Author Topic: Hundreds of ducks being murdered in Sefton Park..  (Read 17356 times)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Hundreds of ducks being murdered in Sefton Park..
« on: October 13, 2005, 12:58:39 pm »
THE future of hundreds of trees in Liverpool's Sefton Park is expected to be sealed soon when a multi-million pound restoration plan is unveiled. Park users fear that up to 500 mature trees and seedlings could be at threat as part of a project to restore the park to its Victorian splendour. A team of experts drawing up ambitious plans, backed by Lottery funding, admit that a number of trees will have to come down, but say the final number has yet to be decided.

The trees at risk are decayed or dying, pose a health and safety hazard, or are not part of the original park landscape. A number in front of the Rath-bone monument are earmarked for the axe because they prevent the statue of the famous city benefactor from being seen from the Aigburth Vale end of the lake, as originally envisaged.

A walk-through was held yesterday to enable the team charged with drawing up the plans to hear the views of local organisations and park supporters. Next month, a public consultation exercise is likely to be held to give the general public a first glimpse of what will happen as part of the £6.5m restoration initiative. The plans will then be submitted to the National Lottery Heritage Fund for final approval, with work likely to start next year.

The threat to many healthy trees has concerned green-issues activist Lou McVey. She said: "I was brought up in the Scotland Road area and as children we came to Sefton Park to enjoy the spring blossoms every year and to enjoy the open air. It was a great experience for us to be brought here. Now I live closer to the park but I have no back garden and look upon the park as my own back yard. I accept that some of the trees will need to be cut down, but I want to make sure that as many healthy specimens as possible survive. Some have been standing for 50 years and deserve to survive.
I was shown a report which indicates that as many as 500 trees could be taken down. That seems a high number, but following representations by people like me it appears that a compromise may be on the horizon and some trees will be left to live out their natural lives. Until we see the precise numbers, we must remain alert to what is happening."

The council's parks development officer, Nigel Sharp, said: "We have been looking at three aspects of the park, its natural environment, access and security as well as events. There has not been a management plan for the park which has meant that no controlled maintenance has been able to take place. "We will be compiling a plan for the park looking at things such as a new kiosk and café and learning centre close to the lake, restoring the Peter Pan and Eros statues. The original water courses and features, such as the waterfalls, will also be restored. "Our hope is that the majority of the work will be finished by 2008 in our Capital of Culture year.When people talk of hundreds of trees coming down, it is scare-mongering.Some trees will go, but there will also be new tree planting schemes.We lost 750 trees to Dutch Elm disease some years ago and we have seen trees planted that were not part of the layout 130 years ago when the original designs were drawn."

The city's tree expert Giles Nance, team manager in the parks and environment directorate, said: "We are very conscious of the views of local people and will be as responsive as we can. The number of trees that do have to come down will be a very small number compared to the overall number. A lot of trees have self-seeded and in a normal management situation many of those would have been taken out."

It is likely that, when the final draft plans are unveiled, the number of trees under threat will be under 1% of the total number. The Lottery cash will mean that as many of the original features of the park as possible will be restored. 

« Last Edit: March 6, 2008, 01:21:41 pm by Ben S »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Hundreds of trees to be felled in Sefton Park.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 12:59:43 pm »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 01:04:37 pm »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Helly

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 03:01:17 pm »
Im sure the natural beauty of the park is the most important thing to the planners.  They wont destroy that.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 03:34:33 pm »
Im sure the natural beauty of the park is the most important thing to the planners.  They wont destroy that.

Hey a response and a lovely one to. I aint sure in this day and age though Helly they seem hell bent to destroy beauty beacause they have a few bob to spend!

They say that they will keep that in mind but they have to execute the thought aswell.

The reason I feel a tad passionate about this one is I spent a lot of my childhood there and  live right on the park now, ( just to the right of the red star ) and spend most of my time in the park.

Only time will tell I guess!

They also plan to build a fence around the park to which is fuckin' baffling if you ask me.

Nice one Helly!   :wave

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 05:06:51 pm »
Park doesn't need much doing to it really, lake could do with cleaning but thats about it.

