Author Topic: Jose Reina? (today's .tv interview added)  (Read 20851 times)

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
Re: Jose Reina?
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2005, 05:22:24 pm »
Looking at the wider picture, it seems likely that Dudek would have been shipped out but for the injury. It also seems likely that Kirkland has no long-term future at Anfield. My own view is that Reina's form thus far is well short of his form last season. I saw a lot of him on Spanish T.V last year and he was outstanding.

And I think he'll improve as he settles in (and he'll need to because Carson is a terrific prospect). But a word of caution: There's a world of difference performing really well on a small stage and then doing it in a hothouse.

Our record as a club, regarding 'keepers fulfilling their potential, is, since Brucie's days, pretty woeful (some on here placed the blame fair and square on big Joe). So I hope Reina's as strong mentally as 'keepers at high-profile clubs need to be. That's the key really.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline ratcatcher

• Glass is often half-empty...and it's all Parry's fault
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2005, 06:17:18 pm »
TBF to Reina he's young and still settling in. At the moment he doesnt strike me as an imposing keeper in the way of Clemence or rudolph.

His distribution does seem a bit weak from what I've seen and his 'kicking' style appears very unconventional.

Certain he'll get better as he gets older.
These are my own opinions. They are not meant or intended as a criticism of anyone else's opinion just because they are different but if you can't see past that, then tough shit!

Offline eurochamps05

• Kopite
  • Red Blooded.
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2005, 06:40:46 pm »
We play Man Utd on Sunday and I think we have the better keeper.

Reina has hardly been tested yet,looked good against Betis. With Scotty Carson for backup we dont need a keeper for the next few years atleast.
'I prefer not to hate anyone; I prefer just to love Liverpool. '-Xabi Alonso

Offline Rafalutionary

• Legacy Fan
  • For Sure
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2005, 06:52:06 pm »
That's Reinas fault is it?

No I was just making the point that I'd rather we were scoring more goals.
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the games and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great yet humble" - Bill Shankly

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2005, 01:15:47 am »
A very nice article about Pepe from The Sunday Times:

Liverpool's glorious Reina

Ian Hawkey

Liverpool’s £6m keeper has enjoyed a solid start to his Anfield career and is ready for the visit of Manchester United today

One of the nicer stories told about Jose “Pepe” Reina by old associates comes from perhaps Spain’s greatest goalkeeper. When Andoni Zubizarreta first met Reina, at a Spanish Cup final, the young aspirant told the old master he had always been his idol. Zubizarreta gave the kid a pair of his gloves, which Reina still has.

Zubizarreta was also given something to remember Reina by. It was his bold prediction. “One day,” Pepe told Zubi, “I’ll go far.”

If this sounds bumptious, it is forgiven by the fact Reina was eight years old at the time. It was 1990, when Zubizarreta would have been the idol of just about every wannabe goalkeeper south of the Pyrenees. He recalls this particular autograph-hunter clearly because Reina’s father was a friend.

Miguel Reina, a respected keeper from another generation, had brought his son down to the Barcelona dressing-room after a 2-0 win over Real Madrid and felt quietly proud of his boy’s statement of ambition.

Pepe has indeed gone far. He plays for the champions of Europe and at noon today will add a significant milestone to a career that has had its sobering periods but now soars, with his first Liverpool-Manchester United clash.

Reina is a studious enough footballer to know the pitfalled history of this fixture for Liverpool keepers. “There are records in football that are there to be broken,” he smiled when I put it to him. “Of course, I hope for no serious errors and that I end up on the winning side. It’s obvious what this game means to Liverpool supporters and it seems to have become English football’s classico, the big derby, and more than just three points.”

And, yes, he had seen Wayne Rooney’s goal and the flawed response of Jerzy Dudek last time. “I saw both Liverpool-United matches last year, and remember the Rooney goal. These things happen to goalkeepers, we make mistakes sometimes. It’s about how you learn to live with them.”

Dudek now lives in Reina’s slipstream at a club that has developed an itchy trigger-finger with its goalkeepers since the turn of the millennium: Westerveld, Kirkland, Dudek, to reel off just three.

Reina arrived from Villarreal in July, less than two months after Dudek’s theatrics in the Champions League final; he had been admired for some time by Rafa Benitez as a goalkeeper of the build and character to command his penalty area, and the manager will be judged by that assessment.

