 3, 2011, 07:44:09 am »
3rd November 2004 : Deportivo La Coruna 0 Liverpool 1

A crucial win in the context of Group A in the Champions League, especially as we had failed to beat the Spaniards in England two weeks earlier. Igor Biscan, in as replacement for the injured Steven Gerrard,  was one of our stars on the night. His break from midfield ended when Riise’s cross was sliced into his own net by Jorge Andrade under pressure from Baros.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: November 3, 2011, 07:45:17 am »
3rd November 2007 : Blackburn Rovers 0 Liverpool 0

Many adjectives could describe this Saturday match at Ewood Park four years ago today. Shall I just be kind and say that it was … dire >:(.

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #792 on: November 3, 2011, 07:53:17 am »
WoW, those entries from kriss remind me of the arguments at home when the older brothers wanted to debunk to different parts of the Liverpool world for matches.
Couple more on the list
Today In History
November 3erd

1962 Burnley (Division One) Anfield 1-2
Ian St John 50'
Att 43,870

1971 Bayern Munich (European Cup-Winners Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Sechzger Stadion 1-3
Alun Evans 37'
Att 40,000

1973 Arsenal (Division One) Highbury 2-0
Emlyn Hughes 77' John Toshack 85'
Att 39,837

1976 Trabzonspor (European Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Anfield 3-0
Steve Heighway 8' John Toshack 10' Kevin Keegan 19'
Att 42,275

1979 Wolverhampton Wanderers (Division One) Anfield 3-0
Kenny Dalglish 4' 52' Ray Kennedy 67'
Att 49,541

1984 Stoke City (Division One) Victoria Ground 1-0
Ronnie Whelan 86'
Att 20,611

1986 Motherwell (Friendly) Fir Park Stadium 1-1
John Wark
Att 11,541

1996 Blackburn Rovers (Premier League) Ewood Park 0-3
Att 29,598

1998 Valencia (UEFA Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Mestalla 2-2
Steve McManaman 81' Patrik Berger 86'
Att 53,000

2004 Deportivo La Coruna (Champions League Group Stage Match 4) Estadio Municipal De Riazor 1-0
Jorge Andrade (OG) 14'
Att 32,000

2007 Blackburn Rovers (Premier League) Ewood Park 0-0
Att 30,043

TRANSFERS ON THIS DAY

OUT

Brad Friedel (2000)

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Willie Stevenson (1962)
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #793 on: November 3, 2011, 08:41:26 am »
That Valencia game was mental. From thinking we were going out to the elation of getting through to the despair of realising we were missing two of our best players in the next round. As it was we got thoroughly schooled by Celta Vigo. Beating Valencia was a good scalp though, they went on to make the next two Champions League finals.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: November 3, 2011, 08:52:16 am »
3rd November 1984 : Stoke City 0 Liverpool 1
Victoria Ground.

Remember Whelan's winning goal vividly. Was right in line with the shot and watched its perfect curve into the net (similar to the "Whelan's curled it" one against the mancs at Wembley). Up until a minute before, I'd been sat with my dad, but he'd got off early as he wanted to beat the traffic. As a petulant 14 year old, I'd refused to go with him in case there was a goal. At the final whistle I legged it back to the car, arms aloft as I reached it shouting "we won". He already knew as he'd been sat there listening to the results on radio 2. Luckily Whelan's winner meant he was in a good mood & the traffic jam we were now stuck in thanks to me was forgotten.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #795 on: November 3, 2011, 08:55:27 am »
blackburn away in 2007 dirk kuyt missed about 4 chances to win it

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: November 3, 2011, 09:12:33 am »
Willie Stevenson's debut - wasn't around myself but my dad always goes on about the run he made in the 1965 cup final. We've all seen it over & over again of course, but I just love the way he drops his shoulders and beats a couple of Leeds players & slips in Gerry Byrne perfectly. That first Leeds defender he sells him so comprehensively he ends up about 10 yeards away nearly on his arse! Remember this is in extra time too on a heavy pitch. Brilliant stuff.

Found out recently, my dad sometimes watches Liverpool matches in the same pub as Willie. A couple of arl arses, both born in the 1930s, shouting at the telly whenever someone goes down too easily, Liverpool players included!  :)

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #797 on: November 3, 2011, 09:46:46 am »
Willie Stevenson's debut - wasn't around myself but my dad always goes on about the run he made in the 1965 cup final. We've all seen it over & over again of course, but I just love the way he drops his shoulders and beats a couple of Leeds players & slips in Gerry Byrne perfectly. That first Leeds defender he sells him so comprehensively he ends up about 10 yeards away nearly on his arse! Remember this is in extra time too on a heavy pitch. Brilliant stuff.

Found out recently, my dad sometimes watches Liverpool matches in the same pub as Willie. A couple of arl arses, both born in the 1930s, shouting at the telly whenever someone goes down too easily, Liverpool players included!  :)
nice!

must look at that as im more in amazement with gerry byrne setting up the goal with his broken collar bone. how the hell did he play 110+ mins with that.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: November 3, 2011, 09:54:33 am »
nice!

must look at that as im more in amazement with gerry byrne setting up the goal with his broken collar bone. how the hell did he play 110+ mins with that.
here ya go mate...he's already on his way when this vid starts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I03OJNr7XF8

As for Gerry, they were made of tough stuff then eh!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: November 3, 2011, 09:58:08 am »
here ya go mate...he's already on his way when this vid starts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I03OJNr7XF8

As for Gerry, they were made of tough stuff then eh!
absolutely cheers for the link

to be honest i wouldnt expect a player to do it today. not cos most are pansies but its a case of more guts than brains. was a different era, i mean then you just tried to play on with a broken leg which a physio tried to fix with a sponge and water or if it was bad, an aspirin