Author Topic: Garston 1960's  (Read 16567 times)

Offline ewok-red

• Anarchist, potentially violent but lacks bottle.
  • Legacy Fan
Garston 1960's
« on: October 3, 2005, 09:36:48 am »
65/05
Probably my last piece of work before moving on to pastures new.
I am running a project which will look at what it was like being a kid in garston in the yrs 65-69 and a what it is like being a kid in garston now.
the end result will be a website featuring stills, video clips, audio.
I need your help.  If you were a teenager in garston in the sixties
where did you hang out
did you leave school at 15 like many and go to work in the tanneries or the like
what music did you listen to?
did you go to dances like the one in the co-op hall with a DJ?
did you go to banky or nobbys youth clubs
did you play for a footie team
did you see the dolphin show in garston baths
did you see puscas play in the charity match
did you take part in the off the shore rave
do you have photos and stories?

all material will be digitised, and originals and a digital copy will be returned.
we will come to you to carry out the interviews / scanning etc if you wish
If you can help please do - the more 'normal' you story the better.  we are not just looking for high profile stuff, we want ordinary tales of ordinary lives.

WHY?
This is a cross generational pilot project, I manage a charity which works with teenagers in garston.  Like all teenagers this lot think they have invented partying, pill popping, music, all nighters, fashion, image and attitudes to school, home, work and play.  We are working with the garston district community council, come alive at 55, banky and several others to create an vibrant, funny, multi media record of gartson then, and comparing the physical and social environments with garston now.

CONTACT me for more info:
PM
 email steve@interchill.co.uk
or just post some stuff on here to start the ball rolling.

cheers

steve
"the music isn't here to save the world, its there to save your life"  - skip jones, in 'stories we could tell' tony parsons, harper collins / qpd

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
Re: Garston 1960's
« Reply #1 on: October 3, 2005, 11:46:52 am »
Early memories of Garston

First House : Brunswick St (Under the bridge)
Bottom of the road (river end) there used to be an ashtrack that led to Garston Beach and There was yellow sand.
On the left used to be allotments, on the right was the bottle works.
The Bottle works had a wall that seemed to be 50 foot tall, probably only 12 foot.
The quickest way to get to my Nans in Western Avenue Speke was along Garston Beach behind the old airport and up Oglet lane, seems strange now that it didn't take long at all.
My old fella used to work in the bottle works and I can remember looking forward to hearing the old hooter go off for the end of the day Friday.
Friday was sweets day. I used to wait at the top of the ashtrack where there used to be a sweet shop on the corner.
Sweets were mainly cinder toffee and tray toffee which were home made.
The other end of our road was Banks Road which had a school and nursery.
This end was dominated by the match works.
Which was next to a wood yard
which was next to a coal yard
which was next to the gas tank.
Accident waiting to happen if there was ever a fire in the Match.
Between the wood and the coal there used to be a walkway that linked Banks Road to Speke Road.

Opposite the match works was Garston tennies, known less commonly as Speke Road Gardens.
From earliest memories the most common used pub in the area was The Gay Cavalier.
Over the railbridge and on your right used to be the Old Dole Office.
Outside the dole, used to be the old tram turnaround.
It was a massive turn table where the trams came in and a fella used to turn the table so the tram would face the opposite way toward St Mary's road for the return Journey to Aigburth Vale.
From Memory this was where you switched trams to continue to town.
Back in Garston at the turn table
On the right were the old bus sheds.
Then there was Garston wash house
Two public Tiolets and then the baths.

The baths was very popular in the early sixties, mainly because it was the only place where you could get a hot bath, indoor bathrooms were a thing of the future.
Friday evening seemed to be the most popular night to have a bath and for most it was a once a week affair anyway.
After my Dad had done his weekly wash, I was always second in the bath.
I can remember loads of fella's in their early twenties queuing at the Brilcream machine.
One squirt was either 1/2d or 1d
The mirror was the second queue
Sludge in hand, everyone got there combs out and combed in the cream.
Big quiffs and duck's arse backs were the fashion.
everyone still saw themselves as Teddy Boys, but the long jackets and suede shoes were being replaced by winkle pickers drainpipe jeans and a cardigan type jumper.

First port of call on the way home was the Mona at the bottom of St Mary's road or the Queens if you were a left footer.
You could always tell the pubs religious leanings by whether they had nodder machines.
Long off was Durex, the things used then were black rubber jobs that could be washed and re-used.
Back in the Mona R whites pop or Ginger Beer and crisps were my choice of fare.
My Dad always drank Manns or Family Mix (Brown Ale & Mild)
On leaving dad always told me to rememer the queues in the baths were massive if Mum asked.
Next call was Bob's chippy next to the Picture House (now Bingo ? )
We always went to Bob's cos he was some kind of relative and bigger portions were guaranteed.

