Author Topic: Liverpool 0-1 Birmingham, post-match comments, analysis and reports  (Read 5179 times)

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
bollocks  :no

Big setback lost a lot of ground with that one

To the guys who watched the match - Was Pongolle that bad to be taken off so early?
« Last Edit: November 6, 2004, 05:23:06 pm by Rushian »
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
Re: Liverpool 0-1 Birmingham, post-match comments, analysis and reports
« Reply #1 on: November 6, 2004, 04:58:17 pm »
Fuck is right. Setback.

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #2 on: November 6, 2004, 05:03:55 pm »
Pongolle didn't do too much but he wasn't too bad either.  Blame it on the slippery surfaces.

Frankly Birmingham has only 1 shot at goal (if you count that as a shot) and won 1-0.  We had 7 shot at goal and 2 goal-line clearances (1 with hand) so what can you say.

However it has been so clear that we are lacking of strikers -- I think with Baros back we will be better, but if Kewell and Pongolle ready wants their place in the team I think they had better start delivering.

The plus points is Hyypia, Alonso and Luis Garcia all did well. 
We won it 6 times

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #3 on: November 6, 2004, 05:06:23 pm »
BTW did anyone thinks Kirkland is to blame for Birmingham's goal?  First it should be his ball but he stayed on the line, and if you are to palm the ball, palm it over the bar or over the line?

Anyway I am not too down-hearted about this result. 
We won it 6 times

Offline CanAdrian

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: November 6, 2004, 05:09:18 pm »
Ay, FSP seemed a little off the pace, not handling the surface or tight marking well.  Never could use his pace.  Too many balls skitting away from poor control (Stand up Harry Kewell...) to give away possession in the final 3rd.  Josemi giveaway led to counter attack to the corner that was taken short (and not defended) - Savage had ages on the ball and put in a dangerous cross and I won't say any more about the rest.
Garcia looked a bit soft today.  Hamman battled - decent.  Alonso very good, despite the tightness and harrying from Brum in the midfield.
Lack of strikers showed today.  But still should have won  :no  Had enough chances to win, and I was already out of my seat cheering when Garcia blazed over in the first half.  I'm missing half me hair from tearing it out.  Was that kind of a game.  Maybe midweek vs. DLC sapped everyone a bit.
Looking forward to getting over these bloody injuries...

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 6, 2004, 05:10:45 pm »
Its a big blow today  :'(

Off to get drunk

Offline CanAdrian

• Kemlynite
« Reply #6 on: November 6, 2004, 05:11:42 pm »
Wouldn't blame CK for the goal, as it was a vicious inswinger with pace.  Upson had the running start vs. a standing.jumping Traore who couldn't get up.  CK did well to get a touch on it before it went to Anderton.  He also robbed Izzet of a glorious chance when he was clean through in the first half, but CK did marvellousl to pounce on the ball at his feet (and got up from the ensuing collision!).

Offline RedForever05

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: November 6, 2004, 05:11:54 pm »
i didnt see the game, could anyone give ratings and a match review? would be apreciated

hoonin

« Reply #8 on: November 6, 2004, 05:33:33 pm »
:wanker :upyours

Offline CanAdrian

• Kemlynite
« Reply #9 on: November 6, 2004, 05:33:52 pm »
Will try and give a review then...

