Author Topic: Moon  (Read 9923 times)

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
Re: Moon
« Reply #120 on: April 9, 2011, 12:40:46 am »

Taken holding an iPhone against the lense. And I tell you what that is a really bloody hard thing to do. I need to get a proper webcam that I can attach to the eyepiece.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2011, 10:42:36 pm »
Anyone on here know of any decent cameras to attach to a telescope? I keep reading about a specific type of webcam that everyone loves but it's only compatible with XP and I'm on 7.

Offline IndianaRed

• Aaarghhh!!!!... my eyes!!!!... my eyes!!!!..
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2011, 10:50:24 am »
thought this was a thread about the brilliant sam rockwell film of the same name

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2011, 10:59:23 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouGg3O0UyZc

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNN... ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2011, 12:51:51 am »
This is my first attempt at videoing the Moon. It's shaky because the telescope is on a wooden floor and I'm manually tracking it through the sky as I don't have a motor yet. There are some clouds at the start but it gets clearer later in the video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BDyjjU2CM28" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BDyjjU2CM28</a>

I'm planning on getting a UV/IR filter which will improve the lighting, but so far this is just my astro camera attached to my telescope. There are also programs that let you do time lapse photography if you have a motor, which I'm going to look in to, to get a better result eventually.

Offline caspertheghost

• Legacy Fan
  • When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2011, 01:39:46 am »
must have been a full moon today -
I got bloody well humped in work (got call after bloody call) and I smelt the worst fart EVER in my 41 years on this paltry planet - I am accustomed to bad smells but Christ almighty this was like a living hell!
What kind of work gets you the nickname Casper the ghost?

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2011, 01:49:24 am »
This is my first attempt at videoing the Moon. It's shaky because the telescope is on a wooden floor and I'm manually tracking it through the sky as I don't have a motor yet. There are some clouds at the start but it gets clearer later in the video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BDyjjU2CM28" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BDyjjU2CM28</a>

I'm planning on getting a UV/IR filter which will improve the lighting, but so far this is just my astro camera attached to my telescope. There are also programs that let you do time lapse photography if you have a motor, which I'm going to look in to, to get a better result eventually.
That's a cracking video that mate cheers. I had a telescope yonks ago and was amazed how hard it actually is to track stars manually and how soon they disappear from view and are so tough to nail down again.
There are always more fortresses to torch.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2011, 11:36:13 am »
That's a cracking video that mate cheers. I had a telescope yonks ago and was amazed how hard it actually is to track stars manually and how soon they disappear from view and are so tough to nail down again.

Cheers mate :wave

Yeah stars are the worst, and planets. But the Moon moves slowly enough when you have a low magnification. I have a barlow lense and when I put that on the Moon is out of the field of view in about ten seconds.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2011, 04:32:12 pm »
Great pics & vid Gobias mate.

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2011, 06:50:49 pm »
That's a great vid GI. What kind of telescope do you use?

Heads up for anyone interested in astronomy, (thought this would be the best thread to post in).

Horizon
Seeing Stars

Next on:

Today, 21:00 on BBC Two

Around the world, a new generation of astronomers are hunting for the most mysterious objects in the universe. Young stars, black holes, even other forms of life.

They have created a dazzling new set of super-telescopes that promise to rewrite the story of the heavens.

This film follows the men and women who are pushing the limits of science and engineering in some of the most extreme environments on earth. But most strikingly of all, no-one really knows what they will find out there.

I've seen a few clips and looks good, (then again it is BBC so it should be). Will be on i-Player for anyone who can't watch/misses it.

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2011, 07:06:11 pm »

Love that mate. Personal favourite bit of mine is around 1:10 when the light manages to briefly catch the craters around the edge beautifully. Good stuff.

Heads up for anyone interested in astronomy, (thought this would be the best thread to post in).

Horizon
Seeing Stars

Unsurprisingly, I shall be watching that at some point tonight. The BBC really do piss all over everybody else when it comes to science/nature programmes, just wish there were more of them.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2011, 07:27:18 pm »
Cheers guys :)

It's a Sky Watcher 130p Newtonian Reflector. Great little scope. I've taken all the pics I put on this thread through it, back when I was just holding my iphone up to the eyepiece. Now I have a cam on it, I can't wait for the planets to come out properly again. Summer is shite for looking at objects in the solar system.

Offline RedRabbit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #132 on: August 15, 2011, 07:46:30 pm »
Unsurprisingly, I shall be watching that at some point tonight. The BBC really do piss all over everybody else when it comes to science/nature programmes, just wish there were more of them.

I'll have to watch it on i-Player, because the fuckers are so good that another great documentary series is on BBC4 at the same time!  :( Can't believe there isn't a thread in this place, which is a British site, dedicated to the greatest thing the British ever gave the world...besides LFC and the language obviously.  ;)

It's a Sky Watcher 130p Newtonian Reflector.

Snap!  ;D Don't have a good camera though. I'm quite happy looking myself for the time being.

Jupiter has been around for a while and Mars next year should be great...closest approach in ages.

A good site to find what's up and about in the night sky: http://astronomycentral.co.uk/planets-to-see-in-the-sky-tonight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: August 16, 2011, 12:54:45 am »
I'll have to watch it on i-Player, because the fuckers are so good that another great documentary series is on BBC4 at the same time!  :( Can't believe there isn't a thread in this place, which is a British site, dedicated to the greatest thing the British ever gave the world...besides LFC and the language obviously.  ;)

Snap!  ;D Don't have a good camera though. I'm quite happy looking myself for the time being.

Jupiter has been around for a while and Mars next year should be great...closest approach in ages.

A good site to find what's up and about in the night sky: http://astronomycentral.co.uk/planets-to-see-in-the-sky-tonight

It's a fantastic little scope isn't it. I'm planning to get a 5x Barlow lense eventually, but for now the 2x will do.

Great site that. I also have the Star Walk app for iPhone. You just aim it at the sky and it will show you exactly where any star/planet/even satellite is at any given moment. It's the most amazing app.

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #134 on: August 16, 2011, 01:56:12 am »
It's a fantastic little scope isn't it. I'm planning to get a 5x Barlow lense eventually, but for now the 2x will do.

Great site that. I also have the Star Walk app for iPhone. You just aim it at the sky and it will show you exactly where any star/planet/even satellite is at any given moment. It's the most amazing app.

Just spotted that mate. What a great app!!

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2011, 02:02:31 am »

There will be about half an hour on April 16th, where I live, when I will be able to see Saturn with the Moon beside it. I cannot wait for that night.

Did you take any pics of this mate?

It's a Sky Watcher 130p Newtonian Reflector. Great little scope.

Thinking about getting a telescope for christmas. Would you recommend one of these for a beginner?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2011, 02:25:16 am »
Did you take any pics of this mate?

Thinking about getting a telescope for christmas. Would you recommend one of these for a beginner?

Unfortunately I missed it because I'm Scottish and besides exporting whiskey and shortbread to every corner of the world, we also import all their fucking clouds.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2011, 08:59:48 am »
Lapsed Astronomer here.  :(  In my younger days I'd think nothing about staying outside all night even in the middle of winter if there was something worth seeing or trying to find a particular object. A combination of poor quality light where I now live and some eye problems have meant I haven't really practised it for years now but I've noticed some places (even Curry's) have started stocking reasonably decent telescopes whereas years ago you more or less had to get one imported from the States or make do with a 2 1/2 refractor from Argos.
 Recently had a little break in Yorkshire where the skies were very clear at night, no light pollution, and it was great to see so many stars again. My 12 year old lad was amazed when I told him it wasn't whispy cloud he could see but the combined light of millions of stars as you look towards the centre of our galaxy.

I'm planning to get a 5x Barlow lense eventually, but for now the 2x will do.

