Author Topic: General Running Thread  (Read 799126 times)

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Running Thread
« Reply #14560 on: August 22, 2016, 11:31:58 am »
Are you not part of the RAWK running club on Strava?

You should be second to Mr Boat if so...

Nope! I have an acct but I've yet to really play around with Strava.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #14561 on: August 22, 2016, 04:43:08 pm »
Well...
I've never really run before...

I mean never ever...

But a few weeks ago I started the couch to 5K challenge using the BBC app to help.

So... I've just completed week five.  Week five session three being a big one.  Suddenly you jump from 8 minutes running followed by a rest and repeat to 20 minutes solid running.

Looking on line, this seems to be something of a killer session.  The one that stops people in their tracks.

But I did it first time ;D

Now, I was very slow, but I was running (just!), but I figured it was better to keep running and finish it than to stop.

Hurrah for me!  4 weeks left, I need to run for half an hour by week 9 in order to complete the 5k.  If I can do today's run, then I can't see any reason why I can't do that too.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14562 on: August 22, 2016, 04:46:39 pm »
Hurrah for me!  4 weeks left, I need to run for half an hour by week 9 in order to complete the 5k.  If I can do today's run, then I can't see any reason why I can't do that too.

Great stuff! Now you've made the big jump, the next few shorter ones will seem easy, and eventually you'll finish the 5k and not even realise it.

Then the addiction kicks in...

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14563 on: August 22, 2016, 05:31:21 pm »
Great stuff! Now you've made the big jump, the next few shorter ones will seem easy, and eventually you'll finish the 5k and not even realise it.

Then the addiction kicks in...
I can't imagine it will to be honest ;D

I'm playing in a footie match and I need to be fit enough to not utterly disgrace myself!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14564 on: August 22, 2016, 07:17:25 pm »
I can't imagine it will to be honest ;D

I'm playing in a footie match and I need to be fit enough to not utterly disgrace myself!

You'd be surprised.  I started running just over a year ago to lose some weight.  Over 2000 miles later...
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #14565 on: August 22, 2016, 09:39:51 pm »
KK.

Its the best way to start. I began on couch to 5k and its not a lie to say it's changed my life. Ive ran in places Ive wanted to visit. Im able to run 13 miles on an empty stomach very easily. Met a great bunch of people and managed to meet a pretty wonderful girl who makes me smile and laugh more than i thought possible.

Yorkshire three peaks. Not to be taken lightly. Descending the first (pen-y-ghent) I eased off to keep spirits up and try to push the back markers on.

It became apparent that my GF had stopped to wait for me (alone I may add, not one bloke stayed with her) and we were cut off from the main group. We made it home in a shade over 11 hours. Pretty slow and still pretty annoyed they just pushed on.

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #14566 on: August 22, 2016, 09:42:37 pm »
Well...
I've never really run before...

You're definitely going about it the right way. Still remember me and my mate running and walking around the park a little over 2 years ago. Who knows where you will end up. It's a great fitness base to have. Enjoy it and slowly build it into your lifestyle if it suits you would be my advice.
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14567 on: August 22, 2016, 10:28:39 pm »
Nice one, Tepid! Keep the running fun & embrace the process would be my suggestions to anyone.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14568 on: August 22, 2016, 11:04:54 pm »
Anyone think Farah will go after a WR before he retires from the track?   He's already proven he's the best champs racer. 

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14569 on: August 22, 2016, 11:07:08 pm »
KK: nice one, if you can run 20 minutes without stopping you've pretty well cracked it. Couch to 5k is a great way to get started, enjoy it & see where it takes you.

Peabee: Can't see it, don't think he's ever really threatened those times before? One more go at the worlds & bow out in front of a home crowd. Hope he has a good go at the marathon, be interested to see if he can live with the pace in a major city marathon, suspect not but an Olympic marathon is always slower...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:10:49 pm by Old No7 »

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14570 on: August 23, 2016, 08:59:29 am »
Old:  he's only ever been interested in winning champs, but he can go quicker than his PBs, I think. He ran 26:52 during a 120 mile training week this year.  Maybe the WR is a step too far now though.  I read an article last night where he hinted he may have a go, that's why I was asking. 

I think he could be quick in the marathon.  He'll need to taper properly, as that's his weakness.  He hates to taper, apparently.  Doubt he'll compete with Kipchoge.  Who can?

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14571 on: August 23, 2016, 10:05:01 pm »
Think Mo needs a WR to get proper 'legend' status. He's still nowhere near Coe and Ovett in my opinion. Be good to see him have a decent go at a marathon. Shame he can't keep it a bit lower key so we didn't have to put up with the whole 'Mo Show' bollocks that goes with him; I honestly think he'd prefer it that way as well.