Then back under the bridge and home,

An Aunty used to look after me, while my mam and dad went to a social Club under the bridge (cannot remember name)

St Mary's road seemed to have a pub on every corner then.
The George was above the Mona, The Mariners used to be opposite, but cannot remember that being the name in the 60's.
The poshest pub in the Village was the Old Garston Hotel, it's where all the Spiv's used to be.
Stood in there Crombie style jackets selling everything that anyone could want
I used to giggle at the little hankies they all had in their pockets trying to look like some form of Gentry.

Garston Hospital used to be the most outstanding building from memory, it was massive.
Oppoisie used to be the Red Lion.
Down the side road you came to an old church that was where the Boxing Club was held. Not for me, but some good scraps could be watched for the more feint hearted.

Question that I always remember
If you stood outside the Mona or Queens, get out of garston without going either Under or over a railway line.
I tried for years , you cant.
Your blocked by St Michael's bridge
The one before the cavalier
Garston to Gatacre line before the Cresent.
Same line blocks off Island road going to town and this line also crosses before you get to garston Library.
Which crossed the old frieght line that goes to the sidings.
Impossible I tell you, even if it isn't now.

Our next move was to Calthorpe Street behind the Library.
memory from here is very vague.
We still had a tin bath
The toilet was in the yard
and my only vivid memory was playing football on Garston Park and going to Victoria school were Mrs Jessie Paisley (Bob's wife) was the headmistress.
Garston Park had a massive fair and a travelling circus.
The only buildings on the park were the wooden hut changing rooms for football and the Old puppet theatre (Green)
There was a shed in the bowling green area too, but never went in there.
Old farts used to chase us for throwing conkers on their pitch.

I might be wrong here, but from memory calthorpe street was the furthest house from a pub I have ever lived in.
Cannot remember one within 1/2 mile.
The Heath might get a shout as the nearest or the Buff's on Island road or even the Garston Hotel at the top of the village.

Next move Condor Close.
Most vivid memories of Condor
First Match at Anfield : West ham
getting a chicken for sunday dinner of the old fella married to Maud.
I carried it home with the feet still twitchin
Arch enemy Gary Hughes, an evertonian from up the top end, we were always viing for the love of Elizabeth Reid.
We lived next door to a copper Bembo from memory.
I dont think he liked me very much, never found out why.
The street was full of kids unlike other houses.
I remember families
Hughes(3), Feast(2), Carrol, a lad called Gozzy a girl called Anna.
Nearest pub The Home Guard and the Pally.

first Girl friends in this house
Street : elizabeth reid, although my heart was for a much older woman Lynn Feast, she must have been 11
School : Julie Evans (first kiss from memory)

Remember having to go and tell my dad his sunday dinner was done, he was usually in The Black Swan with Gerry Flaherty (red) and Brian Carrol (blue)
It was at this time garston had the best water polo team in the county possibly the country.
We were always ver proud of our Water Polo team, they won everything.
Biggest rivals were always Wallasey or Birkenhead, after these games the water was often pink.

We were also proud of South Liverpool FC
I think they were in the northern premier League.
Watson used to be a very ticky right winger.
There was a fella who scored all the goals but I cannot remember his name.
I remember Fleetwood and Morecomb as visitors.
We used to get under the fence behind the only stand in the ground.
Crossing that railway line as a kid now brings shudders to me.

After the games we used to get on the pitch with a ball until the cocky watchmen legged us.
Talking of which...
The cocky watchman at Blessed John used to scare the life out of me as a kid.
We used to break windows in the school so he would leg us around hackstead gardens. he never did catch us, either we were fast or he was slow.

Dancing in the co-op on a saturday night was fun to grown ups but when you consider it was above the Chapel of Rest it held no appeal to me.
I was too young anyway.
there used to be a scout / cub hut behind the Victoria Social Club
I went there but only ever achieved three badges. Who needed a bloddy sewing badge anyway.
Funny, but I remember my Dad and Uncle Henry used to play football for the VSC.
They were both left footers (religion) and the club was the ORANGE Club.

I cant remember whether the flicks shut down somewhere round this time, but I do remember going the Mayfair and Gaumont, which would have been strange if it was still going.
I remember going to the Mickey Mouse club at the Allerton Odeon on saturday mornings around this time. This also makes me wonder about the Garston Empire.
Twopence (2d) to Penny Lane rings a bell

Sorry about the pill popping and partying all night absence, but I cannot remember anyone having a life after 10.30pm in Garston.
Most places were shut at 11 and then they used to go to either our house of one of their friends for a nightcap.
Which always had very vinegary flavoured salmon of tuna and soggy crisps.
Mackeson was a favourite with the girls, Forrest brown was the pint bottle from memory.

