Author Topic: The Plane Thread  (Read 3742 times)

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
The Plane Thread
« on: August 14, 2005, 09:39:34 pm »
You have changed this into a thread for planes so... any more opinions?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 04:21:46 pm by Xabi »
R.T.K

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Police Helicopter.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 09:40:14 pm »
How annoying is the Police helicopter? I know all to well it does a good job but its loud and flies low. Quiet helicopter designers needed. ;)

You think the Kirkby Star's loud, you've never flown on a Wessex or a Chinook
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Pheeny

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 09:41:43 pm »
Chinook? don't you mean a wocka wocka!

Offline Gerrardinho

• Main Stander
  • Wine for my men !! We ride at dawn
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 09:42:15 pm »
yeah i agree xabi they are noisy
Some may say im a dreamer but im not the only one

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 09:42:20 pm »

Sorry but I have been in a Chinook once. Point taken. We don't have a Chinook over the house every night though!
R.T.K

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 09:43:24 pm »
Chinook? don't you mean a wocka wocka!

There's only about six people on here who'd understand wocka-wocka mate  :wave

I do actually call them wocka-wockas far more than is healthy for a 23 year old NCO though  :-[
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Pheeny

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 09:44:09 pm »
Point taken. We don't have a Chinook over the house every night though!
I did for 5 months whilst in the Falklands

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 09:44:21 pm »
Sorry but I have been in a Chinook once. Point taken. We don't have a Chinook over the house every night though!

I do a lot, noisy fuckers. Quieter than the Tornados and Harriers that I had flying over every 20 minutes in my last place though.

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 09:44:36 pm »
have you mistaken it for the air ambulance?

:wave

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 09:46:44 pm »
have you mistaken it for the air ambulance?

:wave

No it's just been over here now. My reason for the thread.
R.T.K

Pheeny

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 09:51:44 pm »
I do a lot, noisy fuckers. Quieter than the Tornados and Harriers that I had flying over every 20 minutes in my last place though.
had that too but the Lightning was the worst.Beautiful aircraft though.

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 09:52:42 pm »
No it's just been over here now. My reason for the thread.

I was only fishin. sorry.

:D   :wave

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 09:52:45 pm »
had that too but the Lightning was the worst.Beautiful aircraft though.

The last completely British front line aircraft as well.

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2005, 09:52:53 pm »

You used to live in Iraq?
R.T.K

Offline Huyton Fatties

• Founding member of the Bootle Slims
  • Kopite
  • The Huyton Fatties
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2005, 09:54:24 pm »
you wanna live in Fuckin Huyton
the pilot lets on now as if hes the driver of the 75 going down wezzy av

Peoples Republic of Huytonia

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2005, 09:54:26 pm »
You used to live in Iraq?

Only for six months!

I lived in Bulford, on Salisbury Plain. There was a research airfield (Boscombe Down) about two miles from the house, and I lived on one of the flight paths.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 09:56:09 pm by BIGdavalad »

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2005, 09:55:30 pm »
Fucking pain in the arse.

Offline Curly Tom

• Has no life.
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Anfield Shrine
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2005, 09:58:01 pm »
Only for six months!

I lived in Bulford, on Salisbury Plain. There was a research airfield (Boscombe Down) about two miles from the house, and I lived on one of the flight paths.

I live right on the edge of salisbury plain, little village called west lavington. Get usef to all the aicraft and guns going off.

"I lived my dream today, I lived it yesterday, and I'll be living yours tomorrow, anything else to say?"

Offline Kanonkop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2005, 10:00:12 pm »

Agree that it was a great plane - up there with the Vulcan but slight point of correction, the Harrier was a completely British front line aircraft.  The Yanks have merely made an adapted version for their Marines but the original was 100% Made In Britain.
Confucius say, "Man who walk through door sideways going to Bangkok"

Pheeny

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2005, 10:03:08 pm »
and with out doubt one of the most beautiful Jet Fighters ever made.Magnificent rumour that its never been flown at its top speed being that its a rocket with wings.Its also the only aircraft that the whole "Station" would watch take off cars /tanks whatever would stop and the occupants would be glued hoping for the famous lightning take off!Which was a more or less right angle!(if that makes sense)

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2005, 10:03:15 pm »
Agree that it was a great plane - up there with the Vulcan but slight point of correction, the Harrier was a completely British front line aircraft.  The Yanks have merely made an adapted version for their Marines but the original was 100% Made In Britain.