KK: welcome to the thread...nice start!
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #14572 on: August 23, 2016, 10:59:15 pm »
Disagree mr. Boat. He has more Olympic golds than them put together.

Also dont think he's a massive tory wool.  :D

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14573 on: August 23, 2016, 11:13:38 pm »
Nah, disagree, he's definitely attained legend status. 

Agree with what Mark said also...

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:17:42 pm by Peabee »

Offline hartless

• will run & run & run...
  • Legacy Fan
General Running Thread
« Reply #14574 on: August 24, 2016, 03:37:21 am »
I'm with Mr Boat. Legend status is Haile. WRs create legend status as they show you're not just the best racer at that time but the best runner over time.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:52:54 am by hartless »

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14575 on: August 24, 2016, 11:48:16 am »
I'm with Mr Boat and hartless. Surely a WR is more valid than the number of medals.

A good example may be that up until this year Lleyton Hewitt and Andy Roddick had more Grand Slams than Andy Murray. Does that mean they were better players and more worthy of that level of status, or that they happened to be at their best in the year or so between Sampras/Agassi and Federer/Nadal?

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14576 on: August 24, 2016, 12:07:03 pm »
I'm with Mr Boat and hartless. Surely a WR is more valid than the number of medals.

Not sure about that, World records get broken, gold medals stay in the history books forever. Mo is the standout track runner of his time, doing the double double (or whatever bollocks they call it) probably seals legend status in my opinion, doing the same in the worlds too (& will probably add to) leaves an era where he is clearly the dominant athlete showing phenomenal consistency. Now me may not have had the strongest competition there has ever been but that's a bit of luck. If he could go on & win a major marathon then in further cements his case.

I don't think Mo will get a world record, the time to have gone for it if he had it in him (I don't think he had) would have been a non championship year such as 2014 (Europeans don't count). I'm with Mr B on the 'Mo show' bollocks, the worst example of that was fixing GNR for him (2014 I think). Can't bare Brendan Foster constantly blowing smoke up his ass either

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14577 on: August 24, 2016, 02:38:52 pm »
Out of interest. How long do folk tend to TRY to knock the ale on the head before a race? And does it have any impact?

(Not talking about not having 6 pints the night before a marathon, more the whole going sober for a week or two before?)

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14578 on: August 24, 2016, 05:03:22 pm »
Circa: I don't stop drinking before races but I don't get bladdered during the taper period. I'll happily have a beer or a glass of wine in the week leading up to the race and I don't think it has any impact on performance.

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14579 on: August 25, 2016, 12:19:05 am »
Circa: I still have a bottle or two most evenings, unless I'm on shift when I still have the odd one before dinner. I won't go mad though, especially in the last 5 or 6 weeks. You'd be better off cutting out chocolate for a month or so before as you'll definitely notice the weight loss.

Another beast of a BAC mara session tonight: 4x15mins starting at MP and getting faster for each set. I managed to get a bit quicker until the last one where I slowed a bit. It was a very humid evening though...happy enough with the session.

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14580 on: August 25, 2016, 05:37:32 am »
Back in Australia for the month and back into the running again. Im so lazy when it comes to just running. The last 6 months in Dubai i havent done a thing as I couldnt track my runs. Back in Oz with roaming I can see all my runs and despite only arriving a week ago Ive already got back into daily 10k runs. Mind you the constant 45 degree heat in Dubai hasnt helped much with the motivation.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14581 on: August 25, 2016, 11:20:31 am »
Circa: If I have a race on I generally try to stay off the booze that week, but I'm not strict about it. Only exception was pre-marathon, then I laid off it for 5 weeks & was very careful about everything I ate, would certainly try & watch it during the taper.

My biggest problem is when anyone brings cake/cookies/chocolate into the office, I can't help myself!

Offline The Highway Man

• Kemlynite
    • Online Exiles
« Reply #14582 on: August 26, 2016, 01:18:37 pm »
I haven't touched alcohol in over 5 years, the last time I was drunk, I said "I do!"
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:21:26 pm by The Highway Man »

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14583 on: August 26, 2016, 03:34:44 pm »
They're having a "steps" challenge next week in work.  I'm planning to start running again this weekend...

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14584 on: August 26, 2016, 07:08:43 pm »
Not mich running from me this week - moving house so been packing all week and then removal guys came today. Shattered now - suspect I'll be spending the weekend sorting things out. Anyway the number of stairs I went up and down the last 2 days counts as strength training I reckon so I'll console my self with that and a beer this eveninig :)

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14585 on: August 27, 2016, 12:57:32 am »
10 miles tonight in 64:49 - yes, that's a PB!   :)

Offline hartless

• Legacy Fan
General Running Thread
« Reply #14586 on: August 27, 2016, 02:48:45 am »
10 miles tonight in 64:49 - yes, that's a PB!   :)

Fantastic.

