Author Topic: Best Rafa quotes so far?  (Read 233643 times)

Offline Scouser_Ste

• Hairy & Furry
  • Kopite
  • Rockin' All Over The World
Best Rafa quotes so far?
« on: January 27, 2005, 08:42:44 am »
Just wonderin what you lot think, has been Rafa's best/funniest quotes so far as reds boss?

Offline kneejerk

• Anny Roader
  • talking with the heart, not the brain
Re: Best Rafa quotes so far?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 09:05:54 am »
"talk to carra, if you can understand him you can understand anyone."

rafa suggesting morientes plunge in at the deep end.
would like javier bardem to do the coin tosses at anfield

Offline khalilur

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 09:27:11 am »
The one about the tables with four legs.... Or was it 3 legs? Oh well, something close to that, anyway...  ;D

Offline Mikie

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 12:07:44 pm »
Am not sure of this is right but he once said "you don't build a house arond your window/s or something". 

brilliant.....
We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 12:11:59 pm »
"We had many possibilities"

Always make me laugh as he says it nearly everytime he talks post-game!
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline worthers

• originals
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 01:05:20 pm »
"you don't build a house arond your window/s ". 

brilliant.....

class  ;D
"We can not walk alone" Martin Luther King 1963

In nine years, Paisley won three European Cups, a Uefa Cup, six League titles and three League Cups. He won three European Cups in nine years, while Mr Ferguson has managed two in 24.

Offline docker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 01:11:29 pm »
makes me laugh rafa, dont you think he speaks double dutch, also a bit like raneri, you feel the hacks dont want to hurt him to his face?
block 107

Offline neilem

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 01:35:57 pm »
"This is Anfield, they say you'll never walk alone... it's true!"

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 01:48:32 pm »
Something to do with "mentality", probably....
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 02:00:18 pm »
I played the senior players against Waford, but the performance wasint as good as the kids performances

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 02:25:31 pm »

Yeah, but all "intensity". ;D

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 05:14:07 pm »
after a convincing win in any game (most notably west brom games, norwhich at home, etc):
"we scored a few goals, but could have scored more"

brilliant  ;D
i actually post "rafa's quote of the day" when he says something clever, on .tv. even though it's quote of the day i've only ever done it about 5 times in the past few months  ;D.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Throxenby

• Has a date with Fat Frank sometime in 2007
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 05:38:33 pm »
Am not sure of this is right but he once said "you don't build a house arond your window/s or something". 

brilliant.....

wasnt it you dont sell your house to pay for the windows ?
no link but thegist was that. (or was pissed and misread/heard)
God bless the skywashed for they know not what they do.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 05:41:56 pm »
wasnt it you dont sell your house to pay for the windows ?
no link but thegist was that. (or was pissed and misread/heard)

thats what i thought- something about selling house to buy windows, other "sayings" similar and more understandable are:

"don't sell your car to buy petrol"
"don't sell your mobile to buy credit"

;D
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 05:47:11 pm »
"this is anfield and you'll never walk alone"
total class

Offline neilem

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2005, 06:30:45 pm »
"this is anfield and you'll never walk alone"
total class
Was that in the post-match interview after the Olympiakos game? I'm near sure he said this instead..
"This is Anfield, they say you'll never walk alone... it's true!"

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2005, 06:33:01 pm »
"But we have a saying in Spain that you never sell the house to buy a window. You don't spend more money than you have."

My favourite (although it pre-dates him joining LFC) is the 'I asked for a sofa and was bought a lamp'.

I think Ranieri was accidentally comical but Rafa can be deliberately funny and very cutting, but tones it down a bit. I look forward to him being more expansive, which I think he will be when he's won a few things.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2005, 06:46:41 pm »
Benitez said that Valencia director Manuel Lloren was ’a scorpion’ and added: "He would put a syringe in your neck to be sure he extracted the last drop out of people."
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2005, 07:00:07 pm »
makes me laugh rafa, dont you think he speaks double dutch, also a bit like raneri, you feel the hacks dont want to hurt him to his face?

sometimes he must miss-understand questions -  but answers anyway, with something that just doesn't fit in with the question  ;D It's great, maybe I do him a disservice - and he's doing it on purpose, but probably not - YET!

After his early season furniture obsession, he moved onto jackets for a while with a couple quotes.

"It's easier if you've got the money to go into the transfer market. Imagine if you want to buy a jacket, if you have £1000 you can buy a good jacket, but if you have £10,000 you can buy the best"

And asked about this quotes and the many different jackets he wears - in an interview in LFC mag he said

" I am very bad with the clothes, my wife says 'Ok, I need to change your jackets from Spain because in England its different'. She has bought a lot of jackets".

;D

He's sometimes witty without being a characature, like a couple coaches are - Ranieri being one.  But most of the time he's pretty serious, which is good.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 07:03:02 pm by Benitez »
"Stay humble. Work harder than the other team every game, and work harder in practice. Take nothing for granted, especially on a day like today. How could you? It’s a gift to be playing in this league, a gift to walk the planet. So you know what, leave it on the ice every single night and let the results take care of themselves"

Offline Coady

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2005, 07:58:43 pm »
"he has a good mentality and will give us more possibilities" excellent one

The other one is about a having a table and he has just brought a leg for the table, or something similar.  ???
"When you hear the noise of the Bill Shankly boys,
We'll be coming down the road"

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2005, 09:19:38 pm »
"I asked for a sofa and they brought me a lamp"

I know it was during his time with Valencia, but that one is class.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline chrisbonnie

• Kemlynite
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2005, 11:13:29 pm »
when asked after the defeat to Bolton he was asked

"how do you deal with defeats" i think he said something like "i didnt lose alot in Valencia, i dont plan on losing too many here either" quality from a man with broken english

but he`s certainly a funny character, you see him in press conferences, especially before the transfer window, he just had a joke with the reporters everytime they mentioned transfers, very funny to watch
Rafa Bentiez : "People never remember the seconds. The third places always enjoy it more than the second. The third wins a bronze, but the second loses the gold medal."

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2005, 11:28:58 pm »
10,000 pound jacket! the lives of the people in football hey  ;D

Offline notyouraverage

• Kopite
  • and the winner is..........me
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2005, 02:57:42 am »
its also funny how he says nothing like when we score and everyone goes crazy and he decides to check the time

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2005, 03:26:43 am »
"we controlled the game in the second half"

Offline Tim-Cross

• The Banner's 5th Beatle - And a Tit (by order of Reeves and ChrisR)
  • Legacy Fan
  • beware of big birds.
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2005, 10:06:44 am »

;D ;D

Yup
"Well, Liverpool haven't done much for a very long time but they can still remember.  And last night, they remembered, and the force of their memories was strong enough to bring the past to life"

Offline COR

• Kopite
  • 2 Times RAWK World Texas Holdem Champion
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2005, 10:48:05 am »
its also funny how he says nothing like when we score and everyone goes crazy and he decides to check the time

Yeah, and the old wink and thumbs up when we played Arsenal.

Offline castleman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2005, 12:59:41 pm »
Not a quote as such, but my favourite moment was when that steward gave him a massive bear hug at the end of the Olympiakos game and Rafa just clapped him on the back.
This signature has been replaced by a PIN.

Offline Paul Ando

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Back Anfield Arnie.
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2005, 01:49:07 pm »
Was Rafa the first to say "We fucking hate Millwall" ? because thats been a classic this season... :D
***** BBA! BBA! BBA! BBA! BBA!*****

Offline codger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2005, 02:25:29 pm »
Never wuite sure with Raf whether he has

1. Really misunderstood the question
2. pertendedto misunderstand, cso he could ignore it
3. had no intention of responding to anything the no-mark said; just say what he wantes to

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2005, 03:07:04 pm »
Apparently he's quoted in the Echo today as praising the taxi drivers for being very clued up about the footy. Not seen the relevant bit 'online' yet. The icliverpool site as a Chris Bascombe article but not the whole piece...

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2005, 03:10:16 pm »
Apparently he's quoted in the Echo today as praising the taxi drivers for being very clued up about the footy. Not seen the relevant bit 'online' yet. The icliverpool site as a Chris Bascombe article but not the whole piece...

Fans driving Benitez on Jan 28 2005
Exclusive By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

NEWSPAPERS? Phone-in shows? Ex-players? Rafa Benitez has swiftly discovered a true barometer of opinion on Merseyside, there is only one reliable source.

"Taxi drivers know best," said the Liverpool manager, reflecting on his first 'rollercoaster' week in the Anfield hotseat.

"One of my staff told me he'd taken three taxi rides during the last few days, and the driver of each told him the same thing. He said the fans know the new manager needs time and they have every confidence the future will be better."

Such reassurance may have been needed much earlier in Benitez's reign than he thought.

Defeats to Burnley and Southampton provoked the Rafalution's first wave of hysteria, with progress into the League Cup Final restoring calm.

Far from being surprised by the erratic responses within a hectic fortnight, Benitez anticipated it.

"I spoke with a friend of mine in Spain today. He said 'first you were having a bad week, now you've had a good week'," said Benitez.

"In football, it's always the same. A lot of people have short memories. When we defeated Arsenal and Olympiakos, everyone was talking about Liverpool playing their best football for a long time.

"After last weekend, it was different. This is a normal reaction.

"The supporters understand we need to be compared to the first year of other managers, not the last year when they have completed a long period of work.

"I'm sure if you look at our record in our first season, it compares favourably even with the first six months of some of the most successful managers in this country. To reach a League Cup final immediately is a good start."

With Liverpool facing current darlings of the chattering classes, Chelsea, next month, Benitez knows not everyone will readily highlight this point.

The contrasting coverage of both club's passage to Wales was noted by the Liverpool boss.

His so-called 'lucky' side progressed with the aid of 'one man', while a perfect Chelsea team swept aside all before them, somehow managing to avoid tripping over Jose Mourinho's halo en route.

It's all so familiar to him. "The big newspapers in Spain are in Madrid and Barcelona, so the other clubs rely on their local newspapers to give them support. It's the same here," said Benitez.

"There are more London newspapers than Liverpool ones, so I prefer to read the ECHO, which is supportive. It's a pity they can't read it in London.

"Just like in Valencia, I know there are always going to be some journalists who don't like my team. We have a saying in Spain which is the same in England: 'Never let the truth get in the way of a good story'. The truth of our situation was not reflected in many of the things I have heard this week.

"Of course I like to hear what people have to say and want to know what they think, but I won't waste my time listening to what everyone says or reading what everyone writes.

"I'm only interested in listening to the people who want the best for Liverpool Football Club, no-one else.

"They are always with us. It is they who motivate us. To me, the most important thing is my players and the supporters.

"Those who criticise us without a proper argument, I won't listen to. I will just concentrate on my job. In the end, if we win, those people who criticise will change their minds and those who've always been with us will be happiest."

So what of the prospect of facing Chelsea in Cardiff? Benitez and Mourinho took over their respective clubs at the same time.

With the Portuguese man's honeymoon threatening to last longer than a golden wedding, how sweet would it be for the Liverpool man to get his hands on silverware before his mega-rich rival?

"Chelsea have a lot of money and you can't compare their progress to us," says Benitez.

"I said before their game with Manchester I had no preference for one team over another.

"Now we have Chelsea and we can start to prepare. We know we are playing a very good team.

"It will be difficult for us, but I'm sure we will make it difficult for them too.

"It's good we have a lot of time before the game. I've never been to the Millennium Stadium before, but I've been told it's fantastic and the atmosphere in the ground is also perfect. I'm looking forward to it."

Benitez says it will make him proud to lead a Liverpool side out at Cardiff so soon into his reign.

"I'm very proud each day I'm Liverpool manager, whether I'm leading the team, signing autographs or meeting the supporters," he said.

"I know to be manager of Liverpool Football Club is very important. There are a lot of people who respect us. It is a privilege for me to be here."

Liverpool are in a final, his injury hit-squad has much needed rest this weekend (even if they'd rather have a game) and the smile is back on the faces of the staff at Melwood.

Apart from that, if a friendly Spanish bloke gets into their cab, taxi drivers across the city know what to say to be assured of a healthy tip.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/
"Stay humble. Work harder than the other team every game, and work harder in practice. Take nothing for granted, especially on a day like today. How could you? It’s a gift to be playing in this league, a gift to walk the planet. So you know what, leave it on the ice every single night and let the results take care of themselves"

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2005, 03:17:22 pm »
Thanks. Wasn't there until just now....

;D   :wave

Offline Redordead

• Legacy Fan
  • Rarely visits North Korea these days
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2005, 03:24:29 pm »

"It's easier if you've got the money to go into the transfer market. Imagine if you want to buy a jacket, if you have £1000 you can buy a good jacket, but if you have £10,000 you can buy the best"

I thought it was Mourinho who said that about jackets?  On the BBC website ahead of the last Chelsea game?   Maybe I misread...

Houses smell of mushy peas, cat piss, dope and (in the more extreme cases in West Yorks) ammunition.  Wives look like scarred pitbull terriers.  Children are feral, resembling hungry monkeys.  Bloke wears vests a lot.  Tracksuit bottoms.  Slippers.  Few tattoos.  Wishes he'd joined the army, pretends he was a Para.  Spends too much time wanking...

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2005, 03:26:31 pm »
I thought it was Mourinho who said that about jackets?  On the BBC website ahead of the last Chelsea game?   Maybe I misread...

no, defo Rafa.

Offline codger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2005, 05:32:08 pm »
MM. I thought it was Mourinho too
Seems like the sort to spend 10 grand on a jacket.  Doubt Mrs Montse would splash out like that.

Offline misskopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2005, 07:34:14 pm »
*bump* Should add the latest ones on here ;D

"Anfield had surpassed the noise level of Stamford Bridge half an hour before kick-off and the Kop was only a quarter full. Packed, it proved an awesome 12th man." Andy Hunter

Offline djibril

• wishes he had chosen a better username
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2005, 07:50:08 pm »
I'm a big fan of the way he never used the ling injury list excuse that he would've had every right to use (and which was used too frequently by his predecessor).  Instead after one bad spell he simply said:

"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it"

"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it" - Rafael Benitez

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2005, 07:51:01 pm »
I dont speak to carra cause i dont understand him  :D
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline Jaron

• RAWK's Poet Laureate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Ready in 6 minutes
    • http://twitter.com/jaroncollis
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2005, 08:07:14 pm »
Remember after we lost at Old Trafford, and everyone was laying into Rafa for adopting zonal marking? (Where are they now?)

After the game, a blood-hungry hack snidely asked Rafa El Rojo whether the team would be working to improve their marking during the next few days.
His answer:
"No, we're at home this weekend, so we'll be working on our attack"

That Saturday: Liverpool 3, Norwich 0.
"We go again."