Dolphins in garston Baths ?
Lost on me, but we did leave Garston and moved to woolton in about 1965.

Football Team
Garston Villa late sixties.

Puskas
Played a cameo role in the Big Liddell Match.
Yes I was there and have recently been given a copy of programme.

Other memories from garston
The old war siren going off every morning
When we lived in brunswick street my bedroom was at the back.
Every thirty five seconds the old airport light (like a lighthouse light) used to run across my bedroom ceiling.
being legged evrey school hometime by the Blessed John Hoolies.
Having my first drink of beer in the masonic hall at a wedding oppposite the Market.
Was going round drinking everyones dreggs until my Mum took me home.
I remember it was the first time ever the ceiling light went round in circles until I threw up in a bowl my Mum had left.

I have very fond memories of Garston in the sixties, but as it being the capital of rave, discos and pill popping kids
I think you must have it confused with somewhere else.
Unless after I left it all went crazy.
Long haired hippies were a long way off.

Good luck with your project though.

Karl
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 3, 2005, 12:09:48 pm »
It was quite normal to have dolphin shows touring round  the saltwater baths.

I saw em at Guinea Gap baths Wallasey a couple of times early 70s. Bet they did Rock Ferry too though I think those baths were smaller.

Offline ewok-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 3, 2005, 12:22:15 pm »
I have very fond memories of Garston in the sixties, but as it being the capital of rave, discos and pill popping kids
I think you must have it confused with somewhere else.
Unless after I left it all went crazy.
Long haired hippies were a long way off.

Good luck with your project though.

Karl

Thats fantatsic mate, thank you very much, i wasnt trying to say it wascentre of anything, more just  to get an angle on what it was like ( though i have managed to get a few 'purple hearts' stories.. but i don't get a sense that there was a lot of it around.  great story from someone at banky about all these hard lads sudenly turning up in afgans and saying peace!

Garston baths wasn't salt water was it?
"the music isn't here to save the world, its there to save your life"  - skip jones, in 'stories we could tell' tony parsons, harper collins / qpd

Offline ewok-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 3, 2005, 12:25:46 pm »
Early memories of Garston

An Aunty used to look after me, while my mam and dad went to a social Club under the bridge (cannot remember name)

woodcutters? rms?

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 3, 2005, 12:28:44 pm »
Garston baths wasn't salt water was it?

Christ No
the bleech used to rip yer eyes out
Thats why I questioned the Dolphin show

I seem to remember a big pool on Garston park with Dolphins at a fair or circus, but my memory is dodgy at best
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 3, 2005, 12:30:45 pm »
woodcutters? rms?

Woodcutters rings all the bells

another place to Dance was were my Mam worked sewing ?
was it the Bobbin ? was that window lane ?

christ this is hard it is 40 years ago

Offline ewok-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 3, 2005, 12:31:56 pm »
the dolphin thing was 68 / 69 i am told, it seems bloody amazing that they would put dolphins in a public baths - maybe i am being had off, but quite a few people have mentioned it. the dolphin trainer was a man called mcmath I am informed

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 3, 2005, 12:38:27 pm »
the dolphin thing was 68 / 69 i am told, it seems bloody amazing that they would put dolphins in a public baths - maybe i am being had off, but quite a few people have mentioned it. the dolphin trainer was a man called mcmath I am informed

Maybe they put saltwater in ? Like I say it was common across the water in the unchlorinated saltwater pools.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2005, 12:41:04 pm by nige »

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 3, 2005, 12:42:11 pm »

Aye, and the dolphin used to count, that sounds like something from a fair.

Ask yerself this if you know the lay out of Garston Baths
How did they get the dolphin in the place ?
Did it walk though the front door ?
Where did they get al the sea water from ? all the local stuff ie under the bridge was shit brown, you wouldn't have seen anything swimming in it ?

I remain sceptical, I think too many people are remembering flipper episodes

Offline ewok-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 3, 2005, 12:51:42 pm »
Aye, and the dolphin used to count, that sounds like something from a fair.

Ask yerself this if you know the lay out of Garston Baths
How did they get the dolphin in the place ?
Did it walk though the front door ?
Where did they get al the sea water from ? all the local stuff ie under the bridge was shit brown, you wouldn't have seen anything swimming in it ?