A fence is a daft idea, whats the point of that?

Theres other parks the monney would be better spend on than Sefton which is in fairly decent nick.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 05:09:39 pm »
Park could do with some proper lighting for night to lessen the security issues.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 09:29:07 pm »
If onlt they were building a stadium on it.

I wouldn't mind then.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 01:03:09 pm »
Park could do with some proper lighting for night to lessen the security issues.

At least the muggers could see you better eh!       ;D   

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline NZ_Red

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 07:37:03 pm »
Does need a bit of work doing to but cutting down that many trees may be a bit excessive.  Would be nice to see waterways cleaned up, restored etc.  Really like what was done down by old bridge thats closed off to traffic by queens drive.  Live local as well so spend a bit of time in the park, not at night though!!

Offline quincyg

• Ultra-lounge lizard and musak lover. The naffer the better.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • can show me Down Under anytime!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 09:09:32 pm »
From that aerial pic it doesn't look like theres that many trees anyway. I used to go the Sevvy Park as a kid. Living up in Bootle now I'd don't always have the time to get over that way, even though I can get the 61 there. Must make the effort to go and have a look at restored Palm House though.
"There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

"I'm takin' this bloody car.....All the way to Invercargill!!!"

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 10:22:45 pm »
I wonder if at any point they'll restore the boat in the lake......

There again, it will probably get torpedoed and sink in flames again, by the local wildlife (and I'm not talking fauna !)

Offline quincyg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 10:49:02 pm »
I wonder if at any point they'll restore the boat in the lake......

There again, it will probably get torpedoed and sink in flames again, by the local wildlife (and I'm not talking fauna !)
I know, the local yobbery knackered the Peter Pan statue too
"There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 11:27:38 pm »
I know, the local yobbery knackered the Peter Pan statue too
I remender seeing(and sitting on) that statue when I was a kid. Even then in the 70s it had saw marks on it where someone had hacked off some of the small animals.

Anybody know where the statue is now stored or on display?
(Liverpool museum...Conservation center ?)

On a similar topic. Anybody know where the Eros statue that was in Princess park is now.
For those of you down south, There are two identical Eros statues, one in Piccadilly circus and (well there used to be) one in Liverpools Princess park.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 11:31:50 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline quincyg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 11:47:59 pm »
Both on display in the Conservation Centre. .

Think they're still there. haven't been in for a while

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 12:10:15 am »
Cheers quincyg.

If I remember rightly,the Peter Pan statue was removed for it's own safety, due to vandalism. Where as I think the Eros one was removed due to it's condition.....apparently 100 years or so of traffic fumes etc. was eating it away through corrosion. I could be wrong though.

Offline quincyg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 12:13:15 am »
Cheers quincyg.

If I remember rightly,the Peter Pan statue was removed for it's own safety, due to vandalism. Where as I think the Eros one was removed due to it's condition.....apparently 100 years or so of traffic fumes etc. was eating it away through corrosion. I could be wrong though.
yep think you're right there. shame they can't go back to where they can be appreciated by more people.
The Nelson memorial in Exchange Flags is due to be revealed next week in time for Trafalgar Day. Be interesting to see how that looks after all the restoration work

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 07:47:25 pm »
Cheers for posting that Kesey.  We used to go to Sefton Park as often as we could when we were kids and spend the day there.  We still go whenever we can.  All power to you and the other campaigners for getting involved.  Please would you be kind enojugh to post your progress from time to time?  I'd be grateful if you would.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline The Albert Cock

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 03:40:33 pm »
I grew up at the other end of Queens Drive but I know my dad and his brothers used to spend a lot of time there when they were kids, its a fantastic place, a great area, hopefully anything they do will only add to its appeal.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2005, 03:41:58 pm »
Some trees are getting felled now. Infact 5 got it last week and this before the so called go ahead. Ive had a word with the workies and they just reply they're sick so its for the best!

Ive also noticed the trees next to St Lukes (the bombed out church in town) have been tampered with to.

Fuckin' disgrace and the City Council need a good fuckin' slap the corporate whores!

Capital of Culture my fuckin' arse!

The divvies are running amok..............!

Rant over!

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2005, 04:01:06 pm »
No rant Kesey, but to the point as always.   Yes, trees should be felled if they're diseased, but for no other reason in my book.  What is on the development plan with regard to them?

And the trees by St Lukes must surely have a Tree Preservation Order on them so they can't be touched (unless they become a danger), so is this just lopping and topping to keep them in good nick?

Yes the divvies will run amok.  But with you and the likes of you on their tail I don't think they'll run far.  ;D

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005, 04:13:32 pm »
I hope they get the boat back from the outside the poilice station and put it back there, also hope they decide to give superbananallama a permanent home there too.

Very happy memories there,. place now looks like a sh*t hole compared to the 70's and early 80's. Oh, and thats a big yes to bringing back boats to the lake!

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2005, 04:19:49 pm »
No rant Kesey, but to the point as always.   Yes, trees should be felled if they're diseased, but for no other reason in my book.  What is on the development plan with regard to them?

And the trees by St Lukes must surely have a Tree Preservation Order on them so they can't be touched (unless they become a danger), so is this just lopping and topping to keep them in good nick?

Yes the divvies will run amok.  But with you and the likes of you on their tail I don't think they'll run far.  ;D

Hey sister.....  :wave

The trees by St Lukes have been trimmed down to the point where they look like two clenched fists!

The cherry blossom trees ( a famous tourist attraction ) are the next to go in Sevvie Park. I remember something similar in Princess Park years ago when people decided to live in the trees to protect them. It went to court and the trees were saved a moral victory for all.

But before you could say gentrified over priced luxury apartments the bulldozers had their wicked way!    :-\

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline quincyg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2005, 04:25:37 pm »
Some trees are getting felled now. Infact 5 got it last week and this before the so called go ahead. Ive had a word with the workies and they just reply they're sick so its for the best!

Ive also noticed the trees next to St Lukes (the bombed out church in town) have been tampered with to.

Fuckin' disgrace and the City Council need a good fuckin' slap the corporate whores!

Capital of Culture my fuckin' arse!

The divvies are running amok..............!

Rant over!
the road is being altered there and as far as I know new trees going in a different place.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2005, 04:58:31 pm »
The trees by St Lukes have been trimmed down to the point where they look like two clenched fists!

Hey sister to you.  :wave

Yeah.  It seems like they've been lopped and topped or "polled".  Looks awful I agree, but they will grow back all the stronger, so don't worry.

And I'm gutted about the cherry blossoms.  That's terrible.  Where does it say they can do this in the plan?  Jesus.  Friggin vandals.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2005, 07:55:47 pm »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2005, 03:23:47 pm »
First they came for the trees but I didnt do anything as Iam not a tree          ;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2005, 03:38:19 pm »
First they came for the trees but I didnt do anything as Iam not a tree          ;D

:D

What's the latest on this, Kesey? Not seen anything dropped through doors or owt round my way, and they usually do something like that whenever they're changing the park/getting planning permission/closing roads/chief housing officer's going to fart...

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2005, 03:38:49 pm »

Yeah.   And I know how the rest goes.

If it makes any odds, Kesey, you're not the only soft bastard to cry for the loss of a tree, my sister.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2005, 02:18:50 pm »
:D

What's the latest on this, Kesey? Not seen anything dropped through doors or owt round my way, and they usually do something like that whenever they're changing the park/getting planning permission/closing roads/chief housing officer's going to fart...

There was a meeting last week in the Ole Bizzy Station on The Lane. The Cherry Trees have been saved that go towards the lake from the cafe. They plan to chop down all the trees that line the boulavard from the obelisk to the cafe, The reason for all the trees felling is that they want the park exactly like it was when it was first built in Victorian times. My argument is a park is not like a piece of canvass that you cant wipe clean every time your bored with you art work. Let the treees grow man! I understand that some trees will be diseased and some trees that have self seeded shouldnt be where they are and can be hazardous. Also some trees have grew to near to the streams and are draining the streams of water (greedy bastards  ;D  )! But when you get a grant it's just aint on to go into a tree chopping frenzy!