Good running that pal.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14587 on: August 27, 2016, 08:14:19 am »
Kopenhagen: that's going some on your own in a training run, nice one

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14588 on: August 27, 2016, 09:32:13 am »
Good going, Kopenhagen.   Get on the strava group!

I planned a similar workout last Sunday until I felt a twinge in my hamstring. 

I've been ill all week, so no running, which I guess has helped my hamstring anyway. Feels fine now.  My girlfriend said I looked tired last night, so I looked in the mirror and I looked like shit, so I'm not sure about this 10000 at noon now.   I was looking forward to it too.  :-(

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14589 on: August 27, 2016, 08:17:50 pm »
Laura Muir just ran a great 1500.   There's some promising athletes coming from Scotland. 

Edit:  National record and the 16th fastest all-time.  She should have just gone for it at the Olympics. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 08:23:05 pm by Peabee »

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14590 on: August 27, 2016, 08:51:04 pm »
kopenhagen: Nice 10 in training, especially in this heat.

Been a tough week for me which showed on Friday when I tried to do 10 miles @ MP with a couple of training partners. It was really hot in Poole Park and could feel myself blowing a bit after a mile or so and by 5 miles I was swimming. 1st 5 came out at an acceptlable 6.14min/mi but the second was a big struggle with an ave 6.44min/mi so 6.29min/mi combined. Ideally I was looking at 6.10s. Think it was too close to Wednesday's big session and that I couldn't handle the heat. Both my mates managed to ave between 6.15s and 6.17s so I was dropped big style.

Another big one coming up tomorrow with a good group for 24 hilly ones over the Purbeck Hills....watch this space!

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14591 on: August 28, 2016, 03:01:35 pm »
Nice 24 miler, Mr. B.   

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14592 on: August 28, 2016, 04:50:32 pm »
Farah is running the GNR on the 11th.  Must be a huge appearance fee...

Offline hartless

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14593 on: August 29, 2016, 10:46:31 am »
41.5 miles for me last week. Most running since my daughter was born seven weeks ago.

I had planned on 10-12 miles yesterday but my hips and groin were aching so gave it a miss.

Easy 5 this morning which I progressively wound up. Beautiful setting around Colemere, Shropshire.

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14594 on: August 29, 2016, 12:25:27 pm »
Farah is running the GNR on the 11th.  Must be a huge appearance fee...

I don't get it to be honest. It's one of the most popular and most heavily oversubcribed races in the world. Not sure why it needs to throw money at Farah.

Either way - the event is of not interest to me this year what with their new partnerships. Lots of other good halfs on the same day...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:41:31 pm by Circa1892 »

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14595 on: August 29, 2016, 04:25:34 pm »
Just done my first 25 minute run on couch to 5k

Still going slow, but when I've built up to 30 minutes, I will try and build my speed a bit
W

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #14596 on: August 29, 2016, 05:50:18 pm »

Still going slow, but when I've built up to 30 minutes, I will try and build my speed a bit

Easy at it goes mate. Take it easy and the speed will come..

Concentrate on getting the time on your feet.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14597 on: August 30, 2016, 12:08:45 am »
Seventh week:

Tues.: 13K (57:35)
Weds.: 10K - 6x400m (42:36)
Thurs.: 13K (1:00:00) - felt pretty sluggish after previous night on the track
Fri.: 16K (64:49) - PB! Not sure how I managed as I felt like dogshit before I left; I downed a cup of matcha and headed out anyway. At around the quarter distance mark I noticed I'd shaved 1m30 off my usual time for that marker, and that put it into my head to put into another gear again, haha.  ;D
Sat.: 9K (42:30)
Sun.: 33K (2:43:12) - certainly felt Friday's effort on these last two days.  ;D

Thanks for the congrats, guys. Much appreciated.  :)

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14598 on: August 30, 2016, 08:49:48 am »

I'd wait a while before working on speed.   You'll speed up naturally in the early days just from the aerobic gains.  I basically just jogged for the first 5 or 6 months when I started last year.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14599 on: August 30, 2016, 09:49:41 am »
I'd wait a while before working on speed.   You'll speed up naturally in the early days just from the aerobic gains.  I basically just jogged for the first 5 or 6 months when I started last year.
Oh don't worry, I don't intend to go beyond jogging.

I just want to go from a very slow jog to a slightly less slow jog ;D
W