Author Topic: RIP Ray Clemence  (Read 23149 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RIP Ray Clemence
« Reply #320 on: November 16, 2020, 12:32:29 pm »
I was talking to a pal today about Clem. We were remembering the famous things about him. His agility, his judgement, the graceful way he dived, his courage (in an age where goalies seemed to dive at forwards' feet much more than now), his phenomenal powers of concentration, and his physical strength. But what really set him apart was something neither of us had really noticed at the time and which only becomes obvious when you look back at old film of Clem. That was his speed. Speed off his line, speed getting rid of the ball with a quick throw, speed of foot to get into position to make an efficient dive. It's so modern.

I was on the Kop when Clem came home in '82. That ovation has subsequently become famous and is being replayed a lot today. What we sometimes forget is how tense that match was. We were down 0-1 at half time when Clem made his approach to the Kop goal. We needed to win that match to win the League Title. Clem defending the goal for Spurs was going to make that very difficult indeed. And yet...everyone on the Kop swallowed their anxiety and gave the man a hero's welcome. It's one of the great moments.

I like to think Clem had a tear in his eye still when Kenny slotted the winner past him.

"Europe's, Europe's Number One...." as our song to him used to go. And in a golden age of goalkeepers too. RIP Clem.
Lovely Yorky.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 10:38:42 pm by John C »

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #321 on: November 16, 2020, 12:37:35 pm »
RIP Ray Clemence.

YNWA.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #322 on: November 16, 2020, 02:42:17 pm »
My favourite save by Ray even though it was for England it's just an incredible reflex save. Never noticed it before but Joe Jordan is already celebrating.

https://twitter.com/1968Tv/status/1328000843866628096

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #323 on: November 16, 2020, 02:56:55 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/16/ray-clemence-obituary

A brilliant obituary, this bit struck me....

"...he was unassailable in the position, playing 337 games without missing a match from September 1972 until March 1978...."

Astonishing.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #324 on: November 16, 2020, 04:05:01 pm »
Just re watched that beautiful tribute the club put together ...I got very emotional again...and realised that wasnt just the story of Ray's life at Liverpool..for those of us of a certain generation...it is the story of our lives too.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 04:07:36 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #325 on: November 16, 2020, 04:23:27 pm »
Just re watched that beautiful tribute the club put together ...I got very emotional again...and realised that wasnt just the story of Ray's life at Liverpool..for those of us of a certain generation...it is the story of our lives too.
I think you're right. Before I first started going, I remember listening to games on Radio Merseyside. Clem was the constant and represented safety. "Clemence saves", or "ball played back to Clemence who picks it up, bounces it once, twice kicks it high into the night sky" etc.....He could always slow it down when needed too.

I found an old Fairs Cup programme from December 1970, so 50 years old in a few weeks. Smith, Hughes, Hall, Peter Thompson and now Clemence.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #326 on: November 16, 2020, 04:26:36 pm »
A legendary player and by all accounts a true gent on and off the pitch. We've lost another Kop hero. Rest in peace Ray. You'll never be forgotten. YNWA
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #327 on: November 16, 2020, 06:48:45 pm »
Another one way before my time, but obviously another household name I wish I could have witnessed in his prime. Club and sporting legend and fully cemented his place in the history books. I've gotten a real kick out of reading the memories of those on here and elsewhere who were fortunate enough to watch him play. He'll live on in my imagination if nothing else.

RIP

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: November 16, 2020, 07:12:17 pm »
Message form FSG

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: November 16, 2020, 08:49:32 pm »
Just seen a great interview with a few legends of the club where Ray was involved and seem like such a gent with a wee glint in his eye he retold the time Shanks went to sign him for Liverpool. Shanks was keen to get his man so told Ray his time was coming as poor old Tommy Lawrence was starting to creak between the sticks, was well past 30 at this stage so if he came to Liverpool, Ray would get his jersey within a year. The papers were quickly signed and Ray was delighted to start a new chapter at the best club in the land. He got a land alright as on arrival he found out Tommy was only 27, still at the top of his game, Liverpool had scouted Ray more times than any other player Shanks ever signed before and it would be two & half years before he got his chance after we got beat by Watford.

