Author Topic: LFC Likely to be fined for their fans retaliation - Todays papers  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
From todays Guardian

http://football.guardian.co.uk/championsleague200405/story/0,15008,1460422,00.html

Uefa may fine Reds over fans praised by Turin police

Dominic Fifield and Paolo Menicucci in Turin
Friday April 15, 2005
The Guardian

Liverpool are braced to be fined by Uefa for the part their supporters played in the disturbances inside Stadio della Alpi on Wednesday night.

Police in Turin last night praised the behaviour of the travelling fans despite trouble between Italians in the stadium's curva nord and Liverpool fans in the lower tier.

Bottles and seats were initially hurled among the visiting supporters but other missiles were returned. A number of flares were also fired into the Merseyside fans at the end of the match.

hat Liverpool were retaliating is unlikely to see them spared a fine. Uefa expects to receive its security officer's report today, with a fine - probably nominal - expected to follow. "So far we haven't opened any disciplinary procedure but it is correct that usually a club would be fined if their supporters were throwing missiles in the stadium," a Uefa spokesperson confirmed.

Liverpool were fined £2,000 in February 2001 after some fans retaliated by throwing missiles back at Roma supporters during the 2-0 Uefa Cup win at Stadio Olympico, a sanction described at the time by the chief executive Rick Parry as "nonsensical and draconian".

The Uefa spokesperson added: "If it was the first time this happened to this club, maybe it would be only a warning. The action taken would depend on the number of missiles thrown."

Only three Juve supporters were arrested for throwing objects during Wednesday's match, with Turin police scrutinising television footage before and during the game before considering whether further action should be taken.

"We are very satisfied with the way things went," said Cecilia Tartoni, a spokeswoman for the Turin police. "The Liverpool fans behaved well. They respected all the rules and they didn't react to the heavy provocation directed at them by Juve fans."

In Rome the Italian interior ministry finally ran out of patience with the growing trend of football-related violence by introducing a series of "zero tolerance" measures, effective immediately, including the abandonment of games and automatic 3-0 defeats imposed on teams whose fans are found guilty of throwing missiles from the stands.

Yesterday under the headline "In Turin the ultras' vendetta", La Repubblica reported: "Playing war for one hour throwing Molotov cocktails, stones and screws. They were not the 'hooligans'. They were all Juventus fans, Italian young boys who came here to keep their promises of vendetta."
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline Ian-TN

• The slightly shop spoiled Jon Hall
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC Likely to be fined for their fans retaliation - Todays papers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 12:46:55 am »
Liverpool were fined £2,000 in February 2001 after some fans retaliated by throwing missiles back at Roma supporters during the 2-0 Uefa Cup win at Stadio Olympico, a sanction described at the time by the chief executive Rick Parry as "nonsensical and draconian".

Never knew we was fined for that. Anyone remember if Roma got fined for it as well?

Expected this really cos yer know what uefa are like but it's pathetic on there part.
To an interpreter, regarding excited Italian journalists:
'Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say.'

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 12:47:13 am »
From the Telegraph

England expects more fireworks from semi-final
By Henry Winter in Turin
(Filed: 15/04/2005)

In pictures: Champions league quarter-finals

The Premier League reacted with delight yesterday at the progress of two English teams to the Champions League semi-finals. "Chelsea and Liverpool have shown there is a sophistication to the English game that hitherto the Europeans have poured scorn on," said a Premier League spokesman, Dan Johnson.

"It gives the lie to the myth that the Premiership is all about bluff and bluster, that there is no technique or defensive nous in it," added Johnson. "We are high-profile anyway, being screened in 195 countries, but the success of Chelsea and Liverpool in Europe is an endorsement of the aims and objectives of the Premier League, which is the pursuit of excellence."

Much of this pursuit of excellence has been shaped by foreign managers, such as the inspirational Jose Mourinho at Chelsea and the understated but hugely influential Rafael Benitez with Liverpool. Many of the players who will contest the first leg at Stamford Bridge on April 27 and Anfield's second leg on May 3 also hail from overseas.

Yet three of those on view, Liverpool's Steven Gerrard and the Chelsea pair of John Terry and Frank Lampard, are English and their season-long excellence was saluted yesterday when they were named on the Professional Footballers' Association shortlist for Player of the Year. Chelsea's Petr Cech is also among the six, as are Crystal Palace's England international, Andy Johnson, and Arsenal's Thierry Henry. Terry is favourite, hotly pursued by Lampard. Liverpool centre-half Jamie Carragher failed to make the list but has enjoyed an outstanding year.

For all their European success, Carragher's club have failed to impress domestically, particularly away from home, and it is only half in humour that fans are suggesting Liverpool should base themselves on the Continent before visiting Chelsea.

Gerrard will be back, doubtless burning to make up for his own goal in the Carling Cup final defeat by Chelsea. It will be interesting to see whether Igor Biscan shrinks back into Gerrard's colossal shadow again; the Croatian midfielder often delivers his most assertive displays when Gerrard is absent.

If Benitez's side upset the odds and reach the Istanbul final, Anfield will brace itself for a stream of "Rafa for Real" stories flowing from Spain. Benitez is much admired in Madrid, not simply for his impressive work at Valencia but for his time as a junior coach for Real.

The road to Istanbul witnessed some ugly ambushes in Piedmont and particularly Lombardy this week, highlighting the fan trouble scarring Italian football. In Turin, Liverpool supporters had around five flares launched at them. In Milan the previous evening, AC's goalkeeper, Dida, was hit by a flare thrown by an Inter fan.

To combat such mayhem, the Italian government yesterday announced legislation that would force a match to be immediately abandoned if missiles are thrown, with the miscreant fans seeing their side penalised with an automatic 3-0 loss. It will be interesting to see whether such measures are enforceable. An Inter supporter could enter the Milan end, launch a missile and get his rivals punished.

After confirming yesterday that Milan will progress from the abandoned tie, UEFA will today decree the length of Inter's exile from Europe. Like the Italian clubs, UEFA are hardly blameless, having allowed the excesses of the tifosi to go unchecked for some years.

UEFA admit to a frustration that the nine-inch-long fireworks are successfully smuggled into grounds. Italian ingenuity knows no bounds; fans buy ham baguettes en route to matches, remove the meat, insert the firework and saunter through the turnstiles confident that hard-pressed stewards are unlikely to inspect refreshments. Another tifosi trick is to ask girlfriends to carry fireworks through, knowing only male fans get searched.

Newcastle followers have been on the receiving end of flares, lighters, coins and bottles thrown by Inter supporters in recent years; offences that rarely occur in the Premiership. In Turin, Liverpool fans received warm praise from the Italian authorities yesterday. "The Liverpool fans behaved very well," said Cecilia Tartoni, of the Turin police. "They respected all the rules and did not react to the heavy provocation directed at them by Juventus fans."

The English generally cannot completely claim the moral high ground against the Italians. Serie A has been blighted by hooliganism, yet the Italians tend not to export trouble. When Milan met Juventus in the European Cup final at Old Trafford in 2003, there were four arrests, all of them English.

The security focus now switches to the May 25 final. Given recent Anglo-Turkish tensions, the authorities in Istanbul must have been queuing to throw themselves off the Bosphorus Bridge on learning the English were coming. Whether Liverpool or Chelsea, Turkey can expect an invasion numbering at least 20,000 excited English fans.

With a possible Manchester United-Arsenal FA Cup final and the European Cup climax certain to enjoy an English hue, either the blue of Chelsea or red of Liverpool, the season looks like ending in spectacular fashion.
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline codger

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 03:58:02 am »
"of those on view.. STEVEN GERRARD"

Huh?
Don't these people watch the games?
(Or read their own paper?)

Par for the course that sG would be nominated; but not Carra
But it's a bit disappointing , coming from his fellow pros; you'd think they would Know better.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 04:06:11 am »
Minimal fine, all right. They really should not have retaliated - whatever the provocation, EXCEPT in self-defense. But I wasn't there, so perhaps I have no rights to opinions here.

I'd say the Ultras would have gotten their own punishment with the 'help' Inter of bringing to matter to light. The Italian FA simply cannot ignore it now that millions in the world had witnessed the temporal (permanent?) lost of sanity.

Turn the other (butt) cheek, I say.
An eye for an eye and we will all be blind in the end.

We did our best for the sake of apology and friendship, it's up to them to accept it.
As Keane mentioned in his displeasure over the Manc setup,

"You can bring a horse to water, but you cannot force it to drink".
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 07:48:13 am »
Minimal fine, all right. They really should not have retaliated - whatever the provocation, EXCEPT in self-defense.

Agreed. But Juve should get fined a thousand times more.
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline Clayton Moore rides again ©

• Anny Roader
  • docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 11:10:32 am »
mad
Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe.

Journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 11:19:12 am »
I'm just glad the whole sorry affair is over.
It was always gonna be hard to offer the hand of friendship to those that live by the "Vendetta"
I would'n't be upset if we never played an italian side ever again.
Troubles in the past were not restricted to Turin, we've also had scrapes with Rome and Milan.

They tried their utmost to get our fans going, I'm just glad our fans didn't rise to the baiting that was showed on tv.
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline applehead2k1

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 11:55:17 am »
I'm just glad the whole sorry affair is over.
It was always gonna be hard to offer the hand of friendship to those that live by the "Vendetta"
I would'n't be upset if we never played an italian side ever again.
Troubles in the past were not restricted to Turin, we've also had scrapes with Rome and Milan.

They tried their utmost to get our fans going, I'm just glad our fans didn't rise to the baiting that was showed on tv.

Problem is it could be even worse - Liverpool/Milan in Istanbul - thats just asking for trouble - English fans (NOT Liverpool fans) are often a pain in the arse at big events - Italian fans have already caused 2 game abandanments this season alone in th CL - add on the whole Heysel thing as well (and lets be hones tit WILL be dragged up again if it is us/Milan) plus the wildcard of Turkish fans who seem to hate the english with a passion

tell ya what if both Milan and Liverpool get through Uefa will be doing there nut

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 12:04:10 pm »
I thought we had a good relationship with Milan fans - don't they sing YNWA and have done since '89?

Either way, I'm sure IF we get there, it'll be fine.

And I agree with UEFA that we should be fined - although of course the instigators should be fined more.
I don't want to see our fans squaring up inside a stadium, and I don't want to see them throwing bottles - even if it's throwing them back.  A moral victory was there for the taking on Wednesday, i'm not sure we claimed it.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline applehead2k1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 12:11:24 pm »
I thought we had a good relationship with Milan fans - don't they sing YNWA and have done since '89?

Didn't know about that - if so great - makes me feel a bit easier about the situation

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 12:14:45 pm »
Liverpool fans have a good relationship with Galatasaray fans - most of them support as as a second club.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline janmolbyslovechild

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 12:43:26 pm »
Liverpool fans have a good relationship with Galatasaray fans - most of them support as as a second club.

i've heard this mentioned a few times, how did this come about? and is the relationship good enough to get them supporting us in the final, should we get there?

is the final at there stadium?
Great days have gone, more will come!!!

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 12:50:56 pm »
No final is at the national stadium. Just turns out that many Turkish fans watch English football and we seem to be the team of choice of Gala fans.

When we played them in 2002 we did a lot of work with their fan group, UltrAslan, is the lead up to the game trying to knock on the head the media's obsession with trouble between English and Turkish fans.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline applehead2k1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005, 01:07:03 pm »
trying to knock on the head the media's obsession with trouble between English and Turkish fans.

In fairness though in this case its not just the media stirring up whats not there - when the national teams played in the last qualifier there was trouble and of course the 2 leeds fans stabbed to death over there

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Modern football is shit
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2005, 01:16:15 pm »
In fairness though in this case its not just the media stirring up whats not there - when the national teams played in the last qualifier there was trouble and of course the 2 leeds fans stabbed to death over there

Whereas when we played Galatasary it was the best Euro away I ever went on, and there's been some good ones. Great craic with Gala - and Fenerbache - fans.

Offline applehead2k1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2005, 01:23:06 pm »
Whereas when we played Galatasary it was the best Euro away I ever went on, and there's been some good ones. Great craic with Gala - and Fenerbache - fans.

Well if we get there i juts hope to god you and Rushian are correct and its a great atmosphere and i'm wrong (and the fact youve been and I haven't means that i trust your opinions more than mine on this subject)

Thanks you the info guys :)