Benitez’s observation that Reina “is quick and can almost play as a sweeper, like Peter Schmeichel” inevitably got shorthanded to “He’s the New Schmeichel”. Reina rejects the comparison.

“I know the comparison’s been made,” he said. “But I’ve got my own style. I don’t feel any special pressure because of it.”

It is a forthright style, and one that grew at Villarreal, whom Reina joined in the summer of 2002, still a teenager. He’s 6ft 4in tall, and well built; he’s vocal, a powerful kicker, less chained to his goalline than the stereotype of the southern European keeper. “I’d call it presence,” says Manuel Pellegrini, Reina’s head coach at Villarreal, “and he’s very good at handling crosses, which will help him succeed in England. I told Benitez two weeks ago he’d got the best goalkeeper in Spain.”

Better than Real Madrid’s Iker Casillas? “I think so,” replies Pellegrini, “because he’s taller and stronger. He’s also got a special sort of maturity. He’s 23, but seems like he’s 30.”

Part of that may be because he was obliged to grow up fast. Jose Manuel Reina Paez was born in Madrid, son of a local hero. He had the privilege of good genes and expert advice from his father, but the burden of comparison with him, too. Miguel Reina had kept goal for Barcelona and Atletico Madrid, for whom he played in the European Cup final of 1974.

Contemporaries of Reina Sr, like Spain’s national coach Luis Aragones, see something of the father in the son, and Miguel had seen enough by the time Pepe was entering his teens to push him into a career in professional football. It meant sacrifice and some homesickness. At 13, he left his immediate family to join Barcelona’s academy system at La Masia, a competitive hothouse where among his contemporaries would be another ambitious goalkeeper called Victor Valdes. Their duel for what would always be a single vacancy became an intriguing narrative. Valdes, slighter and flashier than Reina, is currently the Barca No 1, but he is behind Reina in the hierarchy of Aragones’s Spain squad.

Of the two, Reina would be the first to touch the heights. He reached the first team at Barca precociously young, called up at 18 to cover an injury and immediately impressive. This, though, was the Nou Camp in a period of violent political flux, when an era of domestic domination had come to an end. Coaches were being employed and dismissed about every nine months, and as for goalkeepers, Reina had become the sixth man asked to clear up behind a defence that liked to push up to the halfway line in six campaigns.

Barcelona played some risky football at the time and team selection was like roulette. Reina played in almost half of Barca’s league matches in 2000-01, less than a third of them the following year.

Villarreal, upwardly mobile, asked Barcelona for one of their spare keepers in the summer of 2002. Initially they wondered about Valdes. He wouldn’t move. They happily signed Reina, who would, and his career was on the rise again. He grew in authority and is remembered at Villarreal as industrious, responsible, and as a goalkeeper with unusually few eccentricities. They tell of just one, a superstition where Reina, a good Catholic boy, would fill a bottle of water at the font of the town’s San Pascual church and take it into his goalmouth for matches.

Anybody taking a penalty against Villarreal during those years would be inclined to examine the contents of those bottles. While at Villarreal, Reina faced 18 penalties in domestic and Uefa Cup competition. A mere six went in. Three missed the target. He saved nine.

He does acknowledge that his game flourished at Villarreal. “I had played in the Champions League at Barcelona but I was much younger then, and I needed the regular football to become a better goalkeeper.”

He would have played in the Champions League with Villarreal this season had he stayed. The die had been cast by June. “Once Liverpool were interested, I knew he’d want to go,” sighs Pellegrini.

For all the accommodating aspects of a transfer to Anfield where there were five compatriot players, including one Luis Garcia, whom he’s known for a decade, Reina felt aware he was breaking a mould. Spain has produced fine goalkeepers, though never exported them to any of Europe’s other, grander leagues. “Listen, a keeper’s job is to make saves wherever you are,” he argues. But he’s noticed the Premiership’s foibles, and especially that his rights and entitlements as a goalkeeper have not been policed in the way he’s used to.

Hear, hear, Benitez would say, convinced that English referees offer insufficient protection to the goalkeeper. “Perhaps there is a difference in how referees look after goalies,” says Reina. “In Spain, you get more free-kicks awarded to the keeper, especially at corners and going up to challenge in the air. In England the referees treat the goalkeeper like any other player, so you have to play with the same weapons as any other, use your strength, mark out your territory, be brave and make your opponents respect you. I’ve felt some studs in me already since I’ve been here.”

He has listened to some applause, too. A sharp, confident display in Seville last Tuesday protected Liverpool’s early advantage against Betis in the Champions League. A deafening first few minutes will greet him today. “We’re at home and it’s a match against one of our rivals for the championship, though I think it’s too soon to start talking about favourites for the title. But we’ve got games in hand and we’ ve got confidence from Tuesday and the crowd.

“I got an idea of the atmosphere when I watched Liverpool-United matches on the television. You have to enjoy that.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2093-1785299_2,00.html

Offline hackouac

• Main Stander
  • Tales of Ordinary Madness 18-5
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2005, 06:27:49 am »
Reina - well hes looked ok so far...made some decent saves and is quick of his line...
the downside, well his decision making is a bit suspect, he seems weak on crosses and he tends to "palm" the ball away when surely a catch is easier....

Maybe harsh, but these are the things that were said about him last season when in spain..

Though, early days yet....hes still getting used to his new club, new defenders in front of him...and of course the premiership, which so far hes doing alright, you cant complain about 3 clean sheets...

Today is his biggest test.

Offline Floundy

• Anny Roader
  • BollockyBoo
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2005, 07:41:47 pm »
Make that 4 clean sheets...
I am JD, and that's the end of that chapter...........

Offline DrTNT

• Boys Pen
  • YNWA.
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2005, 09:53:10 pm »
So far he has looked ok but nothing special. I hope that is because he just settling in. I trust Rafa's judgement and therefore think Reina will get better as the season goes on.

Offline Hattori Hanzo

• Thinks people playing with lego shouldn't throw stones.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2005, 10:05:20 pm »
very solid, i personally dont want to have to see him making world class saves (to often) because if he is organizing his defense well he shouldnt have to, he is very very solid and hasnt needed to be spectacular to often

Offline lcjpm01

• Kopite
  • Sealed off car park.Whats it all about??
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2005, 10:06:16 pm »
Not too bad 4 clean sheets in the league and a MOM in the CL .You cannot judge him yet but one thing you can discount is the Westervelt comparison.Westers main problem was though he was a big cnut he never come off his line let alone dominate his area.That is one thing Reina seems to want to do.I am ok with punching the ball away as long has he clears his box.Though it is early days he has got away with one or two mistakes I feel confident he'll do OK.

Offline saltynuts

• I need to be loved
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thank you
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2005, 10:12:14 pm »
During the summer i heard how this lad was 'brillaint' and 'class', ' the next best thing', but i have'nt seen it in him yet, from what i have seen he is nothing more than solid, last night i seen him put 2 or 3 goalkicks out of play for a throw in near the half way line, now i know i can't judge him on this but i still have'nt seen anything that say's he is worth £6m (i think that's how much you paid). Am i wrong? is he just settling in? or is he really just average?

Pepe is young, so far from the complete keeper and will have lapses...after all, he's human so why wouldn't he?

I watch alot of spanish football and I'd say he is one of the best keepers to come out of spain, still behind Casillas in my eyes but certainly one of the best, the most consistant and we musn't forget the fact he's still getting better, he still has potential to reach, but I assure you, Pepe is far from average. I'm surprised that fans think his Distrabution is one of his weak points because it's actually one of his strong points, Pepe is a quick thinker and we seen today that he spots runs of players and his kicks and throws go right too players, although going of Luis Garcia, Pepe isn't one of the smartest of it... ;D Pepe and others still have to settle in, no doubt, but I'd say he's settled in well so far, and made a solid start, getting quite a few clean sheets in the process so he can only build on that and get better....

But don't expect him to be invincible and imune to mistakes, because after all, he's only human and we all make mistakes.....
"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Offline Harry_Wong

• RAWK Security Consultant. a right burka
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red in the Head
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2006, 10:23:41 pm »
A very nice article about Pepe from The Sunday Times:

Liverpool's glorious Reina
Ian Hawkey
Liverpool’s £6m keeper has enjoyed a solid start to his Anfield career and is ready for the visit of Manchester United today

One of the nicer stories told about Jose “Pepe” Reina by old associates comes from perhaps Spain’s greatest goalkeeper. When Andoni Zubizarreta first met Reina, at a Spanish Cup final, the young aspirant told the old master he had always been his idol. Zubizarreta gave the kid a pair of his gloves, which Reina still has.

Zubizarreta was also given something to remember Reina by. It was his bold prediction. “One day,” Pepe told Zubi, “I’ll go far.”

If this sounds bumptious, it is forgiven by the fact Reina was eight years old at the time. It was 1990, when Zubizarreta would have been the idol of just about every wannabe goalkeeper south of the Pyrenees. He recalls this particular autograph-hunter clearly because Reina’s father was a friend.

Miguel Reina, a respected keeper from another generation, had brought his son down to the Barcelona dressing-room after a 2-0 win over Real Madrid and felt quietly proud of his boy’s statement of ambition.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2093-1785299_2,00.html

Pepe's dad, Miguel Reina is on ESPN Classic (sky ch.442) right now - playnig the European Cup final for Atletico vs Bayern Munich.

He's kept Atletico in it with the first half ending 0-0. Fingers crossed.  ;)

And hasn't Pepe gone far, an excellent first season. Record breaking.
Bill Shankly invites reporters into the changing room to meet his new captain, Ron Yeats:
"I've just signed a colossus. Come in and walk round him…"
1961-71: Promoted 1st season, 2 Championships, 1 FA Cup

Offline Julio

• Legacy Fan
  • Brrrrrrr
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2006, 10:53:40 pm »
nice bump, he's been one of the players of the season so far
"We do not want a single foot of foreign territory; but of our territory we shall not surrender a single inch to anyone"

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2006, 10:54:34 pm »
nice bump, he's been one of the players of the season so far

part keeper, part sweeper

100% fucking ace player
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2006, 10:57:28 pm »
Incidentally, how tall is Reina, really?  He doesn't look over 6 ft to me on TV. 

But he is very athletic, very strongly built, and he is one of the best keepers since Bruce Grobbelaar.  In fact, I am surprised we are even having to discuss whether he is good or not!!

Offline dogrough

• Kemlynite
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2006, 10:58:35 pm »
feel more at ease watching liverpool when reina`s in goal than i use to with dudek

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2006, 11:00:04 pm »
Incidentally, how tall is Reina, really?  He doesn't look over 6 ft to me on TV. 

But he is very athletic, very strongly built, and he is one of the best keepers since Bruce Grobbelaar.  In fact, I am surprised we are even having to discuss whether he is good or not!!

6'2, doesnt look as big because he's so broad, astoundingly athletic for a bloke that size though, amazing spring from a standing position.
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline Deadlogic

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2006, 11:02:12 pm »
Mini Rafa Mini Rafa Mini Rafa.

Love him.

hoonin

« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2006, 11:09:57 pm »
athletic?

he looks like Paul Robinson's Spanish cousin

Just slightly more athletic :P

Have to say he certainly has an impressive spring in his step. Seems to be able to leap and get across his line quite quickly. Sounds a bit odd, but the best example of this was Camel Mans header for the mancs at OT. Was quite surprised Reina even managed to get a hand on the ball given the pace it was travelling.

Am more and more impressed with his with as time goes by. He should get better too and hopefully the minor errors he is prone to will become less and less. The best keeper in the PL right now, for me, is Cech. Reina is not too far behind.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2006, 11:26:54 pm »
Just slightly more athletic :P

Have to say he certainly has an impressive spring in his step. Seems to be able to leap and get across his line quite quickly. Sounds a bit odd, but the best example of this was Camel Mans header for the mancs at OT. Was quite surprised Reina even managed to get a hand on the ball given the pace it was travelling.

Am more and more impressed with his with as time goes by. He should get better too and hopefully the minor errors he is prone to will become less and less. The best keeper in the PL right now, for me, is Cech. Reina is not too far behind.

Whats also impressive is that while he's made errors of judgement from time to time, he hasnt dwelled on it and let it affect his confidence or performances.

Of course great keepers are made over 5-6 years so he has a long way to go to prove his class. Nevertheless, just wait until he matures, what a keeper he will be :D
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline navin

• Anny Roader
  • Malaysia
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2006, 12:04:03 am »
Record clean sheets for club speaks the volume for Reina. He no need to moan or show off what he can do. We are really luck to have one of the brightest "world class" talent at LFC. Be proud guy. I really think he can take over from Casillas as Spain No 1 in Germany.
Liverpool Forever !