Thanks for the interest Blurred mate and do you still bevvie in The Albert?           :hally

And Maggie May what the are you on about girl..............................?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2005, 02:20:41 pm »
Only really used to bevvie over there as my mate lived off Aigburth Road, so it was a convenient half-way point for us to meet. Occasionally go for a nosh/bevvie in Marantos but not been for a while.

Seems a shame to lose that many trees, to be honest - won't be the same in the summer walking round there...

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2005, 02:27:55 pm »
Only really used to bevvie over there as my mate lived off Aigburth Road, so it was a convenient half-way point for us to meet. Occasionally go for a nosh/bevvie in Marantos but not been for a while.

Seems a shame to lose that many trees, to be honest - won't be the same in the summer walking round there...

The fella whos the chairman and the go between us and the council is a tree lovin' hippy so there's hope yet.

The Albert is goin down the nick at he mo Blurred anyhow as there's to many kiddas these days . But nothing a swift kick in the bollocks wouldn't sort out........                ;D             The Willow bank is a much nicer alternative!                

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2005, 03:37:37 pm »
Well.   Thank goodness the cherry trees have been spared.   But all other things apart (which you've mentioned and are fair enough), I think the concept taken to restore to Victorian blah blah is absurd.  Nature evolves, as you say, and that should be recognised and appreciated.   I wonder if they realise that's as absurd as taking a bulldozer to it.

And Maggie May what the are you on about girl..............................?

Well.   Before we moved in here (20 years ago) the next door neighbour had planted a laburnam.   A lovely thing.  She had died and the house passed on thorough two different people.   The last lot decided to cut it down on the grounds that it wasn't really of practical use.   So they did.   And when they did I cried for its loss and its beauty.   And I'm not at all ashamed at crying for that.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2005, 01:50:46 pm »

Well.   Before we moved in here (20 years ago) the next door neighbour had planted a laburnam.   A lovely thing.  She had died and the house passed on thorough two different people.   The last lot decided to cut it down on the grounds that it wasn't really of practical use.   So they did.   And when they did I cried for its loss and its beauty.   And I'm not at all ashamed at crying for that.

Is right Maggsie May!

The trees are us and we are the trees All is one and one is all. Iam you and you are me and were all droplets of the same in the vast ocean of consciousness!

;)

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 8, 2005, 01:38:13 pm »
Here's the latest!    Please click on Image..........!
« Last Edit: December 8, 2005, 01:40:25 pm by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline weneedabiggaboat

• Main Stander
  • ...the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.......
« Reply #35 on: December 8, 2005, 02:02:59 pm »
great place, grew up in toxteth, parents still live there, went to sefton park every weekend with my dad, up to a couple of years ago i still drove there to jog around the outside!!

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 8, 2005, 02:27:42 pm »
great place, grew up in toxteth, parents still live there, went to sefton park every weekend with my dad, up to a couple of years ago i still drove there to jog around the outside!!

Bloody hell you must be fit.......     ;D

Its a shame what threy're trying to do to the park( and not just Sefton ).  If not just for the health benefits of trees then they should be saved!

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 9, 2005, 10:53:27 am »
Did you go to the viewing Kesey?   Hopefully the campaign to put a stop to this nonsense is gaining more and more support. 

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #38 on: December 9, 2005, 11:16:34 am »
nice to see that Banksy's "rat" has somehow managed to find it's way onto that flyer. The little buggers get everywhere.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 9, 2005, 03:28:33 pm »
Did you go to the viewing Kesey?   Hopefully the campaign to put a stop to this nonsense is gaining more and more support. 

I went last night to the '08 place' in town and it was a bloody joke. They have the new proposals squashed in a corner with really bad lighting which makes viewing a tad difficult.

Made me laugh when the whole floor was full of 08 merchandise. Oh I nearly forgot money makes the world go round.................................

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi