Author Topic: Michael Laudrup  (Read 8353 times)

Offline B9

• Official Mandy Moore Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
Michael Laudrup
« on: June 13, 2005, 12:22:31 pm »
just saw some old footage of him. Imo, he was one of the most brilliantly creative players of the 90s and the true inspiration in Cruyff's dream team.

He combined great technique and skill with marvelous vision and passing ability. In comparison with say Zidane, whilst Zinedine is clearly superior technically, one of my gripes with him has always been that he doesn't impose himself enough on matches week in and week out, doing the work to get him to the top of the assist charts, which was something you could count on a player like Laudrup to do.

That goal for barca where Laudrup skips past two players, lobs it just a few yarsover a third for stoichkov to lob the keeper at close range stands out to me as one of the most inpsired goals I've ever seen.

The lob and the masked pass has always been lovely trademarks of his game. I thoroughly enjoyed those two games against Nigeria and Brazil in the 98 world Cup when it seemed he was past it and then suddenly burst into life as if back in his prime. And being the architect behind one of the best goals of the tournament when he produced a masked lob to put Sand clean on goal against Nigeria seemed a fitting way to mark the end of his career.

Curious as to how highly he is rated by people here in comparison with players like Hagi, Baggio, Del Piero et al of the 90s.

Offline Terry B

• Kopite
Re: Michael Laudrup
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 02:55:30 pm »
Didn't we try and buy him twice?

He went to Juve instead.

Class player. Fantastc technique.

Offline The Magician

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 03:23:22 pm »
Class act

Offline SkyBlueRed

• Binley Boot Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sleeping giant awakens...
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 03:25:43 pm »
Superb player, definately rate him higher than the Hagi's, Del Piero's et all because he was consistently great, didnt just pop up with a magic moment every few games. His bro weren't half bad either mind ;D
Im not arrogant, im just better than you.

Julian Dicks has been everywhere ... it's like West Ham have got eleven Dicks out there.
-- Anonymous (Metro city radio)

Offline Rozzer

• Anny Roader
  • There is a light, that never goes out
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 03:45:31 pm »
Class act

Yeah we did, but Liverpool wanted to tie him for 5 years, instead for 3 like Juventus did..But he did almost sign for us in 1985 i think..With him and his mate Big Jan in the team, it would`ve been great..

Laudrup is the best danish footballer ever, and his kid brother never did reach him talent...When Laudrup where in his prime for Barcelona, he was imo the worlds greatest player and when he fell out with Cruyff, he just switched to  Real Madrid and took the La Liga title that season...He has just won the danish campionship as a manager, with Bøndby IF...
SOS Member

Offline smiggers

• Kopite
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 04:26:30 pm »
I loved watching him play.
He had everything & was consistently world class.
Made me think... was he as good as Van Basten?. (I don't think so but that's another discussion entirely)

Offline Red Lozza

• Legacy Fan
  • Miracle worker
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 04:40:19 pm »
Amazing player. The wierd thing was that Denmark won the European Championships without him!

Offline Rozzer

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 04:44:39 pm »
Amazing player. The wierd thing was that Denmark won the European Championships without him!

in the 90Žs he never did reach the level on the national team that he had in the 80Žs..IMO the reason were, that the players, with the expection of Brian Laudrup and Peter red nose, just wasn`t good enough to understand Laudrups vision of the game..However he did play some wonderful games in the world cup in 1998
SOS Member

Offline anfield_reds

• Legacy Fan
  • We're only in it for the money
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 05:05:07 pm »
M. Laudrup was my favorite player when I started watching football (his goal in the WC 86 in Mexico... genius) and remained until his retirement a few years ago.
The accuracy of his pass or his cross always amazed me. He was a real joy to watch. Shame he didn't take part in the Danish Euro 92 glory.

There is a Spanish newspaper (maybe MArca, but not sure) who still award the "El Laudrup" prize to the Real Madrid player that has been the most elegant on the pitch after a game. Most of the time, "El Laudrup" is awarded to... Zidane.

Offline B9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 05:16:26 pm »
Superb player, definately rate him higher than the Hagi's, Del Piero's et all because he was consistently great, didnt just pop up with a magic moment every few games. His bro weren't half bad either mind ;D

remember a class story. Think it was against Zaragoza, Laudrup played on the right wing that game and ripped their leftback to shreds in the first half. So at half time he came over and asked Laudrup to lay off and leave him alone.

He asked Cruyff if he could switch sides, permission granted, and then proceeded to rip their rightback to shreds in the second half. ;D

Think they won the game 5-0 too.