Offline ®äfä.. ®äfä...ßëñíTêz

• Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for the memories RB! **YNWA Liam Harker***
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2006, 12:05:37 am »
I have liked what I have seen of Riena so far very solid and made some good saves.
E L  P I S T O L E R O - LUIS SUAREZ  

JOHN W HENRY THE LEGEND - www.spiritofshankly.com

Offline Harry_Wong

• RAWK Security Consultant. a right burka
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red in the Head
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2006, 12:15:42 am »
The 1974 cup final finished 1-1, replay next Friday! No penalty shoot out in those days. Miguel was beaten from 30 yrds, for Munich's equaliser. The ball seemed to dip under his arm. Jack Charlton wasn't impressed.

Our Pepe is incredibly quick off his line, I still recall one lightning charge he made to beat R.Carvalho in the Super Cup final. Very good reactions, and safe handling.

Seemed hesitant on crosses at first, maybe getting used to English ettiquette in the area, more physical then Spain I guess. Seems to have got his measure of them now. Meeting Bolton and Gary Speed was probably a learning experience. Lost his head a bit when Robben beat him to the ball.

I think that's one of very few unforced errors in a season, which is quite something for such an active keeper. I guess it says something about his focus and concentration.

He can clip 30 yrd passes to full-backs right into their stride. That's better passing than some of those full-backs! :P He's great at gathering the ball and releasing it almost one movement, and almost always accurately.

Best moment? I reckon his reactions to save Sami Hyypia from an o.g. while under bombardment at Bolton.
Bill Shankly invites reporters into the changing room to meet his new captain, Ron Yeats:
"I've just signed a colossus. Come in and walk round him…"
1961-71: Promoted 1st season, 2 Championships, 1 FA Cup

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2006, 12:35:29 am »
I was not totally convinced at the beginning of the season, but Reina should be in team of the year the way I see it, he has been superb ofr us so far.

And like people say, if he mistimes a cross, he just get on with it.

Some of the best spend 7 mill£ for a player at Liverpool in a long,long time.
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline amallorcanred

• Main Stander
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2006, 12:43:21 am »
A position we needed to sort - I know Dudeks heroics in the final but he was prone to some whoppers - the position is now sorted.
Hope I am still saying this next year but think he is the one, only young too must have had a big paper round. As has been said he is like a sweeper allows us to play further up the field. Great signing.

Offline luisgarcia080904

• Main Stander
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2006, 10:35:20 am »
Interview on liverpool.tv with him now :)

Offline mulane

• rouge
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2006, 10:55:31 am »
We are really luck to have one of the brightest "world class" talent at LFC. Be proud guy

he is also HOT!

Offline Jimmy10Men

• Legacy Fan
  • California......Here we come!
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2006, 10:58:18 am »
The lad is a bull.

Offline luisgarcia080904

• Main Stander
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2006, 11:31:08 am »
Hes a legend,,hope he stays for a good while

Offline king7

• Main Stander
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2006, 11:34:22 am »
Big interview from the official pages:

Pepe, you're coming towards the end of your first season at Anfield. How do you personally think it's gone?

I think it's gone well. When I decided to join Liverpool it was because I believed in the manager and the project he was trying to build at Anfield. I always want to improve in my career and moving to a club the size of Liverpool was a big step up for me. It's an honour for me to be at such a great club because this is a team that is known and loved all over the world. Even when I was in Spain, Liverpool was always a team that a lot of football supporters always spoke about. The fact that Liverpool have a Spanish manager and a lot of Spanish players obviously played a part in why so many Spaniards were interested in the team but even before Rafa arrived here, Liverpool were already a big name in Spain due to the fact that they'd won four European Cups.

Be honest, the move must have gone better than even you could have expected?

It's gone well, I won't deny that but there's still a lot of room for improvement from both myself and also the team in general. When you move to a new country and a new team, you need a little bit of time to adapt to your new surroundings but I am very happy here and I can honestly say I'm enjoying being Liverpool's goalkeeper. I'll be a lot happier when we're first in the Premiership but hopefully that will come.

Have you lost count of how many clean sheets you've kept already this season?

I haven't been counting the number of clean sheets I've kept but, to be honest, I would never try to claim that I was the sole reason for any clean sheet that Liverpool have managed this season. If we don't concede a goal, it's all down to teamwork and in some of the games, I haven't had anything to do.

If it's down to teamwork when Liverpool keep a clean sheet, how come you're the villain when a mistake costs us a goal?

That's just life for a goalkeeper. When you are a keeper, you can make some great saves during a game but if you win the match, it will be the goalscorer who grabs the headlines. I've played in matches where I've pulled of five or six really important saves but then I've made one mistake and that's all people remember from the match. I'm not complaining though - I knew what to expect when I chose to pursue a career as a goalkeeper. If I wanted all the headlines and all the glory, I might have tried harder to become a striker!

How difficult is it to stay focused when you might not get a touch of the ball for half-an-hour or so during a game?

When you're a goalkeeper and you join a great club, you know that you won't have as much to do as a goalkeeper at a club which is struggling or not so good. The difference is, you have to concentrate for every second of the match because you never know when you might be called into action. This is the life of a keeper at a big club. You might only have one save to make during a game but you have to make that save. If you have one shot to save - like I did in a game against Middlesbrough earlier in the season - you have to save it. The pressure is intense because if the opposition only gets one chance to score during a whole game, your mistake could cost the team two or even three points.

Without taking anything away from your own performances, do you feel secure in the knowledge that the likes of Jamie Carragher and Sami Hyypia are in front of you protecting your goal?

I'm lucky to have Jamie and Sami in the defence in front of me but the whole team works to defend my goal when we lose the ball. The defence starts in attack and every player works hard to get the ball back - no matter whether they're a striker, midfielder or defender. We play with our defence higher up the pitch than Liverpool did last season so the boss likes me to sometimes act as a sweeper and clear the ball even if it means me racing 20 yards outside of my area. It's not new for me to do this as I played the same way with both Barcelona and Villareal.

Has there been an occasion when you've committed yourself to racing out of your area and halfway there, you've suddenly thought, 'What have I done?'

If I'm not sure if I'll be able to get to the ball first then I don't normally go but if you think you can arrive first to clear the danger, you've got to go. When you're rushing out, you haven't got time to think about not making it first - you just have to run that little bit faster! The team has the confidence in me to be there when it matters though.

Your most famous mad dash this season was down at Stamford Bridge. Any regrets?

I don't regret running out to clear the ball but what can I say? It was a tackle and I touched the ball. I thought it looked clear that I made contact with the ball on TV.

What exactly did Arjen Robben say to you when the referee was calling you over?

I don't remember exactly but it didn't help the situation at the time. It was the firstsending off of my career and it was a bad experience for me and the team. To be honest, I don't even like talking about it.

Aside from your role as a 'makeshift sweeper', the other noticeable difference between your style and what we've seen before at Anfield is your preference to punch rather than catch the ball a lot of the time. Was this a conscious decision when you arrived in the Premiership?

Yes, I think it's a way of making sure you can clear the ball away from the goal no matter what pressure you are under. In England, the game is more physical than in Spain and the referee's are not the same. You can try to catch in the six-yard box but outside it, I like to punch it clear and make sure the ball is away from our goal as quickly as possible. Rafa advised me to do that when I came here and warned me to be careful in the air because of the way the opposition players collide into you.

How surprised have you been by the physical nature of the game in the Premiership?

I think shocked is a better word than surprised. It's too physical. Sometimes, the penalty area is like a boxing ring. I'm not joking, some of the strikers are built like boxers and play like them but without the gloves!

Some of them would probably say the same about you when you come flying out to punch the ball away. Ever got it wrong and knocked out one of your own defenders?

[Smiles] Not yet but they know that when I shout 'KEEPER!' it's time to get out the way!

Did you always want to be a goalkeeper?

When I was really young, like all kids, I used to play up front and score all the goals but I think my preference was always to be a goalkeeper. Even at seven years of age, I had the gloves and I used to play in goal.

Your father Miguel Reina played in goal for Barcelona. Did he push you into goalkeeping?

He didn't push me to do anything that I didn't want but he certainly encouraged me when I began to show an interest in being a goalkeeper. I think because of my father, football is just naturally in my blood. Having said that, just because my father was a goalkeeper didn't automatically mean I was going to become one too. I've got five brothers and I'm the only one who is a goalkeeper.

Do you think the fact that your father was a footballer has helped you to deal with being in the limelight because you must have seen it all before you even made your professional debut?

I don't know really because when my father was playing, it was a totally different time and a different way of live to how professional footballers live these days. The media interest in football back then was a world away from what it is now so what he had to cope with is quite different to what some of the big-name players have to deal with now. I'd like to think that my upbringing was very normal and that's why I've turned out a normal person.

Are you a better 'keeper than your father was?

I don't know if anyone could possible answer that? I certainly can't because how can you compare two players from two different eras – particularly when there has been a rule change that affects the way goalkeepers can go about their business. As I said before, it was a different time, a different style of football and a different style of goalkeeping. The training is a lot harder now as well.

So, in a roundabout way, you're basically saying that you're better as your dad had it easy picking up back passes every five minutes!

[Laughs] I didn't say that! If I can be as good as my father then I'll be happy because he played in La Liga and won six international caps. He's had a real influence on me and has helped me throughout my whole career.

Didn't you break your father's record of 824 minutes without conceding a goal earlier this season?

I think he did it only in league games but with me, all the competitions counted together. I don't know if that means my record is better than his. When I broke the record [Reina didn't concede a goal for 1017 minutes], he called me and told me I was better than him. I think he was only joking though. To be honest, I'm just really proud to have entered the record books for such a famous football club. That is more than I expected before I came here last summer. It's definitely something I'd like to tell my grandchildren about in years to come. Having said that though, the record is really a shared honour with the rest of my teammates because without them, it wouldn't have been possible. We defend as a team and we attack together as a team.

Luis Garcia recently told us that life in Liverpool is far calmer than at Barcelona. Is that how you see things?

I know what Luis means but I think the pressure he is talking about is off the pitch. With Barcelona and Liverpool, there's not too much difference on the pitch. They are both one of the most important teams in their country. At Barcelona and Liverpool, you have about three saves to make each game and youhave to make them saves if you want to keep your place in the team. As a player for Barca and Liverpool, you must always play to your maximum and be focused all of the time. Off the pitch, the media is very different in Spain. I think there is more pressure from the media at Barcelona than there is at Liverpool. In Spain, the journalists want to quiz you all the time.

What about the supporters?

The supporters are very different too. The supporters of Liverpool are unbelievable. We lost 2-0 to Benfica at Anfield and you could still hear the Liverpool fans singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. It was such an amazing thing to hear considering the fact that we were about to concede our European crown. The fans had been singing about how we were going to win it six times in Paris all season and then when that was about to become impossible, they didn't turn on the players. Instead, they launched into this amazing rendition of the club anthem and that really got to all the players. I'm not sure you'd hear anything like that in similar circumstances anywhere else in the world. After I heard that, I personally wanted to go to every supporter in the ground and say, 'We can only say we are sorry and, thank you, because we tried to win it for you'.

Do you get to talk to many Liverpool supporters in the streets around where you live?

If anyone stops me for a chat, I happily stop but not that many people recognise me in the street because I'm quite quiet in my private life. I prefer to stay out of the limelight and I think the fans respect that. They might wave or say hello but they certainly don't act like some fans in Spain do.

When you arrive at a new club, how do you go about learning about the history of the club? Did you study DVDs or books about Liverpool Football Club?

I knew about Liverpool before I arrived here but I didn't know everything. I just knew Liverpool was one of the most famous names in European football and that thesupporters were really well respected. When I signed however, I tried to learn more. I visited the museum inside the stadium to look at all the trophies and shirts and bits of history that is kept there. I also visited the club shop to see different things that were being sold. I knew Liverpool was the most successful club in England and hopefully, we can add another league championship to the list of honours next season.

If I mentioned Hillsborough to you, would you know what I was talking about?

Yes, I know about Hillsborough and also Heysel too. They were both very bad days for the club, but for different reasons obviously. I've read about Hillsborough and, of course, I've seen the memorial on the wall outside the ground. When you see the ages next to the names of the supporters who die, it really makes you think. I don't think you need to be a fan of Liverpool or even know much about what happened to be saddened by see the names of such young fans on a memorial like that. The history of the club is important to me though. Even simple things, like touching the 'This is Anfield' sign before walking on to the pitch are important because you need to keep the traditions alive. You think, if the player who came before me and were so successful felt the need to touch the sign, then so should I.

Finally, one question I've always wanted to ask a goalkeeper: would you be happy not to touch the ball once during a whole match if the team won or do you secretly want to make a few saves to convince yourself you've played some role in the victory?

I'd prefer not to touch the ball and we win 3-0 but it's almost impossible. If I had the choice before a game, I'd definitely pick winning without me having to touch the ball.

Sounds like a nice way to earn your money..

It would be if it ever happened but has there ever been a match where a goalkeeper hasn't touched the ball once? I don't think there has. If you only have to do one thing in a wholematch, you've got to make sure you do it right. One catch to make and you drop it? That's not a nice way to earn your money!

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N151830060323-1000.htm

Offline StuH

• Legacy Fan
  • Dalglish's marching army!
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2006, 11:53:11 am »
It was a good read, seems to have a very mature head on his shoulders too.
He's a manipulative bastard. Another deliberate attempt to put pressure on people in the game, which he thinks he'll get away with because of his "standing" in the game and his fucking knighthood.

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2006, 11:57:38 am »

What about the supporters?

The supporters are very different too. The supporters of Liverpool are unbelievable. We lost 2-0 to Benfica at Anfield and you could still hear the Liverpool fans singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. It was such an amazing thing to hear considering the fact that we were about to concede our European crown. The fans had been singing about how we were going to win it six times in Paris all season and then when that was about to become impossible, they didn't turn on the players. Instead, they launched into this amazing rendition of the club anthem and that really got to all the players. I'm not sure you'd hear anything like that in similar circumstances anywhere else in the world. After I heard that, I personally wanted to go to every supporter in the ground and say, 'We can only say we are sorry and, thank you, because we tried to win it for you'.

:)

Well said there Pepe.

Offline Ole Gunnar

• Legacy Fan
  • In it to win it!
Re: Jose Reina? (today's .tv interview added)
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2006, 12:00:58 pm »

Liked this one as well:
[Smiles] Not yet but they know that when I shout 'KEEPER!' it's time to get out the way!

Bart: Dad, what's a Muppet?

Homer: Well, it's not quite a mop, not quite a puppet, but man... (laughs, then pauses) So, to answer you question, I don't know.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2006, 12:15:18 pm »
The history of the club is important to me though. Even simple things, like touching the 'This is Anfield' sign before walking on to the pitch are important because you need to keep the traditions alive. You think, if the player who came before me and were so successful felt the need to touch the sign, then so should I.

Maybe this will finally dispell the myth that players who weren't diehard reds at birth can still be converted.

You come to a club like Liverpool, you better be ready to accept it's history and passions.

Well done Pepe... :wave

And I would wager, everyone in the side is the same....
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2006, 12:21:49 pm »
I said earlier that I am fully convinced about Reina, even if I had a few doubts early on, but after reading this, what can I say.

Superb player, superb attitude, and seems like a superb bloke as well.
 :scarf :wellin :scarf
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2006, 12:36:57 pm »
Liked this one as well:

Like that comment too, made me laugh.. But didnt he knock out Riise in a pre-season friendly??;D

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2006, 12:40:33 pm »
yeah was thinking he knocked riise down as well, in on of his first games

mulane: one of the strong silent men for you then?  :lickin

Offline Lone Wolf

• Kopite
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2006, 01:32:12 pm »
He flattened Riise in one of the qual rounds of the CL, think it was T.N.S.

First time I'd seen him and I thought then 'he's got it right'. No matter who you have to go through to get rid of the ball, you go through them.

Hasn't looked back since.

Seems a top bloke as well.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2006, 01:39:34 pm »
He flattened Riise in one of the qual rounds of the CL, think it was T.N.S.

First time I'd seen him and I thought then 'he's got it right'. No matter who you have to go through to get rid of the ball, you go through them.

Hasn't looked back since.

Seems a top bloke as well.

what, met him av you?

;D
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2006, 02:11:09 pm »
I personally wanted to go to every supporter in the ground and say, 'We can only say we are sorry and, thank you, because we tried to win it for you'.
Thats a lovely quote i think. Made me respect him even more.
He seems a sound lad, and is a great goalkeeper, with tons of potential.
touching the 'This is Anfield' sign before walking on to the pitch are important because you need to keep the traditions alive. You think, if the player who came before me and were so successful felt the need to touch the sign, then so should I.
And that, is a great quote to.