Was a tight game in the midfield from start to finish, and with the wetness it was tough to get balls forward.  JC and SH were solid enough at the back besides letting Izzet through for a good chance that was smothered well by Kirkland.  Still the Reds battled well and Riise held some threat down the left hand side and feeding the strikers (FSP, HK).  FSP and HK did well (in the first half) to control some of these while under tight pressure, but didn't have a lot of options to use and were ~25 yards out with defenders in front.  Garcia was screaming for the ball all game in the first half on the right, being open, but didn't see a ton of the ball.  After sparring in the first part of the game, the Reds got the upper hand and HK had a decent shot on goal from ~25 yards, then Garcia got the ball on the right edge of the 18 yard box but couldn't get enough on it to get it past Taylor (who had a blinder for Brum).  Probably heard about the Garcia chance, but after a bit of ping-pong between HK, FSP and some Brum defenders it lay perfectly in the path of Garcia just slightly to the left of being direct in the middle of the goal 11 yards out, and instead of placing it went for power and NASA would have been proud of the skyward rocket that was his "shot".  Dreadful, dreadful miss.
Brum really didn't generate much in the first half, with old Emile being closed down extremely well by Sami.  Carra worked the ball around well, and Xabi's passing was very, very good (despite the wet conditions, which I'm really pleased to see).  Traore did decent, tried to get forward a bit and tackled decently, though did have one giveaway of a clearance from just outside the 18 yard box that fell to Izzet who put in for Heskey who couldn't handle the volley.  That was it from the Blues in the first half. 
Josemie had a worrying time with Gronkear the whole first half, due to his pace, and after a succession of fouls on the Dane, he got a (deserved) yellow card.

Second half, more of the same - Reds moving forward trying to get it past a battling and hurrying Blue midfield.  Still, enough chances generated to get at least a goal, but again a lot of possession wasted due to lack of control on the slick surface.  Frustrating it was, as the ball would be finally in a good position and then would just slide off the toe and Brum would clear  :no

Hamman was in clear, and should have scored.  Mellor came on for the disappearing and bullied FSP and did all right as a target man, and laid off some good balls and had a minorly decent shout for a penalty in the 92nd minute.  Off that corner, Hamman had it cleared of the line by Izzet with a low shot, which then came out to Garcia who shot to the inside post, where it was again blocked by Izzet (Kop, and players asking for hand ball, and was close...).
Still, couldn't quite get into good positions for crosses and after the Brum goal (see above for details, I don't want to go through it again!  :puke) it was the long ball as the movement seemed to die down, even though there was a sense of urgency (just a lack of organization).

In all, the failure to finish along with Taylor's top performance was what kept us out.  Weather probably didn't help, but both teams play in it.

Here are my ratings (flame me at will  :wave ;
CK - 8 (nothing he could do about the goal...)
J - 6 (get some pace, lad, and a couple of errors led to the goal)
JC - 8
SH - 8
DT - 7
JAR - 6
XA - 8
DH - 7
LG - 5 (too soft, and missed that chance!!!)
FSP - 5
HK - 6

Seems to be a trend there - starting out well at the back, and getting thinner at the front...
anyways, the subs:

Mellor - 6 (didn't look out of place)
Finnan - 6 (created some lanes on the right)
Biscan - 6 (not enough time to put a stamp on the game, but came in and looked purposeful)

Next time lads!   Chins up, and all that...  :-\

Offline surfaris

• Boys Pen
« Reply #10 on: November 6, 2004, 05:37:58 pm »
josemi lack pace. give away too much free kicks,
his rash tackles a recipe to get red card.

hamann - a world class HOLDING CM for a - defensive team.
clearly not us. he s 30s right now. i dont think he ll be the next gary mac (gary offer us CREATIVITY...)

biscan came on, & show some nice touch & creativity in the middle. even the kop chant his name.

Diao is dead. & now hamann can sleep on the bench.

kewell was anynymous, but hell the midfied didnt help either.. they control the game in the 1st half (the 1st time in our home game this season -  still cant believe ???)

can wait  for our captain marvel back in action. (he would control the midfield today)

Offline TRF

• Anny Roader
  • Ukrainian and Liverpool FC fan ? Aha that's me
    • RedBeasts
« Reply #11 on: November 6, 2004, 05:50:09 pm »
very poor performance be Harry and Luis

Offline Jimmy10Men

• Legacy Fan
  • California......Here we come!
« Reply #12 on: November 6, 2004, 06:01:02 pm »
Just wrote a big fat report but lost it.  :no

Anyway.

Ratings

Kirkland 7 - Did nothing wrong, called upon once v Izzet and won it.
Josemi 6 - Mixed bag from him today. Commits too many fouls though.
Hyypia 7 - Not troubled, some nice touches as well.
Carra 7- Not troubled, nice mazy run in the 2nd half as well.
Traore 6 - They had nothing down their right. Djimi's just lacking a bit of confidence on the ball.
Luis Garcia 5 - Awful miss. One of those days for him, couldn't really get into the game.
Hamann 5 - Awful miss. Again, couldn't really influence the game. Would have liked Igor to start ahead of him today
Xabi 6 - Closed down at every opportunity by their midfield. A few nice passes, but not his usual top class self.
Riise 6- Did ok. Not much to say really.
Kewell 5 -  :missus This was a big opportunity for him wasted.
Sinama 5 - No impact unfortunately, struggled to link up with Kewell.

SUBS:
Finnan 5 - A few nice crossing opportunities wasted.
Mellor 5 - Was mostly long ball stuff by the time he got on. Hardly got a kick.
Igor 6 - Nearly threaded someone through with his first touch, but only got 5 minutes.

Anyway, very disappointing result. We HAVE to get a striker in Jan, we had no real threat up front today and can't rely on Baros staying fit and playing every game up top all the way till May.

I don't really like the Hamann/Alonso centre midfield, think that 2 centre mids who sit deep wasn't right for a game like this. We saw what difference it made when Hamann made a rare wander forward, he went clean through!

Anyway, not long till Gerrard and Nunez are available, and Baros is back for next week so let's bounce back in style against Palace next week.

Offline Oscar3

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: November 6, 2004, 06:08:39 pm »
 :puke Before I start let me say i am not gutted in he normal way after defeat or was it a resigned feeling like last season.We are playing some really good stuff,even today.We should have won this game and with Milan we would have done.We looked safe at the back and Alonso was running the game again(What a Buy)!it was obvious our problems were going to come up front and so it turned out.Harry Kewell is Useless at the moment and i cant see it changing.He should go in January to bring in some funding.He no longer has pace and when in direct confontation with a defender he always comes off 2nd best.He is forever giving away the ball and silly free kicks.Pongolle ? I dont think he cuts the mustard either and will never hold down a first team place.Both players failed miserably today with one shot between them(Kewells first half drive).I think we totally dominated the play and the good thing is the ball seems to stick to feet more,we are definately keeping it better.Their goal was totally against the run of play and was bad defending.We must cut these lapses,once we do we will be a great side.Uriah Rennie is piss poor.He never got his book out until it was a red shirt that(Hamman for desent) then Garcia for a challenge on Lilly!(Savage certainly doesnt like being on the receiving end does he?).Rennie also missed a blatant penalty although I missed it as i was already celebrating a Carragher goal,I had him at 22 to 1,So The bastard in Black went blind for a moment .What a surprise eh!All in all a bad result but all the players seem to be starting to gel,and when we get Gerrard back and a good forward line we will be a fuckin good team.A special word for Igor who on one of his storming runs nearly opened them up for an equaliser.He deseves great credit and he is convincing us all hes worth a place in our squad.YNWA   !!!
sons of men who stand like gods

Offline RedForever05

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: November 6, 2004, 06:09:20 pm »
thanks a million lads, realy appreciate it

YNWA

Offline John Barnes Testicles

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 6, 2004, 06:11:38 pm »
we never really looked like scoring, despite getting the ball in their end.  There was enough room that Baros or Cisse would have been able to exploit with a touch of individual magic.

Complete this sentence:

All d___ and no b____.

Offline Steven Gerrard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 6, 2004, 06:14:57 pm »
Bolllocks just found out the result  :no i cant beleve we lost to brum to be honest when i heard milan was out i though we would at least get a draw at least everton lost im too pissed off to write anything coherent  :butt
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time

Offline Jimmy10Men

• Legacy Fan
  • California......Here we come!
« Reply #17 on: November 6, 2004, 06:17:13 pm »
All d___ and no b____.

All Drago and no Balboa?

Offline grandrake

• Boys Pen
« Reply #18 on: November 6, 2004, 06:30:45 pm »
Here's how I saw it:

1 point in 6 against relegation-threatened teams on successive weeks. If this isn't frustrating, I don't know what is. Losing to Birmingham's only meaningful shot at goal - and to Sicknote of all people - made it all so, so much worse.

For the nth time in a row, we made a mess of 1-on-1's with keepers or open goal tap-ins. This time round, Garcia skied (second game in a row?) with the goal at his mercy, and Hamann's low shot was well covered by Taylor (the Brummies' keeper). You can't blame luck when you can't put away open chances, and you can only but hang your heads in shame at the way we defended a needlessly-conceded corner, allowing Anderton to knock in what was perhaps his only touch of the game. Of course, the Brummies had Muzzy Izzet to thank for keeping them in the game with two goal-line clearances in the 2nd half, and Taylor had to earn his keep a bit in the 1st half with saves from Kewell and Garcia. Still, you just could be justified to feel that we didn't really have much of a cutting edge in our game today despite the few good chances, and although Rafa pushed all the right buttons and made all the right substitutions and changes in tactics as the match wore on, they came too late.

I wouldn't even give Birmingham a lot of credit for this win. They never looked like scoring the whole game, though the ease with which Gronkjaer got past Josemi probably raised some alarms. Save for Muzzy Izzet springing the offside trap in the first half and getting robbed by Kirkland, Birmingham really never got into the box except during setpieces. They did do a lot of closing down on our strikers in their half though, and that disrupted the passing and flow of our game somewhat, but they also did make a real good mess a number of times, with mixups between their centrebacks and central midfielders gifting us possession in dangerous areas which we failed to convert into points.

Defensively, I thought we did ok - not stellar, but okay, given that we really didn't have too much of a threat from Heskey to worry about. Gronkjaer was by far their most dangerous option in the first half, but we generally coped okay. Where I had problems with, was again our lack of width. When your widest offensive player is Traore - no offence to him, he tries hard and I think he'll improve over time if he keeps working on it - you have a little bit of problem. Everything gets squeezed into the centre, and the spacing of players gets compressed in that patch. Passes frequently go short, overhit, etc. as guys find themselves with little space to move into, either due to opponents' pressure, or teammates running into their areas. Granted, ball-control and judgment was probably affected by the wet pitch, but still, it's just an excuse. After a few tweaks, we suddenly played wider and opened the game up in the 2nd half, and had a sustained spell of pressure. If the Brummies hadn't floored us with that sucker punch, I've no doubt we'd have nailed them in the end.

Attacking-wise, Rafa really is in a difficult situation given the current lack of depth in the squad. Garcia has shown that he's Murphy II, relishing the chance to get into the middle whenever he wants/can, while Josemi isn't a good wingback option due to his lack of speed (a good run up, lose the ball, and he's not going to get back to cover up). Riise plays wide only up to the 2nd third of the opponents' half, which leaves Traore as the only flank player right now who really sticks to instructions and plays close to the lines and tries to put in crosses. He might not be accomplished in this area, but at least he's playing correctly (if Rafa's stated preference for quick wingers/wingbacks is accurate). Ditto for Finnan - though Finnan is frustratingly inconsistent; he can be whipping in some nasty crosses in one game, but totally shuns crossing in the next. Then you've the likes of Kewell, who's our most effective wide player who plays up front instead. Go further down the list, and you see no other options - Nunez is injured (and the recent interview showing him as preferring to play upfront is really worrying).

For the record, I thought Rafa made the right changes in the team in the 2nd half, though I thought they could've come earlier. Garcia was not doing us any favours playing in the centre when pencilled in on the right, and Rafa pushed him in to the centre by pulling out Pongolle, and inserting Finnan (slotted in at RM). Next came the Riise - Mellor swap, which allowed Kewell to slot into the left where he's most dangerous. The final swap of Biscan for Hamann further rejuvenated the side as he went onto his now trademark surging runs. . The various substitutions, I thought, had their desired effects mostly, but I'd have welcomed them a lot earlier.

One thing did strike me though - that we appeared a little lethargic in the first half, and folks weren't running as hard or as quickly. Maybe it was the midweek CL game that wore out the players - we unfortunately lack the club depth right now to rest/rotate too many players without a significant drop-off in standards.

And how about Baros? How much did we miss him? A lot, judging by what we showed today. As hardworking and as determined as Pongolle is, he lacks Baros' strength and size. We would've asked more challenging questions of the Upson and Cunningham if we had Baros' hard-nosed running in the game. Still, I'd rather he missed a game and recovered fully, than played this one and ended up half-fit all the way.

So, we didn't deserve to lose, and the Brummies didn't deserve 3 points. We did make a mess of it when it mattered though, and we've got only ourselves to blame for that.

Individual Observations:

Kirkland - Didn't have much to do the whole day; came out well to snuff out Muzzy Izzet's breakthrough in the first half, but didn't really need to do much the rest of the game - except to pick the ball out of the net. Bleah.

Traore - Wasn't as solid today as he'd been in the past games, but still, he contributed. Made some really good runs to support the attack, and that move when he ran into the box, checked his run, brought the ball to the right foot (from the left) and dinked a neat chipped pass to a teammate was very well done. Riise wouldn't have been able to do that, we know (the right foot and all). Traore disbelivers would probably have a field day sniping him for his inability to win the header at the far post; the ball eventually falling nicely for Sicknote to bundle home. I see it otherwise though - he simply lost out on a header - he did challenge, and it was the job of his teammates to cover the backdoor. I'd continute to keep him in the starting lineup.

Josemi - Oh dear. I know Gronkjaer, with all his pace, isn't the easiest guy to deal with, but Josemi not only lost out in speed, he lost out in intelligence as well. He resorted to fouling several times to stop his man, and deserved a yellow card for that. Got better in the 2nd half, as the Brummies chose to pack it deep in their halves to gain a point. Josemi showed up as a hard strong man with decent pace when he first joined, but he's now a major liability at the back. I don't want to make a scapegoat of him, but Josemi, in his over-zealousness, needlessly conceded the corner that led to the goal. Carra had his man covered, and being the excellent man-to-man defender he is, Carra perhaps didn't need Josemi charging in like a bull and crashing the ball into the bye line.

Carra and Hyppia - One hairy moment when they somehow allowed Muzzy Izzet to slip through, but otherwise solid games for both of them. I'm not sure what happened for the Brummies' goal - Carra and Finnan were nearest to Anderton, so it's possible between them both, they lost the guy. They looked shocked when Sicknote appeared from behind them to bundle the ball home.

Riise - I'm going to stop writing about growing a right foot, because I'm repeating this ad nauseam. Having said that, I thought Riise did fairly well - nothing spectacular, but helped out in the defence pretty well, while also contributing to the attacks down the left. Crossing needs to improve, as usual.

Garcia - I was utterly disappointed - how can you continuously stare golden opportunities in the face and let them slip away? He just wasn't in the game today. I liked the fact he worked to win the ball, taking the ball off opponents' feet, etc. but his attacking play was woeful today. Passes were to nobody in particular, tried to do too much, like taking on a few people at once in tight spaces, and the greatest sin of all - forsaking his place on the right, and drifting into the central area too much, therefore narrowing our play and making it easier for the Brummies to defend against us. If not for the lack of players we have now who can play RM (Finnan is serviceable but inconsistent), I'd have called for him to be relegated to the bench for the next games until he realizes what those white lines on the field are for.

Xabi - Played well, sweet passing as usual, but his tackling and ball-winning needs more work. Again, I think the Xabi-Hamann combo is serviceable, but the combo everyone's really waiting for is still a couple of weeks away. We missed Stevie G's strong runs today (though Biscan has fancied himself as Stevie G's twin recently, and has done a good impersonation, to be honest).

Hamann - Thought he was quiet today (well, he usually is effectively and efficiently quiet). Like in the midweek game, wasn't at his best today as well.

Pongolle - A lot of hard-running, but some woeful ball-control undid the good work he did in getting into positions. He's a small lad, which means that unlike Baros, it isn't too difficult to muscle him off the ball. I don't think it's fair to comment on his linkage with Kewell, Garcia, etc. since it's really his first meaningful game with the lads.

Kewell - Folks would've hated the way he was so easily pushed off the ball at times, or the way someone could seemingly easily step in and stop him in the midst of a run. However, I liked the intelligence in his game today. He might've lost his pace (and I'm beginning to fear it's permanent), but he showed great football smarts in the way he laid on passes to teammates, or dummied. I still think he's our best wide threat, but his lack of pace these days might be why he isn't getting much time in that position (LM). Plus, Riise's been doing ok there (not great, but serviceable), and moving Kewell to the left would mean having to bump Riise off. With the way Traore's playing, Riise isn't getting into LB, which means it's bench time. With his improved play this season (over the last), Riise probably wouldn't be too pleased with that.

Finnan - Did a lot more from the right in a much shorter time than Garcia did. One thing you won't get from Finnan is an overwhelming tendency to leave battlestations. Put him on the right, with specific instructions to stay wide, and put in crosses or draw defenders up and open the centre, and he'll do that. I thought his introduction really opened up the game for us in the 2nd half.

Mellor - Good to see the lad getting a run-out. Didn't really touch the ball much.

Biscan - Came in, and immediately went on his mazy runs (actually Carra had a simiar but shorter one before that - what's up with these crazy guys pretending to be Maradona... Very Happy). I thought Hamann should've been brought out earlier; Birmingham wasn't being too much of a threat, so swapping out defensive ability for offensive potential was perhaps what we needed to do earlier in the game.

It seems that someone put a curse on us from the Roy Evans era onwards, and we haven't recovered since. Each season, we keep choking a few times against opposition we ought to be beating convincingly. Granted, Birmingham probably isn't as bad as their current position shows, but there was no reason to lose today, especially given the way they played too. 5 points dropped in 2 games, and I think we're probably ready to kiss a top-2 finish good-bye at this rate.
« Last Edit: November 6, 2004, 06:38:05 pm by grandrake »

Offline ratcatcher

• Glass is often half-empty...and it's all Parry's fault
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 6, 2004, 06:33:39 pm »
After the supreme effort the players put in on Wednesday, Im not suprised we couldnt finish today and ended up getting beaten by a sicknote goal.

The pure fact is we are nowhere near good enough despite some of the claims being made. Until we can go away in Europe and get a good result then do the same back home, results like this are always on the cards. The teams who dont have to play midweek when we do have had more recovery time between matches and it does count.

That said, having no recognised out and out striker is a cruel blow and whoever plays as the stand injust has to bag the chances when they come a begging.
These are my own opinions. They are not meant or intended as a criticism of anyone else's opinion just because they are different but if you can't see past that, then tough shit!

Offline John Barnes, Anchorman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 6, 2004, 06:38:36 pm »
Just got back.

Thought it was a game that could have been won easily, but predictably lacked punch in attack as the game went on.

I know this might not be an especially popular opinion, but I'm far far from convinced about Luis Garcia. He's had more bad / indifferent games than good, and his best displays (and all of his goals) have come in games which were more or less won anyway - games which were going pretty well anyway. When we've needed a little bit extra, our supposedly most creative player has been very quiet (today, Chelsea away, United away, Olympiakos away). He is considered to be the sort of player who can turn a game with a little touch or flick or pass or shot, but has yet to do it. There's obviously a lot of promise there, but a lot of supporters talk about him in more elevated terms than he has really earned so far.

Kewell has been alternating between disappointing and dreadful for the best part of a year now, but he looked more of a danger than Garcia today. Yet he gets so much stick. I can see why - it's that rather languid, lazy gait of his. Just think that too many on the Kop seem to arrive with minds already made up about various players.

Agree that Josemi is really struggling at the moment.

Hope people don't get too down about this result though. It's going to happen a few times this season but this wasn't really anything like the games at home to Charlton and Southampton last year.

Offline somebody

• Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: November 6, 2004, 06:47:59 pm »
got a ticket for the game today and was well chuffed.

im pissed off now though.

kewell just isnt interested whatsoever from what i saw, when he played for leeds he was aggresive and hungry whereas now he is just comatose and lax - he has to go cos hes not gonna improve.

josemi is frightfully slow.

jamo and sami were just sheer class today - cant fault em

xabi was good and he did well.

luis garcia needs to be more direct and less fancy

i thought rafa should have got igor on at half time for hamman who is going through a poor patch, his awareness and skill on the ball has gone off.

i cant be arsed saying anymore on the game. i feel sorry for rafa, he has an immense task ahead of him. its gonna take three years before we can even challenge for the title.  :(

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 6, 2004, 06:55:35 pm »
Somebody, I know it's just after the game but have to pick you up on one or two things.

Kewell is never going to improve? Maybe not, but he's still one of too few talented players at the club, and he's had 3 or 4 good months and then 7 or 8 bad ones. Deserves a bit more time. I think the problem with Kewell is a bit like the problem with Collymore. He's either brilliant (rare, admittedly) or awful, because when he doesn't play well he has this lazy, uninterested look about him.

Hamann may be going through a bad period generally, but I thought he was magnificent in Deportivo on Wednesday. The point is he is made for that sort of game, and is more or less a waste of a place in games like this one today. The last manager didn't realise that, I would hope this one would.

Carragher and Hyypia look good together at the moment, but it'll be interesting to see them up against real pace and quality (e.g. when we play Arsenal in a few weeks). Not saying they won't be up to it because they're both very intelligent defenders (know when to drop off, when to play higher up, etc), but that'll be more of a test.

Offline somebody

• Main Stander
« Reply #23 on: November 6, 2004, 07:05:27 pm »
birmingham didnt even test the lads - your right so how can we deal with the likes of arsenal. its rare i get to go the match so it hurts me when i do and we dont win. sob sob.

hurry back stevie.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 6, 2004, 07:15:16 pm »
We've dropped 5 points against shit teams. 2 games we could of easily one had our finishing been better.

The best thing we can hope for is not to drop too far off the leading pack by Jan. Then with Steviey and Nunez back and another striker on board we'll have a much better squad and lets see what happens from there.

I feel absolutely gutted with todays result, maybe because I hate B'Ham so much

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 6, 2004, 07:18:52 pm »
Why do you hate Birmingham so much?  :)

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 6, 2004, 07:26:24 pm »
aw shut the help up 'we want setvie back etc' point is we should have won comfortably against the easily poorest team at anfield this season. They never offered nothing, fuckin alehouse team and a half and on another day mr bruce you wont get the rub of the green.

BTW no one is mentioned Rennie. That BASTARD has cost us points this season with his pathetic style of refereeing, they put him in the lower leagues and frankly should have stayed there. Cost us today as he did against Bolton. If i could have got on the oitch i would have strangled the bastard.

28 quid to watch that idiot ruin the game.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Holiara

• All hail the lovely lady who brings gifts of Baileys to the weary traveller
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #27 on: November 6, 2004, 07:30:30 pm »
birmingham didnt even test the lads - your right so how can we deal with the likes of arsenal. its rare i get to go the match so it hurts me when i do and we dont win. sob sob.

hurry back stevie.

Arsenal just drew against CP.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #28 on: November 6, 2004, 07:37:22 pm »

hurry back stevie.

Dont think you can compare a performance against Brum with a potential performance against Arsenal.

Biggest problem was that Pongolle, though he can cause problems, is not an out-n-out striker, and so cant lead the line out on his own and we havent seen much in the way of finishing from him.

dont really want to comment on individual performances from todays game without having watched it but put it simply, we havent seen anything like a telling contribution from Kewell this season. Today was the kind of game where we needed someone who could give us the edge in a tight game.

people can point to "alright" performances or injuries etc, but the fact remains that he is the only senior attacking player who has not scored this season, made an assist and (and far as I can remember) nor has he made a key pass or run that has lead to a goal

I cant see Harry surviving a summer cull, if Rafa finds himself needing to sell to finance better players.

Harry, you've still got the support of most Liverpoool fans, its time you paid that faith back, cos that support wont last forever

Sorry to turn this into a Harry thread but today was a day where we looked for him to help us out in attack

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 6, 2004, 07:43:25 pm »
aye he was piss poor and cant continue to play like that. He was easily taken off the ball by the opposition and offered jack shit in attack.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

hoonin

« Reply #30 on: November 6, 2004, 07:44:12 pm »
5 home games in the PL. 4 comfortable wins and one almighty fluke of a defeat (from what I can gather?). Things wont always be like today, but every team suffers a day like this once in a while. Perspective people, perspective :)

hoonin

« Reply #31 on: November 6, 2004, 07:48:25 pm »
5 home games in the PL. 4 comfortable wins and one almighty fluke of a defeat (from what I can gather?). Things wont always be like today, but every team suffers a day like this once in a while. Perspective people, perspective :)

Bah.  Shut the fuck up :wanker :upyours

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 6, 2004, 07:50:32 pm »
Have to just mention the two best chances we had today.

First half - Garcia blazed well over when easier to score

Second half - Hamann clean through put it straight at the keeper (he seemed to have too much time if anything). What put him in as I remember was an exquisite dummy by Harry Kewell.

He's just the popular scapegoat at the moment.

I predict Garcia will be subjected to the same within the next 12 months.

Both are worth having around, I reckon. Both frustrating, though.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #33 on: November 6, 2004, 07:51:53 pm »

Yup thats the thing, most of the other players made put in good (or outstanding) performances in recent matches, and we can let them off with the odd bad day at the office.

Moments of magic from Garcia have gone hand in hand with awful misses etc, but we've forgiven him because on the whole hes played very well.

If we were getting the same inconsistancy from Kewell we would be a lil more patient but he's only been consistant at being below par.

The clock is definitely ticking, we've heard how hard the likes of Biscan & Troare have worked to get into the side and have worked hard when on the pitch. If they can do it then Harry has no excuse, not when he has a lot more natural talent at his disposal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 6, 2004, 07:53:13 pm »
Garcia has played well on the whole? Not too sure about that, personally.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #35 on: November 6, 2004, 07:57:28 pm »
Garcia has played well on the whole? Not too sure about that, personally.

Course he has, hes scored goals, created chances and caused problems for defences.

On the flipside, yes he has looked lightweight in more physical games, but then he's a flair player, whos still getting used to playing premiership football!

Harry hasnt got that settling in excuse anymore

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 6, 2004, 08:00:19 pm »
As said before though, he's gone missing (for the whole game) at Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, Athens and Deportivo and at home against Birmingham. All games which needed that touch of class he apparently brings. His goals have come when everything's rosy. Bad sign that.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #37 on: November 6, 2004, 08:02:02 pm »
Not too many good performances today ....

Positives
Sami and Jamie were awesome @ CB and Xabi tried his best to get the lads going

Negatives just about everyone else really with a special mention for Josemi - why he didnt get the hook is beyond me  ???

That said although we didn't play well we had enough chances to win easily. The thick Brummies had one shot game over.

Heskey demonstrated why he was sold and Savage celbrated like he'd just won the fecking treble :upyours

Thought their LB Gray ?? was their best player

Expect to see the words 'Crisis' 'Liverpool' and 'Striker' rearranged in the same sentence & in a Sunday Snoozepaper near you some time soon  :-\
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 6, 2004, 08:04:27 pm »
Gray was brilliant wasn't he? Don't like his 'swagger' though  :)

Josemi is starting to behave a bit like Rigobert Song. Apart from the odd entertainingly bone-crunching challenge, he is beginning to look like a liability in an otherwise impressive defence.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 6, 2004, 08:05:33 pm »

He's just the popular scapegoat at the moment.

Sorry Ben but thats frankly bollox. We had the same with Heskey, a popular scapegoat allegedly. Fact is, Heskey hardly performed and Harry has hardly performed since last xmas so im soory, Harry is getting the criticism he probably needs to kick start his contribution to the team.

I like Harry, think he's an ace player but at the moment i think i could do a much more productive job in the team than him.