I remain sceptical, I think too many people are remembering flipper episodes

Yes i must admit i felt the same, but i think we may be proved wrong

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 3, 2005, 12:59:59 pm »
Yes i must admit i felt the same, but i think we may be proved wrong

probably

just wait til someone says I remember a talking horse

they're right he was called Mr Ed

There used to be an old tram horse that was called lightning by the kids
he used to clap his hoof on the cobbles and could count to 10.

Offline Brimag

• Main Stander
  • He made the people happy
« Reply #12 on: October 3, 2005, 11:43:41 pm »
Spoke to my brother about this yesterday, he can’t remember any dolphins at Garston baths, doesn’t mean there weren’t like but just that he can’t remember them. When he gets time, always away in the wagons at the moment, he is going to let me know any little anecdotes of the place.

Thanks for sharing those memories Karl. Can now remember the old dole office just over the bridge, must have been there with my dad when he was out of work. Its amazing how something can come back to you with a little help.
Did the dole office move up to St Mary's road, seem to remember going there later on with my brother, must have been in the 70s that though.

Also remember going in a lot of those pubs in Garston with my brother when I was just a kid. Not sure now but remember him telling me about how someone was thrown through the main window of the mariners, I think it was. Just like in one of the episodes from boys from the blackstuff. Alls I can remember was they were some rough places to go for a drink. His main drinking hole was the king’s under the bridge.
A Liverbird upon my chest
We are the men, of Shankly's best
A team that plays the Liverpool way
And wins the championship in May

Offline ewok-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 09:34:56 am »
Woodcutters rings all the bells

another place to Dance was were my Mam worked sewing ?
was it the Bobbin ? was that window lane ?

christ this is hard it is 40 years ago

The bobbin Works was a huge employer but i am not sure of when.  I will check this out.  there were loads of clubs/ workingmens clubs. the blue union and the white union clubs etc.  did the interview of  friday with a guy who spent a week on trial at man Utd in 1967 - fantastic stuff

Offline [delete]

• Grafton Irregular
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 01:02:42 am »
ewokred:  Do you take the kids to Alton Towers and on Adventure weeks and that?  Couple of lad's sons I know go to something in Garston like that.

Offline ewok-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 08:44:38 am »
ewokred:  Do you take the kids to Alton Towers and on Adventure weeks and that?  Couple of lad's sons I know go to something in Garston like that.

Sometimes, though the bulk of our service is offering a drop in centre in the evenings, its a bit like a youth club but instead of the traditional youth club activities we have a state of the art ict /internet suite and a 'social space' (tv video etc), and advice information and counselling.  but we do have an activity programme and work with other youth agencies to make sure there is a range of services / opportunities for young people.  we also make the kids do a lot, volunteering, admin, meeting funders doing presentations, daily cleaning duties - so that they learn to take responsibility.  more about our place here - www.interchill.co.uk

sadly last night i was busy clearing out bikes, transporters, cars and tools from another speke garston youth project which has closed down - steering wheels - a motor project,  the baliffs are coming to take the building over today, as their landlord, (nwda) will no longer 'tolerate / subsidise them on the industrial estate where they are now it is all shiny and starting to atttract punters, it was ok when it was a shit hole but not now.

Offline ewok-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 09:13:43 am »
yesterday i held in my hand some football history. the telegram from puskas saying he was coming to play at Holly park!

Offline quincyg

• Ultra-lounge lizard and musak lover. The naffer the better.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • can show me Down Under anytime!
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2005, 09:24:09 pm »
Spoke to my brother about this yesterday, he can’t remember any dolphins at Garston baths, doesn’t mean there weren’t like but just that he can’t remember them. When he gets time, always away in the wagons at the moment, he is going to let me know any little anecdotes of the place.

Thanks for sharing those memories Karl. Can now remember the old dole office just over the bridge, must have been there with my dad when he was out of work. Its amazing how something can come back to you with a little help.
Did the dole office move up to St Mary's road, seem to remember going there later on with my brother, must have been in the 70s that though.

Also remember going in a lot of those pubs in Garston with my brother when I was just a kid. Not sure now but remember him telling me about how someone was thrown through the main window of the mariners, I think it was. Just like in one of the episodes from boys from the blackstuff. Alls I can remember was they were some rough places to go for a drink. His main drinking hole was the king’s under the bridge.

my best mate used to live over East Prescot Road baths, her dad was baths superintendant, and I'm sure she told me once the'd had dolphins there briefly.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 05:55:13 pm by quincyg »
"There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

"I'm takin' this bloody car.....All the way to Invercargill!!!"

Offline ewok-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2005, 09:51:24 am »
my best mate used to live over East Prescott Road baths, her dad was baths superintendant, and I'm sure she told me once the'd had dolphins there briefly.

could you find out?????

Offline quincyg

• Ultra-lounge lizard and musak lover. The naffer the better.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • can show me Down Under anytime!
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2005, 05:53:12 pm »
asked her and there were deffo dolphins at East Prescot Road baths  1972/3. She can't remember exact year.
She and her brother were upstairs in the flat and her dad asked them to come down to see summat interesting in the pool.
"There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

"I'm takin' this bloody car.....All the way to Invercargill!!!"

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 5, 2006, 02:13:48 pm »
im new to the forum and just got onto this,grew up in meredith st. by the tennies in the 70s.dont know about dolphins at garston baths but me dad told me they were known as garston blood baths in the 50s.they used to board over the pool and have dances there and every week there would be murder,early memories are of the fair next to lennons,gully's record shop in the village,and going over to the airport when the reds came back from europe for autographs.garston carnival was the big one for the kids,all on floats and all the alehouses would empty to watch as you went down st.marys road.also on a sunday big games of footy in the tennies between the older lads, some of the tackling and injuries were frightening
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Stanfo

• Sleeping with the Enemy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 6, 2006, 01:11:14 pm »
Grew up in Highbank Drive from 1964. I recall the dolphins in the big pool in the late 60's, I remember being on the balcony watching.

Offline superste21

• Legacy Fan
  • The beautiful game!
« Reply #22 on: July 6, 2006, 08:03:24 pm »
I remember going to Garston baths with the school in the 80's. They fucking stank of piss.
Traore gives me the shits!

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 11:21:10 am »
does anyone have any info on the MOTHAKS plane crash in 1965?my brother was talling me about it as he was on the front of the echo the next day watching the recovery effort.also any info about the benfica goalie from the 60s called costa pereira playing at south liverpool in a testemonial,any info would be appreciated.

Offline melia

• Kemlynite
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2006, 02:37:48 am »
asked her and there were deffo dolphins at East Prescot Road baths  1972/3. She can't remember exact year.
She and her brother were upstairs in the flat and her dad asked them to come down to see summat interesting in the pool.
Dovecot baths definitely had performing dolphins in the early seventies. I didn't get to see them but I remember them being there.

Offline ewok-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 11:43:57 am »
does anyone have any info on the MOTHAKS plane crash in 1965?my brother was talling me about it as he was on the front of the echo the next day watching the recovery effort.also any info about the benfica goalie from the 60s called costa pereira playing at south liverpool in a testemonial,any info would be appreciated.

was that the plane that landed on the factory?
As part of our garston in the 60's / garston now project we interviewed a woman who spoke about such an incident - i might have a scan of the cutting.

Offline ewok-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 11:45:42 am »
I don't know how readable these are but I think this is the plane crash you mean

Offline ewok-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 11:57:52 am »
Re benfica;

As you can see from these couple of cutting Puskas came to play...:-)

The following year Brian went off to get Di Stephano......on the plane as he had for Puskas...knocking on the fella's door saying "i need you to come and play a charity match in garston".  Sadly DS could not make it so he took brian to  stadium to try and get someone else to go back with brian, no joy at the stadium so off they went to the training ground, where they cajoaled the second string goalie to hop on the plane.

the press at this end were not very impressed - given that Brian had primed them all up to expect DS... :-)

Offline ewok-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 12:02:38 pm »
here is the telegram from Puskas.

If you go to

http://www.interchillbroadband.co.uk/flash_files/Interchill%20Broadband.html

Click on '65/05' , then click on 'click here to access the 65/05exhibition'

and follow the link for 'sport' you can see awhole host of press cutting etc about the match

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 02:27:22 pm »
I don't know how readable these are but I think this is the plane crash you mean
thats the one ewok red thanks for that info,i'll pass it on

Offline ewok-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2006, 04:51:46 pm »
thats the one ewok red thanks for that info,i'll pass it on

scan is from garston news (a bi monthly produced by garston district community council) PM if you need to pursue it any further

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2006, 09:55:30 pm »
I worked as an apprentice at the back of the airport 1960 and was sent to the chippie in garston every lunch time to get the lads dinners, I remember the bobbin works, the bottle works and the match works.....every christmas eve the boss would take us to a pub in garston, can't remember the name, anyway only posting to wish you all the best with your project
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline ewok-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2006, 09:01:59 am »
I worked as an apprentice at the back of the airport 1960 and was sent to the chippie in garston every lunch time to get the lads dinners, I remember the bobbin works, the bottle works and the match works.....every christmas eve the boss would take us to a pub in garston, can't remember the name, anyway only posting to wish you all the best with your project

loads of photos, cutting and people talking about garston in the sixties - www.interchillbroadband.co.uk