One of his greatest saves was v Borussia Mönchengladbach's in the first leg of the 1973 Uefa Cup final where he saved a penalty as we drubbed them 3-0 at home in the first leg. As he said himself he did not realise how important this save was until the away leg came around. In his own words we were down 2-0 before HT in Germany and barely had a sniff of the ball as the Germans passed us off the pitch. We hung on as Borrussia players legs gave up after 60 minutes and ended up winning our first trophy in Europe due to many heroes including Ray who had done his homework on the German penalty taker and went to the side the lad usually hit his penos to. If he had scored we would have lost due to the away goal.

We were more than pleased as we were honoured to have you as our #1 Sir. YNWA
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: November 16, 2020, 10:29:55 pm »
An apt place and pic to make my 35,000th post

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #331 on: November 16, 2020, 10:39:30 pm »
Another one who grew up with him as our keeper, and remember being gutted when he left. Simply the best I've seen .

RIP Ray. LFC legend.

You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #332 on: November 16, 2020, 10:43:50 pm »

Lovely.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #333 on: November 16, 2020, 10:53:14 pm »

Perfect John.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: November 16, 2020, 10:59:29 pm »
RIP Ray.

Offline CentenaryBoy

• Kopite
  • JFT97
« Reply #335 on: November 17, 2020, 12:37:25 am »
Way before my time, so I’ve no memories of him as a player, but you couldn’t watch a VHS tape of our glory years and not be struck by what a good goalkeeper he was. Seems like a genuinely nice guy too. RIP Ray.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #336 on: November 17, 2020, 01:13:48 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/16/ray-clemence-obituary

A brilliant obituary, this bit struck me....

"...he was unassailable in the position, playing 337 games without missing a match from September 1972 until March 1978...."

Astonishing.

Reserves Frankie Lane, Peter McDonnell and Steve Ogrizovic managed 5 games between them in about 11 years, Steve went on to play 500+ games for Coventry in the top flight so he was no slouch.

I know we have lost Emlyn Hughes, Peter Thompson, Ian Ross and Tommy Smith from this era but this one seems more shocking personally somehow, he always seemed so young in spirit
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: November 17, 2020, 02:36:57 am »
I was talking to a pal today about Clem. We were remembering the famous things about him. His agility, his judgement, the graceful way he dived, his courage (in an age where goalies seemed to dive at forwards' feet much more than now), his phenomenal powers of concentration, and his physical strength. But what really set him apart was something neither of us had really noticed at the time and which only becomes obvious when you look back at old film of Clem. That was his speed. Speed off his line, speed getting rid of the ball with a quick throw, speed of foot to get into position to make an efficient dive. It's so modern.

I was on the Kop when Clem came home in '82. That ovation has subsequently become famous and is being replayed a lot today. What we sometimes forget is how tense that match was. We were down 0-1 at half time when Clem made his approach to the Kop goal. We needed to win that match to win the League Title. Clem defending the goal for Spurs was going to make that very difficult indeed. And yet...everyone on the Kop swallowed their anxiety and gave the man a hero's welcome. It's one of the great moments.

I like to think Clem had a tear in his eye still when Kenny slotted the winner past him.

"Europe's, Europe's Number One...." as our song to him used to go. And in a golden age of goalkeepers too. RIP Clem.

Cheers for sharing.  RIP
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: November 17, 2020, 12:35:21 pm »
RIP Ray.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Online Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: November 17, 2020, 12:59:59 pm »
Some nice words from Clive Tyldesley here, and a little video (from Ossie Ardiles I see) to demonstrate where Ray's heart always lay. As if we didn't know.

https://twitter.com/CliveTyldesley?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #340 on: November 17, 2020, 01:00:57 pm »
RIP Ray, a bonafide Liverpool Legend. Far before my time, but at least I was fortunate enough to watch clips of his many magnificent saves.

Not as fortunate, however, as those who saw him in the flash, conquering everything in his path.

YNWA

Online jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #341 on: November 17, 2020, 05:56:56 pm »
What a loss. There's a saying in football "Put your medals on the table." When Clem does it it's one hell of a pile. He even managed to win things with Spurs  :)

I was just a kid when he left. As an eight year old I couldn't work out why he went. The big memory I have of him was him rising out of a crowd and catching the ball with one hand. No idea what game it was but the shear athleticism stuck with me. It was the first thing I thought of when I heard he had died.

'Bye Ray, you were a true great. 

Offline Reds4Wolves2

• Main Stander
« Reply #342 on: November 18, 2020, 04:17:37 am »
September 1972, the match result from my forum name, was the first time I remember watching a football match on TV. Growing up far away from Merseyside, I wouldn’t attend my first match for many years, but five year old me was captivated by the men in Red and the Anfield crowd. It was two players in particular who made the biggest impression on me. Tommy Smith was still captaining that team, Emlyn Hughes was in the line up that day, as were Keegan, Toshack, and Callaghan. But Stevie Heighway on the wing (two assists!) and the man between the sticks were the ones who captivated me and became my two favourite players until King Kenny and John Barnes arrived.

When my little brother got old enough to take an interest in football in the late 70s, we would always play one on one- taking turns in goal. He had chosen the Gunners as his club, so he was always Pat Jennings , and I was always Ray. My brother went on to be a professional golfer, and I was on the junior national team for another sport, but when left to our own devices, it was always football that we chose to play, despite our parents frowning on the idea. Some of the fondest memories of my childhood were those times we spent emulating Ray and Jennings.

Later on in my adolescence, when away at boarding school and away from my parents’ disapproval of the sport, I did play some football. I was a speedy, left footed winger like Heighway until a late growth spurt took me to almost 1.9m, and then I got to emulate Ray as a left footed keeper. I got to play a couple of seasons in a lower division club after uni- I was never fit to hold Ray’s jock, but for someone who only took up the sport at 13, and who never trained full time, I feel like I did OK, and it was because of the inspiration I took from Ray.

Only met him once, on a visit to a match at Anfield many years ago, and I think I was too awestruck to utter a coherent sentence. The photo I had of myself with Ray from that day was one of the prized possessions I missed the most when the vindictive Ex disposed of most of my items of sentimental value in a fit of spite.

So hard to lose our childhood heroes, even more so when you grow up and find out they’re one of the few who were actually worth idolizing because they were good men off the pitch.

R.I.P. Ray. YNWA. Thanks for all the wonderful memories.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: November 18, 2020, 06:18:25 am »
^ great post, Thanks for sharing

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: November 18, 2020, 08:50:55 am »
^ great post, Thanks for sharing

Yes, it’s a good ‘un is that. Did well to pick the two best goalies of the era too. Both made goalkeeping beautiful, which is tricky since keeping the ball out of the net is often an ugly business. Clem had the edge over Pat though because he made fewer errors. (Shilton by the way is not even in this conversation, despite being a perfectly good goalie).
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: November 18, 2020, 01:01:21 pm »
Matchday programme for Leicester.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: November 18, 2020, 05:17:49 pm »
Class.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: November 18, 2020, 07:18:30 pm »
England's tribute tonight.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: November 19, 2020, 12:02:05 am »
^ nice gesture from Pickford and the England keepers. I'm sure his loved ones will cherish the way Clem has been remembered. The Programme for Saturday is great. Those old goalie jumpers  ;D

Offline Rick13

• Main Stander
« Reply #349 on: November 19, 2020, 12:43:59 pm »

So hard to lose our childhood heroes, even more so when you grow up and find out they’re one of the few who were actually worth idolizing because they were good men off the pitch.

R.I.P. Ray. YNWA. Thanks for all the wonderful memories.

Thanks and well said, Reds4Wolves2; Ray was more than just a great goalkeeper.
"We believe there's never a cause that's lost" Bill Shankly

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #350 on: November 19, 2020, 01:17:03 pm »
^ nice gesture from Pickford and the England keepers. I'm sure his loved ones will cherish the way Clem has been remembered. The Programme for Saturday is great. Those old goalie jumpers  ;D

I was thinking exactly the same about the jumper. And goalies always wore caps on sunny days.

And they had simple fabric gloves not the great big plastic things used today.

One of the greats gone.

Offline Stan.

• drinks warm piss, and come back to him when Owen actually joins utd. Until then leeeeeave Micky aloooone!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: November 19, 2020, 01:40:07 pm »
Before my time but always seemed strangely underrated for someone who is literally one of the game’s greats. His record speaks for itself and by all accounts he was a thoroughly lovely bloke too. RIP Ray.
Someday soon everyone will know the truth.  96 never forgotten.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #352 on: November 19, 2020, 03:10:23 pm »
yeh nice touch that before the England game - very moving

looking at that photo of him on the programme with the whole world in front of him just makes you realise how fast life goes and you need to make the most of every fucking second

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: November 20, 2020, 02:43:33 pm »
Sad news,I knew he'd been ill for some time but I'm somewhat shocked to hear he's passed...
RIP Ray
YNWA

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: November 20, 2020, 04:15:07 pm »
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/416623-alisson-becker-to-pay-special-tribute-to-ray-clemence?

Alisson Becker will pay a special tribute to Ray Clemence before Liverpool's Premier League meeting with Leicester City on Sunday evening.

As a mark of respect to the legendary Reds goalkeeper, who passed away at the age of 72 last weekend, Alisson will warm up in a replica Clemence jersey at Anfield.

The shirt is an exact replica of the one on show in the club's museum, which was donated by Clemence from the 1981 European Cup final, in which he kept a clean sheet as Real Madrid were defeated 1-0 in Paris.

The jersey has kindly been donated by LFC's museum curator, Stephen Done, from his personal collection.

After the game, it will be signed by the players and auctioned by LFC Foundation - with all funds being donated to Prostate Cancer UK.

Clemence made a remarkable 665 appearances for the Reds and helped the team to three European Cups and five league titles among a haul of major honours.

There will also be a minute's applause in memory of Clemence ahead of kick-off against Leicester, and the official matchday programme is dedicated to Liverpool's former No.1.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: November 20, 2020, 05:35:58 pm »
I hope they put the sticking plaster on it.

Offline Reds4Wolves2

• Main Stander
« Reply #356 on: November 20, 2020, 10:11:12 pm »
Oh man. I recalibrated my life a lot after some major turmoil a decade ago, endeavouring to worry less about possessions, and I have completely stopped acquiring items of sentimental value/collectables ever since the aforementioned spiteful disposal of all such items I’d accumulated over 40 years by my Ex, but I would be seriously tempted to bid whatever it takes to get that jersey and put it on the study wall with a copy of the Leicester matchday programme cover. But then I’d feel guilty being so self-indulgent at a time when so many people are suffering because of our venal politicians’ handling of this pandemic. But the proceeds are going to a good cause. But it’s just a replica jersey with some signatures scribbled on it. But it’s A REPLICA OF THE JERSEY HE WORE IN THE ‘81 EUROPEAN CUP FINAL! *sigh* (Thus commences the mind tennis that will continue until the auction concludes.)

I hope the memory of Clem inspires the squad to rise to the occasion against the Foxes despite the injury crisis. Let’s keep the home unbeaten streak going.

P.S. Yorky: If it were to come into my possession, you can be sure I’d put the sticking plaster on it before framing if they don’t do it!

P.P.S. Later on in our adolescence, my brother and I would recreate those one on one battles, but as Bruce and Seaman. Somehow it wasn’t the same as when we channeled Clemence and Jennings.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: November 21, 2020, 02:58:13 am »

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #358 on: November 21, 2020, 01:06:40 pm »
Great words from a great man about a great goalkeeper.

This is what Shankly said about Clemence.

“He was the best goalkeeeper in the world. There’s not any doubt about that”.

Does anyone need to say any more?
#JFT97

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #359 on: November 22, 2020, 12:06:08 am »
I have just thought a little more and you know I cannot remember Ray making any mistakes, I am sure he did but he felt so solid. I remember Bruce's and other's from that era but not Ray. That was why it felt a little strange when he went to Spurs, he was 33 but it never felt like he was finished and it was a fitting end to keep a clean sheet in a EC final against Real Madrid. It does not get much better than that for a keeper.
aarf, aarf, aarf.