Author Topic: Why European Nights are So Special at Anfield by Colin Wood  (Read 4160 times)

batesie -56-

Why European Nights are So Special at Anfield by Colin Wood
« on: August 22, 2005, 12:57:30 pm »
The Daily Mail's Colin Wood is the latest member of the media to give his 'View From The Press Box' as he looks forward to this week's Champions League tie and talks about what makes Liverpool fans so special on European nights. 

I don't know whether Liverpool can repeat their Champions League glory this season, but one thing is for sure and that is no team will fancy coming to Anfield and playing in front of the Kop on a European night.

I don't think the CSKA Sofia game this midweek will rival some of the big games from last season in terms of atmosphere and noise, but the Bulgarian players will certainly be aware that they're stepping into a special arena when they arrive at Anfield.

European nights at Liverpool are always special and are always nights to really look forward to. I can't quite put my finger on why they are so special but I think a lot of it goes back to the wonderful family feeling that came to the club when Shankly arrived. Even though Liverpool weren't so successful in his first few years, it was still a fantastic place to come and watch football.

I'll always remember the game against Inter Milan in 1965. Liverpool had just won the FA Cup for the first time and Anfield was packed with more than 54,000 fans. It was the European Cup semi-final first leg and before the game Gerry Byrne and Roger Milne paraded the cup to the fans. Liverpool won the first leg 3-1 before they lost in Italy, mainly down to some dodgy refereeing decisions. The atmosphere at Anfield that night was just something else.

That is a story which hasbeen repeated time and time again down the years. Before last season the best atmosphere I ever had the privilege to be a part of was the famous St Etienne game in 1977. Liverpool had lost 1-0 in France and it was set for a great night at Anfield for the second leg. Getting an early goal after just two minutes set the tone before St Etienne pulled a goal back. Then of course Ray Kennedy scored and six minutes from time David Fairclough came off the bench to score that dramatic goal to win the tie.

A couple of occasions last season reminded me of that great night. The Olympiacos game was very dramatic and the Chelsea match is definitely right up there with St Etienne. The Liverpool fans almost took the roof off Anfield that night. It was a fantastic experience and I don't think the Chelsea players or manager could believe it.

The people of Liverpool are special and that's why they can make European nights such great occasions. They turn up at Anfield in their droves and sing themselves hoarse in support of their team. The family spirit that Shankly inspired has carried on until today and is being carried forward by Rafael Benitez, Steven Gerrard and company.

Benitez is certainly bringing the good times back to Anfield. I can't put my finger on why they have not done so well domestically but certainly as a European force they are a side to be reckoned with once again.

Whether they can do it again this season and win the Champions League is very difficult to say, but with the atmosphere like it is on a European night at Anfield then you can't completely rule it out.

The amount of games Liverpool have already played this season will no doubt stand them in good stead for the early matches in the Premiership and in Europe, but I do wonder if it'll take something out of them come the end of the year.

Whatever happens, their fans will be behind them all the way and will be hoping for more glorious nights to add to the growing list of special Anfield occasions. 

Colin Wood
Most memorable match covering Liverpool: Rome 1977 when Liverpool won the European Cup for the first time.

Best player seen in your time covering the Reds: Kenny Dalglish, without a doubt.

Team you support: It's not Liverpool and it's not Everton. One ofmy proud boasts over the years is people connected with Everton and their fans think I'm a Liverpool fan, and people connected with Liverpool and their fans think I'm an Everton fan.
I wasn't in Istanbul as I wasn't working and I'm not a die hard Liverpool fan, but all my children are. I watched the match on television and at half-time the three youngest ones went out and started playing football. I knocked on the window and shouted it was 3-1. Then it became 3-2 and I must admit I was on my feet with them shouting and cheering, and I was dancing around the room when the third goal went in!

Offline toreflo

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop Together
Re: Why European Nights are So Special at Anfield by Colin Wood
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 01:11:24 pm »
Quality read.