Offline B9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 05:19:13 pm »
M. Laudrup was my favorite player when I started watching football (his goal in the WC 86 in Mexico... genius) and remained until his retirement a few years ago.
The accuracy of his pass or his cross always amazed me. He was a real joy to watch. Shame he didn't take part in the Danish Euro 92 glory.

There is a Spanish newspaper (maybe MArca, but not sure) who still award the "El Laudrup" prize to the Real Madrid player that has been the most elegant on the pitch after a game. Most of the time, "El Laudrup" is awarded to... Zidane.

he made Zamorano top goal scorer for them. says it all really.

Think he was awarded a prize for being the best foreigner in 25 years in Spain when he was still at barca just after winning player of the year that season.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 09:01:55 pm »
Yeah Laudrup was class. A damn sight better than Brian that's for sure! :D

Offline anfield_reds

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 09:20:43 pm »
Yeah Laudrup was class. A damn sight better than Brian that's for sure! :D

Don't agree here. Brian was very good but surely not the same class as his brother.

How I wish Michael had sign for us :(

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 09:53:30 pm »
Don't agree here. Brian was very good but surely not the same class as his brother.

??? Isn't that what I said?

Offline anfield_reds

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 09:54:55 pm »
??? Isn't that what I said?

oh yeh, true .... ???

;)

Offline campioni1984

• Fancies Paul Ince
  • Legacy Fan
  • 15 April 1989 YNWA
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 10:45:49 pm »
I am still gutted we didn`t buy Laudrup.I think his Dad was his agent and we offered a 3 yr contract,he wanted 4 or 5.Was it 1984 ? Not long after Rome,then Juve came in,signed him and then sent him out on loan.Fantastic player.Met him once in Turin,in 89,he was genuinely very inquisitive about LFC,asking ME all kinds of questions about Molby, Rush etc.To be honest he was a bit of a pain! ;)
THE REDS ARE COMING UP THE HILL BOYS

Offline Terry B

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2005, 10:50:51 pm »
Once we were banned from Europe, he was never going to come. Couldn't blame him really.

I think he didn't come the first time for purely financial reasons. The Italian clubs had a lot more money than us in those days.

He would have been a fantastic signing though.

We could have had a forward line of...

Rush   Laudrup

Dalglish.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 10:53:41 pm by Terry B »

Offline Richie69

• Benefits from 20:20 hindsight because he owns a time machine and a perfect decision making brain.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2005, 01:35:11 am »
I dont agree about Laudrup being worse than Zidane, watch the world cup 86, he is absolutely wonderful, and easily as good as zidan was in 2002 for example

Even with Barca in the 90s he was till exceptional, wonderful player

Offline B9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2005, 11:54:30 am »
I dont agree about Laudrup being worse than Zidane, watch the world cup 86, he is absolutely wonderful, and easily as good as zidan was in 2002 for example

Even with Barca in the 90s he was till exceptional, wonderful player

it was with barca he reached his peak.

Offline Red Lozza

• Legacy Fan
  • Miracle worker
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2005, 11:59:13 am »
Michael Laudrup during his peak:

Offline Richie69

• Benefits from 20:20 hindsight because he owns a time machine and a perfect decision making brain.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2005, 06:44:19 pm »
it was with barca he reached his peak.

No, it was in the mid 80s where he was at his absolute best

Offline Devastatin' Dave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2005, 07:01:57 pm »
I really want a retro football shirt, and a old denmark one seems an option, if i can find one.

Offline B9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2005, 07:18:13 pm »
No, it was in the mid 80s where he was at his absolute best

what can I say except you haven't seen him enough at barca then.

There is not a soul in the country of Denmark who would not say that Laudrup was at his very best playing under Cruyff, including himself.

Offline JMarsh

• Wise beyond his years
  • Legacy Fan
  • Girls Aloud fan.
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2005, 08:50:28 pm »
Superb player, but I think Zidane is still the better player. Not by much, though.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2005, 10:28:47 pm »
Which Laudrup was it who was at Chelsea very briefly? Think it was Brian but im not sure, think he was only there a couple of months if that.
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline B9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2005, 10:35:18 pm »
it was Brian.

Shame really. He was at the peak of his ability when he came to Chelsea. Had it all at the time. Pace, skill, great crosser and scored a fair few goals as well. should have been a star in the prem.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2005, 10:40:42 pm »
Michael Laudrup was fantastic. Maybe Rafa can unearth the Spanish Laudrup? ;D
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline B9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2005, 11:09:35 pm »
Michael Laudrup was fantastic. Maybe Rafa can unearth the Spanish Laudrup? ;D

well Garcia has said that Laudrup is the player he has modelled his game on. :)

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2005, 11:15:10 pm »
Nah, Garcia is the Spanish Zidane but more flexible.