I'd read up on that first mate, remember Patrick Moore saying years ago that he didn't really recommend Barlow's because they tended to take some clarity out of the image. 5X seems a bit much, although quality may have improved over the years I suppose.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2011, 03:03:22 am »
Another clear (mostly) sky tonight and this time a chance for me to take my telescope and laptop outside to get a clearer view of the Moon. I also did a little planet hunting as Uranus, Neptune and Jupiter were all aligned with the Moon relatively high in the sky. However my searches for Uranus and Neptune ended in failure unfortunately as Uranus was obscured by the glare of the Moon and Neptune was just too difficult for me to find. I did catch Jupiter for a moment before clouds obscured it again, unfortunately it was not with my Barlow lens, which would have given me a bigger shot at it (supposed to see the Galilean Moons with it). Some of it is a little shaky because I'm still getting used to using the camera with the laptop attached to the telescope and any movement of the telescope, laptop or camera wire running between them, has a profound effect on the stability of the image. But I'm glad I got some clearer shots of the Moon, which was spectacularly bright tonight.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yI2-FSAsPA4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yI2-FSAsPA4</a>

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2011, 11:31:39 pm »
Great that mate, lovely images.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2011, 02:54:15 am »
Cheers John. I had another successful night tonight and managed to get a GREAT view of Jupiter, including the Galilean Moons.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hBddfehIOJU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hBddfehIOJU</a>

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2011, 03:54:55 pm »
Would love it if you could do a bit of Saturn mate!  ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2011, 08:34:40 pm »
Would love it if you could do a bit of Saturn mate!  ;D

It's defo on my list, but it'll have to wait unfortunately. It's just not visible at the right times at this time of year where I am. It's up during the day for the next couple of months.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2011, 08:44:01 pm »
It's defo on my list, but it'll have to wait unfortunately. It's just not visible at the right times at this time of year where I am. It's up during the day for the next couple of months.

Where do you live mate? Do you get nice clear skies or do you suffer from light pollution?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: August 18, 2011, 10:28:02 pm »
Where do you live mate? Do you get nice clear skies or do you suffer from light pollution?

I was literally aiming my telescope past a streetlight to get all those videos mate. Middle of a town in Scotland. Loads of light pollution, although it's better out my back garden. Hardly ever get clear skies here, as you would likely guess, so when I see one I take advantage. I had to wait until half one am to get that latest one, with my telescope out in the front path like a numpty.

Offline jaffod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: August 18, 2011, 10:49:52 pm »
I was literally aiming my telescope past a streetlight to get all those videos mate. Middle of a town in Scotland. Loads of light pollution, although it's better out my back garden. Hardly ever get clear skies here, as you would likely guess, so when I see one I take advantage. I had to wait until half one am to get that latest one, with my telescope out in the front path like a numpty.

:)

Remember that one well mate, I had a massive pair of Hilkinson binoculars and always dreaded the bizzies turning up because one of the neighbours had spotted a peeping Tom in action.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2011, 10:54:16 pm »

:)

Remember that one well mate, I had a massive pair of Hilkinson binoculars and always dreaded the bizzies turning up because one of the neighbours had spotted a peeping Tom in action.

Was this before you got into astronomy? ;D

Offline jaffod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2011, 11:31:19 pm »
Was this before you got into astronomy? ;D

I'd be lying if I said the binoc's weren't dual-purpose. ;)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #148 on: September 11, 2011, 05:41:21 am »
Harvest moon tomorrow night. saw a brilliant red one tonight near me but didn't have me camera !

Offline RedRabbit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2011, 02:29:16 am »
Get your Sky Watcher out Gobias:  ;D

In April 2010, this radar image of the near-Earth asteroid 2005 YU55 was taken by the Arecibo radio telescope in Puerto Rico.

This still from a NASA animation by Jon Giorgini of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory shows the trajectory of asteroid 2005 YU55 as it passes between Earth and the moon.

All eyes are on huge asteroid buzzing Earth on Nov. 8

By Leonard David

Mark Nov. 8 on your calendar. A huge asteroid that could potentially threaten Earth in the far future will pass close by as astronomers around the world watch and measure.

This space rock is asteroid 2005 YU55, a veritable mini-world roughly 1,300 feet (400 meters) wide — nearly four football fields across — that will zoom by Earth inside the orbit of the moon.
More...

If I see clouds on the 8th I'm going to start shooting them!

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #150 on: October 28, 2011, 06:50:03 am »
Cool. It'd be awesome if you could get some pictures of that.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.