Only after the Americans paid a lot of money into the design so that they could buy it for their Marines - who were also the first people to buy it (before the RAF or the FAA).

Saw a programme on Discovery about it like last week  :wave

I live right on the edge of salisbury plain, little village called west lavington. Get usef to all the aicraft and guns going off.

I think I know it, not far from Larkhill ranges.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2005, 10:04:26 pm »
and with out doubt one of the most beautiful Jet Fighters ever made.Magnificent rumour that its never been flown at its top speed being that its a rocket with wings.Its also the only aircraft that the whole "Station" would watch take off cars /tanks whatever would stop and the occupants would be glued hoping for the famous lightning take off!Which was a more or less right angle!(if that makes sense)

It is a lovely plane - saw a video of a proper Lightning take off, looks like the shuttle taking off or something.

Pheeny

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2005, 10:05:02 pm »
Dont know about helicopters or anything, but I used to live right next to a RAF base (where Pheeny used to be, I think :wave) and the planes over our house used to be so loud (think they were mostly Hawks, but to be fair I do know fuck all about planes ;D). And bloody annoying when they were doing their night flying! You learn to block it out though.
when I was at Valley it was the busiest airfield in the UK.More take offs and landings than Heathrow.

Pheeny

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2005, 10:09:21 pm »
It is a lovely plane - saw a video of a proper Lightning take off, looks like the shuttle taking off or something.
I have the pleasure of being on top of the Air Traffic Control Tower(was fixing the security lights) when a Lightning did one of its take offs!

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2005, 10:10:19 pm »
when I was at Valley it was the busiest airfield in the UK.More take offs and landings than Heathrow.

If you go up the Great Orme in Llandudno, you can quite often see the Hawks from Valley flying below you doing low level training.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2005, 10:10:46 pm »
I have the pleasure of being on top of the Air Traffic Control Tower(was fixing the security lights) when a Lightning did one of its take offs!

Bit noisy?

Pheeny

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2005, 10:11:35 pm »

Offline Kanonkop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2005, 10:12:40 pm »
Great planes of their times (post WWII)-

Lightning
Sabre
Vulcan
Phantom
A-10
F-16
Harrier
SR-71
Hercules

Pheeny

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2005, 10:13:26 pm »
If you go up the Great Orme in Llandudno, you can quite often see the Hawks from Valley flying below you doing low level training.
which I have done when I was in a trialest with the RAF Valley Mountain Rescue.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2005, 10:14:44 pm »
Pardon

;D

which I have done when I was in a trialest with the RAF Valley Mountain Rescue.

Done it a few times when I was kid, mum and dad would drag me up there at least once a year. Never thought to take a camera though - can't be many people who've taken a picture of the top of a flying jet

Pheeny

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2005, 10:15:35 pm »
Great planes of their times (post WWII)-

Lightning
Sabre
Vulcan
Phantom
A-10
F-16
Harrier
SR-71
Hercules
Phantom is the 2nd most beautiful aircraft.

Pheeny

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2005, 10:17:48 pm »
;D

Done it a few times when I was kid, mum and dad would drag me up there at least once a year. Never thought to take a camera though - can't be many people who've taken a picture of the top of a flying jet
Me and my sis took my lad through Snowdonia 2 years ago and I was well chuffed when a couple of Hawks flew over.

Offline hindsy101

• Main Stander
  • **Believe......**
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2005, 10:19:04 pm »
What's the helicopter doing over my house?!

http://www.merseyside.police.uk/html/aboutus/departments/air-support/whereabouts/index.htm

Really informative site that details all police helicopter flights, reasons for flight, outcome of flight, etc.

Doesn't make the noise any less annoying, but at least you know it is being put to good use

Offline Kanonkop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2005, 10:22:59 pm »
I forgot the F104 Starfighter - A truly awesome beast in the same mould as the Lightning.

Pheeny

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2005, 10:28:26 pm »
I forgot the F104 Starfighter - A truly awesome beast in the same mould as the Lightning.

Pheeny

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2005, 10:29:24 pm »

Pheeny

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2005, 10:31:22 pm »

take off

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2005, 10:32:19 pm »
Thread hijackers. ;)