Heh, I spent all of last season pissing my Real supporting mate off with "Luis is better than Zidane".

At the end of the season I said "so, which one has a CL winners' medal this season?" ;D
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline SGTBabbel

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2005, 06:34:43 pm »
just to go off point slightly, i never saw Michael play that much- i grew up at a time when Brian Laudrup was more in the limelight, and i thought he was one heck of a player!

he absolutely played an absolute blinder against Brazil in the 1998 world cup

Offline Peeker

• Blames Rafa for fucking up Johnson deal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Simply Magnificent
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2005, 03:37:47 pm »
He was a fucking great player...we were close to signing in the mid 80's i think.

Was watching a old video of the 86 World Cup the other day...Maradona is just quite simply the best player ever by a fucking mile....

Laudrup is amongst those heavily featured, along with Enzo Francescoli (Uruguay),  Butragueno (Spain),  Rummenigge (Germany) and Platini (France).

Laudrup was awesome in his pomp..he must have loved playing with Big Jan!!

Offline Rozzer

• Anny Roader
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2005, 04:19:05 pm »
He was a fucking great player...we were close to signing in the mid 80's i think.

Was watching a old video of the 86 World Cup the other day...Maradona is just quite simply the best player ever by a fucking mile....

Laudrup is amongst those heavily featured, along with Enzo Francescoli (Uruguay),  Butragueno (Spain),  Rummenigge (Germany) and Platini (France).

Laudrup was awesome in his pomp..he must have loved playing with Big Jan!!

Big Jan and Laudrup is still the best of mates....I remember i a book i read on Michael Laudrup, that Laudrup said that while he (Laudrup) where a red-wine man...Big Jan was more of an Ale man..But then again we all knew that ;D....But they were both fucking class players...And Laudrup in his prime, were as good as all the greatest players in the history of the game
SOS Member

Offline Richie69

• Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2005, 03:01:11 pm »
what can I say except you haven't seen him enough at barca then.

There is not a soul in the country of Denmark who would not say that Laudrup was at his very best playing under Cruyff, including himself.

He was impressive at Barca (desptite them strangely releasing him in 1994), but he was wonderful at Juve and for Denmark in the mid 80s, especially at the '86 world cup)

Offline B9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2005, 04:04:05 pm »
he was released because the 3-foreigner rule limit forced Cruyff to rotate between Stoichkov, Romario, Laudrup and Koeman.

Laudrup was the one least happy with that and fell out with Cruyff. Not wanting to go back to Italy, there weren't really any other clubs big enough for him save Real so he went there to collect his 5th la liga trophy on the trot instead.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #34 on: February 3, 2012, 04:56:28 pm »
Came across this today.

Laudrup, Zidane, Iniesta.

All share the same playing style. some of the stuff are just unbelievable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlPnFywMFhk

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #35 on: February 4, 2012, 08:09:07 am »
If I had to describe Laudrup in one word? ... limited would be that word.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 4, 2012, 09:20:42 am »
Came across this today.

Laudrup, Zidane, Iniesta.

All share the same playing style. some of the stuff are just unbelievable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlPnFywMFhk
My favourite player ever, no one I have enjoyed watching more. I've seen the comparison between Iniesta, Laudrup and Zidane before, Iniesta is like a cross between the other two, but in my biased opinion, Laudrup was the best of the bunch. The only thing Zidane (in terms of acheivement) have over him is the World Cup of course. But it's not really fair to compare France, with that world class defence and superb midfield, with Denmark. Sure, they had some great players, in -86 especially, but in -98 Laudrup's only decent teammates were basically his brother and Schmeichel in goal. And yet he was among the best players of the tournament, at 34-35 years of age and they nearly knocked out Brazil in the quarterfinal. Truly brilliant player.

If I had to describe Laudrup in one word? ... limited would be that word.
???

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #37 on: February 4, 2012, 09:37:31 am »
???

..... strictly to quality only - the kind most footballers dream of.. :D

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2017, 11:06:25 am »
link to this in today's Guardian

Michael Laudrup: a portrait of an icon

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/nov/21/michael-laudrup-portrait-of-an-icon-denmark-barcelona-real-madrid#img-3

Warning once you start watching it's hard to stop, and it's 2 hours long!

Rushie introduces him at 3.00 mins and loaded kicks in

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9zUsCZvol-I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9zUsCZvol-I</a>
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:08:08 am by kavah »

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2017, 06:08:17 pm »
What a player. He is one of the underrated greats, certainly better than some of the past Golden Ball winners.