But now for League games aswell.
Why don't PTS members get priority, afterall they pay more than season ticket holders!!!!!!!!!!

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 01:16:36 pm »
Always good to read stuff like this.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Modern football is shit
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 01:20:21 pm »
And judging by the amount of spares available for the Sofia home game he might find tomorrow a bit of a let-down!

Grab a spare, bring your neighbour/son/daughter/dad ...

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 01:50:46 pm »
I'm sure he meant Gordon instead of Roger Milne though!

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 01:53:06 pm »
I'm sure he meant Gordon instead of Roger Milne though!

Could have meant A A Milne?

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 02:18:10 pm »
How come there was no mention for the Juve game last year? That was the best atmosphere IMO.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 02:29:11 pm »
Good article but I think they'd have been better off printing that article before the 1st home game in the group stages. If the atmosphere at last years home game to Graz is anything to go by.

Offline toreflo

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop Together
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 04:27:23 pm »
Never in a million years was Juve atmosphere better than Chelskis.
Why don't PTS members get priority, afterall they pay more than season ticket holders!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lenny

• Main Stander
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 04:33:58 pm »
Never in a million years was Juve atmosphere better than Chelskis.

Yeah, Chels was an ABSOLUTE BELTER!, Juve was still a very close second
Oh his father was a soldier...

Offline HiTs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • In Istanbul when we won it 5 times!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 04:51:07 pm »
The Roma atmosphere few seasons back when GH came back would also rank pretty high up there......
★      ★       ★       ★       ★       ★                        ★                          ★
77     78      81      84       05      19      World Champions 2019     Premier League 2020

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 05:03:54 pm »
The thing with Chelsea was that it was 90 (96 for the pedants) minutes of full-on warfare. I was physically and mentally drained after it. I've never been to a match like it, the atmosphere was evil, fucking amazing night.

Offline BUNTER7

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005, 05:26:58 pm »
Chelsea game was the most immense thing l have ever experienced at anfield - pure fucking ice in the veins stuff. The sound was deafening and the adrenilin was nearly as bad as istanpool.
And l had to sit in the main stand.
Roma game was great but it doesnt compare to beating those rent boys and ruining maureens season. Roll on the group stages to get some real atmosphere as saturdays was poor.

Offline GaryM

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 07:30:37 pm »
The thing with Chelsea was that it was 90 (96 for the pedants) minutes of full-on warfare. I was physically and mentally drained after it. I've never been to a match like it, the atmosphere was evil, fucking amazing night.

Yeah I went out in town after it and I was so drained I could barely stand up.  It was mental.
"There's not one club in Europe with an anthem like You'll Never Walk Alone. There's not one club in the world so united with the fans. I sat there watching the Liverpool fans and they sent shivers down my spine. A mass of 40,000 people became one force behind their team ... For that I admire Liverpool more than anything" Johan Cryuff

Offline AdamL

• Queenie's testicles, as seen in the Echo
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 08:42:15 pm »
chelsea was immense. i've still got the video someone took from the back of 204 when the final whistle went, the whole place just goes mental. couldnt talk for days after that game. i remember after it just being sat back in the pub with me dad. usually we'll chat away as we sink a few more and wait for the traffic to ease, but we both just sat there gazing up at the tv. we were both drained.
Momo Is Boss

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 07:23:10 am »
I couldn't make it to the final, how did that compare?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Joshytoohotty

• Potty Mouth
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2005, 11:53:12 pm »
Chelsea was incredible.

Back row of the Kop, I felt sick at half-time I was singing so much.

What an absolutely fantastic night.
They only drink water and bottles of coke, the Everton boys are a joke...

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Will there ever be a Rainbow ?
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2005, 11:59:05 pm »
Chelsea game was the best atmosphere I have ever been in and yes I was in Istanbul.
Come on RAWK lets ave it and you can bring your fuckin dinner as well.

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/ <-- Read this JFT96

MICHAEL SHIELDS YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera